#DHSLeaks

Political discussions
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

#DHSLeaks

Post by SDHornet »

So it comes out "officially" that Big Tech was in cahoots with the gubmint to combat "misinformation". There's a word for that, no?
THE DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY is quietly broadening its efforts to curb speech it considers dangerous, an investigation by The Intercept has found. Years of internal DHS memos, emails, and documents — obtained via leaks and an ongoing lawsuit, as well as public documents — illustrate an expansive effort by the agency to influence tech platforms.

The work, much of which remains unknown to the American public, came into clearer view earlier this year when DHS announced a new “Disinformation Governance Board”: a panel designed to police misinformation (false information spread unintentionally), disinformation (false information spread intentionally), and malinformation (factual information shared, typically out of context, with harmful intent) that allegedly threatens U.S. interests. While the board was widely ridiculed, immediately scaled back, and then shut down within a few months, other initiatives are underway as DHS pivots to monitoring social media now that its original mandate — the war on terror — has been wound down.

Behind closed doors, and through pressure on private platforms, the U.S. government has used its power to try to shape online discourse. According to meeting minutes and other records appended to a lawsuit filed by Missouri Attorney General Eric Schmitt, a Republican who is also running for Senate, discussions have ranged from the scale and scope of government intervention in online discourse to the mechanics of streamlining takedown requests for false or intentionally misleading information.
https://theintercept.com/2022/10/31/soc ... ation-dhs/

Now you can understand the Leftist meltdown over Elon's purchase of Twitter.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: #DHSLeaks

Post by SuperHornet »

I guess the question is who's in control of the narrative. The ones in control of the narrative get to define what "misinformation," "disinformation," and "malinformation" are. That's because they get to define what's in "US interests," and what that typically means is what's in "Leftist interests...."

SMH....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:28 pm So it comes out "officially" that Big Tech was in cahoots with the gubmint to combat "misinformation". There's a word for that, no?
THE DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY is quietly broadening its efforts to curb speech it considers dangerous, an investigation by The Intercept has found. Years of internal DHS memos, emails, and documents — obtained via leaks and an ongoing lawsuit, as well as public documents — illustrate an expansive effort by the agency to influence tech platforms.

The work, much of which remains unknown to the American public, came into clearer view earlier this year when DHS announced a new “Disinformation Governance Board”: a panel designed to police misinformation (false information spread unintentionally), disinformation (false information spread intentionally), and malinformation (factual information shared, typically out of context, with harmful intent) that allegedly threatens U.S. interests. While the board was widely ridiculed, immediately scaled back, and then shut down within a few months, other initiatives are underway as DHS pivots to monitoring social media now that its original mandate — the war on terror — has been wound down.

Behind closed doors, and through pressure on private platforms, the U.S. government has used its power to try to shape online discourse. According to meeting minutes and other records appended to a lawsuit filed by Missouri Attorney General Eric Schmitt, a Republican who is also running for Senate, discussions have ranged from the scale and scope of government intervention in online discourse to the mechanics of streamlining takedown requests for false or intentionally misleading information.

And this is one instance where both sides do it. It’s a fascinating topic going back to the patriot act. Sunlight is still the best disinfectant but I’m not sure this genie will ever be put back in the bottle. Who provides oversight of DHS?
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

I don't know enough about IT capacity or required infrastructure, but an article I read a while ago, was questioning how Twitter survived while losing money off its current format.

The point being is that you would have to have some real IT capabilities just to run Twitter due to all the users and all the posting.

The solution to needing costly infrastructure to run your money loser of a business model? Gubmint. Sure fire way to have access to all users tweets and data.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:43 am I don't know enough about IT capacity or required infrastructure, but an article I read a while ago, was questioning how Twitter survived while losing money off its current format.

The point being is that you would have to have some real IT capabilities just to run Twitter due to all the users and all the posting.

The solution to needing costly infrastructure to run your money loser of a business model? Gubmint. Sure fire way to have access to all users tweets and data.
Sounds like a smart business decision to buy it.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:28 pm So it comes out "officially" that Big Tech was in cahoots with the gubmint to combat "misinformation". There's a word for that, no?

You've got yourself all worked up over shit everybody has known for decades. :coffee:

What is this "twitter" of which you speak, young Skywalker? :?
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:58 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:43 am I don't know enough about IT capacity or required infrastructure, but an article I read a while ago, was questioning how Twitter survived while losing money off its current format.

