Political discussions
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by 89Hen »

I guess I'm happy to live in a state that really has no problems with Covid. But it does make it seem like it's way overblown. 2.5% of our population have tested positive. I guess that's why I literally don't know a single person first hand in MD who has had it. :suspicious:
OL FU
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Furman

Post by OL FU »

89Hen wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:26 am I guess I'm happy to live in a state that really has no problems with Covid. But it does make it seem like it's way overblown. 2.5% of our population have tested positive. I guess that's why I literally don't know a single person first hand in MD who has had it. :suspicious:
Even Covid doesn't want to live in Maryland :o :? :? ;)
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

OL FU wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:18 am
89Hen wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:26 am I guess I'm happy to live in a state that really has no problems with Covid. But it does make it seem like it's way overblown. 2.5% of our population have tested positive. I guess that's why I literally don't know a single person first hand in MD who has had it. :suspicious:
:rofl: :rofl:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:33 am MInnesota deaths per day are nearing the first peak numbers. Minnesotans not taking care of elderly and vulnerable.
Yes, with SEVEN TIMES as many cases. Death rate is almost unmeasurable at this point.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

OL FU wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:18 am
:lol: Good to see you old friend.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:19 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:33 am MInnesota deaths per day are nearing the first peak numbers. Minnesotans not taking care of elderly and vulnerable.
Yes, with SEVEN TIMES as many cases. Death rate is almost unmeasurable at this point.
Verified cases. During the first peak, we didn't know how many verified cases there were, plus the treatments were still in the beginning phases. There are still deaths that can be prevented with precautions for the vulnerable.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:00 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:19 pm

Verified cases. During the first peak, we didn't know how many verified cases there were, plus the treatments were still in the beginning phases. There are still deaths that can be prevented with precautions for the vulnerable.
I'm not understanding what you are saying here. Do you mean "total" or "actual" cases? How would we not know how many "verified" cases there were unless the state wasn't reporting them?
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

So Pfizer announced that the early results of their vaccine is showing a 90% efficacy. That is in the high range of overall vaccine efficacy (measles, polio, etc.). That is huge news.

I said way back when that there would never be a vaccine for this because it was believed at the time that there would be seasonal fluctuations that would make it difficult to determine efficacy. But since the warm weather had little to no effect, they had enough time to effectively run the trials.

It's going to take a while to work this through the population, but at least we have hope for the future. Thanks, Biden.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

CAA Flagship wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:00 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:00 pm

I'm not understanding what you are saying here. Do you mean "total" or "actual" cases? How would we not know how many "verified" cases there were unless the state wasn't reporting them?
During the first peak, there was limited testing. Even people that were sent home with what the Doctors believed was Covid, were not tested. Most of these people were young and didn't have serious enough symptoms to be hospitalized and were not tested. These people were believed to have covid, but it wasn't verified with a test.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

CAA Flagship wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:06 am So Pfizer announced that the early results of their vaccine is showing a 90% efficacy. That is in the high range of overall vaccine efficacy (measles, polio, etc.). That is huge news.

I said way back when that there would never be a vaccine for this because it was believed at the time that there would be seasonal fluctuations that would make it difficult to determine efficacy. But since the warm weather had little to no effect, they had enough time to effectively run the trials.

It's going to take a while to work this through the population, but at least we have hope for the future. Thanks, Biden.
Pfizer is saying they have 50 million doses that could be administered by the end of the calendar year. 1.5 billion by the end of 2021. Heck, they're going to have to give that COVID taskforce that's supposed to take over on Jan 20th something else to do if these numbers and the efficiency are correct. If we do this well, no reason not to have everyone in America (or enough to make it effective) vaccinated by the spring or worst case early summer.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:13 am
CAA Flagship wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:00 am
During the first peak, there was limited testing. Even people that were sent home with what the Doctors believed was Covid, were not tested. Most of these people were young and didn't have serious enough symptoms to be hospitalized and were not tested. These people were believed to have covid, but it wasn't verified with a test.
So you are saying you worded that highlighted sentence wrong?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

CAA Flagship wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:27 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:13 am

Anything can happen when I'm watching Boardwalk Empire and typing from my phone at 7pm at night.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Still time to reduce deaths and hospitalizations before a vaccine is doing its thing. Even Republican governors are forced to I moo pose new restrictions. Btw, all of these measures were being suggested back in March-April. :coffee:

https://www.deseret.com/platform/amp/ut ... myJpQhlM68
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

kalm wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:15 am Still time to reduce deaths and hospitalizations before a vaccine is doing its thing. Even Republican governors are forced to I moo pose new restrictions. Btw, all of these measures were being suggested back in March-April. :coffee:

Well, I don't MOO POSE anything.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

kalm wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:15 am Still time to reduce deaths and hospitalizations before a vaccine is doing its thing. Even Republican governors are forced to I now pose new restrictions. Btw, all of these measures were being suggested back in March-April. :coffee:

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

andy7171 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:29 am
kalm wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:15 am Still time to reduce deaths and hospitalizations before a vaccine is doing its thing. Even Republican governors are forced to I moo pose new restrictions. Btw, all of these measures were being suggested back in March-April. :coffee:

Oh you will.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

There are pictures from your freshman football hazing ceremony that say otherwise ... :D
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:50 am
CAA Flagship wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:27 am
Anything can happen when I'm watching Boardwalk Empire and typing from my phone at 7pm at night.
:rofl: :rofl: :notworthy: :notworthy:
I binged that entire series in a week and a half over the summer.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

CAA Flagship wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:54 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:50 am

:rofl: :rofl: :notworthy: :notworthy:
I binged that entire series in a week and a half over the summer.
I like how they bring historical people into the story. Al Capone, Lucky Luciano, Mayer Lansky, Jack Dempsey, etc.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Vaccine is 90% in trials

Pfiser Link

The vaccine is the first to be tested in the United States to generate late-stage data. The companies said an early analysis of the results showed that individuals who received two injections of the vaccine three weeks apart experienced more than 90% fewer cases of symptomatic Covid-19 than those who received a placebo. For months, researchers have cautioned that a vaccine that might only be 60% or 70% effective.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

CAA Flagship wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:06 am So Pfizer announced that the early results of their vaccine is showing a 90% efficacy. That is in the high range of overall vaccine efficacy (measles, polio, etc.). That is huge news.

Oooh, they just barely missed releasing that information in time for the election! :lol:
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:03 am Vaccine is 90% in trials

Pfiser Link

The vaccine is the first to be tested in the United States to generate late-stage data. The companies said an early analysis of the results showed that individuals who received two injections of the vaccine three weeks apart experienced more than 90% fewer cases of symptomatic Covid-19 than those who received a placebo. For months, researchers have cautioned that a vaccine that might only be 60% or 70% effective.
They had to wait until after the election to release that info.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:44 am

Pfiser Link

Trump is still President until January 20th. He gets the credit.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:44 am

Pfiser Link

Already ahead of Reagan I see.