Should Portland State drop football?

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
D1B
Chris's Bitch
Chris's Bitch
I am a fan of: Morehead State

Should Portland State drop football?

Post by D1B »

Perenial BSC doormats and athletic program losing money by the millions. In this day of tuition and student fee hikes, is it time to make some tough decisions and just get rid of the embarrassment of a FB program???

I say yes, replacing em with North and South Dakota. :nod:
"Sarah Palin absolutely blew AWAY the audience tonight. If there was any doubt as to whether she was savvy enough, tough enough or smart enough to carry the mantle of Vice President, she put those fears to rest tonight. She took on Barack Obama DIRECTLY on every issue and exposed... She did it with warmth and humor, and came across as the every-person....it's becoming mroe and more clear that she was a genius pick for McCain."

AZGrizfan - Summer 2008
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Re: Should Portland State drop football?

Post by dbackjon »

You should worry about teams in your own conference dropping football first...
:thumb:
D1B
Chris's Bitch
Chris's Bitch

Post by D1B »

dbackjon wrote:You should worry about teams in your own conference dropping football first...
Oh, should I? :coffee:
"Sarah Palin absolutely blew AWAY the audience tonight. If there was any doubt as to whether she was savvy enough, tough enough or smart enough to carry the mantle of Vice President, she put those fears to rest tonight. She took on Barack Obama DIRECTLY on every issue and exposed... She did it with warmth and humor, and came across as the every-person....it's becoming mroe and more clear that she was a genius pick for McCain."

AZGrizfan - Summer 2008
Green Cookie Monster
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Sacramento State

Post by Green Cookie Monster »

No. Football and Basketball ARE the marketing arms of any university.

Stupid question, but then I see you are a Tom Cruise fan, makes sense.
D1B
Chris's Bitch
Chris's Bitch

Post by D1B »

Green Cookie Monster wrote:No. Football and Basketball ARE the marketing arms of any university.

Yeah and they're marketing futiliy, underachievement and poor decision-making. Jerry Glanville? :lol:

AZGrizfan - Summer 2008
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

D1B wrote:
Green Cookie Monster wrote:No. Football and Basketball ARE the marketing arms of any university.

Yeah and they're marketing futiliy, underachievement and poor decision-making. Jerry Glanville? :lol:
Which makes this next HC selection even more critical. Sac State was in this position 3 years ago. They hired some nobody with NO HC experience and it cost the program dearly for 4 years. But then they rebounded with the selection of Sperbeck and the program was put back on the right track. Although I imagine one of the PSU posters here has more insider knowledge than we do about any talk of dropping the program, I don't think they will do that...yet.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

D1B wrote:

You're describing about half the programs in FCS. So why PSU? BSC envy? :thumb:

And wasn't this the same program that was considering moving up to the WAC?

3 years ago PSU went 7-2 against FCS competition, played 3 FBS games one of which they won, finished 7-4 and in the top for year end GPI. The Glanville experiment didn't go well, but I'm sure you can come up with some more deserving programs in trouble. You should have the time. :nod:
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern Washington

Post by EWURanger »

No. PSU has been down the last few years, but they just need new direction. With Glanville out, hopefully they can bring someone in who will revitalize the program. It's not a lost cause - Idaho State is in much worse shape, IMO.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

D1B wrote:Perenial BSC doormats and athletic program losing money by the millions.
Where did you get this idea? Given the presence of UNC and ISU, where does ANYONE get off calling PSU a "doormat?"

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

PSU discussed this before hiring Glanville. However, the Viks sold a good amount of tickets his first two years and I'm guessing that bought the program a little bit of time.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

D1B wrote:Perenial BSC doormats and athletic program losing money by the millions. In this day of tuition and student fee hikes, is it time to make some tough decisions and just get rid of the embarrassment of a FB program???

I say yes, replacing em with North and South Dakota. :nod:
Three tough years of football and someone wants to say we should drop football. This year was the worse year in football at PSU since 1982. Can't see how it can be considered a doormat, let alone perenial (its perennial, anyway). We also actually broke even this year, with the money game (Oregon State) covering the expenses for the year. To replace us with any school in the Dakotas would double the size of the conference, increasing travel costs for all the rest of the schools.

This thread makes me laugh. After one bad season, the administration bails on the coach (thanks to the other coach who left after spring ball) and now eastern posters want to tell me we should drop football out here. We are not in trouble in any way and there is no word on dropping football. There is talk in Salem of eliminating football at Eastern Oregon (talk of eliminating the college totally) and Southern Oregon. Football is still alive and well at Western Oregon and Portland State.

I don't know if you have any inside information or if you are trying to start rumors. I will laugh at you :D , :lol: , :mrgreen: , :lol: , :lol: , :rofl:
Green Cookie Monster
Level1
Level1

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/Index.aspx

Query this site for rev/exp stats.

Any school playing FCS and sponsoring 18 varsity programs should be in the $10M range, if not, your underfunded and have a chance of being eliminated due to the economic landscape.

Agreed, ISU and UNC are more prone to dropping football than PSU. If PSU dropped football, where would the other programs play? Football keeps the BB program in a conference, so logically, they aren't going anywhere.
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

Post by BlackFalkin »

Portland State will be fine... Coaching change, (& hopefully & uniform change), will get this program back on its feet...
:coffee:
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
weberwildcat
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: WEEber State
A.K.A.: WeberHoops.com

Post by weberwildcat »

So is the point of this thread for PSU to leave the sky or drop football?

Why would PSU do either?

They've gone to back-to-back NCAA tourneys in basketball. Who can say that about their school? No one on this thread.

PSU has 27,000 students; thats a lot of student fees!
Green Cookie Monster
Level1
Level1

BlackFalkin wrote:Portland State will be fine... Coaching change, (& hopefully & uniform change), will get this program back on its feet...
:coffee:
I agree those uniforms and the spear(?) are stupid. Go back to the Viking. Always thought the Zulu's were playing when I saw that spear.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

All honesty, Chisholm has talked about cutting programs, but has said football and both basketball teams are safe. Has said that the backbone of any successful college athletic program relies on football and basketball to lead the way.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

JALMOND wrote:All honesty, Chisholm has talked about cutting programs, but has said football and both basketball teams are safe. Has said that the backbone of any successful college athletic program relies on football and basketball to lead the way.
Tell that to that idiot Don DeRosa, the newly retired (thank God!) president at UOP.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.