Total votes: 29

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: The Voting Poll about Voting

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:18 pm
89Hen wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:39 pm Serious question.... do you think more votes = a better election?
What's the criteria for a better election?

I think more involvement is always a good thing. People should be encouraged to vote, regardless of their affiliation.
People should be encouraged to understand WHO they’re voting for. The only thing worse than an apathetic voter is an uninformed voter.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

With mass mail in there’s no way for people to show ID.

Also for non citizens & felons who slip through the cracks and get on the voter rolls due to motor voter, once they are on the voter rolls, they would get a ballot year after year after year. And could vote year after year after year, and likely never be found out.

With absentee at least you have to at least solicit the ballot with an absentee application, so anyone on the voter rolls who shouldn’t be is less likely to do that. To a lesser extent with physically going to the polls.

With mass mail in, if I get a ballot in the mail, if I’m a non USC or an ex felon, doesn’t matter, I got a ballot with my name on it, I assume I must be eligible, and I’m voting.

Should get the voter rolls 100% accurate 1st (zero non citizens, dead people, felons) before even considering vote by mass mail.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:30 pm

I think more involvement is always a good thing. People should be encouraged to vote, regardless of their affiliation.
People should be encouraged to understand WHO they’re voting for. The only thing worse than an apathetic voter is an uninformed voter.
Agree 100%. You (don't get upset Col, i'm not calling Tom out) shouldn't vote for a person just because they have a R or D beside their name.
Aria DiMezzo, a self-described “transsexual Satanist anarchist,” won the Republican primary for sheriff in Cheshire County, N.H., last week.

DiMezzo, who ran on the slogan “F--- the police,” noted in a Friday blog post that she “couldn’t possibly have been more upfront about who I am, or my position on things.”

She expressed surprise at the fact that she won the primary, claiming the electorate was “completely and totally oblivious about who they are voting for.” Some 4,000 people cast votes for DiMezzo in the Sept. 8 primary.
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watc ... ty-sheriff

:lol:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:41 pm With mass mail in there’s no way for people to show ID.

Also for non citizens & felons who slip through the cracks and get on the voter rolls due to motor voter, once they are on the voter rolls, they would get a ballot year after year after year. And could vote year after year after year, and likely never be found out.

With absentee at least you have to at least solicit the ballot with an absentee application, so anyone on the voter rolls who shouldn’t be is less likely to do that. To a lesser extent with physically going to the polls.

With mass mail in, if I get a ballot in the mail, if I’m a non USC or an ex felon, doesn’t matter, I got a ballot with my name on it, I assume I must be eligible, and I’m voting.

Should get the voter rolls 100% accurate 1st (zero non citizens, dead people, felons) before even considering vote by mass mail.
We won't ever get voter rolls 100% but I agree that they should be routinely scrubbed. HOw difficult is it to connect various systems of known residents and do a hygiene check against voters roles? There are taxes, drivers licenses, ID cards, etc....

Also agree 100000% that ballots shouldn't be mailed out to everyone. Request a ballot and follow the BAU procedure. Or get your ass down to the polling location. If you can go to Lowes or Piggly Wiggly, you can go vote.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

89Hen wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:39 pm Serious question.... do you think more votes = a better election?

Better... representative of the real wants and needs of the electorate.

While I'm all for encouraging people to vote, why do we need to do that? It's EVERYONE's right to vote. If they don't care, I don't want them voting. I don't think the more the merrier on this one.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:29 am

While I'm all for encouraging people to vote, why do we need to do that? It's EVERYONE's right to vote. If they don't care, I don't want them voting. I don't think the more the merrier on this one.
I support people exercising their rights.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:37 am I’ll always vote in person on election day (unless know am going to be out of town or became physically incapacitated and had to request an absentee). What I’ve done, what my parents did, what my grandparents did, etc. What we’ve been doing for 200 something years. Its as American as apple pie..
Apple pie isn't "American"

Apples were not native to "America".
Pies are not native to "America".

In fact, apple pie originated in England through the Netherlands and the Ottoman Empire. Wheat is from the middle east, pastry fats from the pigs brought over by early European explorers. Spices like cinnamon and nutmeg are Sri Lankan and Indian. The idea of a pastry stemmed from inland Europe - mostly France, Italy and parts of Arabia. Brits and Dutch were making versions of apple pie for centuries before America was even "discovered"

The first recipe for an apple pie didn't appear in the US in any official capacity until 1796.

It wasn't until 1902 that this idea actually even became a thing when a New York Times editorial argued for the dish’s national importance by asserting that pie had become “the American synonym for prosperity." and “Pie is the food of the heroic,”and “No pie-eating people can be permanently vanquished.”

Even then the statement of "as American as apple pie wasn't around until the very late 1920s and was accompanied by other foods such as corn pones.

It's such a weird phrase of some made up bullshit form of patriotism that I've just never understood. Literally nothing about apple pie is American. Apple Pie is as American as BMW, or Honda, or Volkswagon
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:45 am

I support people exercising their rights.
Great, but do you think it results in a better election?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:17 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:45 am I support people exercising their rights.
More participation? "Better" is still subjective. Yes. People getting involved and using their right to elect a leader that best meets their values.

We may not like the outcomes but that's always to be expected.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:25 am
89Hen wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:17 am
More participation? "Better" is still subjective. Yes. People getting involved and using their right to elect a leader that best meets their values.

I'm not sure we're on the same page here. It's not about liking the outcome for me, it's about people voting who are doing so by name, party, look, etc... A good example is local elections for things like school board or sheriff... how many voters do you think could tell you ANYTHING about the candidates, but I'm sure they cast their vote anyway. Meaning, they may be voting for people who DON'T meet their values.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

:clap:
clenz wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:33 am
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:37 am I’ll always vote in person on election day (unless know am going to be out of town or became physically incapacitated and had to request an absentee). What I’ve done, what my parents did, what my grandparents did, etc. What we’ve been doing for 200 something years. Its as American as apple pie..
Apple pie isn't "American"

Apples were not native to "America".
Pies are not native to "America".

In fact, apple pie originated in England through the Netherlands and the Ottoman Empire. Wheat is from the middle east, pastry fats from the pigs brought over by early European explorers. Spices like cinnamon and nutmeg are Sri Lankan and Indian. The idea of a pastry stemmed from inland Europe - mostly France, Italy and parts of Arabia. Brits and Dutch were making versions of apple pie for centuries before America was even "discovered"

The first recipe for an apple pie didn't appear in the US in any official capacity until 1796.

It wasn't until 1902 that this idea actually even became a thing when a New York Times editorial argued for the dish’s national importance by asserting that pie had become “the American synonym for prosperity." and “Pie is the food of the heroic,”and “No pie-eating people can be permanently vanquished.”

Even then the statement of "as American as apple pie wasn't around until the very late 1920s and was accompanied by other foods such as corn pones.

It's such a weird phrase of some made up bullshit form of patriotism that I've just never understood. Literally nothing about apple pie is American. Apple Pie is as American as BMW, or Honda, or Volkswagon
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:43 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:25 am

I'm not sure we're on the same page here. It's not about liking the outcome for me, it's about people voting who are doing so by name, party, look, etc... A good example is local elections for things like school board or sheriff... how many voters do you think could tell you ANYTHING about the candidates, but I'm sure they cast their vote anyway. Meaning, they may be voting for people who DON'T meet their values.

Oh ok. We weren't on the same page. I get your point now for something localized. That is a problem.The candidate for Soil & Water Commission or School Board don't debate, get their names out there or do anything, IMO. That's why the usually run unopposed of you vote for 7 people and..what do you know there are only 7 people to vote for.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:16 pm Oh ok. We weren't on the same page. I get your point now for something localized. That is a problem. The candidate for Soil & Water Commission or School Board don't debate, get their names out there or do anything, IMO. That's why the usually run unopposed of you vote for 7 people and..what do you know there are only 7 people to vote for.
FWIW, I was just using that as an example of a bigger problem that can be applied even to the POTUS election. 73 MILLION people watched the POTUS debate, a huge number. But that means 100,000,000 people who are going to vote, didn't. Not that we learned much from that last debacle, but for many it IS the only time they actually watch either candidate speak for more than a soundbite or read on a Tweet. They don't read the candidate websites for platforms, they don't watch more than one channel of biased news, they couldn't tell you what the candidates have really done or want to do. People like that voting for our POTUS.... no thanks.
catbooster
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by catbooster »

I used to agree with you. I thought the effort (little as it is) to take a little time out of your day and go cast a ballot at the polling place would tend to mean the voters were a little more likely to be informed and care about the issues.

