Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Re: The Ukraine Crisis

Post by Baldy »

houndawg wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:32 pm
UNI88 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:05 am

Anyone who believes that wasn't in jest is too stupid to vote if we use JSO's intelligence & voting proposal.
Right up there with the crowd that took seriously a comment about an island tipping over.... :coffee:
You don't know Hank Johnson...he was serious.
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

kalm wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:21 am
Baldy wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:13 am
That man is probably the greatest troll of all time and you people fall for it and get the vapors every.single.time. :lol:
So Trump didn’t say it?
I'm sure he probably did. :?
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:54 pm
SDHornet wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:50 pm

He didn’t exactly win the comment section there.
So does that mean he's wrong, or that the pro-war propaganda is working?
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

houndawg wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:54 am
Baldy wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:13 am
That man is probably the greatest troll of all time and you people fall for it and get the vapors every.single.time. :lol:
Maybe it looks different from Turd Blossom, GA, but it sure does seem like its history's greatest troll thats the one succumbing to the vapors these days :lol:
One can only hope.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:52 pm

For landscaping crews its completely unfeasable.
Berman said the state has set aside $30 million to help professional landscapers and gardeners make the transition from gas-powered equipment to zero-emission equipment, but an industry representative said that’s woefully inadequate for the estimated 50,000 small businesses that will be affected by the law.

Andrew Bray, vice president of government relations for the National Assn. of Landscape Professionals, said the zero-emission commercial-grade equipment landscapers use is also prohibitively expensive and less efficient than the existing gas-powered lawn mowers, leaf blowers and other small machinery. For example, a gas-powered commercial riding lawn mower costs $7,000 to $11,000, but its zero-emission equivalent costs more than twice that amount, he said.

Another major expense will be batteries. Bray said a three-person landscaping crew will need to carry 30 to 40 fully charged batteries to power its equipment during a full day’s work.

“These companies are going to have to completely retrofit their entire workshops to be able to handle this massive change in voltage so they’re going to be charged every day,” Bray said.
https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... af-blowers
Residential and commercial use cases are two different animals.

This affects the commercial people the most as they use their equipment non-stop. Imagine cutting down eucalyptus trees (imported and planted all over SoCal) with an electric chainsaw for a day or so. The amount of batter packs it will take to make it through a working day is going to be very large.

You can use one for a topper or de-limber but that is just an intermediate use case.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Winterborn wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:44 pm

This affects the commercial people the most as they use their equipment non-stop. Imagine cutting down eucalyptus trees (imported and planted all over SoCal) with an electric chainsaw for a day or so. The amount of batter packs it will take to make it through a working day is going to be very large.

You can use one for a topper or de-limber but that is just an intermediate use case.
Plug-in electric chainsaws are much stronger than battery-powered but you need access to electricity. I had one and bought a 100 ft extension cord to cut down buckthorn.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Removed from SWIFT banking system
Germany suspended Norstream2 development
Airspace bans by UK, Germany, Latvia, Slovenia, Romania
EU freezes assets of Putin
Seizing yachts, financial assets, real estate of oligarchs
Export blocks on technology

The following companies have halted or suspended operations in Russia, or canceled business dealings with Russia:

Ford
Apple
Disney
Ikea
Exxon
Boeing
Harley-Davidson
GM
Toyota
Volkswagen
Airbus
Facebook
Netflix
BP
Roku
Shell
Spotify
Mastercard
Visa
American Express
DirecTV
Warner Media
H&M
Maersk Shipping
MSC Shipping

There's one glaring omission from this (incomplete) list. I'll give you three guesses, and the first two don't count.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:52 pm

Plug-in electric chainsaws are much stronger than battery-powered but you need access to electricity. I had one and bought a 100 ft extension cord to cut down buckthorn.
They used to be, but the new packs are on par with the plug-in varieties. And you do not have to worry about cutting cords and electrocuting oneself (accident rate is on par with their gas powered counterparts). Or amperage losses that shorten the life of the electric motor due to long extension cords.

Plus what are you going to run an electric plug in chainsaw (or battery) off of when a storm rolls through and there is no power or a firecrew needs to cut a firebreak? Heat kills lithium-ion batteries (and what does SoCal have plenty of?), plus too much heat can cause them to explode unexpectedly.

There is a time and place for electric, commercial is not it (yet). Residential is already going there as the use cases are so much less severe. This is just another dumb bit of overreach that is going to have consequences that the legislators didn't think of. Which is typical of "feel" good, publicity driven legislation that has become so common in certain states these last few years (or longer).

The exemptions that will be added to this bill are going to be many and the only thing it will accomplish is to create an inconvenience for the common public.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:12 pm Removed from SWIFT banking system

The following companies have halted or suspended operations in Russia, or canceled business dealings with Russia:

Ford
Apple
Disney
Ikea
Exxon
Boeing
Harley-Davidson
GM
Toyota
Volkswagen
Airbus
Facebook
Netflix
BP
Roku
Shell
Spotify
Mastercard
Visa
American Express
DirecTV
Warner Media
H&M
Maersk Shipping
MSC Shipping

There's one glaring omission from this (incomplete) list. I'll give you three guesses, and the first two don't count.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Baldy wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:55 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:12 pm Removed from SWIFT banking system

Ford
Apple
Disney
Ikea
Exxon
Boeing
Harley-Davidson
GM
Toyota
Volkswagen
Airbus
Facebook
Netflix
BP
Roku
Shell
Spotify
Mastercard
Visa
American Express
DirecTV
Warner Media
H&M
Maersk Shipping
MSC Shipping

well, unless we're shipping a billion dollars a day to Russia for 685,000 barrels of that, then you would be incorrect.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Idiot virtue-signaling corporations doing what will only affect average Russians and not Putin or the Russian oligarchs. Take a stand against China then I'll be impressed.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Pwns wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:59 pm Idiot virtue-signaling corporations doing what will only affect average Russians and not Putin or the Russian oligarchs. Take a stand against China then I'll be impressed.
:nod:
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

Pwns wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:59 pm Idiot virtue-signaling corporations doing what will only affect average Russians and not Putin or the Russian oligarchs. Take a stand against China then I'll be impressed.
Exactly.
Putin wants to reunify the old USSR. De-Westernizing Russia does nothing but help his cause.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Baldy wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:56 pm
houndawg wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:32 pm

Right up there with the crowd that took seriously a comment about an island tipping over.... :coffee:
You don't know Hank Johnson...he was serious.
Exhibit A

Quod erat demonstratum :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Winterborn wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:13 pm
UNI88 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:52 pm

They used to be, but the new packs are on par with the plug-in varieties. And you do not have to worry about cutting cords and electrocuting oneself (accident rate is on par with their gas powered counterparts). Or amperage losses that shorten the life of the electric motor due to long extension cords.

Plus what are you going to run an electric plug in chainsaw (or battery) off of when a storm rolls through and there is no power or a firecrew needs to cut a firebreak? Heat kills lithium-ion batteries (and what does SoCal have plenty of?), plus too much heat can cause them to explode unexpectedly.

There is a time and place for electric, commercial is not it (yet). Residential is already going there as the use cases are so much less severe. This is just another dumb bit of overreach that is going to have consequences that the legislators didn't think of. Which is typical of "feel" good, publicity driven legislation that has become so common in certain states these last few years (or longer).

The exemptions that will be added to this bill are going to be many and the only thing it will accomplish is to create an inconvenience for the common public.
Me? 14kW worth of solar panels. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

SDHornet wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:04 pm
the switch to the yuan is inescapable
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

houndawg wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:03 am
Winterborn wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:13 pm

Me? 14kW worth of solar panels. :coffee:
That is good for a permanent installation but what about mobile?

I plan on having something similar on my Shome (along with a Tesla Powerwall), but the energy density of fuel and its ability to be portable isn't something one can just wave away with a hand gesture or legislation.

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

The General Secretary has issued a list of demands for ending the war, and they're unconscionable....

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kremlin-says ... 03035.html

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Eucalyptus trees are self pruning! :lol:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

War's over. Everyone go home. This worked.

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:11 am War's over. Everyone go home. This worked.

Poutine is not a war criminal. It's a delicious blend of french fries, cheese, and gravy. WTF?
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

93henfan wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:31 am Poutine is not a war criminal. It's a delicious blend of french fries, cheese, and gravy. WTF?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:06 am

Eucalyptus trees are self pruning! :lol:
The trunks are not. :kisswink:

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:10 pm
Baldy wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:55 pm
well, unless we're shipping a billion dollars a day to Russia for 685,000 barrels of that, then you would be incorrect.
Does Amazon deliver oil? 😉