Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: China

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:43 pm
UNI88 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:33 pm

I don't think 4 more years of Trump would have been the worst thing in the world. The constant attacks from the pseudo-progressive left would have been a distracting pain the azz but a divided Congress would have kept him from doing any real damage. I'm grateful for Manchin and Sinema for giving us some semblance of that with the present administration.
Same. :nod:

Though sometimes I wonder if we wouldn't be better off letting the pendulum swing just so people get a taste of what they are wishing for. But then again, it is probably best if we don't.
Would he have made any significant changes or are the challenges we seemingly face just not that big of a deal?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:59 pm
Winterborn wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:43 pm

Same. :nod:

Though sometimes I wonder if we wouldn't be better off letting the pendulum swing just so people get a taste of what they are wishing for. But then again, it is probably best if we don't.
Would he have made any significant changes or are the challenges we seemingly face just not that big of a deal?
What “challenges” are those? Most of the challenges we currently face are self inflicted wounds from Biden administration policies.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:43 am
kalm wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:59 pm

What “challenges” are those? Most of the challenges we currently face are self inflicted wounds from Biden administration policies.
Everything was fine. A year ago.....
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

kalm wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:22 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:43 am

No. But everything he was saying is now all of a sudden true.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

andy7171 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:30 am
kalm wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:22 am

No. But everything he was saying is now all of a sudden true.
Who was saying?
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

He, who shall be nameless and never spoken of again.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote:
Winterborn wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:43 pm Same. :nod:

What challenges?

What I was discussing with '88 were foreign policy decisions and a good part of which are from the 70/80's policies. We are just reaping the side effects of those choices now.

As for here at home, extremes on both sides are bad but the problem is that people advocating for them don't realize what the consequences will be from trying to implement their "utopia".
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:47 pm
kalm wrote:
What challenges?

What I was discussing with '88 were foreign policy decisions and a good part of which are from the 70/80's policies. We are just reaping the side effects of those choices now.

As for here at home, extremes on both sides are bad but the problem is that people advocating for them don't realize what the consequences will be from trying to implement their "utopia".
No disagreement on any of this. Globalization (once championed by most of the right and centrist Dems alike is biting us in the ass.

As for extreme remedies, our system has a tendency to soften those. It’s one of the few good parts and perhaps THE important part of duality.

Of course much of the argument is based on where the center is. It’s a moving baseline.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:14 pm

What challenges?

No disagreement on any of this. Globalization (once championed by most of the right and centrist Dems alike is biting us in the ass.

As for extreme remedies, our system has a tendency to soften those. It’s one of the few good parts and perhaps THE important part of duality.

Of course much of the argument is based on where the center is. It’s a moving baseline.
Globalization is never going to go away and will be with us forever. The question is what it looks like and what form it takes. The question isn't whether we have globalization or not, it's a question of what it looks like. We can't raise the drawbridges and ignore the rest of the world. We're not New Zealand.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

What challenges?

There have been a lot of benefits to globalization - a world of nations that are dependent upon each other is a world that has better prospects for peace. IMO, the challenges we face due to globalization are less than the challenges we would be facing without it.

Our system has a tendency to soften the extremes because of the bipartisanship, a romantic concept that is under attack by extremists in both parties. The leading advocates of bipartisanship are politicians such as Manchin, Sinema, Kinzinger, etc. Getting rid of the filibuster will reduce our ability to "soften the extremes."
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:28 pm

There have been a lot of benefits to globalization - a world of nations that are dependent upon each other is a world that has better prospects for peace. IMO, the challenges we face due to globalization are less than the challenges we would be facing without it.

Our system has a tendency to soften the extremes because of the bipartisanship, a romantic concept that is under attack by extremists in both parties. The leading advocates of bipartisanship are politicians such as Manchin, Sinema, Kinzinger, etc. Getting rid of the filibuster will reduce our ability to "soften the extremes."
:nod:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

I agree with Ganny here in general. It’s the right globalization that mutually benefits all partners. But there’s something to be said for strategic resources and manufacturing and our shortcomings have been highlighted by Covid. That may continue for years as developing nations continue to struggle more with the virus.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:47 pm

