Political discussions
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Re: 2020 General Election

Post by Baldy »

:?

Just waiting for someone...anyone at CNN, NYT, WaPoo, ABC, NBC, CBS to call out Biden for this. :coffee:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Baldy wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:31 pm :?

Just waiting for someone...anyone at CNN, NYT, WaPoo, ABC, NBC, CBS to call out Biden for this. :coffee:
Someone should ask that moron what exactly is unconstitutional about what the conks are doing. :dunce:
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Biden
"You'll know my opinion on court packing when the election is over."

Even the MSM is questioning this:
This doesn’t make any sense," ABC News correspondent Jonathan Karl reacted.

"The Supreme Court is on the minds of many and people are voting now. He needs to answer," Daily Beast reporter Hanna Trudo wrote.

"This is such a cop-out," CBS News correspondent Kathryn Watson agreed.

"Can he really hold to this same answer for 26 days?" Washington Post fact-checker Glenn Kessler asked.'

"Not sure I've ever seen a politician explicitly say I'm not telling you what I think about an important issue until after you vote for me," Axios reporter Jonathan Swan said.

"I have never seen a presidential candidate go with the 'if I answer your question it will make news' excuse. It's truly insulting, and the media is letting him get away with it," RealClearPolitics co-founder and president Tom Bevan tweeted.

"This question should continue to be asked until Biden commits one way or another," tweeted The Hill media reporter Joe Concha. "A decision of this magnitude altering the course of the third branch of government forever cannot be just shrugged off. This should lead on the nightly newscasts tonight. It won't."
https://www.foxnews.com/media/journalis ... ing-answer
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Biden: The voters don’t deserve to know his position on court packing. :suspicious:

Wow. Talk about condescending. Biden is talking himself into knots over this. Keep asking him everyday. The conks, including every conk senator in a tight race, should be hammering this issue for the next 24 days..
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

I think you Trump people are grasping at straws with this Court packing thing. If I were Biden I'd just say "yes we'll consider that." There aren't a whole lot of people who are going to vote against Democrats because they're worried about increasing the size of the Supreme Court.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Wisconsin blocked from accepting mail-in ballots after Election Day
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/wiscon ... s-election
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Donks in PA are worried that too many Biden voters don’t know how to properly mail in absentee ballots.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-BB19R4ru
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

To add to national LEO organizations endorsements from the FOP and the International Union of Police Associations, and numerous state LEO organization endorsements, the Florida Police Chiefs Association makes first-ever presidential endorsement for Trump.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/florid ... ment-trump
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:03 pm I think you Trump people are grasping at straws with this Court packing thing. If I were Biden I'd just say "yes we'll consider that." There aren't a whole lot of people who are going to vote against Democrats because they're worried about increasing the size of the Supreme Court.
Well if you had half a fucking brain you’d be worried about it.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
LeadBolt
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: William & Mary

2020 General Election

Post by LeadBolt »

JohnStOnge wrote:I think you Trump people are grasping at straws with this Court packing thing. If I were Biden I'd just say "yes we'll consider that." There aren't a whole lot of people who are going to vote against Democrats because they're worried about increasing the size of the Supreme Court.
It’s a symptom of a much larger problem with the Democrats, which has manifested itself in the unprecedented wild 3+year coup attempt, vicious personal attacks on judicial nominees, allowing convicted criminals to vote, encouraging rioting and violence in the streets, turning schools into indoctrination facilities rather than teaching critical thinking techniques, encouraging voter fraud, promoting illegal immigration over legal immigration, and bypassing democracy with executive orders ala “I have a telephone and a pen”., to name a few. Their quest for permanent power without opposition is truly scary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:06 pm To add to national LEO organizations endorsements from the FOP and the International Union of Police Associations, and numerous state LEO organization endorsements, the Florida Police Chiefs Association makes first-ever presidential endorsement for Trump.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/florid ... ment-trump
And the New England Journal of Medicine just made its first endorsement in 208 years.
“Here in the United States, our leaders have failed that test,” the editorial said. “They have taken a crisis and turned it into a tragedy.”

The U.S. “leads the world in Covid-19 cases and in deaths due to the disease,” the editorial says. Its infection and death rates have outstripped those in China, where the pandemic began; in Japan, which has a large and vulnerable elderly population; and in Vietnam, which has fewer national resources. And testing has also lagged behind much of the world, the editorial said, when measured by tests performed per infected person.

