...::::THE GREAT WEST SHOULD DISBAND: Heres The Plan::::...

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

...::::THE GREAT WEST SHOULD DISBAND: Heres The Plan::::...

Post by BlackFalkin »

The GREAT WEST has 5 teams: CalPoly, UCDavis, So.Utah, & the Dakotas...

The CAA will have 14 teams in a few years & the Southland Conference will add Lamar & USA in a few years. Now The Big Sky is sitting at 9 teams, back in the day, 8 teams was perfect but the FCS is changing before our eyes & 9 teams is NOT ENOUGH.

Big Sky Coastal
Eastern Washington
Portland State
Sacramento State
Cal Poly
UC Davis
Southern Utah

Big Sky Mountain
Montana
Montana State
Weber State
Northern Arizona
Northern Colorado
Idaho State

SUUTBIRD, I was wrong, I admit that I WAS WRONG. Its time to step it up, and the Big Sky is not gonna be taken seriously untill they do this! 12 teams split down the middle. EVERY team can draw except SUU and maybe theyll step it up themselves. Each Mountain & Coastal each have theyre good & cupcake teams.. ITS PERFECT. All the GWC teams now get a decent shot at the title, meanwhile we get AT LEAST 3 teams in a year!

The MVFC should take ND, SD, & Savannah state. This move would cut down on travel costs BIG TIME for ND & SD, not to mention giving each 3 IN STATE CONF MATES. If mvfc doesnt want SSU, the southland should take them in.... SSU, USA & Lamar makes 12 teams! ODU is going to the CAA & NCCU to the MEAC, SSU might as well get out. Join the southland for the love of Jeff. Maybe. Maybe not, still something to think about bc the FCS is always changing.
Last edited by BlackFalkin on Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
native
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Weber State

Re: The Great West Should Disband: Heres The Plan...

Post by native »

Interesting idea!
Proud Prince of Purple Pomposity
YT is not a communist. He's just a ...young pup.
ToTheLeft
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Liberty University

Re: ...::::THE GREAT WEST SHOULD DISBAND: Heres The Plan::::...

Post by ToTheLeft »

The Coastal would be a solid division. Looks like a good idea to me.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

What possible incentive is there for an FCS conference to have 2 divisions?
ToTheLeft
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Liberty University

Post by ToTheLeft »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:What possible incentive is there for an FCS conference to have 2 divisions?
You can have a Heritage Bowl. :thumb:
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Big Sky should disband and join the Great West.

"Big Sky" is pretty Montana-centric, right?
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
MrTitleist
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by MrTitleist »

Montana should move up.....

....wait, sorry, this isn't eGriz. Carry on.
ImageImageImageImageImage
PhoenixSupreme
I am a fan of: Elon and VCU and stuff

Post by PhoenixSupreme »

I like the divisions. The one main critique I would have from this is that there would not be a round-robin schedule anymore, which tends to diminish the meaning of having the best conference record a bit.
VCU Football--Undefeated Since 1975
FargoBison
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by FargoBison »

The MVFC is happy at 9 teams. Unless of course NDSU moves on to the MAC ;) :lol:

As for Savannah State joining the MVFC..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

There is a conference out east that also starts with an M and ends with a C that they should probably join.
CatMom
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Texas St & Tight Ends
A.K.A.: CatMILF

Post by CatMom »

The SLC adds Lamar in 2011 and UTSA in 2012 (I think) that will take the SLC to 10 teams. However, TXST (unfortunately) is awaiting the moratorium to end to make a bid for FBS and UTSA has no intentions of staying FCS for very long.
I, personally, don't like the idea of going FBS but I have no control or say. UTSA has every intention of going up asap. This may or may not happen for another 5, 6, 7 years but someone will be leaving.
As for SUU going SLC...not. It's already a long road trip as a 1 time OOC game, for them or any SLC team. I think it would be really tough on SUU to have to travel that much for 4-5 away games. Not feasible or logical IMHO. From TXST to SUU is like 1300 miles. It would be another 480 to Nicholls (our second furthest away game)

It may look good on paper but I don't think many FCS schools have that kind of travel allowances in their budgets
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Debated ad nauseum. No "football only" schools will be allowed into the BSC.

