Political discussions
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:23 am
Pwns wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:21 am iT dIdN'T hAVe tO Be LIkE tHis!

iF wE hAD A ReaL lEaDeRsHip LiKE eUrOpE inStEaD oF TruMp!

Let’s revisit this in a couple of weeks.
But of course. Two more weeks. Two weeks to flatten the curve. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Our monthly sports collectibles show has been cancelled due to new Minnesota Covid restrictions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:12 pm Chicago mayor: Cancel Thanksgiving
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/12/chicago ... -rise.html
Prudent based on trends. WA might be back in phase 1 by next week.

It will hopefully start plateauing again by January.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:32 pm
SDHornet wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:52 am

The same reason why you can take your mask off to eat in a restaurant but have to wear one while waiting in line to be seated.
:? Not sure you read his question correctly.
I read it correctly, I was answering one absurd observation about China virus protocol exemption with another. :thumb:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:14 am
BDKJMU wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:12 pm Chicago mayor: Cancel Thanksgiving
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/12/chicago ... -rise.html

What makes January a magical date? Last time we had the good fortune to be heading into the spring and all the nice weather and getting to be outdoors. We're not even in winter yet. Last time most of the real restrictions lasted until June (couldn't get my hair cut until the end of June, I still have the photo). That was 4 months. I think we're shutting things down until at least March at this point.

County I'm in just outside of PA just closed the schools (going all virtual) for two weeks, and then they'll reassess. They actually used the term "flatten the curve" again. And I just saw that NYC is about to go all virtual in city schools. They may not call it a lockdown again this time, but it's happening again. I don't see things opening up again until the vaccine now.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:22 am

What makes January a magical date? Last time we had the good fortune to be heading into the spring and all the nice weather and getting to be outdoors. We're not even in winter yet. Last time most of the real restrictions lasted until June (couldn't get my hair cut until the end of June, I still have the photo). That was 4 months. I think we're shutting things down until at least March at this point.

County I'm in just outside of PA just closed the schools (going all virtual) for two weeks, and then they'll reassess. They actually used the term "flatten the curve" again. And I just saw that NYC is about to go all virtual in city schools. They may not call it a lockdown again this time, but it's happening again. I don't see things opening up again until the vaccine now.
:nod:

Do we really know why we're having the latest surge? Is it because people aren't following protocols (masks, distancing, etc.)? Is it due to a seasonal surge like the flu? Is it some combination?

Are lockdowns the best response? If masks and physical distancing are working than why do we need to lockdown?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Biden gets inaugurated. You know the donks have a magic wand that will make the virus go away? The last donk POTUS claimed it could slow the rise of the oceans, and heal the planet.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:39 am

Biden gets inaugurated. You know the donks have a magic wand that will make the virus go away? The last donk POTUS claimed it could slow the rise of the oceans, and heal the planet.
And the current conk POTUS claimed it could make Mexico pay for a wall.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Infections, hospitalizations, and deaths plateau. Different than lockdowns.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:32 am

Do we really know why we're having the latest surge? Is it because people aren't following protocols (masks, distancing, etc.)? Is it due to a seasonal surge like the flu? Is it some combination?

Are lockdowns the best response? If masks and physical distancing are working than why do we need to lockdown?
Yes.

The answer to one offer first questions answers the last.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

:coffee:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:49 am
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:39 am
Trumps magic wand only worked on the economy. :mrgreen:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:58 am

Yes.

English please ...
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SDHornet wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:32 pm
UNI88 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:49 am

Trumps magic wand only worked on the economy. :mrgreen:
That's because it's a very small wand ... :lol:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:48 pm
kalm wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:58 am

Yes.

English please ...
That was pretty bad.

:lol:

Lockdowns are necessary when social distancing and mask wearing aren’t being followed enough. We only have ourselves to blame.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:56 am

Infections, hospitalizations, and deaths plateau. Different than lockdowns.
That's not what the health departments are saying - plateau is technically different than flatten, which they used again. Plateau means we stop seeing a rise, but we're still stuck at a high level. Flatten means it basically goes away or at least goes way down. They're using the positivity rate as the metric (not even using hospitalizations or deaths, those are just assumed to follow) and until we get back to under 5% they'll keep things restricted, in this case especially schools. They're not looking at the same data say a Germany looks at, as Germany isn't closing schools, but then again, I'm not sure how much data we're even look at beyond the surface numbers. For all of our talk about following the science, we never seem to really want to look too hard at the science.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:57 pm

English please ...
That was pretty bad.

Lockdowns are necessary when social distancing and mask wearing aren’t being followed enough. We only have ourselves to blame.
Assuming there's even a level that qualifies as "enough". Like I said, we're not seeing schools as the areas of community spread yet those are the first areas we close down, and we say we're doing it to stop the community spread. That doesn't make any sense at all. Let's take people from a very controlled environment where we can enforce and ensure the proper protocol are being followed, and now let's let them loose to do whatever they want to do in an environment with little control. Again, it's nonsensical and irrational.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

English please ...
That was pretty bad.

:D Do you have any scientific proof that the surge isn't at least partially due to seasonality?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Over 2.75 million people have died this year in America, 2.5 million NOT from COVID. Imagine spending the last year of your life with little/no human contact, wasting your last year hiding from something that has < 0.5% chance of killing you, on the off chance you caught it.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Heck, even CNN is saying we shouldn't be closing the schools, and yet, here we are. I'm starting to think pubic health officials are where people go after the good jobs in the medical field are already taken.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/13/world/sc ... index.html
The European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control reported in August that children accounted for fewer than 5% of coronavirus cases in the European Union and UK. It said closures were unlikely to provide significant extra protection for children's health.

While they may present a small risk to grandparents, Staines said, "the major risk to grandparents is the older adults in the house."

Many European schools have introduced measures like ventilation, mask-wearing and holding classes outside or in small, distanced groups.

"Both Europe and the United States have made a mess of managing Covid," added Staines.

"Lockdowns are not for controlling infections in populations, lockdowns buy you time to bring in public health measures. They buy you time to do contact tracing," he said.
That last line is great. There is zero talk about bringing in health measures during this lockdown, on the contrary, they're being done specifically to do the former, that is, to control the infections in the population. As I said, we learned absolutely zero from the spring and continue to make the same mistakes now. This isn't even a party-related issue at this point as both Dems and GOP's seem to have zero clue about any of this.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Nevada gov tests positive (asymptomatic) for the China Virus. Becomes the 4th Gov this yr to test positive. Others were Missouri, Virginia and Oklahoma.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:22 pm

That was pretty bad.

:D Do you have any scientific proof that the surge isn't at least partially due to seasonality?
I don’t think anyone is really denying that. :?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Great, comprehensive summary. Buckle up!
Hospitals have put their pandemic plans into action, adding more beds and creating makeshift COVID-19 wards. But in the hardest-hit areas, there are simply not enough doctors, nurses, and other specialists to staff those beds. Some health-care workers told me that COVID-19 patients are the sickest people they’ve ever cared for: They require twice as much attention as a typical intensive-care-unit patient, for three times the normal length of stay. “It was doable over the summer, but now it’s just too much,” says Whitney Neville, a nurse based in Iowa. “Last Monday we had 25 patients waiting in the emergency department. They had been admitted but there was no one to take care of them.” I asked her how much slack the system has left. “There is none,” she said.

The entire state of Iowa is now out of staffed beds, Eli Perencevich, an infectious-disease doctor at the University of Iowa, told me. Worse is coming. Iowa is accumulating more than 3,600 confirmed cases every day; relative to its population, that’s more than twice the rate Arizona experienced during its summer peak, “when their system was near collapse,” Perencevich said. With only lax policies in place, those cases will continue to rise. Hospitalizations lag behind cases by about two weeks; by Thanksgiving, today’s soaring cases will be overwhelming hospitals that already cannot cope. “The wave hasn’t even crashed down on us yet,” Perencevich said. “It keeps rising and rising, and we’re all running on fear. The health-care system in Iowa is going to collapse, no question.”.........

As hard as the work fatigue is, the “societal fatigue” is harder, said Hatton, the Utah pulmonary specialist. He is tired of walking out of an ICU where COVID-19 has killed another patient, and walking into a grocery store where he hears people saying it doesn’t exist. Health-care workers and public-health officials have received threats and abusive messages accusing them of fearmongering. They’ve watched as friends have adopted Donald Trump’s lies about doctors juking the hospitalization numbers to get more money. They’ve pleaded with family members to wear masks and physically distance, lest they end up competing for ICU beds that no longer exist. “Nurses have been the most trusted profession for 18 years in a row, which is now bullshit because no one is listening to us,” Neville said.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... rs/617091/