“The magnitude of this failure is astonishing,” the editorial said. “We have failed at almost every step.”
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.boston ... -trump/amp
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:37 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:03 pm I think you Trump people are grasping at straws with this Court packing thing. If I were Biden I'd just say "yes we'll consider that." There aren't a whole lot of people who are going to vote against Democrats because they're worried about increasing the size of the Supreme Court.
I just don't think it's something that's going to cause many if any people who would potentially vote for Biden to fail to vote for him. There is a good article on issues pertaining to the Supreme Court at https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wait-gi ... d=73239784.

Yes, if asked the question, a majority opposes expanding the court. But a comparable majority favors letting whoever wins the upcoming election and the next Senate fill the vacant Supreme Court seat. So when you're talking about the Court Trump and the Republicans are engaged in going against the will of the majority right now. It's not a hypothetical.

I understand why the Republicans are doing it. They see polling indicating the majority view on the matter. But I don't think it's likely to have much effect one way or another. I think the only people that are going to be really upset about the prospect are people who really care about having a conservative majority on the Supreme Court and those people aren't voting for Biden anyway.

Notes: This is an ABC News/Washington Post poll. This is one of only 6 polls rated A+ by 538. It has a very small average error (2.8 percentage points off on average) and also very small bias. What bias there is leans left (towards Democrats) but it is very small at only 0.6 percentage points on average. So I think we can be very confident that, when the poll was taken, comparable majorities favored waiting to fill the seat and not expanding the Court.
Could I ever be a star?

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:32 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:37 pm

I just don't think it's something that's going to cause many if any people who would potentially vote for Biden to fail to vote for him. There is a good article on issues pertaining to the Supreme Court at https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wait-gi ... d=73239784.

Yes, if asked the question, a majority opposes expanding the court. But a comparable majority favors letting whoever wins the upcoming election and the next Senate fill the vacant Supreme Court seat. So when you're talking about the Court Trump and the Republicans are engaged in going against the will of the majority right now. It's not a hypothetical.

I understand why the Republicans are doing it. They see polling indicating the majority view on the matter. But I don't think it's likely to have much effect one way or another. I think the only people that are going to be really upset about the prospect are people who really care about having a conservative majority on the Supreme Court and those people aren't voting for Biden anyway.
Same with fracking. People don’t care all that much.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

LeadBolt wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:24 am
JohnStOnge wrote:I think you Trump people are grasping at straws with this Court packing thing. If I were Biden I'd just say "yes we'll consider that." There aren't a whole lot of people who are going to vote against Democrats because they're worried about increasing the size of the Supreme Court.
It’s a symptom of a much larger problem with the Democrats,,,allowing convicted criminals to vote...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If what you are talking about is allowing people who committed felonies but did their time then stayed clean to vote, why would you oppose that? So somebody is 18 years old and they get busted for possessing a gram of cocaine. I'll say it's Florida because according to the Google search I just did that's a third degree felony there and we have that controversy about felons voting going on.

Now the person is 50 years old. They've been clean for over 30 years. They are a productive member of the society involved in various public service projects. Why would you want to deny them the right to vote at that point?

I know why the Republican Party wants to do it. People who have been convicted of felonies are disproportionately members of demographic groups that tend to vote Democrat. But why would any decent PERSON want to do that?
Could I ever be a star?

Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:48 pm
Ibanez wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:46 am

Meh. VPOTUS has no real power. As VPOTUS her Constitutional obligations are to break ties in the Senate and have a pulse.

Besides, if you believe that, then Mexico is going to pay for the border wall.
Mexico paid for the wall. Wrote us a big fat USMCA check just like Trump's fact sheet stated when he was campaigning.

Chizzy was so excited I had proof he begged me for the link.
C'mon, you're kdding right? That's now how trade agreements or the money that comes from such agreements work.

You're joking...you jokey jokster you. :lol:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Col Hogan wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:21 am

2016, thus was, was an outlier in terms of polling. I wouldn't be hanging my hat on a off year.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:23 am

2016, thus was, was an outlier in terms of polling. I wouldn't be hanging my hat on a off year.
2020 is likely to be more of an outlier, with a WAY larger percen tage voting by solicited absentee (does that benefit either side?), or unsolicted mass mailing (donk benefit). Plus you have different state rules. 2 that benefit conks are the PA naked ballot rule and the WI no counting after Nov 3. Plus I believe (nothing to prove it) the % that won’t admit to random pollsters that they are conks & Trump supporters is higher than 2016. Even a few percent makes a difference. This is probably one of the reasona for numerous national polls cited for undersampling conks.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Ibanez wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:22 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:48 pm

Mexico paid for the wall. Wrote us a big fat USMCA check just like Trump's fact sheet stated when he was campaigning.

Chizzy was so excited I had proof he begged me for the link.
C'mon, you're kdding right? That's now how trade agreements or the money that comes from such agreements work.

