Political discussions
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by JohnStOnge »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:44 pm JSO declaring he was correct after disagreeing with CID ...

I've used that Monty Python scene for stuff like that before myself. But it's pretty clear that he hadn't read the letter before he made his first post. I know you have man crush. But he is not winning this debate. He's losing.

That letter does not at all bolster the "lab leak theory" case. It just doesn't. The Black Knight, in this case, is CID. He's trying to cover himself because he went with an editorial by a conservative instead of actually looking at the information before he typed.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:44 pm JSO declaring he was correct after disagreeing with CID ...

I've used that Monty Python scene for stuff like that before myself. But it's pretty clear that he hadn't read the letter before he made his first post. I know you have man crush. But he is not winning this debate. He's losing.

That letter does not at all bolster the "lab leak theory" case. It just doesn't. The Black Knight, in this case, is CID. He's trying to cover himself because he went with an editorial by a conservative instead of actually looking at the information before he typed.
You are demonstrably wrong on full display here.

The letter clearly states that the WIV was doing GOF research on bat coronaviruses. I quoted it for you. Part of the crux of the zoonotic transfer argument is that it could not have come from the WIV because the WIV was not even doing GOF research on coronaviruses at all. The NIH admits they were.

At this point I can only conclude that I am debating with your mental illness rather than you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:17 pm

He's trying to cover himself because he went with an editorial by a conservative instead of actually looking at the information before he typed.
An editorial by a conservative! The horror! You’re now fully outed as a BernieBro. Congratulations.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

CID1990 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:21 pm
JohnStOnge wrote:
That letter does not describe gain of function reasearch.
OK you are officially ill, JSO.

Since you are obviously impaired of in some weird fugue state, here is the first paragraph of the letter:

“A letter from Lawrence Tabak, the National Institutes of Health’s principal deputy director, to Kentucky congressman James Comer confirms that the NIH funded research at the WIV during 2018–2019 that manipulated a bat coronavirus called WIV1. Researchers at the institute grafted spike proteins from other coronaviruses onto WIV1 to see if the modified virus was capable of binding in a mouse that possessed the ACE2 receptors found in humans—the same receptor to which SARS-CoV-2 binds. The modified virus reproduced more rapidly and made infected humanized mice sicker than the unmodified virus.”

^^^^ that is PRECISELY gain of function research. Maybe you should tell us (and me with just a biology degree with an emphasis on microbiology) what YOU think GOF research is if not what is described above?

Whatever the hell is wronge with you

Ok. I had time to go back and see where the "first paragraph" thing came from. This is apparently it. The quote is not from the first paragraph of the letter. It is a quote from a conservative opinion piece. Also, to be completely accurate, it is not the first paragraph anything. It is the second paragraph of the opinion piece.

However, I will say that opinions on exactly what "gain of function" research is vary. One example is provided by the blog piece by a Columbia University virologist at https://www.virology.ws/2021/09/09/gain ... explained/. His take on this current situation is as follows:
GoF research has been in the press again recently as a consequence of the COVID-19 pandemic. After the SARS-CoV pandemic of 2003, wildlife sampling efforts in China revealed many SARS-like coronaviruses in bats. To assess the potential of these viruses for infecting humans, their spike protein encoding genes were substituted into the SARS-like CoV WIV1. These recombinant viruses reproduced in human airway cells – no different from WIV1 – but at least one caused more severe disease in mice. Consequently these are GoF experiments. Some have suggested that such GoF work gave rise to SARS-CoV-2 in a lab, but this notion is impossible, as none of these viruses are close enough to be a precursor of the current pandemic virus.

The production of recombinant coronaviruses to assess pandemic potential was carried out in several laboratories, all funded by the NIH. Recently Dr. Anthony Fauci told Congress that the NIH did not fund GoF coronavirus research. The press has suggested that he lied, but the truth is that his definition of GoF research is that it only involves passaged of organisms in animals. This interpretation is not correct but being wrong does not mean you are lying.
For the situation described in the NIH letter to mean the lab leak theory appears more likely there would have to be some evidence that SARS-CoV-2 is a virus created through manipulation. And that evidence does not exist. Yes, I know there was a flurry of discussion some time ago claiming that such evidence does exist. But it was debunked.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

CID1990 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:03 pm
JohnStOnge wrote:

You are demonstrably wrong on full display here.

The letter clearly states that the WIV was doing GOF research on bat coronaviruses. I quoted it for you. Part of the crux of the zoonotic transfer argument is that it could not have come from the WIV because the WIV was not even doing GOF research on coronaviruses at all. The NIH admits they were.

At this point I can only conclude that I am debating with your mental illness rather than you.

You quoted the editorial, not the letter. And even the editorial says this:
Many, but not all, virologists believe that the WIV experimentation qualifies as gain-of-function research.
The letter does not contain the terminology "gain of function."

Also, the virus could have come from the WIV lab without the lab doing any gain of function research, however that is defined. It also could have arisen from a natural zoonotic transfer, as I think most virologists believe it did, even though the WIV WAS doing gain of function research. Molecular virologists do not think it is likely that SARS-CoV-2 came from laboratory manipulation.
Could I ever be a star?

