Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by BDKJMU »

dbackjon wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:44 am
CID1990 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:04 pm
Nothing about this ship’s disposition was unusual for a vessel welded to the pier for maintenance, except for the fire watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ravaged by fire, USS Bonhomme Richard bound for scrapyard, Navy says

Source: San Diego Union-Tribune

Investigations continue into the cause of the fire, which burned for almost five days and smothered south San Diego County in noxious smoke

A fire that raged for almost five days in July has doomed the San Diego-based amphibious assault ship USS Bonhomme Richard to the scrapyards, Navy officials announced Monday.

The ship will be decommissioned within a year and will be scrapped, a Navy official told reporters during a conference call Monday. The cause of the fire is still under investigation.

The cost of repairing the ship was estimated to be between $2.5 billion and $3.2 billion, said Rear Adm. Eric Ver Hage Monday. The cost and time involved were deemed to be too much by Navy leadership.

“After thorough consideration, the secretary of the Navy and the Chief of Naval Operations have decided to decommission the USS Bonhomme Richard,” said Ver Hage, the commander of Navy Regional Maintenance Center.

Read more: https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/ne ... -navy-says
Looks like some heads are going to roll here, including 4 admirals and 4 Captains (O-6)..
A Navy report has concluded there were sweeping failures by commanders, crew members and others that fueled the July 2020 arson fire that destroyed the USS Bonhomme Richard, calling the massive five-day blaze in San Diego preventable and unacceptable.

While one sailor has been charged with setting the fire, the more than 400-page report, obtained by The Associated Press, lists three dozen officers and sailors whose failings either directly led to the ship's loss or contributed to it. The findings detailed widespread lapses in training, coordination, communication, fire preparedness, equipment maintenance and overall command and control….
…The report spreads blame across a wide range of ranks and responsibilities, from the now retired three-star admiral who headed Naval Surface Force Pacific Fleet — Vice Adm. Richard Brown — to senior commanders, lower ranking sailors and civilian program managers. Seventeen were cited for failures that "directly" led to the loss of the ship, while 17 others "contributed" to the loss of the ship. Two other sailors were faulted for not effectively helping the fire response. Of the 36, nine are civilians...
…Specifically, the report said failures of Vice Adm. Brown; Rear Adm. Scott Brown, the fleet maintenance officer for the Pacific Fleet; Rear Adm. William Greene, the fleet maintenance officer for U.S. Fleet Forces Command; Rear. Adm. Eric Ver Hage, commander of the regional maintenance center; Rear Adm. Bette Bolivar, commander of Navy Region Southwest; Capt. Mark Nieswiadomy, commander of Naval Base San Diego; and Capt. Tony Rodriguez, commander of Amphibious Squadron 5, all "contributed to the loss of the ship."

The report also directly faults the ship’s three top officers — Capt. Gregory Thoroman, the commanding officer; Capt. Michael Ray, the executive officer; and Command Master Chief Jose Hernandez — for not effectively ensuring the readiness and condition of the ship.

"The execution of his duties created an environment of poor training, maintenance and operational standards that directly led to the loss of the ship," the report said of Thoroman. And it said Ray, Hernandez and Capt. David Hart, commander of the Southwest Regional Maintenance Center, also failed in their responsibilities, which directly led to the loss of the ship.

The report only provides names for senior naval officers. Others were described solely by their job or rank.

More broadly, the crew was slammed for "a pattern of failed drills, minimal crew participation, an absence of basic knowledge on firefighting" and an inability to coordinate with civilian firefighters.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/navy-probe-r ... me-richard
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:23 pm

Investigations continue into the cause of the fire, which burned for almost five days and smothered south San Diego County in noxious smoke

A fire that raged for almost five days in July has doomed the San Diego-based amphibious assault ship USS Bonhomme Richard to the scrapyards, Navy officials announced Monday.

The ship will be decommissioned within a year and will be scrapped, a Navy official told reporters during a conference call Monday. The cause of the fire is still under investigation.

The cost of repairing the ship was estimated to be between $2.5 billion and $3.2 billion, said Rear Adm. Eric Ver Hage Monday. The cost and time involved were deemed to be too much by Navy leadership.

“After thorough consideration, the secretary of the Navy and the Chief of Naval Operations have decided to decommission the USS Bonhomme Richard,” said Ver Hage, the commander of Navy Regional Maintenance Center.

Looks like some heads are going to roll here, including 4 admirals and 4 Captains (O-6)..
A Navy report has concluded there were sweeping failures by commanders, crew members and others that fueled the July 2020 arson fire that destroyed the USS Bonhomme Richard, calling the massive five-day blaze in San Diego preventable and unacceptable.