Sounds like a smart business decision to buy it.
Yes, but if the government does have their hands on Twitter, how much freedom will Musk really be allowed.

I guess it's going to be a wait and see if the censorship/narratives continue.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

#DHSLeaks is far worse than anything the conks have done, and goes to show that the biggest threat to democacy is govt itself…
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

houndawg wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:51 am
You've got yourself all worked up over shit everybody has known for decades. :coffee:

Some people actually believed Big Tech was policing itself. Anyone with a brainstem knew big daddy gubmint was involved, we just now have the proof. :coffee:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:42 pm

Some people actually believed Big Tech was policing itself. Anyone with a brainstem knew big daddy gubmint was involved, we just now have the proof. :coffee:
And can we agree that neither big government nor their donors can be trusted? They’re pretty much one and the same in many instances.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Anyone with a brain stem has known it since before the most of you ran down your mom's leg. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

your newfound zeal is commendable but this "news" is as old Big Tech
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

houndawg wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:43 pm

Forgot you already responded to my post a week prior to this one? Take your pills and get a nap my man. :lol:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

SDHornet wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:24 pm
houndawg wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:43 pm

Forgot you already responded to my post a week prior to this one? Take your pills and get a nap my man. :lol:
I enjoy outstanding health and my morning wood could ring the Liberty Bell. :coffee:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Elon released the Twitter files via Matt Tiabbi (paging kalm) on the Hunter Biden suppression earlier this evening. Smoking gun evidence of what we all already suspected wrt the gubmint leaning on Big Tech. No only did they suppress the laptop story, the spooks even ran with the "Russian disinformation" lies as a cover. I'm sure the gubmint was using all the Big Tech companies to run similar ops on the populace.

Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

SDHornet wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:26 pm Elon released the Twitter files via Matt Tiabbi (paging kalm) on the Hunter Biden suppression earlier this evening. Smoking gun evidence of what we all already suspected wrt the gubmint leaning on Big Tech. No only did they suppress the laptop story, the spooks even ran with the "Russian disinformation" lies as a cover. I'm sure the gubmint was using all the Big Tech companies to run similar ops on the populace.

Donks being Donks. :nod:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Baldy wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:45 am
SDHornet wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:26 pm Elon released the Twitter files via Matt Tiabbi (paging kalm) on the Hunter Biden suppression earlier this evening. Smoking gun evidence of what we all already suspected wrt the gubmint leaning on Big Tech. No only did they suppress the laptop story, the spooks even ran with the "Russian disinformation" lies as a cover. I'm sure the gubmint was using all the Big Tech companies to run similar ops on the populace.

Donks being Donks. :nod:
Control of the media and means of communication. Heck, that's almost fascism right there. :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

It was also posted in another thread. I’m quite sure this will be HUGE (in MAGA land).

:)
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:56 am

It was also posted in another thread. I’m quite sure this will be HUGE (in MAGA land).

You referenced it (I believe you called Taibbi's turd of a thread) but didn't post any tweets. I posted some tweets in response.

What Taibbi is reporting bothers me (and should bother any rational American) and I'm not a MAGAt. In fact, I would argue that you're more of a full-on Marxist than I am a MAGAt.

So please, you and your Deputy Dawg can continue to warn of the threat that trump poses to the Republic while defending and deflecting as the establishment chips away at our freedoms.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:01 am
kalm wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:56 am

You referenced it (I believe you called Taibbi's turd of a thread) but didn't post any tweets. I posted some tweets in response.

What Taibbi is reporting bothers me (and should bother any rational American) and I'm not a MAGAt. In fact, I would argue that you're more of a full-on Marxist than I am a MAGAt.

So please, you and your Deputy Dawg can continue to warn of the threat that trump poses to the Republic while defending and deflecting as the establishment chips away at our freedoms.
And you’re now polishing that turd. Lol. There really wasn’t much revelatory about Taibbi’s thread. Both sides made similar requests. IF twitter’s moderation team showed ANY favoritism towards D requests, that deserves to be criticized. Much in the same way Fox News or National Review or MSNBC deserve to be criticized. This was a flop as it was pitched as a huge gotcha by Elon himself. It wasn’t.