End of discussion.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3

Post by BlackFalkin »

CatMom wrote:The SLC adds Lamar in 2011 and UTSA in 2012 (I think) that will take the SLC to 10 teams. However, TXST (unfortunately) is awaiting the moratorium to end to make a bid for FBS and UTSA has no intentions of staying FCS for very long.
I, personally, don't like the idea of going FBS but I have no control or say. UTSA has every intention of going up asap. This may or may not happen for another 5, 6, 7 years but someone will be leaving.
As for SUU going SLC...not. It's already a long road trip as a 1 time OOC game, for them or any SLC team. I think it would be really tough on SUU to have to travel that much for 4-5 away games. Not feasible or logical IMHO. From TXST to SUU is like 1300 miles. It would be another 480 to Nicholls (our second furthest away game)

It may look good on paper but I don't think many FCS schools have that kind of travel allowances in their budgets
not suu, I meant SSU... savannah state.
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3

Post by BlackFalkin »

AZGrizFan wrote:Debated ad nauseum. No "football only" schools will be allowed into the BSC.
End of discussion.
Cal poly & UCDavis should bring their teams to the Sky. Not hard at all. :coffee:
Green Laser
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Sacramento State
A.K.A.: Green Laser

Post by Green Laser »

BlackFalkin wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:Debated ad nauseum. No "football only" schools will be allowed into the BSC.
End of discussion.
Cal poly & UCDavis should bring their teams to the Sky. Not hard at all. :coffee:

Impossible unless Poly and davis leave the Big West, which they refuse to do.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Green Laser wrote:
BlackFalkin wrote:

And why would they? They don't even have to leave the state to play a conference game.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

I like north-south better.

Um
Msu
Ewu
Psu
Wsu
Isu
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Green Laser wrote:
BlackFalkin wrote:

Welcome Green Laser!
:thumb:
Tailbone

Post by Tailbone »

BlackFalkin wrote:........ the Big Sky is not gonna be taken seriously untill they do this! 12 teams split down the middle. ......
BF, you nailed it.

I don't particularly like the idea of a large conference but look at the results, the CAA is a perfect example.
Half the teams beat-up on the other half. The top half get their losses against each other and the bottom half gets their wins against each other.
This artificially raises the perception of conference power (that's not to imply that they aren't good teams - but does, IMO, skew the perception).

There have been years in the past that an expanded conference might have made more noise in the play-offs by virtue of greater conference participation. The 2006 PSU Vikes comes to mind and there is no telling how Weber would have done last year against the field if not eliminated by eventual NC runner-up Montana. NAU, EWU, and MSU have shown that (in previous outings) they can compete with other conferences at the highest level (McNeese, SIU, APP, UNI).

The only problem with this (CAA model)scenario is that there are few western FBS teams that could be scheduled to achieve the kind of results the CAA gets against the FBS (can you say Ball state? ....or any MAC team really).

Still, the new western conf. would have better play-off results by virtue of more participants.
Green Cookie Monster
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Sacramento State

Post by Green Cookie Monster »

UC just raised tuition 32% as of yesterday. davis only offers 56 scholarships now, with a 32% increase they will be scrapping hard and trying to save every nickel. They wont join the BSC bc their other teams would have to travel far distances (basketball, soccer, VB, etc.). Travel would be through the roof for non-revenue sports.

Will never happen at the FCS level.

SJSU and Nevada will have their state budgets cut again next year, along with Fresno to a degree. Both the state's of California and Nevada are on the verge of financial collapse. Sac State is safe bc they just raised student fees again and the department is close to being self sufficient, so no fear of elimination. Same for Poly.