I agree with Ganny here in general. It’s the right globalization that mutually benefits all partners. But there’s something to be said for strategic resources and manufacturing and our shortcomings have been highlighted by Covid. That may continue for years as developing nations continue to struggle more with the virus.
Eh, you could also argue that our strengths in resources and manufacturing have been shown in Covid as well. Aren't we awash in vaccines now here in the US, almost to an embarrassing level? We haven't wanted for vaccines since about the middle of April - since then, anyone eligible who wanted one would be able to get one, and not even with a whole lot of effort. That's pretty impressive when you think about it. We had a virus that within 9 months we had more than one vaccine developed that pretty much eradicates the risk of the virus, and 4 months after that we had ramped up manufacturing so quickly that we don't know what to do with all the extra doses. No other country in the world could do, or did, what we did on the scale that we did - China has vaccines that don't work, Europe can't make enough vaccines quick enough, and even developed places like Japan or Canada or other places struggle to get enough vaccines since they can't make them.

Our shortcomings, when it came down to it, where political and social - we have two political parties dominated on both sides by political zealots whose common singular goal is to beat the other party - what they do with winning governmental power is secondary, the primary goal is to win. And we have a populace and sadly a compliant media that have abandoned their principles and joined in the political fray.

But don't let that messy response to the virus and the political bickering that associated it get in the way of the impressive end result - we conquered an engineered virus (and let's be honest, everyone should be aware that the virus came from that lab - China is complicit because they let a shoddy lab exist, and the US is complicit because we were funneling money to that lab because ethically that kind of work wouldn't fly in the US), and we beat that virus in the span of about a year. Again, no other country on the planet could do what we just did. That's pretty cool when you think about it.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:01 pm
Eh, you could also argue that our strengths in resources and manufacturing have been shown in Covid as well. Aren't we awash in vaccines now here in the US, almost to an embarrassing level? We haven't wanted for vaccines since about the middle of April - since then, anyone eligible who wanted one would be able to get one, and not even with a whole lot of effort. That's pretty impressive when you think about it. We had a virus that within 9 months we had more than one vaccine developed that pretty much eradicates the risk of the virus, and 4 months after that we had ramped up manufacturing so quickly that we don't know what to do with all the extra doses. No other country in the world could do, or did, what we did on the scale that we did - China has vaccines that don't work, Europe can't make enough vaccines quick enough, and even developed places like Japan or Canada or other places struggle to get enough vaccines since they can't make them.

Our shortcomings, when it came down to it, where political and social - we have two political parties dominated on both sides by political zealots whose common singular goal is to beat the other party - what they do with winning governmental power is secondary, the primary goal is to win. And we have a populace and sadly a compliant media that have abandoned their principles and joined in the political fray.

But don't let that messy response to the virus and the political bickering that associated it get in the way of the impressive end result - we conquered an engineered virus (and let's be honest, everyone should be aware that the virus came from that lab - China is complicit because they let a shoddy lab exist, and the US is complicit because we were funneling money to that lab because ethically that kind of work wouldn't fly in the US), and we beat that virus in the span of about a year. Again, no other country on the planet could do what we just did. That's pretty cool when you think about it.
Kalm in the white trunks ...

CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:28 pm There have been a lot of benefits to globalization - a world of nations that are dependent upon each other is a world that has better prospects for peace. IMO, the challenges we face due to globalization are less than the challenges we would be facing without it.

You almost made me wet with “strategic resources” but no cigar for you

The term is “strategic industries”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Can I ask a question that’s been bothering me for some time?

Why, on God’s green earth, would we spend time and money on Gain of Function research? Why in the WORLD would we want to try and make viruses MORE powerful? There’s only one reason I can think of, and to think that we were in bed with the Chinese on this and then they dumped it on us?

Seriously, how fucking stupid are we?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:12 pm

In your exuberance to see me proven wrong I suppose you didn’t stop to think I might agree with Ganny’s post. It’s indeed one instance where our capabilities helped. Not just in manufacturing but logistics, research, funding of research etc.

Irregardless (that one is for CID :) ) supply chain issues are real and will be with us for years to come. Some of it is relatively inconsequential like my son battling Bitcoin mining for a microchip to run his now massively over-priced video card but it has also crept into cell phones and other key industries...and try buying a new truck right now.

We’ll get through it but not without some impacts. Btw, the off-shoring of virus research, while admittedly created by multiple factors, also helps prove my point that we’re better off with domestic control of certain things.