Regarding Ganny’s fascism quip it equally fell short. Who was in charge of the government at that time?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:45 am

And you’re now polishing that turd. Lol. There really wasn’t much revelatory about Taibbi’s thread. Both sides made similar requests. IF twitter’s moderation team showed ANY favoritism towards D requests, that deserves to be criticized. Much in the same way Fox News or National Review or MSNBC deserve to be criticized. This was a flop as it was pitched as a huge gotcha by Elon himself. It wasn’t.

Regarding Ganny’s fascism quip it equally fell short. Who was in charge of the government at that time?
The bureaucracy? I doubt Trump was doing a lot of micro-managing. Hindenburg was technically in charge of Germany while fascism was taking hold under him. If we're going to be absurd about making historical parallels to carry message board banter, then what's good for the goose and gander thing. :rofl:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

There is more proof that Twitter favored Democratic requests than there's proof that trump is a fascist but you keep polishing that turd of an argument.

The First Amendment and the Bill of Rights aren't absolute? Let's skip past that and hope nobody notices because?

As a post-partisan moderate who votes for both Democrats and Republicans, I found the stuff reported in Taibbi's thread more frightening than trump or January 6.

kalm in action helping to destroy democracy to protect the Democratic Party ...
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:37 am

There is more proof that Twitter favored Democratic requests than there's proof that trump is a fascist but you keep polishing that turd of an argument.

The First Amendment and the Bill of Rights aren't absolute? Let's skip past that and hope nobody notices because?

As a post-partisan moderate who votes for both Democrats and Republicans, I found the stuff reported in Taibbi's thread more frightening than trump or January 6.

Odd now that Trump has literally called for the suspension of the constitution over losing an election. But ok.

Not sure where the bill of rights and 1A entered here but Twitter is a private organization, no? If you want it to be the true public square of free speech Musk supposedly aspires to, perhaps Twitter should be owned by the public like real town squares are?

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:44 pm
UNI88 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:37 am

Odd now that Trump has literally called for the suspension of the constitution over losing an election. But ok.

Not sure where the bill of rights and 1A entered here but Twitter is a private organization, no? If you want it to be the true public square of free speech Musk supposedly aspires to, perhaps Twitter should be owned by the public like real town squares are?

I'm not carrying trump's water on suspending the Constitution. That statement should disqualify him for future office. Anyone that supports him or votes for him needs to have their head checked. It is similar to those whackadoodles calling for expanding the SCOTUS or eliminating the Electoral College. They're all attacks on the foundation of our republic.

"Not sure where the bill of rights and 1A entered here":

Did you even bother to read all of Taibbi's tweets before deciding it was a "turd"?

Social media is the new town square but I don't trust the government to own them. One of trump's greatest accomplishments is solidifying my feeling that the powers-that-be in DC don't give 2 fvcks about regular people. They think we're sheep to be controlled and exploited.

But you be you and just keep defending and deflecting for the Democrats, sweeping their dirt under the rug by disingenuously saying that wrongdoing should be investigated knowing full well that the establishment isn't going to seriously investigate itself.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:11 pm
kalm wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:44 pm

I'm not carrying trump's water on suspending the Constitution. That statement should disqualify him for future office. Anyone that supports him or votes for him needs to have their head checked. It is similar to those whackadoodles calling for expanding the SCOTUS or eliminating the Electoral College. They're all attacks on the foundation of our republic.

"Not sure where the bill of rights and 1A entered here":

Did you even bother to read all of Taibbi's tweets before deciding it was a "turd"?

Social media is the new town square but I don't trust the government to own them. One of trump's greatest accomplishments is solidifying my feeling that the powers-that-be in DC don't give 2 fvcks about regular people. They think we're sheep to be controlled and exploited.

But you be you and just keep defending and deflecting for the Democrats, sweeping their dirt under the rug by disingenuously saying that wrongdoing should be investigated knowing full well that the establishment isn't going to seriously investigate itself.
I read the first drop of 18 or so. Are you now implying that this is indeed a first amendment issue rather than content moderation issue? If so, who should uphold that right? Can we apply to all media? Does Fox know this?

I agree with your 2nd to last paragraph.

Good god I hope you’re not carrying Trumps water. Musks has to be getting quite heavy already. Haha!