Football Championship Subdivision discussions
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Big Sky Predictions 11-21

Post by JALMOND »

With Portland State done and the athletic department getting ready for next year already, some teams are still trying to settle this year. Still one more week left and this week has two games between conference foes that could decide playoff possibilities (also one game that may help the playoffs, too). Currently, I sit at 49-10 for the year with one more week left. This week's predictions here. All are my opinion and all are open for discussion. Here they are...

EWU @ NAU---The Eagles are trying to close the year on a positive note, thinking that a four game winning streak and the ban removed will be enough for them to make the playoffs. The Jacks are just playing for pride, having their playoff bubble pop last week in the snow at Weber State. The Eagles obviously have more at stake than the Jacks, but sometimes pride can be enough...NAU 30, EWU 28.

UC-Davis @ Sac State---Face it, for two non-conference teams, these two do not like each other. UC-Davis has clinched the Great West title and the Hornets have had a good Big Sky conference season, but no one really cares about how well the other team has done. Truth is, the Great West is down, even for Great West standards and the Hornets have actually been competitive in the Big Sky this year...Sac State 31, UC-Davis 21.

Cal Poly @ WSU---Last year this game was the first round of the playoffs, but what a difference a year makes. Cal Poly is not going anywhere, while the Wildcats are clinging desperately to a possible playoff berth. The Wildcats want to move on, but they may need some help from the committee to do that. They'll get some help here...WSU 38, Cal Poly 20.

and the biggie for all the marbles...

UM @ MSU---Call it whatever you want, but this game is huge for both teams in different ways. For the Grizzlies who have clinched a spot in the playoff with the conference auto-bid, a win would keep the Bobcats from reaching the necessary number of wins and would possibly clinch a seed in the playoffs. For the Bobcats, it is thought that a win over the Grizzlies would be enough to send the Bobcats to the playoffs. Much on the line in Montana, but really these two do not need much to get up for each other. Which way to go...MSU 15, UM 10.

Should be a good week. Two teams in, Bobcats and Grizzlies.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: Big Sky Predictions 11-21

Post by SuperHornet »

Sacred City 38-10.

EWU 24-6.

Fassels 24-12.

Griz 45-3.

Griz and Fassels in the playoffs, with EWU as a possibility. Nobody's going to even consider the Kitties after the Griz get done with them. They're coming out p!$$ed after that ISU debacle.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

EWU 38-27 NAU — The 'Jacks will actually avoid going 6-5 for once.

Montana 24-13 Montana St. — The Bobcat passing game just isn't good enough to win this.

UC Davis 35-28 Sac State — A toss-up, but the Ags have momentum.

Cal Poly 21-38 WeberThe 'Stangs are in too bad of a slump to pull off this upset.
weberwildcat
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: WEEber State
A.K.A.: WeberHoops.com

Post by weberwildcat »

Sacred City 28-21.

NAU 38-35 - i dont know if i can believe that nau could lose 4 in a row after such a great start. they did it last yr but this yr's team is better. and last yr it was 4 conf games this yr there's an FBS in the middle of it.

Grillz 35-24.

Griz 21-17 - though MSU has won 2 of the last 3 in Bozeman against UM
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

I'm still 2 games back from Jalmond at 47-12, but could either tie him or take the lead in the final week with 4 good games on the slate.

EWU 45-35 NAU — EWU is coming into Flagstaff piping-hot with 3-straight wins, while the Jacks are coming in freezing-cold after getting buried 27-9 by Weber State in a blizzard, capping a 3-game road losing streak. Pride vs. Playoffs, one thing is for certain; lots of points will be scored.

Montana 28-20 Montana St. — Brawl of the Wild... with playoff implications. The Bobcats would be in the running for an at-large bid with a win over a top-5 team. The Griz might have already wrapped up the auto-bid, but need a win to secure home-field advantage throughout the playoffs. Bobcats play tough, but the Griz will play tougher.

UC Davis 31-17 Sac State — Birds and the Bees. err, Aggies and Hornets. Rivals by proximity. Defense will be the difference, as the Hornets are ranked almost at the bottom of the FCS (114th) in total defense, with the Aggies at 54th.

Cal Poly 13-35 Weber State — A blizzard might have had an effect on the Wildcats’ passing game last week, but with Trevyn Smith, it didn’t matter. They rode him in the second half and cruised to a 27-9 victory over NAU. The Mustangs of SLO will stampede in and hope to parade out with a win, but will the forecasted snow impact the game? Will Weber State keep their post-season hopes alive with a win? Will it matter?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:I'm still 2 games back from Jalmond at 47-12, but could either tie him or take the lead in the final week with 4 good games on the slate.

EWU 45-35 NAU — EWU is coming into Flagstaff piping-hot with 3-straight wins, while the Jacks are coming in freezing-cold after getting buried 27-9 by Weber State in a blizzard, capping a 3-game road losing streak. Pride vs. Playoffs, one thing is for certain; lots of points will be scored.

Montana 28-20 Montana St. — Brawl of the Wild... with playoff implications. The Bobcats would be in the running for an at-large bid with a win over a top-5 team. The Griz might have already wrapped up the auto-bid, but need a win to secure home-field advantage throughout the playoffs. Bobcats play tough, but the Griz will play tougher.

UC Davis 31-17 Sac State — Birds and the Bees. err, Aggies and Hornets. Rivals by proximity. Defense will be the difference, as the Hornets are ranked almost at the bottom of the FCS (114th) in total defense, with the Aggies at 54th.

Cal Poly 13-35 Weber State — A blizzard might have had an effect on the Wildcats’ passing game last week, but with Trevyn Smith, it didn’t matter. They rode him in the second half and cruised to a 27-9 victory over NAU. The Mustangs of SLO will stampede in and hope to parade out with a win, but will the forecasted snow impact the game? Will Weber State keep their post-season hopes alive with a win? Will it matter?
Right on the money, 174. JALMOND is smokin' CRACK with his picks. :ohno: :ohno:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

AZGrizFan wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:I'm still 2 games back from Jalmond at 47-12, but could either tie him or take the lead in the final week with 4 good games on the slate.

I wouldn't say all of his picks... I think UM/MSU and NAU/EWU will be close, but I don't see how he has Sac State picked to beat the Aggies. The Hornets have been playing extremely well on offense, especially against weaker defenses (NAU is 94th, UNC is 83rd), but their defense can't stop shit. Davis has been playing great the last few weeks too, after dropping the ball against SUU.
native
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Weber State

Post by native »

Montana has cinched the Conference title and is fighting for a top four seed, and three teams from America's second most powerful conference are still vying for an at-large bid to the post season: Montana State, Eastern Washington, and Weber State.

The final games of the regular season will determine which team gets that second playoff bid. Here are my predictions:

Montana 27 at Montana State 24: Bobcats play their best game of the season but come up short.

Cal Poly 14 at Weber State 27: For the second week in a row, weather plays a role in another Wildcat victory.

UC Davis 31 at Sacramento State 27: The Great West Conference Champs take this one in a good game.

Eastern Washington 28 at Northern Arizona 27: The Lumberjacks put up a fight but the Eagles prevail.
Proud Prince of Purple Pomposity
YT is not a communist. He's just a ...young pup.
cats2506
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: MSU Bobcats

Post by cats2506 »

JALMOND going to go 4-0 this week :thumb:
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

cats2506 wrote:JALMOND going to go 4-0 this week :thumb:
2-2 at best. He won't be 4-0. :coffee:
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

Of the ranked BSC games, TSN tends to agree with me.
http://sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform. ... s_kahn.htm

MONTANA 35, MONTANA STATE 31
WEBER STATE 31, CAL POLY 28
EASTERN WASHINGTON 41, NORTHERN ARIZONA 28
No. 18 Eastern Washington (7-3, 5-2) at Northern Arizona (5-5, 4-3), 5:05 p.m.

Eastern Washington can do wonders to secure an at-large playoff berth with a win over Northern Arizona.

The Eagles have won three straight games to hang on to their playoff hopes, including a 41-28 win over Southern Utah. EWU has played one of the tougher schedules in FCS this season, but fell to the two teams (Montana and Weber State) ahead of the Eagles in the Big Sky. The Eagles have made the playoffs in four of the last six seasons.

EWU's fifth-ranked offense racked up a whopping 608 yards against Southern Utah, with 455 yards coming from Payton Award nominated quarterback Matt Nichols (2,961 yards passing, 27 combined TDs), who broke the all-time BSC total offense record with 12,440 yards. Nichols also accounted for five touchdowns.

Wide receiver Tony Davis (60 catches, 11.7 average) and tight end Nathan Overbay (41 catches, 11.2 average, 11 TDs) lead an impressive Eastern Washington receiving corps.

Running back Taiwan Jones (980 yards rushing, 13 TDs) ranks 14th nationally in rushing for the Eagles and anchors their rushing attack.

Buchanan Award nominated linebacker J.C. Sherritt (139 tackles, 11 tackles for loss) leads a less than stellar EWU defense that ranks 94th in FCS. Sherritt is joined on the unit by strong safety Matt Johnson (73 tackles, six interceptions).

Northern Arizona has lost its last three games after winning four straight to climb into TSN's top-25.

