Political discussions
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: Israel-Palestine Drama Thread

Post by UNI88 »

Opinion: The antisemitic lie at the heart of too many campus protests
Claims that Israel has been committing a genocide of Palestinians date to long before October 7. Yet the population of Gaza was estimated to be less than 400,000 when Israel captured the territory from Egypt in a war against multiple Arab countries in 1967. It’s now estimated at just over 2 million. Population growth of almost 600% would make it the most inept genocide in the history of the world.

What about now?

Those repeating the word genocide over and over, turning it into a mantra that penetrates the public consciousness, smearing Israel and anyone who supports it, ignore the facts of this war.

This is not an unprovoked war, like Russia’s against Ukraine. It’s not a civil war between rival militias, like the one raging in Sudan — which, by the way, is being ignored by almost everyone, even though the UN describes it as one of the “worst humanitarian crises in recent memory,” where a famine could kill 500,000 people.

No, Israel was attacked. On October 7, Hamas launched a gruesome assault on Israeli civilians, killing some 1,200 — including many women and children — and dragging hundreds of them as hostages into Gaza. Today dozens — including many women and children — remain in captivity.

Those who keep saying that Israel’s response is an act of revenge rather than the strategic, defensive war that most Israelis view as a fight for national survival against a determined enemy backed by a powerful country are deliberately distorting reality. In doing so, they are perversely evoking the same false blood lust and grotesqueness embedded in the blood libel archetype.

Hamas’ massacre, its wide-ranging sexual violence, its burning of entire families in their homes, its vow to do it again — these and other serious threats that the group poses to Israelis get ignored in the characterizations of the Israel Defense Forces as pursuing only vengeance by killing Gazan civilians.

Indeed, Hamas’ actions, which precipitated this war, don’t seem to exist in the minds of ostensibly humanitarian-minded protesters. Nor even the fate of the hostages, still captive in Hamas tunnels.
Accusing Israel of genocide and putting the entire onus for stopping the war, putting all the blame for the deaths, on the Jewish state is even more astounding because Hamas — designated a terrorist organization by the US, the European Union and many other countries — is a group whose explicit goal, according to its founding charter, is not just to destroy Israel, but to kill Jews. That is the definition of genocide.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:57 am Opinion: The antisemitic lie at the heart of too many campus protests
Claims that Israel has been committing a genocide of Palestinians date to long before October 7. Yet the population of Gaza was estimated to be less than 400,000 when Israel captured the territory from Egypt in a war against multiple Arab countries in 1967. It’s now estimated at just over 2 million. Population growth of almost 600% would make it the most inept genocide in the history of the world.

What about now?

Those repeating the word genocide over and over, turning it into a mantra that penetrates the public consciousness, smearing Israel and anyone who supports it, ignore the facts of this war.

This is not an unprovoked war, like Russia’s against Ukraine. It’s not a civil war between rival militias, like the one raging in Sudan — which, by the way, is being ignored by almost everyone, even though the UN describes it as one of the “worst humanitarian crises in recent memory,” where a famine could kill 500,000 people.

No, Israel was attacked. On October 7, Hamas launched a gruesome assault on Israeli civilians, killing some 1,200 — including many women and children — and dragging hundreds of them as hostages into Gaza. Today dozens — including many women and children — remain in captivity.

Those who keep saying that Israel’s response is an act of revenge rather than the strategic, defensive war that most Israelis view as a fight for national survival against a determined enemy backed by a powerful country are deliberately distorting reality. In doing so, they are perversely evoking the same false blood lust and grotesqueness embedded in the blood libel archetype.

Hamas’ massacre, its wide-ranging sexual violence, its burning of entire families in their homes, its vow to do it again — these and other serious threats that the group poses to Israelis get ignored in the characterizations of the Israel Defense Forces as pursuing only vengeance by killing Gazan civilians.