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Jesus H. Tap Dancing Christ….watching you do circles in your logic to try and weasel your way out of this is fucking comical to watch.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:50 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:33 pm Hope I'm wrong, but it looks as if the 4th wave may be starting in Israel. Some believe it may be the worst wave yet.
Guess it’s gaining its OWN function as it spreads….
Maybe we should lock down for 15 days....that'll stop it. :lol: :dunce:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:22 pm Jesus H. Tap Dancing Christ….watching you do circles in your logic to try and weasel your way out of this is fucking comical to watch.
Oh it's glorious isn't it? :rofl:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Well that didn‘t take long lol..
A federal appeals court in Louisiana has blocked the Biden administration’s latest COVID-19 vaccination mandate, giving the government until Monday afternoon to submit a response.

An emergency stay, issued Saturday from the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, prevents the White House from requiring all full and part-time workers at private-sector companies with 100 or more employees to be vaccinated or get tested weekly and wear face masks.

In its decision, the court cited “grave statutory and constitutional” concerns about the government’s mandate, which is scheduled to take effect on January 4.

The mandate — issued Thursday under a new rule by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) — would apply to some 84 million Americans.

It has been challenged in court by more than two dozen states, including Texas, Missouri and Louisiana.

Employers who don’t comply could face fines of up to $14,000 per infraction, according to the government’s guidelines.…
https://nypost.com/2021/11/06/us-appeal ... e-mandate/
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Oh.
Stockholm — Sweden's Public Health Agency on Wednesday recommended a temporary halt to the use of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine among young adults, citing concerns over rare side effects to the heart. It said the pause should initially be in force until December 1, explaining that it had received evidence of an increased risk of side effects such as inflammation of the heart muscle (myocarditis) and inflammation of the pericardium (pericarditis).

"The Public Health Agency has decided to pause the use of Moderna's vaccine Spikevax, for everyone born 1991 and after, for cautionary reasons," the agency said in a statement, adding that those groups should instead receive the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-vacc ... under-30s/
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Oh.

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

SDHornet wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:29 pm Oh.

Majority from Covid or the Vaccine?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Got my booster (Pfizer) on Friday, maybe a mild headache the next day but otherwise no issue. For me, we're in endemic mode now, pandemic's over. :thumb:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:45 am Got my booster (Pfizer) on Friday, maybe a mild headache the next day but otherwise no issue. For me, we're in endemic mode now, pandemic's over. :thumb:
Got my booster Friday, just a sore arm, same with the flu shot in the other arm.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:02 pm Well that didn‘t take long lol..
A federal appeals court in Louisiana has blocked the Biden administration’s latest COVID-19 vaccination mandate, giving the government until Monday afternoon to submit a response.

An emergency stay, issued Saturday from the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, prevents the White House from requiring all full and part-time workers at private-sector companies with 100 or more employees to be vaccinated or get tested weekly and wear face masks.

In its decision, the court cited “grave statutory and constitutional” concerns about the government’s mandate, which is scheduled to take effect on January 4.

The mandate — issued Thursday under a new rule by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) — would apply to some 84 million Americans.

It has been challenged in court by more than two dozen states, including Texas, Missouri and Louisiana.

Employers who don’t comply could face fines of up to $14,000 per infraction, according to the government’s guidelines.…
https://nypost.com/2021/11/06/us-appeal ... e-mandate/
I was reading somewhere that there were several business associations also opposed to the "mandate".
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:45 am Got my booster (Pfizer) on Friday, maybe a mild headache the next day but otherwise no issue. For me, we're in endemic mode now, pandemic's over. :thumb:
For everyone we’ve been in endemic mode now, pandemic has been over..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Friend of a friend went to a Halloween party and 12 people have come down with Covid. The person who came to the party with flu like symptoms (WTF?) was vaxed.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:38 pm Friend of a friend went to a Halloween party and 12 people have come down with Covid. The person who came to the party with flu like symptoms (WTF?) was vaxed.
Being vaxxed doesn't help or hurt common sense.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm

MAQA yahoos - putting the Q into qrazy qanon conspiracy theories since 2015.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

89Hen wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:38 pm Friend of a friend went to a Halloween party and 12 people have come down with Covid. The person who came to the party with flu like symptoms (WTF?) was vaxed.
Inoculating the population one party at a time.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:13 pm
Not sure. I think for some, they feel invincible and would go to a party with flu-like symptoms figuring they were safe. This is why I really don't like places saying those unvaxed need to be tested to come to work/school.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:44 pm
Not sure. I think for some, they feel invincible and would go to a party with flu-like symptoms figuring they were safe. This is why I really don't like places saying those unvaxed need to be tested to come to work/school.
They lacked the common sense to begin with. The vaccine gave them a false sense of security which caused a problem when combined with their existing lack of common sense.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:16 pm
They lacked the common sense to begin with. The vaccine gave them a false sense of security which caused a problem when combined with their existing lack of common sense.

:nod: to both of these.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Yep. We know that vaxxed folks can spread the China Virus, if any place is going to require tests, why is it being limited to un-vaxxed?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:32 pm
Yep. We know that vaxxed folks can spread the China Virus, if any place is going to require tests, why is it being limited to un-vaxxed?
I don't know. Is it possible that since the vaxxed get milder cases of COVID that the virus they spread is less dangerous on average?

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:19 am
SDHornet wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:32 pm

I don't know. Is it possible that since the vaxxed get milder cases of COVID that the virus they spread is less dangerous on average?
Perhaps.

Hospital procedures around here require tests regardless.