Better idea....

SJSU
Nevada
Sacramento
UC davis
Portland St.
Cal Poly
Utah St.
NM St.
NAU

All above schools average 10K fans or more for football and are regionally based.

San Diego State is in the same boat, they just canned their AD for financial misrepresentations, their football program is floundering heavily and they pull from the same $$ coffer. They may be a candidate in the future also as their Qualcomm stadium deal is coming to a close and they have no school owned football facility.
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3

Post by BlackFalkin »

x
Last edited by BlackFalkin on Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3

Post by BlackFalkin »

Green Cookie Monster wrote:They may be a candidate in the future also as their Qualcomm stadium deal is coming to a close and they have no school owned football facility.
The San Diego State football team has signed a new deal with the city to continue playing at Qualcomm Stadium for the next 10 seasons.

http://www.thedailyaztec.com/city/aztec ... -1.1816140
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

I agree with AZGrizFan, make them join in all BSC sports or not at all. I don’t think it would be fair to the schools (Sac State, NAU and others on the geographical outer fringes of the conference) if they had to pony up the money to send all their athletes for BSC sports while some schools would only have to send their football team. Also I don’t see the cal poly and “the farm extension” administration EVER fronting the money to send all their athletes to participate in full bore BSC sports. They seem just happy in the bus league Big West for all their non-football sports as it’s the cheapest alternative.

And I do like the idea BF, but like someone mentioned, what’s the point of having them all in one big conference if not everyone plays each other? Either way, good topic.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

BlackFalkin wrote:
Green Cookie Monster wrote:They may be a candidate in the future also as their Qualcomm stadium deal is coming to a close and they have no school owned football facility.
The San Diego State football team has signed a new deal with the city to continue playing at Qualcomm Stadium for the next 10 seasons.

http://www.thedailyaztec.com/city/aztec ... -1.1816140
Yeah the Aztecs just renewed the lease this season. However this is not a sustainable option for them. This is a great example of poor facility management by SDSU administrators. Long ago they had the land to put up a stadium, but I think they built dorms instead. I think the concern here (speaking as a San Diego resident) is what will happen to the Q when the Chargers somehow find a new stadium. The Q is a huge financial strain on the city budget and as a city tax payer, I wouldn’t mind seeing is demolished when the Chargers do finally move out. This would leave the Aztecs out in the cold.
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3

Post by BlackFalkin »

SDHornet wrote: Yeah the Aztecs just renewed the lease this season. However this is not a sustainable option for them. This is a great example of poor facility management by SDSU administrators. Long ago they had the land to put up a stadium, but I think they built dorms instead. I think the concern here (speaking as a San Diego resident) is what will happen to the Q when the Chargers somehow find a new stadium. The Q is a huge financial strain on the city budget and as a city tax payer, I wouldn’t mind seeing is demolished when the Chargers do finally move out. This would leave the Aztecs out in the cold.
I agree, the chargers dont want to be in qualcomm anymore, sdsu only averages 24k/game, the city of SD should demolish it. SDSU is paying 95k/game to use the facility!
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

SDHornet wrote:I agree with AZGrizFan, make them join in all BSC sports or not at all. I don’t think it would be fair to the schools (Sac State, NAU and others on the geographical outer fringes of the conference) if they had to pony up the money to send all their athletes for BSC sports while some schools would only have to send their football team. Also I don’t see the cal poly and “the farm extension” administration EVER fronting the money to send all their athletes to participate in full bore BSC sports. They seem just happy in the bus league Big West for all their non-football sports as it’s the cheapest alternative.

And I do like the idea BF, but like someone mentioned, what’s the point of having them all in one big conference if not everyone plays each other? Either way, good topic.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Don't go putting words in my mouth. I would take Cal Poly and UC Davis in a HEARTBEAT as football-only members of the Sky. It's the SKY that won't take football only members. I don't give a shit about "fair".
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12