Political discussions
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: 2020 General Election

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:11 am I don't frankly care much what the GOP and Trumpers do at this moment, short of armed insurrection. Trump can concede or not, doesn't matter to me. Gore waited until December 13th before he finally "conceded" and even then he was strongly opposed to the outcome but he was out of time and out of options. I remember Dems on this site poring over ideas that in 2016 they could get enough faithless electors to tip the balance to Hilllary. The Electoral College votes don't happen until December 14th this year. Once those votes are cast then it's all over no matter what anyone thinks. In the end, it matters little what happens between now and the Electoral College vote. Let the Trumpers and others argue over whatever they want to argue over. It won't matter depending on the votes that really count, the 538 that get cast in December.
The results aren’t certified by Congress until 1/6/21, 2 weeks before the 1/20 Inauguration.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

This morning the networks called Alaska called for Trump. The thing is, its not even close. Trump is up by about 18. Don’t know what took them so long..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
LeadBolt
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by LeadBolt »

BDKJMU wrote:This morning the networks called Alaska called for Trump. The thing is, its not even close. Trump is up by about 18. Don’t know what took them so long..
Of course you know, it’s not the story that they want to tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LeadBolt
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by LeadBolt »

It would seem that the 2016 Presidential election had way less interference than the 2020 election. So I’m not sure that Biden will be quite as legitimate as Trump was, when he takes office.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

LeadBolt wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:46 am It would seem that the 2016 Presidential election had way less interference than the 2020 election. So I’m not sure that Biden will be quite as legitimate as Trump was, when he takes office.

Who’s causing the interference?
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

kalm wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:05 am
LeadBolt wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:46 am It would seem that the 2016 Presidential election had way less interference than the 2020 election. So I’m not sure that Biden will be quite as legitimate as Trump was, when he takes office.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CAA Flagship wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:16 am
kalm wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:05 am

As Ursus likes to say...”you have to be good enough to overcome a bad call.”

:coffee:
Last edited by kalm on Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

houndawg wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:40 am
SDHornet wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:06 pm
So you're only concerned when the Russians are "allegedly" involved?
Its time to put up or shut up. :coffee:
Awesome! I anxiously await you putting up proof of Russian collusion and Putin's ownership of Trump.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

kalm wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:21 am As Ursus lines to say...”you have to be good enough to overcome a bad call.”

:lol: :lol: :thumb:
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :dunce:
Go Black Bears!
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

I continue to be amazed at the number of people on places like Facebook who apparently do not realize that Trump is an historically unpopular President who was the underdog going in. I'm talking about people who think the fact that Trump lost means that something untoward MUST have happened in order for their Dear Leader to lose. Also the continued lack of understanding of why we saw what we saw with Trump's position eroding as mail in votes were counted.

See the article at https://www.politico.com/news/2020/11/0 ... nia-433951

It was posted on election day, November 3. At that time about 1.6 million mail ballots had been received from Democrats, about 586,000 had been received from Republicans, and about 278,000 had been received from Independents.

That means hey had more than a million more mail in ballots from Democrats as they had from Republicans. Trump had a lead of about 600,000 votes as of the end of election day. ANY person who can do math would have bet, if they had to bet, that the Democrats having more than a 1,000,000 vote edge in mail in votes meant Trump's lead would be overcome and Biden would win.

That would be the case even if ALL of the Independents would have voted for Trump. And, in reality, Independents broke for Biden this year. In Pennsylvania the exit poll estimate is that Independents voted for Biden over Trump by 52% to 44%.

This whole thing is just really ridiculous. Biden did not win because of fraud. Biden won because more people want Biden to be President than want Trump to be President. More people in Pennsylvania. More people in Wisconsin. More people in Michigan. And, apparently, more people in Georgia.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

mainejeff wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:08 pm

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :dunce:
I hope the post to which you were responding wasn't serious. There was a lot of concern about foreign interference going into the 2016 election. I can recall being concerned when the results were first called that such foreign interference may have made the difference. But after I compared the results to the polls I felt that there was not evidence that votes had not been changed or anything like that.

To this day, though, it is very reasonable to say it is possible that foreign interference in terms of influence operations DID make a difference. The Russians put a lot of effort into suppressing Black turnout, for instance (https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/russian ... d=53185084).

The margins in some key states were very thin. It's not unreasonable at all to think it's possible that Russian influence operations did change the bottom line outcome from what it would have been without their involvement. No way to ever know. But in an election where the margins were that thin and the Russians were clearly involved in trying to influence voter behavior it's not at all unreasonable to think it's possible.
Could I ever be a star?

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

mainejeff wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:52 am
89Hen wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:44 am

4,914,457 in California alone.

:coffee: indeed
Biden winning by 5,099,264 votes......you will have to subtract another BLUE state......but only if you subtract the 2 biggest RED states.

Indeed.

:lol: For 49 states the popular vote is a statistical draw.

If you want to take out the top 2 states for both with the biggest deltas (Cali/Mass for Biden and KY/Tenn for Trump) and eliminate the vote for the four for both candidates...

Biden = 62,945,860
Trump = 62,588,744

0.238% win. What a mandate!
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:21 am As Ursus likes to say...”you have to be good enough to overcome a bad call.”

Says the recipient of the benefit of the worst call in I-AA history.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:40 am
:lol:
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

89Hen wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:22 pm
mainejeff wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:52 am

Biden winning by 5,099,264 votes......you will have to subtract another BLUE state......but only if you subtract the 2 biggest RED states.

Indeed.

:lol: For 49 states the popular vote is a statistical draw.

If you want to take out the top 2 states for both with the biggest deltas (Cali/Mass for Biden and KY/Tenn for Trump) and eliminate the vote for the four for both candidates...

Biden = 62,945,860
Trump = 62,588,744

0.238% win. What a mandate!
Besides, the Conks have already flipped 10 Donk seats in the House. There are seven that are still undecided, and the last time I looked, Conks are leading in ALL seven of those.

Mandate. :lol:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:24 pm
kalm wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:21 am As Ursus likes to say...”you have to be good enough to overcome a bad call.”

Says the recipient of the benefit of the worst call in I-AA history.
IIRC, he was replying to you. :lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:23 am
houndawg wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:40 am

Its time to put up or shut up. :coffee:
Awesome! I anxiously await you putting up proof of Russian collusion and Putin's ownership of Trump.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

GA announced recount by hand and audit. Should put the "software glitch" issue to bed in that state.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:10 pm
Biden did not win because of fraud. Biden won because more people want Biden to be President than want Trump to be President. More people in Pennsylvania. More people in Wisconsin. More people in Michigan. And, apparently, more people in Georgia.
While this may all turn out to be true, does it not concern you in the least that there might have been fraud? Even if it wasn’t what ultimately pushed him over the top, that maybe it might have been a trial run for how to control future elections?

Not even a little bit?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Ibanez wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:33 pm Both parties are undergoing purity movements. It’s the shame that one accepts violence as a means to shame others....? I dunno. I don’t quite understand it.

98% of the violence is coming from one party, bro. THAT is plainly obvious. And it ain’t the right.
Yeah - I didn’t say the Right was the violent side. My comment was in response to the Left attacking diners. We all know “progressives” like to torch and riot.

Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:35 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:10 pm
Biden did not win because of fraud. Biden won because more people want Biden to be President than want Trump to be President. More people in Pennsylvania. More people in Wisconsin. More people in Michigan. And, apparently, more people in Georgia.
While this may all turn out to be true, does it not concern you in the least that there might have been fraud? Even if it wasn’t what ultimately pushed him over the top, that maybe it might have been a trial run for how to control future elections?

Not even a little bit?
I think it's likely that there was a little bit of what may be characterized as "fraud" by virtue of some form of illegal voting, etc. I think there probably always is. But I also think that there was nothing unusual in that regard with this election and it can go both ways.

For example: I saw a story yesterday about a big deal that was made about a woman who brought in a mail ballot for her mother who had died. That was an illegal vote. But the daughter said the vote was for Trump. And the daughter wasn't intentionally trying to do anything wrong. She was just trying to have her recently deceased mother's will expressed.

This whole thing is ridiculous. The People have clearly spoken. Biden being President is the Will of the People. If Trump somehow succeeds in thwarting that it is going to be a historic crisis and an historic injustice. It would be a very serious problem for this country.

We already have a serious problem because Trump is even doing this bogus shit. The best case end of this situation is that the legitimate winner, Biden, takes office and almost half the country believes he's illegitimate because they buy Trump's bullshit. The worst case end is that we actually have the Will of the People overturned. Right now I don't think that's going to happen. I hope not. But the fact that we even have a Presidential candidate doing it while being supported by a major political party in his effort is a serious problem.
Could I ever be a star?

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Pennsylvania Lt. Gov. John Fetterman, a Democrat, in a CNN interview Wednesday said that the only known case of voter fraud "in Pennsylvania in this cycle, is a registered Republican in Luzerne County, [who] tried to vote for Trump with his dead mother's ballot."

https://apple.news/AJEtY7x90T3W_CwpDa22nQw

Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:24 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:35 pm

Not even a little bit?
I think it's likely that there was a little bit of what may be characterized as "fraud" by virtue of some form of illegal voting, etc. I think there probably always is. But I also think that there was nothing unusual in that regard with this election and it can go both ways.

For example: I saw a story yesterday about a big deal that was made about a woman who brought in a mail ballot for her mother who had died. That was an illegal vote. But the daughter said the vote was for Trump. And the daughter wasn't intentionally trying to do anything wrong. She was just trying to have her recently deceased mother's will expressed.

This whole thing is ridiculous. The People have clearly spoken. Biden being President is the Will of the People. If Trump somehow succeeds in thwarting that it is going to be a historic crisis and an historic injustice. It would be a very serious problem for this country.

We already have a serious problem because Trump is even doing this bogus shit. The best case end of this situation is that the legitimate winner, Biden, takes office and almost half the country believes he's illegitimate because they buy Trump's bullshit. The worst case end is that we actually have the Will of the People overturned. Right now I don't think that's going to happen. I hope not. But the fact that we even have a Presidential candidate doing it while being supported by a major political party in his effort is a serious problem.
See, you’ve already made up your mind that there is only a tiny fraction of fraud, and everything Trump is doing is “bogus shit”.

Howsabout we let the chips fall where they may and pass judgement in about 2-3 weeks? You know, kind of like covid? Just wait two weeks?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12