Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Culture Wars

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:26 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:04 pm
I’ll sure you’ll see similar ballpark #s for adjacent Mississippi. The 2 blackest states in America: Mississippi and Louisiana.

Now break those 13 stats down by race.
Bet you’ll find the black population of LA isn’t too far off the black population of other states.
Bet you’ll find the white population of LA isn’t too far off the black population of other states.
So you’re saying that Republican policies don’t serve black people either and there’s a lack of democracy in those states?

I agree.
Lol no.
-Look at those stats for blacks in blue states.
-Where do the majority of blacks live? In blue cities.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Caribbean Hen
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: DELAWARE

Post by Caribbean Hen »

The declaration of independence says your rights come from your creator aka god

The Pledge of Allegiance states one nation under God

In God we trust is on our money in your wallet

What Exactly is wrong with thou shall not kill
Thall shall not commit adultery
Thall shall not steal

?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:00 am The declaration of independence says your rights come from your creator aka god

Thall shall not steal

?
Are sure about the Declaration of Independence? Was the author a Christian?

How many of the Founders were Christian? Deists? Not even deists?

The First Amendment is just as clear and inviolate as the Second Amendment: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof. The US is not a Christian nation. People are free to worship whatever religion they choose or not worship if they choose. No level of government should not be pushing any religion.

I agree on the commandments. I do find it ironic that a MAQA yahoo is touting Thall shall not commit adultery and Thall shall not steal when your messiah has repeatedly violated both of these commandments.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm

MAQA - putting the Q into qrazy qanon qonspiracy theories since 2015.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

At least they’ll be accepted into heaven after dying of malnutrition.
BATON ROUGE - Gov. Jeff Landry has until the end of the day Thursday to enroll Louisiana in the USDA's summer food program, which grew out of a temporary relief system put in place during the pandemic.

It would help feed about 600,000 children in the state. Currently, there are more than 300,000 enrolled in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP, and there are another 200,000 who are food insecure, according to Feeding Louisiana.

"It provides very much-needed resources to our young people that could use a little extra help during the summer months, [specifically] when these young people are not getting lunches they would get normally through the school year," U.S. Rep. Troy Carter said.

On Friday, Landry's new DCFS Secretary, David Matlock, released a statement saying the state will reject the federal funds and instead opt to focus on more self-sufficiency.

"Every child deserves a safe home, first and foremost, and families deserve a pathway to self-sufficiency. That is our primary mission, staying focused on that mission, without adding piecemeal programs that come with more strings than long-term solutions, is what will deliver the biggest impact for the children and families we serve," Matlock said.
https://www.wbrz.com/news/lawmakers-out ... -children/
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:00 am The declaration of independence says your rights come from your creator aka god

Thall shall not steal

?
:ohno:

but that ain't how it was wrote...the phrase "under God" wasn't added until the McCarthy witch hunt in the 50s, CH. :roll:
You matter. Unless you multiply yourself by c squared. Then you energy.

"I really love America. I just don't know how to get there anymore."John Prine
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Thall shall not steal

?
Also an artifact of the McCarthy communist scare - the founding fathers motto was E Pluribus Unum.

Boy, you sho nuff is ignurnt.. :ohno:

houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 12:06 pm

Thall shall not steal

?

The First Amendment is just as clear and inviolate as the Second Amendment: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof. The US is not a Christian nation. People are free to worship whatever religion they choose or not worship if they choose. No level of government should not be pushing any religion.

I agree on the commandments. I do find it ironic that a MAQA yahoo is touting Thall shall not commit adultery and Thall shall not steal when your messiah has repeatedly violated both of these commandments.
Not to mention the 10 commandments predate Jesus by about 1,400 years.... CarribeanHen... :ohno:

Caribbean Hen
Level3
Level3

Post by Caribbean Hen »

houndawg wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 5:04 pm
UNI88 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 12:06 pm

Not to mention the 10 commandments predate Jesus by about 1,400 years.... CarribeanHen... :ohno:
Caribbean :coffee:

Hey, I’m just giving you devil worshipers somethings to latch onto

I never mentioned Jesus by name in my post either

I never knew how many people actually had JDS
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:09 am
houndawg wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 5:04 pm

Jesus knew what was up.

I have FCDS

(Faux Christian Derangement Syndrone)

The prescription is for more Jesus, less church.
Caribbean Hen
Level3
Level3

Post by Caribbean Hen »

kalm wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:16 am
Caribbean Hen wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:09 am

Jesus knew what was up.

I have FCDS

Hey I’m onboard with that
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:17 am

Jesus knew what was up.

I have FCDS

"When your State is ranked 48th in education maybe you should be posting the ABCs instead of the ten commandments." anon

houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Jesus knew what was up.

I have FCDS

"When your State is ranked 48th in education maybe you should be posting the ABCs instead of the ten commandments." anon

Caribbean Hen
Level3
Level3

Post by Caribbean Hen »

houndawg wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:36 am

My State? Puerto Rico 🇵🇷 is not a state dummy
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

The myth of rugged individualism, bootstraps, frontiersmanship, and keeping one in the oven vs the reality of what built the west and true freedom for everyone in modern times.
But that image was never based in reality. Constructed during Reconstruction after the Civil War to stand against government protection of Black rights, it was always a political narrative. In reality, the federal government provided more aid to the American West than to any other region.

Success in the American West depended as much on access to capital as it did in the American East, and western entrepreneurs struggled constantly against rich men monopolizing resources and political power, just as in the East. The wages, dangers, and upward mobility of cowboys, miners, and other western wage workers paralleled those of urban workers in the same period. Western women provided the kinship ties that facilitated trade in the region, and they—including the Ingalls girls, on whose income Pa’s family depended—worked outside the home for wages.

UCLA law professor Adam Winkler explained that “[g]uns were widespread on the frontier, but so was gun regulation.… Wild West lawmen took gun control seriously and frequently arrested people who violated their town’s gun control laws.” Political scientist Pierre Atlas noted that famous frontier town Dodge City, Kansas, prohibited guns altogether.

Modern-day Americans could embrace the cowboy myth so long as our laws addressed conditions in the real world. But as extremist lawmakers and judges have removed those guardrails by legislating around ideology rather than reality—incidentally, the very scenario true political conservatism was designed to avoid—they have ushered in conditions that are badly hurting Americans. This moment in our history feels chaotic in part because the gulf between reality and image can no longer be hidden with divisive rhetoric, and ordinary Americans are reasserting their right to laws that protect equality, community, and opportunity.

A study published yesterday in the pediatrics journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA Pediatrics) shows that the idea of returning women to roles as wives and mothers by banning abortion has, in Texas, driven infant death rates 12.9% higher. The rest of the country saw an increase of 1.8%. Infant deaths from congenital anomalies increased almost 23% in Texas while they decreased for the rest of the nation, showing that the abortion ban is forcing women to carry to term fetuses that could not survive.

When the Texas ban went into effect, Governor Greg Abbott said there was no need to make an exception for rape, because Texas was going to “eliminate all rapists from the streets of Texas.” Instead, in a study published in JAMA Internal Medicine, researchers estimated that in the 16 months after the Texas ban, 26,313 rape-related pregnancies occurred in the state.

Earlier this month, the Southern Baptist Convention voted to oppose in vitro fertilization (IVF), and today, Representative Matt Rosendale (R-MT) announced he would file an amendment to the 2025 defense appropriations bill stripping it of funding for IVF, saying “the practice of IVF is morally wrong.”

Trump advisors behind Project 2025 want to enforce the 1873 Comstock Law to ban medical abortion and contraception nationally. Yesterday the Biden-Harris campaign released a tape in which Jeff Durbin, a Trump ally who is pastor of the Apologia Church in Tempe, Arizona, and the founder and head of End Abortion Now, says that abortion is murder and those who practice it deserve execution: “You forfeit your right to live.”
https://open.substack.com/pub/heatherco ... medium=ios
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Three female GOP state senators who filibustered S.C. abortion ban lost their primaries

Casualties of the war on women.

“Those who are born and pre-born are worthy” of more protection than the people who give birth to them.

houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:56 am
Three female GOP state senators who filibustered S.C. abortion ban lost their primaries

“Those who are born and pre-born are worthy” of more protection than the people who give birth to them.
Wish I had a better feel for how they're going to break - are they really going to support Trump again :( or are they quiet because there's "nothing" wrong and everything is "fine" :)

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Aren't these God's creatures living the life that God intended for them?

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:13 pm Image

Aren't these God's creatures living the life that God intended for them?
I wouldn’t allow him around children. Or to dance in shows.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:56 am

If women have abortions the preachers won't have a choice of as many kids to molest :coffee:

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Opinion: My Tractor Supply hat was a symbol. Now it’s in the garbage
Except that the company is wrong in two ways. First of all, by assuming that bigots who threatened boycotts represent rural America. White conservatives may own the farms, but it’s people of color — many of them Latino/a of course, although in Minnesota you’ll find increasing numbers of Somali and Hmong farmers — who do the work (and are organizing more and more to acquire their own land). John Boyd Jr., founder of the National Black Farmers Association, told the Washington Post that Tractor Supply is “sending the wrong message to America.”
Second, fighting climate change shouldn’t be a partisan issue. While much of the country is battling epic levels of heat, that’s not been the case in our neck of the woods. While years of drought have made the waters hotter and shallower, which isn’t good for our northern fish, this year so far we’ve replaced drought with cool weather, endless rain and terrible flooding. Today the fish in the St. Croix might be happy, but the river is too dangerous for me to find out. And while fishing is essential to my happiness, it is at least just a hobby. An era of drought or constant rain presents a disaster for farmers. In the real world instead of right-wing social media, it’s going to be a disaster for the corporations that serve them.

My hat is already in the garbage. Once a company has made this kind of decision, it’s hard to imagine ever going back. I threw a bag of cat litter and some frozen fish guts on top then put it out on the curb. It’s gone. But let this be a lesson to the next company faced by one of these campaigns (and right-wing influencers are already gearing up for the next one): You don’t have to comply. Tractor Supply Company could have just affirmed that it supports everyone who tries to live “life out here,” while making sure that “out here” is still around as we try to pull back from this era of fire and flood.

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:18 am Opinion: My Tractor Supply hat was a symbol. Now it’s in the garbage
Except that the company is wrong in two ways. First of all, by assuming that bigots who threatened boycotts represent rural America. White conservatives may own the farms, but it’s people of color — many of them Latino/a of course, although in Minnesota you’ll find increasing numbers of Somali and Hmong farmers — who do the work (and are organizing more and more to acquire their own land). John Boyd Jr., founder of the National Black Farmers Association, told the Washington Post that Tractor Supply is “sending the wrong message to America.”
Second, fighting climate change shouldn’t be a partisan issue. While much of the country is battling epic levels of heat, that’s not been the case in our neck of the woods. While years of drought have made the waters hotter and shallower, which isn’t good for our northern fish, this year so far we’ve replaced drought with cool weather, endless rain and terrible flooding. Today the fish in the St. Croix might be happy, but the river is too dangerous for me to find out. And while fishing is essential to my happiness, it is at least just a hobby. An era of drought or constant rain presents a disaster for farmers. In the real world instead of right-wing social media, it’s going to be a disaster for the corporations that serve them.

My hat is already in the garbage. Once a company has made this kind of decision, it’s hard to imagine ever going back. I threw a bag of cat litter and some frozen fish guts on top then put it out on the curb. It’s gone. But let this be a lesson to the next company faced by one of these campaigns (and right-wing influencers are already gearing up for the next one): You don’t have to comply. Tractor Supply Company could have just affirmed that it supports everyone who tries to live “life out here,” while making sure that “out here” is still around as we try to pull back from this era of fire and flood.
Smart move by TS. Going full open borders supporting, woke BLM trans DEI CRT was killing them amongst their customer base. Go woke, go broke. For every customer they lose, they’ll gain multiple. :nod:
https://redstate.com/brandon_morse/2024 ... s-n2176074
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:18 am Opinion: My Tractor Supply hat was a symbol. Now it’s in the garbage

Diversity, equity, and inclusion sound scary and like names of old wooden ships that were used in the civil war era.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Here Come The Public School Closures: Book Censorship News, June 21, 2024
In one of the first guides to fighting book bans and censorship I wrote back in 2021, I emphasized that book banning was but one arm of a multi-tentacle approach to dismantling public education and public libraries. Book banning is part of the path being paved by groups like Moms For Liberty and No Left Turn in Education, whose missions are to fulfill the goals laid out by right-wing institutions like The Heritage Foundation (the same one as Project 2025*).

Among the goals of groups like The Heritage Foundation are the destruction of the Department of Education. DeVos being named the Secretary of the department during the last administration was a strategic decision that began to destabilize it. Additional goals include the privatization of all public goods—if it can be made profitable, it will be—and, more specifically, a push toward private and homeschool education based on the Advanced Training Institute teachings, accompanied by state level for voucher programs. Those voucher programs help subsidize private and homeschool options by funneling tax money away from public schools and into those alternate education options. The result is that public schools lose more and more money. Their budgets are unpredictable year to year because they cannot rely on a stable pool of tax money. Schools then have access to fewer and fewer resources and students whose parents don’t have the money or time for alternate ideas lose out. Vouchers often do not cover the entire cost of any private school nor any pricey homeschool curriculum—you’d have to be wealthy enough to not need to work full time in order to educate students at home or even in a local homeschool pod. It is primarily those who already have the means of sending their children to private schools who benefit from the vouchers.

A key word here is access. It’s the same idea behind book bans. The few are taking access away from the whole in the name of their own beliefs becoming the only acceptable ones.
Iowa Starting Line’s reporting on the potential closure of Orient-Macksburg Public Schools is must-read material. The southwestern Iowa school district is small, but predicting enrollment rates has become increasingly difficult for them and other schools in the state because of the governor’s new open enrollment laws, as well as a new statewide voucher program. With open enrollment, which isn’t an uncommon educational option in the US, students can enroll at any public school district in the state where they live. Iowa’s new policies on open enrollment, however, mean that this can happen at any time, as opposed to during a specific period of time. If a student wants to leave their current district and go to another one, they do not need to wait or make a decision at a particular point during the year. The districts where students are leaving pay the new district the per pupil fee.
Iowa’s statewide voucher program launched in the 2023-2024 school year. It provides families with a per pupil stipend to attend the school of their choice; it’s the same amount of money that a district a student leaves via open enrollment would need to send to their new district of enrollment. But—and this will come as a shock—the vast majority of those who took vouchers in its first year, two out of three, were already enrolled in private schools. Their parents were already wealthy enough to send them to private schools; the vouchers were a scheme that allowed them to avoid paying taxes to the districts where they already lived.
And yet, one of the most common refrains in book banning rhetoric is the notion of “local control.” Those claiming a lack of parental rights want to be able to be in charge of what materials are available to students on a district-by-district, if not school-by-school, basis. This is a clever way to make discriminatory arguments, as “local control” can be wielded in discussions that uphold white supremacy through language like “traditional values” and/or “traditional education.” But the story of Orient-Macksburg and schools like it is actually one of local-level concern. What happens when the local public school is no longer there? What options do those without the financial means, let alone available time, do when they can no longer walk their children to school? When the best option is a pricey private school in their community that, despite a $7600 voucher, hardly covers half the tuition?

The dissolution of public institutions like schools, like this one in small-town Iowa, is about access.

It’s a chilling realization that Orient-Macksburg is but the first Iowa district to be dissolved under the myriad anti-public good legislation in the state. Students, no matter how small a town they live in, no matter how economically challenged a town they live in, deserve taxpayer-funded public institutions to help educate them. In Iowa, consolidation, as imperfect as it is, is an option and has been used for decades to help small schools stay solvent.

As has been made very clear here, it’s not the poor kids who are benefitting from these new laws. It’s the rich kids and the kids whose parents have no problem affording pricey private institutions or who have the time and means to indoctrinate them with white Christian nationalism educate at home. Parents have always had the right to choose where and how their students are educated. They have not—and should not—have the right to decide how that impacts other students.

Iowa, under the current leader, has failed its future in the name of “parental rights.” It has failed every student who doesn’t fall neatly under the cishet white Christian ideal not only through such fractioning of public education. It’s also done so through bills like Senate Bill 496—the book ban bill currently on hold as it is being heard in the court—as well as changes to labor laws that allow children as young as 16 to operate dangerous machinery and work in demolition jobs (restrictions that exist on the federal level). It’s also allowing children as young as 14 to be permitted to drive to work and school beyond prior distance limits.

Where 16 and 17-year-olds are labeled “children” when it comes to the books that might be sitting on shelves in their school and public libraries, it’s perfectly appropriate for them to be given dangerous, federally outlawed responsibilities at work because they’re believed to be mature enough.
It won’t be the children of the politicians destroying public school who will be driving an hour to school when they’re 14, nor will it be their children killed while working around heavy machinery. It’s not their kids who have lost their local schools. This is the future they’re not only dreaming of. It’s the one they’re creating in Iowa and in dozens of other states nationwide.
I'd be interested in clenz and fivers' personal experience on what's happening in Iowa.

As an Iowan watching from afar, I'm disappointed in what the state has become and I'm concerned about where it and the nation are going. Iowa used to be a conservative state that valued public education and wasn't afraid to buck national trends. I remember Senator Grassley sparring with President Reagan, now he sucks up to trump.

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:43 am
Smart move by TS. Going full open borders supporting, woke BLM trans DEI CRT was killing them amongst their customer base. Go woke, go broke. For every customer they lose, they’ll gain multiple. :nod:
https://redstate.com/brandon_morse/2024 ... s-n2176074
Tractor Supply Company could have just affirmed that it supports everyone who tries to live “life out here,” while making sure that “out here” is still around as we try to pull back from this era of fire and flood.
It isn't a binary decision. The people that want you to believe that it is are trying to control you.