While one sailor has been charged with setting the fire, the more than 400-page report, obtained by The Associated Press, lists three dozen officers and sailors whose failings either directly led to the ship's loss or contributed to it. The findings detailed widespread lapses in training, coordination, communication, fire preparedness, equipment maintenance and overall command and control….
…The report spreads blame across a wide range of ranks and responsibilities, from the now retired three-star admiral who headed Naval Surface Force Pacific Fleet — Vice Adm. Richard Brown — to senior commanders, lower ranking sailors and civilian program managers. Seventeen were cited for failures that "directly" led to the loss of the ship, while 17 others "contributed" to the loss of the ship. Two other sailors were faulted for not effectively helping the fire response. Of the 36, nine are civilians...
…Specifically, the report said failures of Vice Adm. Brown; Rear Adm. Scott Brown, the fleet maintenance officer for the Pacific Fleet; Rear Adm. William Greene, the fleet maintenance officer for U.S. Fleet Forces Command; Rear. Adm. Eric Ver Hage, commander of the regional maintenance center; Rear Adm. Bette Bolivar, commander of Navy Region Southwest; Capt. Mark Nieswiadomy, commander of Naval Base San Diego; and Capt. Tony Rodriguez, commander of Amphibious Squadron 5, all "contributed to the loss of the ship."

The report also directly faults the ship’s three top officers — Capt. Gregory Thoroman, the commanding officer; Capt. Michael Ray, the executive officer; and Command Master Chief Jose Hernandez — for not effectively ensuring the readiness and condition of the ship.

"The execution of his duties created an environment of poor training, maintenance and operational standards that directly led to the loss of the ship," the report said of Thoroman. And it said Ray, Hernandez and Capt. David Hart, commander of the Southwest Regional Maintenance Center, also failed in their responsibilities, which directly led to the loss of the ship.

The report only provides names for senior naval officers. Others were described solely by their job or rank.

More broadly, the crew was slammed for "a pattern of failed drills, minimal crew participation, an absence of basic knowledge on firefighting" and an inability to coordinate with civilian firefighters.
No problem with heads rolling there. Supposed to be systems in place to mitigate the dangers of hot work - on a ship, in a plant, wherever. You don't follow those rules and your ship or place of business burns to the ground, then people will lose their jobs. Management needs to run a better ship or a plant when that happens.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

File this under the “color me shocked” header:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/police-depar ... e-new-cops

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No shit? Really? Years and years of abuse heaped on an entire profession; reviled as the single root cause of all racism in America and we wonder why nobody wants to do the job now?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:39 pm

No problem with heads rolling there. Supposed to be systems in place to mitigate the dangers of hot work - on a ship, in a plant, wherever. You don't follow those rules and your ship or place of business burns to the ground, then people will lose their jobs. Management needs to run a better ship or a plant when that happens.
This is further evidence of the decline of our military training. This shit would NEVER have flown on my ship when it was in the yards.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

AZGrizFan wrote:File this under the “color me shocked” header:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/police-depar ... e-new-cops

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No shit? Really? Years and years of abuse heaped on an entire profession; reviled as the single root cause of all racism in America and we wonder why nobody wants to do the job now?
Good!

Idiocy requires consequences.

I only feel sorry for the more impoverished communities that are going to suffer... but they turn out to vote at about the same rate as Appalachians so sympathy only goes so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

:ohno: All the heads should roll. What an egregious failure.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:08 am
UNI88 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:00 am ‘Airplane!’ creator slams joy-killing threat: ‘Twitter 9 percent’

Lot of truth here.
Oh hell yeah…and it transcends ideology. Growing up…much of the 9 percent was the Christian fundies. But then…Tipper Gore.

Had this conversation last night with my Mormon, Trump loving, close friend regarding Gruden (he’s also a huge Raiders fan)

He reminded me that back in the day, we played “smear the queer” and called each other “fag.”

Those terms don’t fly today. The world changes as do cultural views. You can either attempt to deny change and growl at what the world is becoming or attenpt to apply some equanimity and be less bitter about things. Regardless of what you think is fair or important.
I’m neither denying nor bitter. Just showing reality. :D
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Top Federal Reserve officials will be banned from a broad range of financial trades and face stricter approval and disclosure requirements under a set of new rules announced by the bank Thursday.

The new rules come as the Fed faces growing backlash over investment decisions made by top officials in 2020 as the bank deployed trillions in emergency relief efforts meant to stabilize financial markets and support the economy through the COVID-19 pandemic.
https://thehill.com/policy/finance/5778 ... id-scandal

I have an idea - hear me out.

2 new Index Funds are created, $CONK and $DONK, each populated with companies that either align R or D, companies OWNED by influential R or D donors, companies that do work specifically one of the other (like DWAC), and maybe companies that simply align to R or D principles/policies (Space X for $DONK and Smith&Wesson for $CONK).

Further more - Government officials can only invest in the index fund that's contrary to their politics - perhaps Donks would be more willing to go easy on the restrictive gun control laws if their fortunes were tied to that industry.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:20 am
kalm wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:08 am

Oh hell yeah…and it transcends ideology. Growing up…much of the 9 percent was the Christian fundies. But then…Tipper Gore.

Had this conversation last night with my Mormon, Trump loving, close friend regarding Gruden (he’s also a huge Raiders fan)

He reminded me that back in the day, we played “smear the queer” and called each other “fag.”

