Post by BDKJMU »

Second Presidential Debate
Thursday, October 15, 2020
9 pm to 10:30 pm ET
Moderator: Steve Scully (C-SPAN)
President Trump and Former Vice President Joe Biden
The Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts, Miami, FL

Debate Format:
The second presidential debate will take the form of a town meeting, in which the questions will be asked by citizens from the South Florida area. The candidates will have two minutes to respond to each question and there will be an additional minute for the moderator, Steve Scully, to facilitate further discussion. The town meeting participants will be uncommitted voters selected under the supervision of Dr. Frank Newport, Senior Scientist, Gallup.

Worked for Biden as an intern:
https://www.marieclaire.com/politics/a3 ... ve-scully/
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: POTUS Debate #2 10/15, 9 PM ECB

Post by GannonFan »

Part of the danger of journalism creeping from news reporting to opinion-influencing over the past decade or more. It's really hard to find someone who doesn't have a pre-existing bias for these types of events. They should look towards the PBS folks - I like watching them when it comes to these national political events - they may be dry and boring, but they don't really exhibit a lot of personal biases.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:08 am Part of the danger of journalism creeping from news reporting to opinion-influencing over the past decade or more. It's really hard to find someone who doesn't have a pre-existing bias for these types of events. They should look towards the PBS folks - I like watching them when it comes to these national political events - they may be dry and boring, but they don't really exhibit a lot of personal biases.
Lemme introduce you to Yamiche Alcindor.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Will there be a debate, is this the Trump bone spur strategy?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Baldy wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:22 am
GannonFan wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:08 am Part of the danger of journalism creeping from news reporting to opinion-influencing over the past decade or more. It's really hard to find someone who doesn't have a pre-existing bias for these types of events. They should look towards the PBS folks - I like watching them when it comes to these national political events - they may be dry and boring, but they don't really exhibit a lot of personal biases.
I don't think they even had her on during the first debate.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:26 am Will there be a debate, is this the Trump bone spur strategy?
No debate - Trump's schtick in the first one was all about hiding the fact that he hasn't thought about any of the issues that are normally debated at these things, or anything else beside lining his pockets. He would rather come off as the white Idi Amin than have his complete lack of intellect exposed, which would happen within 10 minutes in a real debate. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:37 am
Baldy wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:22 am
I don't think they even had her on during the first debate.
I'm surprised since she is their White House correspondent.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Scully publicly comversing with one of Trump’s fiercest critics if he should respond to the president. No way this guy should be allowed to moderate the debate.
https://www.foxnews.com/media/debate-mo ... d-to-trump
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Didn't Trump quit the debate?

What a pussy.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:31 am Scully publicly comversing with one of Trump’s fiercest critics if he should respond to the president. No way this guy should be allowed to moderate the debate.
https://www.foxnews.com/media/debate-mo ... d-to-trump
The ‘Mooch’ is entertaining.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:44 am Didn't Trump quit the debate?

What a pussy.
Yeah, because Biden wanted to do a ‘virtual’ debate, not a real one.

What a pussy.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

No, the Commission on Presidential Debates did. Because Trump has fucking COVID. :lol:
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:17 am No, the Commission on Presidential Debates did. Because Trump has fucking COVID. :lol:
Certainly wasn't handled very well by the Commission. I think moving to a virtual debate is a sensible move, but the Commission doesn't really have that authority - they exist at the pleasure of the two major parties. Apparently they made this decision without consulting either the Democratic or Republican parties. Trump's response to this is his typical boorishness, but how could the Commission think this was going to end up any differently once they decided to skip the private communications and instead do all of this through the media? Not very well thought through at all.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:17 am No, the Commission on Presidential Debates did. Because Trump has fucking COVID. :lol:
Which he probably won’t by next Thur, Day 15..If he has 2 negative tests by then, no reason they couldn’t do it. Add the plexiglass like they did for the VP debate (except this time don’t forget to add it between the moderator and candidates).

But considering how obviously biased Scully is, I’m glad they’re not doing it.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:08 am

What a pussy.

