Political discussions
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Voter Suppresion - Georgia

Post by GannonFan »

Obviously a big topic as you can't help but to see photos and videos of voters standing in line for hours, some lucky enough to have brought along chairs so they can stand in line. From where I come from (PA) this is all foreign to me. Longest voting line I've ever stood in was about ten people deep. And that was even with a polling place that had just two voting machines.

So my question is, what's gone wrong in Georgia over the past day or so and is it voter suppression or something else? If it's suppression, then why? I don't see a lot of details in the news other than claiming it is and despairing for those affected. If it's not suppression, why the lines and what should be done about it?

I'm at that point in the election season where I'm growing weary of hearing the complaining and not hearing the specifics on how to fix it, other than to vote for a person who doesn't have any specifics.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Voter Suppresion - Georgia

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:56 am Obviously a big topic as you can't help but to see photos and videos of voters standing in line for hours, some lucky enough to have brought along chairs so they can stand in line. From where I come from (PA) this is all foreign to me. Longest voting line I've ever stood in was about ten people deep. And that was even with a polling place that had just two voting machines.

So my question is, what's gone wrong in Georgia over the past day or so and is it voter suppression or something else? If it's suppression, then why? I don't see a lot of details in the news other than claiming it is and despairing for those affected. If it's not suppression, why the lines and what should be done about it?

I'm at that point in the election season where I'm growing weary of hearing the complaining and not hearing the specifics on how to fix it, other than to vote for a person who doesn't have any specifics.
Let me guess- donk run district, donk run elections, donk voter suppression of other donks.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Here's what Kalm's political/news magazine du jour had to say about it...

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/10 ... long-lines
The long waits, images of which circulated online Monday, were not limited to heavily Democratic areas; as the Washington Post reported, some small conservative counties were also beset by delays. But, the Post reported, lines were longest in blue areas, which critics blasted as voter suppression.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Local officials are in charge of running the elections. Can’t be conks fault for long lines in donk areas.

So they started voting 22 days before the election. Maybe the early voting days are only designed to handle a small percentage of the electorate a day, which is fine if a large chunk of the electorate doesn’t try to come out on the 1st day. If I saw that large a line, I’d be f it, will come back on another day when there’s little to no line at all..
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:56 am Obviously a big topic as you can't help but to see photos and videos of voters standing in line for hours, some lucky enough to have brought along chairs so they can stand in line. From where I come from (PA) this is all foreign to me. Longest voting line I've ever stood in was about ten people deep. And that was even with a polling place that had just two voting machines.

I've not seen anything in the news...can you provide a link? There's something on Drudge about long lines in Cobb County.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

I'm not seeing the where the voter supression would be. 1st Day of early voting began on a holiday and there's a huge turnout. Some issues with poll boxes which were resolved but long lines.

Are people surmising that huge turnout is a bad thing? Or is a huge turnout + holiday +Georgia's reduction in polling places + the pandemic + plus technical issues as an indication that votes are being suppressed?

Someone help, i'm not connecting the dots here.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:31 am Local officials are in charge of running the elections. Can’t be conks fault for long lines in donk areas.

So they started voting 22 days before the election. Maybe the early voting days are only designed to handle a small percentage of the electorate a day, which is fine if a large chunk of the electorate doesn’t try to come out on the 1st day. If I saw that large a line, I’d be f it, will come back on another day when there’s little to no line at all..
Can't be the donks fault people are turning out to vote and there are minor technical issues with the software that were resolved.

But it is nice to see such a huge turnout...and that Georgia is actually competitive.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:35 am

I've not seen anything in the news...can you provide a link? There's something on Drudge about long lines in Cobb County.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/12/politics ... index.html

https://twitter.com/clairecmc/status/13 ... 7817139206
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Republicans are clearly engaged in voter suppression. It's all over the place and it's obvious.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
WWII
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: UAlbany

Post by WWII »

They've got over 2 weeks to vote.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:31 pm Republicans are clearly engaged in voter suppression. It's all over the place and it's obvious.
:roll: :roll:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

I’m going to go stand in a 2 hour line tomorrow to vote.

I feel so suppressed.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:31 pm Republicans are clearly engaged in voter suppression. It's all over the place and it's obvious.
Wrong Herr Mengele. Giant lines in majority donk run precincts on the 1st couple of days of 3 weeks of early voting doesn't equal voter suppression.

From the left leaning AJC:
Other small things are adding to the longer waits: Voters are taking longer than they would in a primary or non-presidential election year to complete a ballot because of the many races and ballot questions, Royston said. The extra step of printing and scanning a voter’s ballot, part of the new voting machines rolled out early this year, also makes the process slower.

Another factor are voters who requested absentee ballots but come to vote in-person. Poll workers can cancel absentee ballots, but the extra steps require more time.

Even if everything else in the voting process was perfectly executed, the reduced capacity of many longtime polling places meant fewer people could cast a vote at once. The number of issuing stations — where voters check in and get the card used to cast their ballot — was reduced in some locations to allow for social distancing. The bulky machines which require a separate scanner take up more room than the voting machines used in previous years, allowing for fewer in each room.
https://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta-news/l ... 6K5U6F7UU/
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

Am I missing something? It's a couple weeks before the actual election. If I were to go early, I'd drive there, see the long ass line, and say to myself "Self, not today." and turn around.

WTF
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:53 am
Ibanez wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:35 am

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/12/politics ... index.html

https://twitter.com/clairecmc/status/13 ... 7817139206
The twitter link doesn't work but the CNN article is similar to another one I had read.

Record turnout. Technical glitches that were resolved. 1st day of voting into coincide with a holiday. I'm not seeing the supression.

I do see the GOP getting antsy that people are coming out in droves.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

What? Where? What are you talking about!?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:28 pm
Wrong Herr Mengele. Giant lines in majority donk run precincts on the 1st couple of days of 3 weeks of early voting doesn't equal voter suppression.

Other small things are adding to the longer waits: Voters are taking longer than they would in a primary or non-presidential election year to complete a ballot because of the many races and ballot questions, Royston said. The extra step of printing and scanning a voter’s ballot, part of the new voting machines rolled out early this year, also makes the process slower.

Another factor are voters who requested absentee ballots but come to vote in-person. Poll workers can cancel absentee ballots, but the extra steps require more time.

Even if everything else in the voting process was perfectly executed, the reduced capacity of many longtime polling places meant fewer people could cast a vote at once. The number of issuing stations — where voters check in and get the card used to cast their ballot — was reduced in some locations to allow for social distancing. The bulky machines which require a separate scanner take up more room than the voting machines used in previous years, allowing for fewer in each room.
Donk or Conk, it doesn't matter. People turning out to vote is a good thing. Are the Proud Boys or Black Panthers intimidating voters? Are there bands of people out there harassing people in line?

I don't see the supression...or maybe GFs title is tongue in cheek?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:32 am
BDKJMU wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:28 pm

Donk or Conk, it doesn't matter. People turning out to vote is a good thing. Are the Proud Boys or Black Panthers intimidating voters? Are there bands of people out there harassing people in line?

No, an honest question. Voter suppression is assumed to be a solid fact, and those images of the long lines of voters in Georgia were beamed worldwide as absolute proof of that suppression. Being an engineer, I like to fix things, so my question was 1) was that voter suppression? 2) what caused that alleged voter suppression to happen and 3) what needs to change so that we don't have that happen again. Like most things political, there's a lot of casting about of name-calling and accusations and very little substance, and certainly no attempt to fix, things that might be wrong.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:57 am

No, an honest question. Voter suppression is assumed to be a solid fact, and those images of the long lines of voters in Georgia were beamed worldwide as absolute proof of that suppression. Being an engineer, I like to fix things, so my question was 1) was that voter suppression? 2) what caused that alleged voter suppression to happen and 3) what needs to change so that we don't have that happen again. Like most things political, there's a lot of casting about of name-calling and accusations and very little substance, and certainly no attempt to fix, things that might be wrong.
Oh, I didn't read it as suppression. Just some good ole voting.

With polls showing Biden up 7pts in Ga, you'd think CNN and their ilk would have a more positive spin on it.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:04 am

Oh, I didn't read it as suppression. Just some good ole voting.

With polls showing Biden up 7pts in Ga, you'd think CNN and their ilk would have a more positive spin on it.
Nothing will be good or positive for CNN until Biden is the President. Until then we are living in the apocalypse. I mean, Pelosi just accused CNN of being GOP apologists, we have to be in the end times if that's really true. :coffee:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:08 am I mean, Pelosi just accused CNN of being GOP apologists
She went nuts on Wolf yesterday or the day before. She is one ugly person. :ohno:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

The suppression typically occurs WAY before the polls open so no, the long lines are not suppression, they’re symptoms.

Observers using Election Day intimidation tactics and illegal vote accounting would be suppression.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:47 am
GannonFan wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:08 am I mean, Pelosi just accused CNN of being GOP apologists
She went nuts on Wolf yesterday or the day before. She is one ugly person. :ohno:
If we could at least get rid of all the people in government who are 80 years and older that would be a good start. Maybe even 75 or older would work too. I'd go as low as 70 years old but I'm sure I'd offend some posters here.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:54 am

The suppression typically occurs WAY before the polls open so no, the long lines are not suppression, they’re symptoms.

Observers using Election Day intimidation tactics and illegal vote accounting would be suppression.
Well, there are plenty of people calling up those photos and videos and calling it suppression. Like I said, it irks me that we call it that but then never seem to want to wade into the deep end to figure out how to fix things. I get the sense we don't really want to fix things if it can be a wedge issue every election. It's like immigration in that way. Why solve something if you can campaign on it? :coffee:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:24 am
kalm wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:54 am

Well, there are plenty of people calling up those photos and videos and calling it suppression. Like I said, it irks me that we call it that but then never seem to want to wade into the deep end to figure out how to fix things. I get the sense we don't really want to fix things if it can be a wedge issue every election. It's like immigration in that way. Why solve something if you can campaign on it? :coffee:
True.