Those terms don’t fly today. The world changes as do cultural views. You can either attempt to deny change and growl at what the world is becoming or attenpt to apply some equanimity and be less bitter about things. Regardless of what you think is fair or important.
I’m neither denying nor bitter. Just showing reality. :D
Very wise of you.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

https://www.propublica.org/article/the- ... l-assaults
The school founded by evangelist Jerry Falwell ignored reports of rape and threatened to punish accusers for breaking its moral code, say former students. An official who says he was fired for raising concerns calls it a “conspiracy of silence.”
Boy...you'd think a school built on Christian principles would actually live by them. :ohno:
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

Almost 10???

“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Col Hogan wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:57 pm Almost 10???

I'd like to know who the 10 were.

Regardless of the number that died, if she's right and members of Congress participated in the planning and knew that Congress could be a target then they should be charged.

The hypocrisy between her reaction to January 6 and the AnTIfA/BLM riots would be questioned by a fair and independent media.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:38 pm

Regardless of the number that died, if she's right and members of Congress participated in the planning and knew that Congress could be a target then they should be charged.

The hypocrisy between her reaction to January 6 and the AnTIfA/BLM riots would be questioned by a fair and independent media.
Agree, I thought it was 5. Granted, any life lost is too much, but I don't think you get to round 5 up to "almost 10" just because that's how you round to the nearest tens in math class. And yes, the loss of lives during the riots throughout 2020 seemed to be glossed over as well.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

They were different situations. Why would you expect her response to be the same?
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

kalm wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:06 am

They were different situations. Why would you expect her response to be the same?
Different as in how? You're gonna need to be a little more specific. :?

There are many more similarities than there are differences.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

So it's ok that she thinks 1/6/21 was a violent attempt to overthrow the government while the AnTIfA/BLM riots were just peaceful protests that were righteous and justified? That disconnect with reality is part of what upsets the MAGAts and in this instance, their anger isn't misplaced.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:48 am

So it's ok that she thinks 1/6/21 was a violent attempt to overthrow the government while the AnTIfA/BLM riots were just peaceful protests that were righteous and justified? That disconnect with reality is part of what upsets the MAGAts and in this instance, their anger isn't misplaced.
Of course that’s not OK, if that’s what she has said in comparing the two.

And reality is what upsets most people…but especially MAGA’s. And yes..their anger is mostly misplaced.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Baldy wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:16 am

Ok
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:57 am
UNI88 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:48 am

And reality is what upsets most people…but especially MAGA’s. And yes..their anger is mostly misplaced.
That's not what she says but it is what she implies when she speaks out forcefully against 1/6/21 while saying little about the AnTIfA/BLM insurrections. Illiberals like AOChe want to focus on 1/6/21 and pretend that the AnTIfA/BLM insurrections weren't an attack on our governments. National populists want to focus on the AnTIfA/BLM insurrections and pretend that 1/6/21 was just a peaceful protest. Both approaches are dishonest.

And as far as the MAGAts anger, it's good to know that anger over a double-standard is misplaced. We can now let POC and women know that their anger over how they were/are treated is misplaced.

Reality upsets illiberals just as much as MAGAts - climate change, biological gender, socialism doesn't work on a large scale, etc.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

kalm wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:58 am
Baldy wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:16 am

Ok
You're doing great! :lol:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Baldy wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:27 pm

Ok
Denial is hard.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Baldy wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:27 pm

Ok
:lol:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:39 pm
kalm wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:57 am

That's not what she says but it is what she implies when she speaks out forcefully against 1/6/21 while saying little about the AnTIfA/BLM insurrections. Illiberals like AOChe want to focus on 1/6/21 and pretend that the AnTIfA/BLM insurrections weren't an attack on our governments. National populists want to focus on the AnTIfA/BLM insurrections and pretend that 1/6/21 was just a peaceful protest. Both approaches are dishonest.

And as far as the MAGAts anger, it's good to know that anger over a double-standard is misplaced. We can now let POC and women know that their anger over how they were/are treated is misplaced.

Reality upsets illiberals just as much as MAGAts - climate change, biological gender, socialism doesn't work on a large scale, etc.
Interesting that you view BLM protests as an attack on our government and therefore the same. I’m not saying that’s wrong but perhaps a convenient simplification? Like comparing the grievances of Ya’ll Queda to POC and women?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:39 am
UNI88 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:39 pm

Interesting that you view BLM protests as an attack on our government and therefore the same. I’m not saying that’s wrong but perhaps a convenient simplification? Like comparing the grievances of Ya’ll Queda to POC and women?
What started as BLM protests devolved into AntFa riots/insurrections whose main targets were courthouses and other government institutions. Those were an attack on our government and were ignored or quietly supported by AOChe and her comrades.

Giving one set of attacks on the government a pass while focusing efforts on the other is a double-standard. The mistreatment of POC and women is also a double-standard. A post-partisan believes that double standards are bad regardless of whether they might agree with them.