What a pussy.
You mean the non-partisan commission wanted a virtual debate b/c one of the two is possibly contagious and the very least recovering from a disease? It would be a real debate, debates don't have to occur when 2 people are on a stage beside one another. For example...THIS FUCKING WEBSITE.

Also - it wouldn't be the first POTUS debate done virtually.

Trump needs to grow a pair and stop being a pussy. So do his supporters. You all are a bunch of lemmings.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:28 am
Which he probably won’t by next Thur, Day 15..If he has 2 negative tests by then, no reason they couldn’t do it. Add the plexiglass like they did for the VP debate (except this time don’t forget to add it between the moderator and candidates).

But considering how obviously biased Scully is, I’m glad they’re not doing it.
Probably? If? That's some re-assuring talk.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:07 am

What a pussy.
Has there been a virtual debate since that one that Kennedy and Nixon did back in 1960?
DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

What a pussy.

What a pussy.
You actually think that Trump’s ever engaged in a legitimate debate? :lol:

He interrupts and sticks to the same ol script because he cannot engage intelligently or elaborately.

He’s scared of the ol mute button because his only play will be stripped from the book.

But a one way conversation with himself on Twitter while he’s sitting on the toilet is never a waste of time.

The keyboard warrior = Massive pussy
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:22 am
Ibanez wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:07 am

Has there been a virtual debate since that one that Kennedy and Nixon did back in 1960?
That's the only one I am aware of. If it was good enough for Trump's BFF Nixon, then it should be good enough for him.

But nothing is...he can't physically bully and interrupt the way he wants if it's done virtually. That doesn't play to his base.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

DuckDuckGriz wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:29 am

What a pussy.
You actually think that Trump’s ever engaged in a legitimate debate? :lol:

He interrupts and sticks to the same ol script because he cannot engage intelligently or elaborately.

He’s scared of the ol mute button because his only play will be stripped from the book.

But a one way conversation with himself on Twitter while he’s sitting on the toilet is never a waste of time.

The keyboard warrior = Massive pussy

I love that DDG has returned.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:56 am
GannonFan wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:22 am

That's the only one I am aware of. If it was good enough for Trump's BFF Nixon, then it should be good enough for him.

But nothing is...he can't physically bully and interrupt the way he wants if it's done virtually. That doesn't play to his base.
I'm sure that Trump wouldn't want any debate where he could be silenced/mic turned off. Obviously that's his schtick and without it he would be even more exposed as a buffoon.

With that said, he's not without complaint that changing the rules midstream, and with the case of the Commission changing the type of debate on their own without consulting either participant, is not really a process for change that has been agreed upon. They spend months debating and basically litigating the debate rules - to have the Commission assume that authority and make a change this quickly without consultation was always going to make people balk. Trump being irrational just makes it even worse.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:27 am
Ibanez wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:56 am

I'm sure that Trump wouldn't want any debate where he could be silenced/mic turned off. Obviously that's his schtick and without it he would be even more exposed as a buffoon.

With that said, he's not without complaint that changing the rules midstream, and with the case of the Commission changing the type of debate on their own without consulting either participant, is not really a process for change that has been agreed upon. They spend months debating and basically litigating the debate rules - to have the Commission assume that authority and make a change this quickly without consultation was always going to make people balk. Trump being irrational just makes it even worse.
I don't disagree with changing midstream. But you don't just walk away. Show you're the bigger man...
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:49 am

I don't disagree with changing midstream. But you don't just walk away. Show you're the bigger man...
There's little doubt that Trump is almost never the bigger man.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:52 am
There's little doubt that Trump is almost never the bigger man.
:nod: There's a small hands joke there but that would deflect from the truth of Ganny's post - "Trump is almost never the bigger man."
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

No, you don‘t change midstream last minute with rules that were contractually worked out months ago. If Trump‘s doctor clears him, then there’s no reason not to stick to the agreed upon contract. Heck, the donks already have the moderator on their side with one of Biden (and Kennedy‘s) former employees (esp given his recent tweets).