Quarterback Michael Herrick has been one of the country's top passers (2,782 yards passing, 18 TDs), but he slowed down by a snow storm in a 27-9 loss to Weber State, completing just six-of-25 passes for 66 yards. Leading receiver Ed Berry (63 catches, 14.0 average, five TDs) was held to a season- low one catch for six yards.

Defensively, NAU has surrendered 82 points in the past three games and ranks 94th in FCS. Safety Matt Estrada (78 tackles) and defensive end Isaac Bond (42 tackles, 8.5 tackles for loss) anchor the unit.

EWU has won the previous two meetings against the Lumberjacks, including a 28-13 win last season. The Eagles are catching NAU at a good time and should capture its third eight win season in the last four years.

EASTERN WASHINGTON 41, NORTHERN ARIZONA 28
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern Washington

Post by EWURanger »

JALMOND wrote:With Portland State done and the athletic department getting ready for next year already, some teams are still trying to settle this year. Still one more week left and this week has two games between conference foes that could decide playoff possibilities (also one game that may help the playoffs, too). Currently, I sit at 49-10 for the year with one more week left. This week's predictions here. All are my opinion and all are open for discussion. Here they are...

EWU @ NAU---The Eagles are trying to close the year on a positive note, thinking that a four game winning streak and the ban removed will be enough for them to make the playoffs. The Jacks are just playing for pride, having their playoff bubble pop last week in the snow at Weber State. The Eagles obviously have more at stake than the Jacks, but sometimes pride can be enough...NAU 30, EWU 28.

UC-Davis @ Sac State---Face it, for two non-conference teams, these two do not like each other. UC-Davis has clinched the Great West title and the Hornets have had a good Big Sky conference season, but no one really cares about how well the other team has done. Truth is, the Great West is down, even for Great West standards and the Hornets have actually been competitive in the Big Sky this year...Sac State 31, UC-Davis 21.

Cal Poly @ WSU---Last year this game was the first round of the playoffs, but what a difference a year makes. Cal Poly is not going anywhere, while the Wildcats are clinging desperately to a possible playoff berth. The Wildcats want to move on, but they may need some help from the committee to do that. They'll get some help here...WSU 38, Cal Poly 20.

UM @ MSU---Call it whatever you want, but this game is huge for both teams in different ways. For the Grizzlies who have clinched a spot in the playoff with the conference auto-bid, a win would keep the Bobcats from reaching the necessary number of wins and would possibly clinch a seed in the playoffs. For the Bobcats, it is thought that a win over the Grizzlies would be enough to send the Bobcats to the playoffs. Much on the line in Montana, but really these two do not need much to get up for each other. Which way to go...MSU 15, UM 10.

:thumbdown:

EWU @ NAU - EWU 35, NAU 31
UC-Davis @ Sac - SAC 28, UC-Davis 24
Cal-Poly @ Weber - WSU 31, Poly 14
Montana @ MSU - UM 35, MSU 21
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Geez, all the hostilities. :nod:

I said at the beginning of the year that the Grizzlies toughest game all year was going to be the Cat game. They had their two "tough" games at home (EWU, WSU) and have not really been too spectacular on the road (UC-Davis 17-10, NAU 41-34 in OT, ISU 12-10). Bobcats are much better than those teams and the game is in Bozeman. I'll stand by my picks. :nod:
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

JALMOND wrote:Geez, all the hostilities. :nod:

I said at the beginning of the year that the Grizzlies toughest game all year was going to be the Cat game. They had their two "tough" games at home (EWU, WSU) and have not really been too spectacular on the road (UC-Davis 17-10, NAU 41-34 in OT, ISU 12-10). Bobcats are much better than those teams and the game is in Bozeman. I'll stand by my picks. :nod:
I dispute that the Bobcats are much better than NAU or Davis (they lost to NAU at home).
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter

Post by EWURanger »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
JALMOND wrote:Geez, all the hostilities. :nod:

I dispute that the Bobcats are much better than NAU or Davis (they lost to NAU at home).
True dat.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

JALMOND wrote:With Portland State done and the athletic department getting ready for next year already, some teams are still trying to settle this year. Still one more week left and this week has two games between conference foes that could decide playoff possibilities (also one game that may help the playoffs, too). Currently, I sit at 49-10 for the year with one more week left. This week's predictions here. All are my opinion and all are open for discussion. Here they are...

