Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: 2020 General Election

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:23 am
kalm wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:26 am

What kind of lists?
Ask AOC, her peeps are the ones pushing it.
This one is one of the funnier whines. She’s hoping someone is “archiving” all the dumb statements to be used against them in the future.

Archiving like every media outlet, political campaign, and 89hen does...

:lol:
catbooster
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by catbooster »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:26 am
kalm wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:30 am

It flipped the election?
Yep, it impacted a MI state legislature seat. An article on it was posted earlier.
It flipped the final result of the election, or it might/would have if they hadn't caught it? Impacted is a pretty generic term.

I thought I read it had the potential to change the outcome but was caught and fixed. That implies to me that the system worked because even though there was a problem, it got caught and fixed before any results were finalized.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

catbooster wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:50 am
SDHornet wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:26 am

Yep, it impacted a MI state legislature seat. An article on it was posted earlier.
It flipped the final result of the election, or it might/would have if they hadn't caught it? Impacted is a pretty generic term.

I thought I read it had the potential to change the outcome but was caught and fixed. That implies to me that the system worked because even though there was a problem, it got caught and fixed before any results were finalized.
One guy was announced the winner, then it changed to the other candidate based on the "software glitch".
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:42 am

This one is one of the funnier whines. She’s hoping someone is “archiving” all the dumb statements to be used against them in the future.

Judges too?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:23 pm

Judges too?
:suspicious:

I don’t know, but lawyers sure as hell do.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Is that all she's hoping for? Keeping a list of "offenders" smells a little like Nazism to me.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

The "software glitch" doesn't sound like a software issue... but, user error. It affected one county and was quickly remedied. It certainly doesn't sound nefarious.
There was no problem with the voting machines or vote totals, which were preserved on tapes printed from the tabulators, the state said. The problem occurred when the totals by precinct were combined into candidate county-wide totals for transfer to the state, using election management system software, the state agency said.

J. Alex Halderman, the U-M professor and voting systems expert, said he has looked into the incident and determined that the problem arose because Antrim officials made a mistake before the election when they loaded a new version of the "election definition" — the data that is similar to a spreadsheet describing the races and candidates on the ballot.

According to the state, the new "election definition" was loaded in October after county officials learned of two local races in which ballot information had to be updated.

County officials correctly loaded the new version onto the scanners for the affected precincts, but left the old version on scanners for precincts where the ballot was not affected by the late change, Halderman said.

So although the scanners in the tabulators counted all the votes in each precinct correctly, the different versions of the ballot resulted in problems and erroneous vote totals when the precinct results were combined in the election management system, a separate software package used to manage and consolidate results before they are reported to the state, he said.

"Since the scanners used slightly different election definitions, some of the positions didn't line up properly," Halderman said. "As a result, when the results were read by the election management system, some of them were initially assigned to the wrong candidates."

State officials did not immediately respond to questions about whether they track when and how local officials update their election-related software or whether local officials are required to report needed updates or late ballot changes to the state, once they are completed.

But they said any such errors in any county would be caught during the canvassing process, before results are declared official, when boards composed of two Democrats and two Republicans compare the numbers on the tapes printed from the tabulators to the unofficial results that were reported to the state.
https://www.freep.com/story/news/politi ... 194745002/
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

kalm wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:49 am
Ibanez wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:44 am

You may base your vote off policies but ultimately you're voting for a person. And that person is going to be flawed - some more than others. It's something you have to weigh. And yes, by supporting Trumps policy you are giving the man your support. I didn't say you give him 100% of your support of you agree with every thing but it's stands to reason that support of one is an implied support of the other - at least to some extent.

We've gone over this, the character of a person matters to me. I care what people say and do. It shows me what kind of person they are and how they'll reach to situations. For example, If they show no compassion, empathy or humility then I wouldn't expect their actions or decisions to contain any of those elements.
:nod:
:ohno: :ohno:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:47 pm

Is that all she's hoping for? Keeping a list of "offenders" smells a little like Nazism to me.
So we’re all Nazis now on! Yay!

I know that’s what people are driving at. Banning list keeping would be more along the Nazi angle.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:49 am
Ibanez wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:44 am

You may base your vote off policies but ultimately you're voting for a person. And that person is going to be flawed - some more than others. It's something you have to weigh. And yes, by supporting Trumps policy you are giving the man your support. I didn't say you give him 100% of your support of you agree with every thing but it's stands to reason that support of one is an implied support of the other - at least to some extent.

We've gone over this, the character of a person matters to me. I care what people say and do. It shows me what kind of person they are and how they'll reach to situations. For example, If they show no compassion, empathy or humility then I wouldn't expect their actions or decisions to contain any of those elements.
Nice backtrack. According to your original statement,
Ibanez wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:02 am Right, but by supporting his policies, you've supported the man.
So by the logic of your statement, if you are not against any of the stuff that’s got broad bioartisan support like USMCA, VA Reform, CJ reform, ME Peace deal, etc, then you supported Trump.
My logic is that you can't disassociate the policy from the politician.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

CAA Flagship wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:49 pm
kalm wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:49 am

:nod:
The beauty of America - we can disagree and the Brown Shirts aren't going to be knocking on our doors. :thumb:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:32 pm
UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:47 pm

I know that’s what people are driving at. Banning list keeping would be more along the Nazi angle.
Yep. Trump's a Nazi. AOC's a Nazi. We're all Nazis now.

You have more faith in AOC's long-term intentions than I do.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
catbooster
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by catbooster »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:22 pm
catbooster wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:50 am

One guy was announced the winner, then it changed to the other candidate based on the "software glitch".
Announced in the typical election night news media projections, or the certified results?
The wrong person will be serving in the office?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Saw that the two Georgia Republicans for Senate are calling in the Republican Sec. of state to resign.

This is getting ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:49 pm

How about we agree that we don't want either Trump or AOC leading the country...
:thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:49 pm

How about we agree that we don't want either Trump or AOC leading the country...
:thumb:
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:24 pm Saw that the two Georgia Republicans for Senate are calling in the Republican Sec. of state to resign.

This is getting ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TBQH, I don't disagree. All the election stuff notwithstanding, he's done a pretty horrible job all around.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

I don't know how you people who support Trump do so in good conscience. There are plenty of examples over many years of why one would wonder how any decent person can support the guy. But here is another one:

https://www.wtae.com/article/lawsuits-t ... n/34620870

That's not about voter fraud. That is about trying to nix the votes of hundreds of thousands are even millions of people who cast their ballots in good faith.

Then there is this:
The lawsuit also charges that “Democratic-heavy counties” violated the law by identifying mail-in ballots before Election Day that had defects — such as lacking an inner “secrecy envelope” or lacking a voter’s signature on the outside envelope — so that the voter could fix it and ensure that their vote would count.

A similar claim by Republicans was dismissed in a state court Friday. Democratic voters submitted almost three times as many ballots by mail as Republicans.

The lawsuit asks the court to prevent the state and six counties named in it from certifying the results of the election, and to require them to invalidate ballots cast by voters who were given an opportunity to fix mail-in ballots that were going to be disqualified for a technicality.
So, again, they are trying to eliminate votes by people making an honest effort to express their intent. These people are awful. The majority of the people who voted in Pennsylvania clearly wants Biden. And these people are tying to nix that through getting votes nixed for technicalities. Thwart the Will of the People.

It's absolutely disgusting. And you people who support the Republican Party right now need to do something about your moral compasses.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

BTW, it goes way beyond Pennsylvania. The Will of the People was expressed and it is clearly that The People want Joe Biden to be President. That will is reflected both in the popular vote and, thankfully, the geographically distributed vote made necessary by the absurd Electoral College system. Trump and his people spouted a lot of bullshit about Democrats trying to steal the election. But trying to steal the election is exactly what Trump and his people are trying to do now.