You're joking...you jokey jokster you. :lol:
If I took Trump literally, then no. But it was pretty obvious he meant through better trade negotiations and other options like fees on visas, when he proposed the ideas in his position papers before he was elected.

I keep saying he sounds like any boss at a big company. No matter how bad something is, it's great! Sounds just like our CEO right now.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

If you hold a campaign rally and nobody shows up, does it make a sound? :lol:
The reporter is baffled that nobody showed up and isn't quite sure how to handle it.

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

All those gaps changed by election day 2016. By election day Trump led in the real clear politics averages for Ohio and North Carolina.

The RCP average for Pennsylvania on election eve 2016 had Clinton up by 1.9. It had Clinton up by 3.4 in Michigan. Yes the averages were narrow one way and the actual outcome was narrow the other way. But that sort of thing happened the other way around too. The RCP average had it as Trump by 0.8 in Nevada and Clinton won that State by 2.4.

All indications are that the race changed between October 10 and election day last time. Things happened like the Comey bomb. No way of knowing if the same sort of thing is going to happen this time.

There is also a very different dynamic in place this time. Last time there was a feeling that Trump could not win. Democrat constituencies did not turn out. It's not going to be like that this time. There is a lot of "get rid of Trump" enthusiasm out there.

Frankly, the thing that worries me most as someone who wants Trump out is the vote by mail thing. I think that if everybody who wants to vote succeeds in doing so the chances are very high that Trump will lose. But I think the biggest problem with vote by mail is people making mistakes so that their votes are not counted. And it seems clear that a much higher proportion of Democrat voters are going to try to vote by mail.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

BTW another difference between now and 2016 is that there are fewer undecided voters at this point.

For example: On October 10, 2016 the Michigan RCP average was Clinton 43.7, Trump 36.0.

On October 10, 2020, it was Biden 49.4, Trump 42.7.

So the gap between Biden and Trump was a little smaller on October 10, 2019. But as of October 10, 2016 only 79.7 percent of the people had made up their minds to vote for one of the two major party candidates. On October 10, 2020, it was 92.1 percent.

I was reminded of this because I just saw a talking head on TV refer to it. He noted that at this point in 2016 there were a lot more people who hadn't made up their minds and that they tended to break late for Trump.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

The latest Gold Standard ABC News/Washington Post poll is up at https://www.langerresearch.com/wp-conte ... Update.pdf.

Some observations I find interesting:

Whites with graduate degrees: Biden 73% (Trump support not reported at the linked page).

Whites with college degrees: Biden 63%, Trump 35%.

Whites without college degrees: Biden 35%, Trump 62%
Could I ever be a star?

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:56 pm

All those gaps changed by election day 2016. By election day Trump led in the real clear politics averages for Ohio and North Carolina.

The RCP average for Pennsylvania on election eve 2016 had Clinton up by 1.9. It had Clinton up by 3.4 in Michigan. Yes the averages were narrow one way and the actual outcome was narrow the other way. But that sort of thing happened the other way around too. The RCP average had it as Trump by 0.8 in Nevada and Clinton won that State by 2.4.

All indications are that the race changed between October 10 and election day last time. Things happened like the Comey bomb. No way of knowing if the same sort of thing is going to happen this time.

There is also a very different dynamic in place this time. Last time there was a feeling that Trump could not win. Democrat constituencies did not turn out. It's not going to be like that this time. There is a lot of "get rid of Trump" enthusiasm out there.

Frankly, the thing that worries me most as someone who wants Trump out is the vote by mail thing. I think that if everybody who wants to vote succeeds in doing so the chances are very high that Trump will lose. But I think the biggest problem with vote by mail is people making mistakes so that their votes are not counted. And it seems clear that a much higher proportion of Democrat voters are going to try to vote by mail.
Historically, not being excited about your candidate, but hating the other candidate, isn’t a good of a turnout driver as being excited about your candidate.

This is going to be a turnout election. The left isn’t excited about Biden. The right being for Trump is going to be a bigger driver than the left against Trump/not excited about Biden.

Yes, vote by mail has higher reject percentages than voting in person. And absent appeals turnarounds, Biden is going to be hurt by vote by mail in 2 crucial swing states, PA (naked ballot rule), and WI (can’t count ballots that arrive after 11/3.
Last edited by BDKJMU on Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Baldy wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:09 pm If you hold a campaign rally and nobody shows up, does it make a sound? :lol:
The reporter is baffled that nobody showed up and isn't quite sure how to handle it.

If you listen to what she says you know that, whatever was going on, the Biden campaign was not seeking to attract a crowd. She talked about them not releasing details about when it was to be held, etc. Whatever was going on, the point was not to have a campaign rally.
Could I ever be a star?