Indeed, Hamas’ actions, which precipitated this war, don’t seem to exist in the minds of ostensibly humanitarian-minded protesters. Nor even the fate of the hostages, still captive in Hamas tunnels.
Accusing Israel of genocide and putting the entire onus for stopping the war, putting all the blame for the deaths, on the Jewish state is even more astounding because Hamas — designated a terrorist organization by the US, the European Union and many other countries — is a group whose explicit goal, according to its founding charter, is not just to destroy Israel, but to kill Jews. That is the definition of genocide.
I read that too - I think CNN had it on their site as well. Pretty good piece, it's about semantics but an important semantic. I'm sure Israel has done some things in this war that have crossed the moral line from good to not good, but I don't see this as genocide either - their goal clearly isn't to kill as many Palestinians as possible. And I agree with the piece that it's interesting that the actions of Hamas (both in the initial Oct 7 massacre, and since then, as well as their founding principles they operate by) are almost never talked about. They clearly want to kill every Israeli Jew, who they don't even see as human, and yet they get a pass in the media and are lionized in these college protests. I agree with the author, it takes a fair amount of antisemitism to get to that place.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: DELAWARE

Post by Caribbean Hen »

GannonFan wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:16 pm
I read that too - I think CNN had it on their site as well. Pretty good piece, it's about semantics but an important semantic. I'm sure Israel has done some things in this war that have crossed the moral line from good to not good, but I don't see this as genocide either - their goal clearly isn't to kill as many Palestinians as possible. And I agree with the piece that it's interesting that the actions of Hamas (both in the initial Oct 7 massacre, and since then, as well as their founding principles they operate by) are almost never talked about. They clearly want to kill every Israeli Jew, who they don't even see as human, and yet they get a pass in the media and are lionized in these college protests. I agree with the author, it takes a fair amount of antisemitism to get to that place.
Media aka 4th Estate or part of the government

I’m sure Maddow, the elitist dumbazz is telling us the truth though :(
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:28 pm

WTF are you even talking about besides taking shots at maddow and the media?

Your MO is to take shots at biden and/or the media and to insinuate that wild conspiracy theories are true without substantiation. Do you have anything else?

Questioning that "elitist dumbazz" maddow while trusting that "elitist dumbazz" trump is rich in irony.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Semantics indeed. I posted this before. There’s other similar remarks from the Israeli government. It would seem support from both sides should at least try and separate out Hamas from the people of Palestine. Christ there are 20,000 Israeli citizens who are Palestinian.

It is possible to denounce the shitty actions of BOTH sides. Political leadership from each are not doing their people any favors in the long run.

houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 2:43 pm

Semantics indeed. I posted this before. There’s other similar remarks from the Israeli government. It would seem support from both sides should at least try and separate out Hamas from the people of Palestine. Christ there are 20,000 Israeli citizens who are Palestinian.

It is possible to denounce the shitty actions of BOTH sides. Political leadership from each are not doing their people any favors in the long run.

and many of those Israeli citizens who are Palestinians are also Jewish
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:41 pm
Caribbean Hen wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:28 pm

Your MO is to take shots at biden and/or the media and to insinuate that wild conspiracy theories are true without substantiation. Do you have anything else?

Questioning that "elitist dumbazz" maddow while trusting that "elitist dumbazz" trump is rich in irony.
If I absolutely needed babysitter and there were only two choices …Trump or Biden

I would take Trump … easy

Which one would you choose?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:44 am
UNI88 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:41 pm

If I absolutely needed babysitter and there were only two choices …Trump or Biden

Given those choices, I'd skip whatever event I had and stay with my kids. I don't care if missing the event, cost me my job. I wouldn't trust either with my kids.
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:32 am
Caribbean Hen wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:44 am

Given those choices, I'd skip whatever event I had and stay with my kids. I don't care if missing the event, cost me my job. I wouldn't trust either with my kids.
Figured you wouldn’t answer and that can only mean you would pick Trump :coffee:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:35 am
UNI88 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:32 am
Figured you wouldn’t answer and that can only mean you would pick Trump :coffee:
:dunce: You not liking my answer doesn't mean I didn't answer.

If you want to force me to choose one - that I know of biden has been accused of rape by one woman, trump has been accused of rape by at least 3 and sexual assault by 23+ more. biden does have that creepy habit of sniffing women's hair but trump has made creepy comments about Ivanka and is the greater threat as a sexual predator. I'm not letting trump anywhere near my daughter.
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:40 am
Caribbean Hen wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:35 am

:dunce: You not liking my answer doesn't mean I didn't answer.

If you want to force me to choose one - that I know of biden has been accused of rape by one woman, trump has been accused of rape by at least 3 and sexual assault by 23+ more. biden does have that creepy habit of sniffing women's hair but trump has made creepy comments about Ivanka and is the greater threat as a sexual predator. I'm not letting trump anywhere near my daughter.
O m g your paternal instincts are so poor

You left out Joey Rottens showered with daughter but at least mentioned his creepy behavior around innocent children…
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Lol Biden has own goaled hinself by stopping arms ahipment to Israel (that Congress has already appropriated BYW). Someone should tell him that a lot more Jews vote democrat (or did lol) than Muslims.
https://redstate.com/nick-arama/2024/05 ... n-n2174013
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Biden in 2019 (pre dementia)

Biden Wednesday:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:10 pm Biden in 2019 (pre dementia)

Biden Wednesday:
Good. Changing your mind as situations change is a sign of wisdom. As long as it’s not just lip service and all for show…
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

kalm wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 4:55 am
BDKJMU wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:10 pm Biden in 2019 (pre dementia)

Biden Wednesday:
Good. Changing your mind as situations change is a sign of wisdom. As long as it’s not just lip service and all for show…
You can’t chance your mind when you don’t have one

The useful idiot will say whatever his Nurse Ratchet tells him to say. Imagine the psychological and physical terror there inflicting on the chosen one behind the scenes
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Contrast CA: Cops aren’t allowed to do anything for hours:

With Florida: FAFO
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Queers for Palenstine. :dunce: Would be like Jews for NAZIS. :lol: :rofl: And lol at these female commie loons shrieking with their ‘Free Free Palestine’ screams. Completely unhinged.

Hamas supporters hear police sirens and immediately try to run to their cars. Unlike the Northeast or Left Coast, FL doesn't play around.

Last edited by BDKJMU on Sun May 12, 2024 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Honestly, I’m happy living in a real Banana Republic… because if you’re going to live in one you need to have the charms that come with it.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:15 am Queer for Palenstine. :dunce: Woukd be like Jews for NAZIS. :lol: :rofl: And lol at these female commie loons shrieking with their ‘Free Free Palestine’ screams. Completely unhinged.

Hamas supporters hear police sirens and immediately try to run to their cars. Unlike the Northeast or Left Coast, FL doesn't play around.

So like MAGA for freedom?
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

100,000 in Wildwood New Jersey yesterday in support of Trump

no violence

There’s never any violence at these rallies

But MAGA is sooooo violent according to a few
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:45 am 100,000 in Wildwood New Jersey yesterday in support of Trump

no violence

What does that have to do with Israel-Palestine Drama?
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:45 am 100,000 in Wildwood New Jersey yesterday in support of Trump

no violence

bigger crowd than Bruce Springsteen :rofl:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:18 pm

no violence

Everything

If Trump gets elected Israel will be able to meet their objective without being hindered by a fucking idiot

Biden is only belaboring the whole thing and ensuring this confrontation never ends

Obama what is 100% correct when he said “don’t forget about Joe’s ability to fuck everything up”

Similar to Ukraine

He is the Jaba the Hud of the swamp
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:23 pm
UNI88 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:18 pm
Everything

If Trump gets elected Israel will be able to meet their objective without being hindered by a fucking idiot

Biden is only belaboring the whole thing and ensuring this confrontation never ends

Obama what is 100% correct when he said “don’t forget about Joe’s ability to fuck everything up”

Similar to Ukraine

He is the Jaba the Hud of the swamp
Similar to Ukraine my hairy ass. trump will throw Ukraine under the bus in the hopes that putin will give him another golden shower.