If you are a decent person you are not going to continue to support this guy and you are not going to continue to support the Republican Party that enables him.
Could I ever be a star?

Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

JohnStOnge wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:32 pm I don't know how you people who support Trump do so in good conscience. There are plenty of examples over many years of why one would wonder how any decent person can support the guy. But here is another one:

https://www.wtae.com/article/lawsuits-t ... n/34620870

That's not about voter fraud. That is about trying to nix the votes of hundreds of thousands are even millions of people who cast their ballots in good faith.

Then there is this:
The lawsuit also charges that “Democratic-heavy counties” violated the law by identifying mail-in ballots before Election Day that had defects — such as lacking an inner “secrecy envelope” or lacking a voter’s signature on the outside envelope — so that the voter could fix it and ensure that their vote would count.

A similar claim by Republicans was dismissed in a state court Friday. Democratic voters submitted almost three times as many ballots by mail as Republicans.

The lawsuit asks the court to prevent the state and six counties named in it from certifying the results of the election, and to require them to invalidate ballots cast by voters who were given an opportunity to fix mail-in ballots that were going to be disqualified for a technicality.
So, again, they are trying to eliminate votes by people making an honest effort to express their intent. These people are awful. The majority of the people who voted in Pennsylvania clearly wants Biden. And these people are tying to nix that through getting votes nixed for technicalities. Thwart the Will of the People.

It's absolutely disgusting. And you people who support the Republican Party right now need to do something about your moral compasses.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:06 pm
CAA Flagship wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:49 pm
The beauty of America - we can disagree and the Brown Shirts aren't going to be knocking on our doors. :thumb:
Yet. :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:39 pm BTW, it goes way beyond Pennsylvania. The Will of the People was expressed and it is clearly that The People want Joe Biden to be President. That will is reflected both in the popular vote and, thankfully, the geographically distributed vote made necessary by the absurd Electoral College system. Trump and his people spouted a lot of bullshit about Democrats trying to steal the election. But trying to steal the election is exactly what Trump and his people are trying to do now.

If you are a decent person you are not going to continue to support this guy and you are not going to continue to support the Republican Party that enables him.
I place very little emphasis on popular vote. How many conservative people in CA/OR/WA/NY do you think don’t vote because they know their vote doesn’t matter? And before you spout off, i realize you could use that argument for ANY state, theoretically, but most definitely single party voter apathy is way more likely in states where there is a clear majority opinion.

And honestly (and yes, KYJelly, I realize you don’t like this argument), if you take out just CA, Trump wins the popular vote. And if there’s one thing I’m certain of, it’s that I do NOT want CA determining the political landscape of this country.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

BTW, once again I expect that people will say the polls were way off and, once again, objective assessment will indicate that perception is exaggerated. If you look at the Real Clear Politics election even projections at https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... e_map.html you will see that they had 18 jurisdictions in the Biden column and 20 in the Trump column along with 14 in the "Toss Up" column.

All 18 they had in the Biden column were won by Biden. All 20 they had in the Trump column were won by Trump. Among the "Toss Up" states, Biden won 7, Trump won 4, and 3 are currently listed as too close to call (looks like Biden will win 2 and Trump 1).

The popular vote Real Clear Politics average of polling on election even had it at Biden by 7.2 percent and right now the margin is only 2.9. However, 11% of California's votes have not been counted yet and 26% of New York's votes have not been counted yet. So the final actual popular vote margin will get somewhat higher. Probably won't be 7.2 percent. But 7.2 percent probably won't be that far off when all the counting is done.

My impression is there was probably some bias in Biden's direction. Looking at a few things I think it likely Republican turnout was greater than anticipated. But it's not going to be that much. For the most part, if there was high confidence that one candidate or the other was going to win a State that candidate won the State.
Could I ever be a star?