2-2 for the week, means I end the year at 51-12. I would have liked better, but if we can get three in with EWU winning I am all for that. Sac State came through for me and prevented me from having my first losing week since mid-year 2007. Good luck playoff participants. :thumb:
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter

Post by EWURanger »

EWURanger wrote:

:thumbdown:

EWU @ NAU - EWU 35, NAU 31
UC-Davis @ Sac - SAC 28, UC-Davis 24
Cal-Poly @ Weber - WSU 31, Poly 14
Montana @ MSU - UM 35, MSU 21
4-0 :thumb:

Told ya' Sac would pull it out!
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Sac State came from behind to get the win over “the farm extension”. It was one hell of a game. You are all wrong! (Except for a select few. :thumb: ) :lol: :twisted:
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter

Post by EWURanger »

SDHornet wrote:Sac State came from behind to get the win over “the farm extension”. It was one hell of a game. You are all wrong! (Except for a select few. :thumb: ) :lol: :twisted:
Come on, now. Give credit where credit is due. I had Sac against Davis *AND* against NAU.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

EWURanger wrote:
SDHornet wrote:Sac State came from behind to get the win over “the farm extension”. It was one hell of a game. You are all wrong! (Except for a select few. :thumb: ) :lol: :twisted:
Come on, now. Give credit where credit is due. I had Sac against Davis *AND* against NAU.
OK. EWURanger is the man. :thumb: Screw everyone else. :lol:
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

SDHornet wrote:
EWURanger wrote:
Hey, I gave you guys credit for saving my week. I took Sac State and took a lot of heat from the Davis fans on the other site for it. :nod:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

JALMOND wrote:
SDHornet wrote:
Hey, I gave you guys credit for saving my week. I took Sac State and took a lot of heat from the Davis fans on the other site for it. :nod:
Good. Make sure you rub this one in their faces a little bit. They have been all over our board spewing trash. They have a tall order of crow to eat. The best part is this was their last game, so they have plenty of time to digest what just happened. :nod: :twisted: :lol:
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

Correct Pick
Incorrect Pick
Actual Score
(-123) = Difference between predicted and actual point spread
APSE = Average Point Spread Error

EWU 45 @ 35 NAU
EWU 49 @ 45 SUU (-6)

Montana 28 @ 20 MSU
Montana 33 @ 19 MSU (-6)

UC Davis 31 @ 17 Sac State
UC Davis 28 @ 31 Sac State (-17)

Cal Poly 13-35 WSU
Cal Poly 14-47 WSU (-11)

This week: 3-1
Last week: 3-2
Overall: 50-13
APSE this week: 10.0 pts
APSE last week: 10.6 pts
APSE overall: 11.33 pts

ALMOST had my Davis over Sac pic to beat JALMOND by 1! Damn you hornets! :lol:

Kidding. Well played game Sac! I end the year one game back from The Man. I'm just grateful we eeked that one out against the Jacks. WOWSERS!!! What a game. We've got some serious work to do this week if we're going to advance to the semis. Some food for thought: EWU is 4-2 in the first round, all-time. :D
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
I wouldn't say all of his picks... I think UM/MSU and NAU/EWU will be close, but I don't see how he has Sac State picked to beat the Aggies. The Hornets have been playing extremely well on offense, especially against weaker defenses (NAU is 94th, UNC is 83rd), but their defense can't stop ****. Davis has been playing great the last few weeks too, after dropping the ball against SUU.
Sorry, Scream. I had to cite this post to show you where you went wrong. The Great West had a down year and the Big Sky elite teams should be able to beat the GW's best (UC-Davis). I was thinking that even included Sac State with the way the Hornets have played this year. If the game was in Davis, I might have went the other way, but Sac State at home in a rivalry, I felt pretty good on it. You go with the conference team on this, we would have tied. Still, both of us with at least 50 good picks I think was a pretty good year. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: (three thumbs up for effort for both of us).
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

JALMOND wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
I wouldn't say all of his picks... I think UM/MSU and NAU/EWU will be close, but I don't see how he has Sac State picked to beat the Aggies. The Hornets have been playing extremely well on offense, especially against weaker defenses (NAU is 94th, UNC is 83rd), but their defense can't stop ****. Davis has been playing great the last few weeks too, after dropping the ball against SUU.
Sorry, Scream. I had to cite this post to show you where you went wrong. The Great West had a down year and the Big Sky elite teams should be able to beat the GW's best (UC-Davis). I was thinking that even included Sac State with the way the Hornets have played this year. If the game was in Davis, I might have went the other way, but Sac State at home in a rivalry, I felt pretty good on it. You go with the conference team on this, we would have tied. Still, both of us with at least 50 good picks I think was a pretty good year. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: (three thumbs up for effort for both of us).

Yeah but the disparity between the two teams' defenses is what sold me on Davis. Their D helped them stay in the game against Boise State, and was ranked 54th in FCS, vs. Sac's 114th ranked defense.