‘Fuck the Chicomms...!.....except when it comes to cheap labor and less regulations’ of course.

Why do you hate Made in America?

Fucking commies. :ohno:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:05 pm
kalm wrote:

Ugh! I denounce and reject myself over that one.

I was thinking about a customer who used to sell lumber to China and wondering at the logic and sustainability of shipping a tree from the Panhandle National Forest across an ocean to manufacture a nightstand and then shipping it back across the same ocean to sell it for those super sweet low prices found at Walmart.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:14 pm Can I ask a question that’s been bothering me for some time?

Why, on God’s green earth, would we spend time and money on Gain of Function research? Why in the WORLD would we want to try and make viruses MORE powerful? There’s only one reason I can think of, and to think that we were in bed with the Chinese on this and then they dumped it on us?

My guess is that SARS 1 freaked the researchers the fuck out. Different schools of thought developed for fighting the next possibly more catastrophic bug. The Fauci group believed the best tactic was to get to know the enemy by playing with it in a lab. China may have been prepared to do this on their own but we funded it, fucked around, and found out.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:14 am
UNI88 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:12 pm

In your exuberance to see me proven wrong I suppose you didn’t stop to think I might agree with Ganny’s post. It’s indeed one instance where our capabilities helped. Not just in manufacturing but logistics, research, funding of research etc.

Irregardless (that one is for CID :) ) supply chain issues are real and will be with us for years to come. Some of it is relatively inconsequential like my son battling Bitcoin mining for a microchip to run his now massively over-priced video card but it has also crept into cell phones and other key industries...and try buying a new truck right now.

We’ll get through it but not without some impacts. Btw, the off-shoring of virus research, while admittedly created by multiple factors, also helps prove my point that we’re better off with domestic control of certain things.

‘Fuck the Chicomms...!.....except when it comes to cheap labor and less regulations’ of course.

Can you concede a boxing match before the 10 count is finished?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:30 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:14 pm Can I ask a question that’s been bothering me for some time?

My guess is that SARS 1 freaked the researchers the fuck out. Different schools of thought developed for fighting the next possibly more catastrophic bug. The Fauci group believed the best tactic was to get to know the enemy by playing with it in a lab. China may have been prepared to do this on their own but we funded it, fucked around, and found out.
There are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of sci-fi books and movies with this kind of premise as the plot line - scientists for whatever reasons (sometimes good, they want to eradicate disease, sometimes bad, they want to create a weapon, and many times in between) tinker with a natural virus, end up making it significantly worse (more contagious, more deadly, kinda like making the flu into COVID or something like that), and then lose control of it and it ends up in the population. Heck, isn't that how "The Stand" started? I think it's a testament to our political quagmire and to the lack of integrity and professionalism in our media today that a guy like Fauci hasn't had to be far more forthcoming on the details of his involvement, and that there hasn't been more looking into why there was so much US-based funding of the Wuhan Lab.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:50 am
kalm wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:14 am

Can you concede a boxing match before the 10 count is finished?
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:23 am
CID1990 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:05 pm

Ugh! I denounce and reject myself over that one.

I was thinking about a customer who used to sell lumber to China and wondering at the logic and sustainability of shipping a tree from the Panhandle National Forest across an ocean to manufacture a nightstand and then shipping it back across the same ocean to sell it for those super sweet low prices found at Walmart.
And that's just a piece of wood. The sad/scary part is we do the same to process meat. MEAT. :?
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:53 am
kalm wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:30 am

There are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of sci-fi books and movies with this kind of premise as the plot line - scientists for whatever reasons (sometimes good, they want to eradicate disease, sometimes bad, they want to create a weapon, and many times in between) tinker with a natural virus, end up making it significantly worse (more contagious, more deadly, kinda like making the flu into COVID or something like that), and then lose control of it and it ends up in the population. Heck, isn't that how "The Stand" started? I think it's a testament to our political quagmire and to the lack of integrity and professionalism in our media today that a guy like Fauci hasn't had to be far more forthcoming on the details of his involvement, and that there hasn't been more looking into why there was so much US-based funding of the Wuhan Lab.
I'm just waiting for a zombie virus (see 28 Days Later) to break loose. Dear God, please happen...