Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Re: Thank you coal!

Post by HI54UNI »

Ibanez wrote:
HI54UNI wrote:
If someone truly believes in climate change they have to support nuclear. There's no way around it. At 7:00 this morning wind was producing less than 25% of it's nameplate and there was no solar. So either you build 4 times more wind and hope you build it in the right place so there's enough wind energy when you need it or you will be short. Plus you would have the expense of all the transmission lines to the middle of nowhere to get to where the wind turbines will be built. And barring some technological breakthrough storage is not going to meet our needs anytime in the near future. So that only leaves nuclear. And the legal, regulatory, and market hurdles make it uneconomic for any company to build nuclear.

So like most things that ultimately involve our federal government - everybody complains but nothing gets done.
Have you heard about the fiasco with building a nuclear power station in SC? It's not due to it being nuclear, it was mis-management, above all else.

https://www.chooseenergy.com/news/artic ... -timeline/

SCE&G is notoriously expensive..and the costs are only going up.
I've read about it but didn't know about all various things going on in the legislature. When they made the initial decision to do the project is was probably the right thing to do. About 2010 the energy market changed dramatically and usage flatlined or decreased. When they found out about the delay in 2014 and extra $1.2 billion in cost they should have took their lumps then and ended it.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

Grizalltheway wrote:
HI54UNI wrote:
If someone truly believes in climate change they have to support nuclear. There's no way around it. At 7:00 this morning wind was producing less than 25% of it's nameplate and there was no solar. So either you build 4 times more wind and hope you build it in the right place so there's enough wind energy when you need it or you will be short. Plus you would have the expense of all the transmission lines to the middle of nowhere to get to where the wind turbines will be built. And barring some technological breakthrough storage is not going to meet our needs anytime in the near future. So that only leaves nuclear. And the legal, regulatory, and market hurdles make it uneconomic for any company to build nuclear.

So like most things that ultimately involve our federal government - everybody complains but nothing gets done.
Honest question-is there any way to substantially reduce the regulatory burden of getting a new plant up and running without compromising safety?
My nuclear experience is limited but some of the security rules are overboard, storing waste material at each individual site rather than getting a Yucca Mountain/one site for storage (another security issue), overzealous rules on training/safety (I can give a couple examples but I don't want a JSO long post. Let me know if you want to hear them :) ) All of these are a fine line because you want to make sure the public is safe. I also think they need to look at the small modular reactors as they are more manageable, have a standardized design, and should have less safety issues.

A bigger issue is the way plants operate and the way our energy markets are designed. Long story short the tax credit on wind means that power prices can be a negative 2.2 cents and wind turbine owners still make money. That's why Warren Buffet is building thousands of them. A nuke plant can't turn off or back down so when the power market goes below cost they lose money. As more wind gets built the problem gets worse as there are more hours the prices are below cost. That's why some states, like Illinois, are adding subsidies to keep nuke plants running and in other states nuke plants are closing. Without a change to the markets no amount of reduced risk is going to make a nuclear plant viable.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

HI54UNI wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote: Honest question-is there any way to substantially reduce the regulatory burden of getting a new plant up and running without compromising safety?
My nuclear experience is limited but some of the security rules are overboard, storing waste material at each individual site rather than getting a Yucca Mountain/one site for storage (another security issue), overzealous rules on training/safety (I can give a couple examples but I don't want a JSO long post. Let me know if you want to hear them :) ) All of these are a fine line because you want to make sure the public is safe. I also think they need to look at the small modular reactors as they are more manageable, have a standardized design, and should have less safety issues.

A bigger issue is the way plants operate and the way our energy markets are designed. Long story short the tax credit on wind means that power prices can be a negative 2.2 cents and wind turbine owners still make money. That's why Warren Buffet is building thousands of them. A nuke plant can't turn off or back down so when the power market goes below cost they lose money. As more wind gets built the problem gets worse as there are more hours the prices are below cost. That's why some states, like Illinois, are adding subsidies to keep nuke plants running and in other states nuke plants are closing. Without a change to the markets no amount of reduced risk is going to make a nuclear plant viable.
So what you are saying is to just nationalize the energy market...like say Venezuela, and everything will be rain bows and unicorns. :D
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

Why fuel diversity in our electricity supply is important.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

HI54UNI wrote:Why fuel diversity in our electricity supply is important.
No. That just means you need more windmills and more batteries to span the less windy periods. :coffee:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

mainejeff2 wrote:If only the wind from coal producing states would stop blowing toward New England.

:coffee:
That's Canada.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

California is having rolling black outs due to extreme heat and lack of sufficient generation capacity to meet demand. In our part of the Midwest grid coal is providing 40% of the energy needed, natural gas 44%, hydro 5%, wind 5%, nuclear 5%, and other 1%. So fossil fuels are keeping 84% of the lights and A/C on.

Wind is only producing about 10% of it's available generation capacity due to lack of wind.

For our local generation that we own - coal and natural gas both running at 100% output. Wind output is zero.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

HI54UNI wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:03 pm California is having rolling black outs due to extreme heat and lack of sufficient generation capacity to meet demand. In our part of the Midwest grid coal is providing 40% of the energy needed, natural gas 44%, hydro 5%, wind 5%, nuclear 5%, and other 1%. So fossil fuels are keeping 84% of the lights and A/C on.

Wind is only producing about 10% of it's available generation capacity due to lack of wind.

For our local generation that we own - coal and natural gas both running at 100% output. Wind output is zero.
Fucking Iowa fascists!
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

HI54UNI wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:03 pm California is having rolling black outs due to extreme heat and lack of sufficient generation capacity to meet demand. In our part of the Midwest grid coal is providing 40% of the energy needed, natural gas 44%, hydro 5%, wind 5%, nuclear 5%, and other 1%. So fossil fuels are keeping 84% of the lights and A/C on.

CA has shut down nat gas and nuclear plants over the last decade +, with a 100% renewalble goal by 2045. Solar and wind can’t deal with the demamd in a heat wave, esp when the sun isn’t shining & the wind isn’t blowing, despite usage being 10% less than it otherwise would be due to work from home. So now they have rolling blackouts. The politician’s response: We need people to turn their thermostats up 4 degrees. Morons. :lol:

This is what Biden/Harris want to bring to all of America with their new Green Deal.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Four energy solutions that are smarter than the disastrous Green New Deal
“You still need other low-carbon sources to complete the clean energy lineup,” says that study’s co-author, Jesse Jenkins, an energy systems engineer and assistant professor at Princeton University.
Too many climate activists advocate for limiting economic growth and reducing our consumption. But with the right mix of energy technologies we can cut our emissions while also developing vital new industries.

That’s why continued research into nuclear, CCS, hydrogen — and, yes, wind and solar, too — is so vital. If fusion power succeeds as well, that will simply supercharge our progress.

We don’t need to choose between environmental responsibility and economic growth. Why not have both?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:51 am Four energy solutions that are smarter than the disastrous Green New Deal
“You still need other low-carbon sources to complete the clean energy lineup,” says that study’s co-author, Jesse Jenkins, an energy systems engineer and assistant professor at Princeton University.
Too many climate activists advocate for limiting economic growth and reducing our consumption. But with the right mix of energy technologies we can cut our emissions while also developing vital new industries.

That’s why continued research into nuclear, CCS, hydrogen — and, yes, wind and solar, too — is so vital. If fusion power succeeds as well, that will simply supercharge our progress.

We don’t need to choose between environmental responsibility and economic growth. Why not have both?
:nod: :nod: :nod:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:51 am Four energy solutions that are smarter than the disastrous Green New Deal

All good ideas but the NextGen nuclear is the only one that is feasible/practical in the near future. No distribution system for hydrogen. And if we are going to electrify vehicles there is no reason to build a distribution system for hydrogen. Carbon capture is possible but it is extremely energy intensive. The capture can take up to 1/3 of the output of a generation plant. And fusion has been "right around the corner" since I was a kid.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Yup, nuclear is where it's at. We're still paying the environmental price for environmentalists being so short-sighted in the '70's and '80's and demonizing nuclear. Who would've thought environmentalists would be responsible for killing the environment?
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

Power and natural gas markets going absolutely crazy yesterday, today, and expected through Tuesday due to the extreme cold in flyover country. We had to run our fleet of diesel generators yesterday and again today through Tuesday.

Our region of the power market has 20,000 MW of coal capacity. 18,000 MW were online and working yesterday. It also has 27,000 MW of wind capacity but only 2,700 MW were operating due to lack of wind. So at that ratio we would have needed another 180,000 MW of wind to replace the coal that was running. Shutting down fossil fuel generation is going to be a great idea!

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

HI54UNI wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:14 am Power and natural gas markets going absolutely crazy yesterday, today, and expected through Tuesday due to the extreme cold in flyover country. We had to run our fleet of diesel generators yesterday and again today through Tuesday.

Our region of the power market has 20,000 MW of coal capacity. 18,000 MW were online and working yesterday. It also has 27,000 MW of wind capacity but only 2,700 MW were operating due to lack of wind. So at that ratio we would have needed another 180,000 MW of wind to replace the coal that was running. Shutting down fossil fuel generation is going to be a great idea!
There are predictions of possible intermittent power outages in Texas because of our large wind power farms, due to the polar vortex...just like in the upper mid-west...

https://energynews.us/2019/02/27/midwes ... st-debate/
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

Market numbers are out for tomorrow. Average wholesale price of $3.00 per kWh for every hour of the day tomorrow. Not 3 cents, 3 dollars. Your typical midwest utility probably charges around 10-15 cents per kWh . :o :o

A typical day for us would cost us about $500-800 dollars to buy 1 megawatt for an entire day. Tomorrow that one megawatt will cost $71,000. Thank god we still have coal generation to meet our needs so we are not buying 100% from the market. I hope nothing breaks down tomorrow.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

HI54UNI wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:42 pm Market numbers are out for tomorrow. Average wholesale price of $3.00 per kWh for every hour of the day tomorrow. Not 3 cents, 3 dollars. Your typical midwest utility probably charges around 10-15 cents per kWh . :o :o

A typical day for us would cost us about $500-800 dollars to buy 1 megawatt for an entire day. Tomorrow that one megawatt will cost $71,000. Thank god we still have coal generation to meet our needs so we are not buying 100% from the market. I hope nothing breaks down tomorrow.
And the Green New Deal ain't even in play yet. :lol:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

SDHornet wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:45 pm
HI54UNI wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:42 pm Market numbers are out for tomorrow. Average wholesale price of $3.00 per kWh for every hour of the day tomorrow. Not 3 cents, 3 dollars. Your typical midwest utility probably charges around 10-15 cents per kWh . :o :o

Lol. Those ARE GND type numbers, aren’t they?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:03 pm
SDHornet wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:45 pm

I doubt it. Should be a lot worse as coal will be phased out.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

SDHornet wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:06 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:03 pm

Think it is going to be bad when it gets cold? Wait till ones electric motors in appliances and other items start failing (or much shorter life span) due to not having a stable base load frequency any more.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Winterborn wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:18 pm
SDHornet wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:06 pm

Think it is going to be bad when it gets cold? Wait till ones electric motors in appliances and other items start failing (or much shorter life span) due to not having a stable base load frequency any more.
Oh I can't wait for shit to hit the fan under these Leftist ideas. It's happening here in CA already with brownouts/blackouts during peak demand times in the summer. There a reason people with the means are leaving this shithole at a record pace.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

SDHornet wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:20 pm
Winterborn wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:18 pm

Oh I can't wait for shit to hit the fan under these Leftist ideas. It's happening here in CA already with brownouts/blackouts during peak demand times in the summer. There a reason people with the means are leaving this shithole at a record pace.
I hope it does but my guess is they will not learn anything from it. Then they will try to change their new home to be more like the place they just left and not realize what lead to why they had to abandon it in the first place. :ohno:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

From what I can tell, California's problem is not energy policy per se. It's just a flipping high cost of living State regardless. You could reduce its energy costs to low by national standards and it would still be a high cost of living state. Particularly housing costs. Here's one article on how that impacts California's net migration:

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... jor-factor
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:15 pm From what I can tell, California's problem is not energy policy per se. It's just a flipping high cost of living State regardless. You could reduce its energy costs to low by national standards and it would still be a high cost of living state. Particularly housing costs. Here's one article on how that impacts California's net migration:

It’s literally one of if not the only state in the country that has rolling brownouts on a regular basis. I’d say its energy policy IS a major problem.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:27 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:15 pm From what I can tell, California's problem is not energy policy per se. It's just a flipping high cost of living State regardless. You could reduce its energy costs to low by national standards and it would still be a high cost of living state. Particularly housing costs. Here's one article on how that impacts California's net migration:

It’s literally one of if not the only state in the country that has rolling brownouts on a regular basis. I’d say its energy policy IS a major problem.
The brownouts were Trump's fault. They'll stop now that Biden is POTUS.

And I have some wonderful oceanfront property just north of Platte, Nebraska to sell.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm