BREAKING NEWS: SUU to Bolt Big Sky for the WAC

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

BREAKING NEWS: SUU to Bolt Big Sky for the WAC

Post by SuperHornet »

Apparently, the WAC is being reconstituted as a so-called FCS conference of FCSINOs including Tarleton State and Dixie State, yet it still includes FBS independent New Mexico State. This speculated SUU move is still unofficial, but the WAC does indicate that it HAS had a recent vote on membership. SUU HAS been discussed in that regard.

What does this mean for the Big Sky? From what I can see, if the WAC can get enough football-playing members to form a conference, the Sky would be off the hook on scheduling OOC games, but it might be difficult getting the WAC FCS certified with the continued presence of NMSU in FBS (unless they can be persuaded to "pull an Idalol" and drop down).

Wow....

https://missoulian.com/sports/college/b ... ceeab.html

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: BREAKING NEWS: SUU to Bolt Big Sky for the WAC

Post by 89Hen »

Isn't breaking news supposed to be things that have actually happened Casey?

IF SUU did go to the WAC, they would have three teams that play FCS. Only half of what they'd need to have a conference. I can't imagine how they would get to 6+.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:12 am Isn't breaking news supposed to be things that have actually happened Casey?

IF SUU did go to the WAC, they would have three teams that play FCS. Only half of what they'd need to have a conference. I can't imagine how they would get to 6+.
They’ll need the Cali BSC schools to jump ship and maybe NAU too.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

They are denying this
:thumb:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

I'll believe it when I see it. But if they do leave, that's perfectly fine.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

I don't get why any school would want to leave another league for the WAC. It's been DI's ghetto conference ever since the Great West folded.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:17 pm I don't get why any school would want to leave another league for the WAC. It's been DI's ghetto conference ever since the Great West folded.
You leave the MEAC out of this.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

SuperHornet wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:00 pm Apparently, the WAC is being reconstituted as a so-called FCS conference of FCSINOs including Tarleton State and Dixie State, yet it still includes FBS independent New Mexico State. This speculated SUU move is still unofficial, but the WAC does indicate that it HAS had a recent vote on membership. SUU HAS been discussed in that regard.

What does this mean for the Big Sky? From what I can see, if the WAC can get enough football-playing members to form a conference, the Sky would be off the hook on scheduling OOC games, but it might be difficult getting the WAC FCS certified with the continued presence of NMSU in FBS (unless they can be persuaded to "pull an Idalol" and drop down).

Wow....

https://missoulian.com/sports/college/b ... ceeab.html
Dixie State. :ohno:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:34 am Dixie State. :ohno:
Dixie Normous
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:04 pm
Ibanez wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:34 am Dixie State. :ohno:
Dixie Normous
Dixie Wrecked
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:51 am
89Hen wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:04 pm

Dixie Normous
Dixie Wrecked
Dixie relevant
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

There's a 72-yr old furniture store in Charleston called Dixie Furniture Co. They had one of the most "iconic" commercials in the area with the tag line- "Dixie’ll Do It, Cause Dixie Don’t Care" I'll see if I can find the video.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Official WAC invite on the table for SUU. These typically aren't made public if they aren't going to be accepted.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

dbackjon wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:51 am They are denying this
Which means it is DEFINITELY true. :lol: :lol:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:57 pm Official WAC invite on the table for SUU. These typically aren't made public if they aren't going to be accepted.
Except when the Big Sky invited South Dakota… :coffee: :?
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

Rumor on the street is the WAC is also trying to court Weber State.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50063697/so ... ll-revival

Fat chance if you ask me
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:26 am
SDHornet wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:57 pm Official WAC invite on the table for SUU. These typically aren't made public if they aren't going to be accepted.
Except when the Big Sky invited South Dakota… :coffee: :?
They got a "better" deal at the 11th hour if I recall. Took a few years but it all worked out I guess...
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Wildcat Ryan wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:08 pm Rumor on the street is the WAC is also trying to court Weber State.

Fat chance if you ask me
Yeah this article lists pretty much every D1 university in close proximity of the I-15 as a potential target...including Boise State, UNLV and Idaho State (but leaves out San Diego State :? ). I'm going to file this one as "debunked".
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

SDHornet wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:23 pm
Wildcat Ryan wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:08 pm Rumor on the street is the WAC is also trying to court Weber State.

Fat chance if you ask me
Yeah this article lists pretty much every D1 university in close proximity of the I-15 as a potential target...including Boise State, UNLV and Idaho State (but leaves out San Diego State :? ). I'm going to file this one as "debunked".

The article states that current and incoming WAC members have reached out to Weber, but Weber said they heard nothing. No way does Weber leave their traditional rivals for the WAC. It would be a huge mistake.

Too much History in the Big Sky, not to mention the Big Sky overall as a football conference is far superior to what the WAC will be.

Besides they could always schedule games against SUU, UVU and Dixie as OOC.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

Wildcat Ryan wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:58 am

The article states that current and incoming WAC members have reached out to Weber, but Weber said they heard nothing. No way does Weber leave their traditional rivals for the WAC. It would be a huge mistake.

Too much History in the Big Sky, not to mention the Big Sky overall as a football conference is far superior to what the WAC will be.

If Weber doesn't consider the WAC, it could be a sign that they consider themselves closer to Utah State, BYU and Utah than they do to SUU, Dixie and UVU (and that would be about right if you ask me). :twocents:
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

JALMOND wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:47 am

If Weber doesn't consider the WAC, it could be a sign that they consider themselves closer to Utah State, BYU and Utah than they do to SUU, Dixie and UVU (and that would be about right if you ask me). :twocents:

Weber does have more history with those three than the latter, the SUU rivalry is mostly a football one, and there is a budding hoops rivalry with the Wolverines, but neither of those are worth leaving behind our real rivalries in the Big Sky.

This Weber fans hopes they stay put!
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Wildcat Ryan wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:04 pm
JALMOND wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:47 am

Weber does have more history with those three than the latter, the SUU rivalry is mostly a football one, and there is a budding hoops rivalry with the Wolverines, but neither of those are worth leaving behind our real rivalries in the Big Sky.

This Weber fans hopes they stay put!
Weber leaving for the WAC doesn't really make sense. It's not like it's a move up, and their #1 football rivals are Idaho State & Montana. It makes more sense for Suutah since Dixie State is right next door, but even that move doesn't sound like a great idea (NAU is also reasonably close to Cedar City).

It's probably good for the WAC that they're showing ambition and not just accepting a slow slide into the abyss, but this whole thing still sounds pretty rickety.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:46 pm It's probably good for the WAC that they're showing ambition and not just accepting a slow slide into the abyss, but this whole thing still sounds pretty rickety.
Any conference with Chicago State is going to be pretty shaky anyway. :lol:

It sounds like it was mainly basketball driven at first and then someone saw that the new schools all played football so how about a football conference?
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

I agree. Id be surprised if Weber considers the WAC. NAU is getting a lot of run on the realignment boards because of geography, but I have a hard time seeing them consider the WAC as well. It is 2020 for a few more days so who knows.
mtjack
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: NAU Lumberjacks!

Post by mtjack »

SDHornet wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:45 pm
I agree. Id be surprised if Weber considers the WAC. NAU is getting a lot of run on the realignment boards because of geography, but I have a hard time seeing them consider the WAC as well. It is 2020 for a few more days so who knows.
Hey, SDHornet. Which boards are conversing about the realignment. Being an NAU fan, I'm interested in hearing the scuttlebutt.