Now I have my doubts. It seems many of the more motivated voters just watch/read/listen to their preferred information source(s) that reinforce their biases. Seems like a lot of them just know the talking points of one side. I question whether they really know more about the issues than someone who ignores the news.

So, I'm not sure it matters anymore. Both parties will continue to put up shitty candidates and the public will continue to vote for one of them based on ... reasons.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:34 pm
Ibanez wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:16 pm Oh ok. We weren't on the same page. I get your point now for something localized. That is a problem. The candidate for Soil & Water Commission or School Board don't debate, get their names out there or do anything, IMO. That's why the usually run unopposed of you vote for 7 people and..what do you know there are only 7 people to vote for.
FWIW, I was just using that as an example of a bigger problem that can be applied even to the POTUS election. 73 MILLION people watched the POTUS debate, a huge number. But that means 100,000,000 people who are going to vote, didn't. Not that we learned much from that last debacle, but for many it IS the only time they actually watch either candidate speak for more than a soundbite or read on a Tweet. They don't read the candidate websites for platforms, they don't watch more than one channel of biased news, they couldn't tell you what the candidates have really done or want to do. People like that voting for our POTUS.... no thanks.
So I shouldn't vote? That was the probably the first debate I've watched in 20+ years. I rarely if ever go to the candidate or major party websites. I can count on one hand the number of times I watch the news on any channel in a year. I get my information from other people and a variety of websites and I filter it for bias based on the source. I understand your point about uninformed voters but people can be informed in ways that you don't list.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Agreed. But to point out:
In 2012 129.1 million voted (wiki). 2016 about 136.7 million people voted. Assuming 140+ million people vote, if 73 million voters watched (at least part of) the debates, then that means about 70 million who are going to vote, didn't.

Carry on..

Edit: 136.7 million, not 135.8
Last edited by BDKJMU on Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

catbooster wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:39 pm

I used to agree with you. I thought the effort (little as it is) to take a little time out of your day and go cast a ballot at the polling place would tend to mean the voters were a little more likely to be informed and care about the issues.

Now I have my doubts. It seems many of the more motivated voters just watch/read/listen to their preferred information source(s) that reinforce their biases. Seems like a lot of them just know the talking points of one side. I question whether they really know more about the issues than someone who ignores the news.

So, I'm not sure it matters anymore. Both parties will continue to put up shitty candidates and the public will continue to vote for one of them based on ... reasons.
I get what you're saying, but somebody who pays attention is going to know more. They may know more biased info, but they will know more legit info as well.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:40 pm

So I shouldn't vote? That was the probably the first debate I've watched in 20+ years. I rarely if ever go to the candidate or major party websites. I can count on one hand the number of times I watch the news on any channel in a year. I get my information from other people and a variety of websites and I filter it for bias based on the source. I understand your point about uninformed voters but people can be informed in ways that you don't list.
No. You should vote because you DO stay informed. People that don't vote because they have to take an hour out of their day once every two years... :coffee: And before you point to the long lines... that's an anomaly.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:55 pm

In 2012 129.1 million voted (wiki). 2016 about 135.8 million people voted. Assuming 140+ million people vote, if 73 million voters watched (at least part of) the debates, then that means about 70 million who are going to vote, didn't.

Carry on..
We shall see. I think the number will top 150m this year.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

89Hen wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:03 pm
In 2012 129.1 million voted (wiki). 2016 about 135.8 million people voted. Assuming 140+ million people vote, if 73 million voters watched (at least part of) the debates, then that means about 70 million who are going to vote, didn't.

Carry on..
I’ll take the under, Alex.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Carry on..
Even IF 150 million voted, it would be less than 80 million who didn't watch the debates, not 100 million as you stated.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:07 pm

I’ll take the under, Alex.
Same here, even with my 900k edit of my above post. (I was wrong- it was about 136.7 million voted in 2016, not 135.8 million).
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

I got you. I understand. The low information/party hack voter is always going to be there and there's only so much that can be done aka sound bites, to get them to know something of a candidate and make a choice. With an incumbent and a long serving Senator and VP, they aren't totally unknown but doing the deep research into their positions and their past are what most people do.

AFAIK, a most people on this board and a few other friends of mine are the only people I know that actually do a deep background review of a candidate.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

The 13th was the last day to register to vote in Oregon and my ballot was mailed to my new address on the 14th! Oregon also publishes voting guides with information on all of the candidates that submit it which can help with the local races and district races. I've filled out the ballot and just need to drop it off at an official box.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm