2020 General Election

Political discussions
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Re: 2020 General Election

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Baldy wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:59 am What I don't understand is why haven't they called the Senate race yet. Purdue is up 2.5 points and by well over 100K votes.
Because he needs to avoid a runoff to win it. That is closer than the POTUS election currently.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
catbooster
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by catbooster »

I guess it's over. Trump has claimed Pennsylvania, Georgia, North Carolina and Michigan.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 0141082624

All that stuff you guys are discussing are moot points.

You just need to be the first one to claim a state? I need to read my constitution again as I didn't remember that part. I'm kind of embarrassed my memory is so bad. :ugeek:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

I'm having trouble squaring how Republicans had a great performance down ballot, but apparently these same voters pulled the lever for Biden when it came to the Presidency?

Lots of fortuitous bounces for Joe here that I haven't seen good explanations for yet.
Last edited by SeattleGriz on Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Baldy wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:59 am
Ibanez wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:38 am

I was wondering how they can ensure the integrity of vote counting. Fox News asked how can they make sure nobody is adding or removing ballots from being counted in Ga. Raffensperger told them the chain of custody and monitoring would catch it. The people that open the ballots give it to someone that flattens them, verifies the # of ballots and then gives it to someone to actually tally - after they verify the number. On top of this, election monitors from both parties and internationally are watching.
We have a good process in place, but Fulton Co. is just so inept that it makes the whole process look shady.

BTW, Trump's lead is down to 18,144. I don't think they're gonna have enough votes to overcome his lead.

What I don't understand is why haven't they called the Senate race yet. Purdue is up 2.5 points and by well over 100K votes.
:thumb: :thumb:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Because in many cases (but not all) Trump is less popular than the down ballot candidates. Examples would be Collins and Thom Tillis doing better than Trump in Maine and North Carolina. Democrats were hoping Trump would drag down those candidates more than he did.

On the other hand, McSally is doing *worse* than Trump in Arizona.
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

SeattleGriz wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:23 am I'm having trouble squaring how Republicans had a great performance down ballot, but apparently these same voters pulled the lever for Biden when it came to the Presidency?

Lots of fortuitous bounces for Joe here that I haven't seen good explanations for yet.
Because in many cases (but not all) Trump is less popular than the down ballot candidates. Examples would be Collins and Thom Tillis doing better than Trump in Maine and North Carolina. Democrats were hoping Trump would drag down those candidates more than he did.

On the other hand, McSally is doing *worse* than Trump in Arizona.

Biden won moderates 64-33 and Independents 54-40. I'd bet most of the non straight ticket votes would fit into those buckets.
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

SeattleGriz wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:23 am I'm having trouble squaring how Republicans had a great performance down ballot, but apparently these same voters pulled the lever for Biden when it came to the Presidency?

I didn't vote Trump or Biden but voted Republican down ballot. I'm sure this happened quite often this year.
Rob Iola
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Lurking

Post by Rob Iola »

Could so-called "faithless electors" play a role in deciding who wins, particularly in Pennsylvania? And even though the Supreme Court has recently ruled in favor of binding electors, could this possibly be relitigated now that the court balance has become more conservative (and with Trump looking for reasons to go there)?
Proletarians of the world, unite!
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

With there being a lot more red counties than blue ones nation wide, it sure seems fishy that it's mostly Donk counties saying "whoopsie, here's a whole crate full of ballots we didn't count".

To be fair, incompetence is an entirely plausible explanation. :lol:
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
Rob Iola
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Lurking

Post by Rob Iola »

Many independents split their ballot for "balance". With Trump being so polarizing it's very easy to balance a vote against him with a vote for a republican senator.
Proletarians of the world, unite!
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Oh WTF.

This is actually a state Trump *needs* to keep counting.

But, this is absolutely fucked.

- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:57 am Oh WTF.

Republican sanctioned voter supression. Congrats, Conks. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Should finally get some info from Nevada.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

This is BS. Put the NG outside every vote counting location, everywhere.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

:lol:

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Biden lead widens in Nevada

Biden 597,353
Trump 585,311
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Trump gets closer in Nevada

Biden 598,003
Trump 586,545
catbooster
Level2
Level2

Post by catbooster »

Pwns wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:47 am With there being a lot more red counties than blue ones nation wide, it sure seems fishy that it's mostly Donk counties saying "whoopsie, here's a whole crate full of ballots we didn't count".

To be fair, incompetence is an entirely plausible explanation. :lol:
I'm not surprised by it. Most of the D counties are higher population. Around here, I'm sure it's much easier for a county with 500 people to get their ballots counted than one with 100,000. Hard to misplace the crate of ballots when there is only one crate.

Or incompetence. Never let it be said that the government can't mess something up.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Perdue under 50%.

Likely 2 runoff elections in Jawjuh to decide the Senate.
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
catbooster
Level2
Level2

Post by catbooster »

Not surprising at all to me. People have argued in favor of voting for gridlock as long as I can remember.

If you want to vote for Biden but you're worried about the donk extremists having too much pull if he gets elected (or worried about Kamala taking the reins), put in a house and/or senate that won't approve any of it.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:47 am
BDKJMU wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:41 am
Not sure about GA, there’s accusations in PA and other states that conk pollwstchers aren’t being allowed close enough to verify that signatures match and postmarks are valid & for 11/3 or earlier. You can’t do that unless you’re right at the table.
PA will have to answer that. Wisconsin's election rep was saying yesterday that they've had no requests for more access. Anyone can go watch.

There'll always be accusations...and they should be followed up.
The PA stuff just shows the reality of how we conduct elections and the tabulation afterwards - they're kind of inefficient, messy, and prone to errors (and some people will say manipulation). In regular times, no one cares if you're off by a few thousand or so, or more, when the counting is done. But in elections where those errors matter, it starts to be a big a deal.

The issue in PA with allowing mail in ballots without postmarks - they just assume they were mailed before the Election Day deadline unless there's strong evidence they weren't (not sure how you could prove that without a postmark) - to be counted is one of the oddities of PA, and certainly something that could be cleaned up to reduce the doubt and the lack of faith people have in the process.
In its ruling, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court said that ballots could be counted if they were received by 5 p.m. Nov. 6, as long as they were mailed by Election Day, Nov. 3. It also said that ballots without a postmark would "be presumed to have been mailed by Election Day" unless there was strong evidence to the contrary.

Before this year, the state required absentee ballots to be received by Election Day. But Democrats pushed for the extension because of concerns that postal delays would disenfranchise some of the millions of Pennsylvania voters who are expected to cast their ballots by mail this year because of the pandemic.
https://www.npr.org/2020/10/19/92241117 ... ection-day
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Nevada is updating regularly, Biden still up by 10,000+
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

VoTeR fRaUd DoEsNt ExIsT

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:33 am
Ibanez wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:47 am

PA will have to answer that. Wisconsin's election rep was saying yesterday that they've had no requests for more access. Anyone can go watch.

There'll always be accusations...and they should be followed up.
The PA stuff just shows the reality of how we conduct elections and the tabulation afterwards - they're kind of inefficient, messy, and prone to errors (and some people will say manipulation). In regular times, no one cares if you're off by a few thousand or so, or more, when the counting is done. But in elections where those errors matter, it starts to be a big a deal.

The issue in PA with allowing mail in ballots without postmarks - they just assume they were mailed before the Election Day deadline unless there's strong evidence they weren't (not sure how you could prove that without a postmark) - to be counted is one of the oddities of PA, and certainly something that could be cleaned up to reduce the doubt and the lack of faith people have in the process.
In its ruling, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court said that ballots could be counted if they were received by 5 p.m. Nov. 6, as long as they were mailed by Election Day, Nov. 3. It also said that ballots without a postmark would "be presumed to have been mailed by Election Day" unless there was strong evidence to the contrary.

Before this year, the state required absentee ballots to be received by Election Day. But Democrats pushed for the extension because of concerns that postal delays would disenfranchise some of the millions of Pennsylvania voters who are expected to cast their ballots by mail this year because of the pandemic.
https://www.npr.org/2020/10/19/92241117 ... ection-day
That all makes sense. You have all the time in the world to get your ass to the mail box, post office or voting place to drop off a ballot.

Here's what I don't get - You put a ballot in the mail box or take it to the post office. It gets sent. How does it NOT have a post mark?
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:59 am
Skjellyfetti wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:57 am Oh WTF.

Republican sanctioned voter supression. Congrats, Conks. :clap: :clap: :clap:
It would be acceptable if blm did this though. :twocents: