Football Championship Subdivision discussions
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Big Sky Power Rankings 9-2

Post by JALMOND »

The first full week of college football and the Big Sky put everyone on notice that they will give anyone a tough game, whether you are a top 5 FBS program or a fledging NAIA Independent. The conference got one FBS scalp and could have had maybe 2-3 more, highlighted by Idaho's impressive performance at the mighty Oregon team. Time will tell just how good these performances were, but for now, they look really awesome. Some minor changes in the power rankings but top to bottom, this conference is ready. Here are this week's power rankings in the conference (last week in parenthesis). All are my opinion only. I'm eager to see what happens this week.

1. Montana State (2)---Last week, won at New Mexico (FBS Mtn West) 35-31, won at Utah Tech (FCS United) 31-7, this week, Maine (FCS CAA)at home---The Bobcats came out with a bit of a whimper before catching fire late and securing both an FBS scalp and a strong FCS road win. An opponent from the East comes calling this week.

2. Montana (1)---Last week, beat Missouri State (FCS Missouri Valley) at home 29-24, this week at North Dakota (FCS Missouri Valley)---The Grizzlies will have some growing pains as they search out their new quarterback and a good strong win over a Missouri Valley foe will go far. They stay in the Missouri Valley this week, on the road this time.

3. Idaho (3)---Last week lost at Oregon (FBS Big 10) 24-14, this week at Wyoming (FBS Mtn West)---The Vandals went into literally hostile territory last week and almost escape with a win over a team that does not take the FCS (and the Big Sky) lightly. They have another FBS game this week, this time against the Mountain West.

4. UC Davis (4)---Last week, lost at California (FBS ACC) 31-13, this week Texas-A&M Commerce (FCS Southland)---The Aggies put up the valiant fight against their bigger Bay Area brothers, staying even in the first half before finally succumbing as the game went on. Their first home game this year against the Southland conference.

5. Sacramento State (5)---Last week lost at San Jose State (FBS Mtn West) 42-24, this week at Fresno State (FBS Mtn West)---The Hornets had the scalp. It was right there in their hands. But the game is 60 minutes long, not 45, and the scalp escaped from them. They get another opportunity this week in the Mountain West.

6. Eastern Washington (7)---Last week, beat Monmouth (FCS CAA) at home 42-27, this week Drake (FCS Pioneer) at home---The Eagles flexed their wings last week a put away a CAA team early on in the game at home. They stay at home this week, bringing in a non-scholly team from the Pioneer conference for another game.

7. Weber State (6)---Last week, lost at Washington (FBS Big 10) 35-3, this week Portland State at home---The Wildcats may have been looking for a better performance last week, but going against a new member of a big FBS conference that doesn't want a letdown proved too much. They start conference play at home this week.

8. Northern Arizona (9)---Last week, beat Lincoln CA (NAIA Independent) 66-6, this week at Arizona (FBS Big 12)---As most teams played up or level in their schedule, the Lumberjacks played down and still got a good win. Things will be much different this weekend as they go on the road to their big FBS brothers to the south.

9 Portland State (8)---Last week, lost at Washington State (FBS Pac-12) 70-30, this week at Weber State---A disappointing showing for the Vikings given how the rest of the conference looked. No one expected them to get a win, but given the outcomes around the conference, they needed a better showing. Conference play starts this week.

10. Idaho State (11)---Last week, lost at Oregon State (FBS Pac-12) 38-15, this week Western Oregon (DII) at home---With no one expecting much from the Bengals, they quietly executed a game plan and stayed close to the FBS last week until the end. They stay home this week and bring in a lower division foe.

11. Northern Colorado (10)---Last week lost at Incarnate Word (FCS Southland) 28-7, this week at Colorado State (FBS Mtn West)---The Bears had some good moments on the road against a strong Southland opponent but could not consistently get in the end zone. Things get tough this week as they make the short drive to their big brothers.

12. Cal Poly (12)---Last week lost at San Diego (FCS Pioneer) 27-21, this week at Stanford (FBS ACC)---Everyone looked good last week except for the Mustangs who should have been able to get a win over a non-scholly program. They won't get much of a reprieve this weekend as they move up to the FBS for a tough road game.

RECAP: 1-3 out front, 4-5 just a little bit behind, 6-10 waiting , 11 keeping up, 12 falling off.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: Big Sky Power Rankings 9-2

Post by SuperHornet »

Actually, JAL, Lincoln is not a member of EITHER the NCAA OR the NAIA. They'd like to be, but they haven't convinced the powers that be to let them in yet. I'm surprised they're getting the games they're getting. USA Today published an article back in FEB 24 criticizing them for how they operate, and it goes way beyond their barnstorming nature caused by the lack of a home stadium. They have no trainers at practice, housing is overcrowded, and players are making due with food stamps. Basketball coach Gary Payton is dipping into his own pocket for uniforms, shoes, and road trip food. Football players live in a warehouse owned by the HC's family. Players are paying rent to the coaching staff, NOT the school. They practice at a juco soccer field with no goalposts. They have an RB who bombed out of North Dakota and was rebuffed by SW Missouri State because of sexual assault allegations and another guy who ran out of NCAA eligibility. But they are seen by the NCAA as a "countable opponent" because they're academically accredited. One guy left Lincoln to transfer to Sac, but had to sit out a year because his Lincoln credits failed to transfer. I had no idea they were THIS cray-cray....

Not intended to smack you, JAL. I didn't know this stuff either. I was originally looking at it from the "does blowing teams out by this much ever week really benefit you" perspective....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2 ... 320308007/

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

That said, your rankings seem about right. My only question would be does EWU beating Monmouth trump BBQ's loss to Washington, now in one of several FBS leagues that have forgotten how to count....

And can we call P12-14 a gap and call Cow Poly P15? That's about how much they impressed me this week.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

SuperHornet wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 6:18 pm That said, your rankings seem about right. My only question would be does EWU beating Monmouth trump BBQ's loss to Washington, now in one of several FBS leagues that have forgotten how to count....

And can we call P12-14 a gap and call Cow Poly P15? That's about how much they impressed me this week.
Monmouth looked legit with good size and athleticism but I think they’re a middle of the road CAA at best.

We’ll likely get some votes assuming wins against Drake and SELA and maybe even head into the Griz game ranked at 3-1. But after that it’s brutal. UM, SAC, Davis, Idaho, MSU.

Until we start holding teams to 400 yards or less I’m still going with 6-6.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

SuperHornet wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 6:15 pm Actually, JAL, Lincoln is not a member of EITHER the NCAA OR the NAIA. They'd like to be, but they haven't convinced the powers that be to let them in yet. I'm surprised they're getting the games they're getting. USA Today published an article back in FEB 24 criticizing them for how they operate, and it goes way beyond their barnstorming nature caused by the lack of a home stadium. They have no trainers at practice, housing is overcrowded, and players are making due with food stamps. Basketball coach Gary Payton is dipping into his own pocket for uniforms, shoes, and road trip food. Football players live in a warehouse owned by the HC's family. Players are paying rent to the coaching staff, NOT the school. They practice at a juco soccer field with no goalposts. They have an RB who bombed out of North Dakota and was rebuffed by SW Missouri State because of sexual assault allegations and another guy who ran out of NCAA eligibility. But they are seen by the NCAA as a "countable opponent" because they're academically accredited. One guy left Lincoln to transfer to Sac, but had to sit out a year because his Lincoln credits failed to transfer. I had no idea they were THIS cray-cray....

Not intended to smack you, JAL. I didn't know this stuff either. I was originally looking at it from the "does blowing teams out by this much ever week really benefit you" perspective....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2 ... 320308007/
Surprising that they are not NAIA. Speaking as an alum of an NAIA school (Rocky Mountain College), it seemed in the past that the NAIA would take anyone if they were accredited and were able to pay the dues. When Portland State played them two years ago, it was said then that they were NAIA, so I just went with it.