We have a new FCS team today. (UNC-Charlotte)

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
danefan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UAlbany

We have a new FCS team today. (UNC-Charlotte)

Post by danefan »

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/topsto ... 17067.html
More than one year after UNC Charlotte trustees agreed to start a football team, the board faces a key decision today on when the future 49ers squad should begin play.

University leaders have long said they hoped to have a team ready in time for the 2013 season. But the soured economy, and its impact on fundraising, led officials to also consider the possibility of a delay.

Trustees must make up their mind, in part, so they'll know whether to pitch an athletics fee increase for football for next school year to UNC-system leaders. The Board of Governors begins debating tuition and fee proposals in January.
Word out of the Queen City area is that it was approved this morning. No official release yet

Just another wrinkle in the already F'ed up world of potential conference realignment.

EDIT: Officially approved to field a team in 2013.

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/genrel/121109aab.html
Last edited by danefan on Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Re: Will we have a new FCS team today? (UNC-C)

Post by andy7171 »

Big South or SoCon?
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

andy7171 wrote:Big South or SoCon?
Based on the comments in the CAA Arm's Race article in the Wash Post this morning..................CAA.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly

Post by andy7171 »

danefan wrote:
andy7171 wrote:Big South or SoCon?
Based on the comments in the CAA Arm's Race article in the Wash Post this morning..................CAA.
Charlotte isn't in the CAA, UNC Wilmington is. F Charlotte ....and ODU too.
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

andy7171 wrote:
danefan wrote:
Charlotte isn't in the CAA, UNC Wilmington is. F Charlotte ....and ODU too.
I know they aren't a CAA team. That's why this was so interesting:
"That's my biggest concern," Scarano said, who said it's not just Old Dominion and Georgia State, but the potential that exists with schools such as George Mason or Charlotte, neither of which currently play football. "It's more of a demographic and types of schools as it is location. Those schools are all 25,000 enrollments and higher. And they have all that power that comes to bear with student fees."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 03871.html
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly

Post by andy7171 »

danefan wrote:
andy7171 wrote: Charlotte isn't in the CAA, UNC Wilmington is. F Charlotte ....and ODU too.
"That's my biggest concern," Scarano said, who said it's not just Old Dominion and Georgia State, but the potential that exists with schools such as George Mason or Charlotte, neither of which currently play football. "It's more of a demographic and types of schools as it is location. Those schools are all 25,000 enrollments and higher. And they have all that power that comes to bear with student fees."
Yeah, but I think he was just speaking to schools in the region that could be adding football not just CAA. Them adding FB would further skew the size differntial between smaller private schools and these ever growing regional state schools that are beginning to have more in common with the lower tier FBS rather than the rest of the FCS.

Mason has a club team and is VERY large. If VCU decides to start up, I could see GMU doing so too. Virginia could have their very own conference.
OL FU
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Furman

Post by OL FU »

Which Conference is Charlotte in now?
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

OL FU wrote:Which Conference is Charlotte in now?
A-10.

Official announcement here:

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/genrel/121109aab.html

Starting in 2013 and fully funding the program up front (including the $45 million stadium)
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Re: We have a new FCS team today. (UNC-Charlotte)

Post by danefan »

Now you have 7 A10 and 4 America East schools playing football as affiliates in different conferences.

Take out Duquense and Dayton and a joint A10/AEast football league would consist of:

Albany
Stony Brook
Maine
New Hampshire
URI
Richmond
UMass
Fordham
Charlotte

The only outlier is Charlotte and they won't be FCS very long anyway (I don't think).

Could the AEast and A10 jointly sponsor this new league?
LastMinuteman
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: UMass

Post by LastMinuteman »

andy7171 wrote:
danefan wrote:

Yeah, but I think he was just speaking to schools in the region that could be adding football not just CAA.
Could be, but here's more smoke from an article back in June quoting the president of URI:

http://www.projo.com/uri/content/projo- ... 2a619.html

"“The Colonial keeps expanding . . . and is probably going to add Charlotte,” Carothers said, “and more and more it gets out of our marketing footprint. We’re not recruiting in those states, and it doesn’t do us any good to go there. But on the other hand, what we could do in the New York area . . . The president at Hofstra wants to get out of the Colonial altogether. He’d like to come in the A-10, but there’s not much enthusiasm right now in the A-10 for that, but I would support that.”

And that was back when the CAA was expecting to have 14 teams. (Though apparently the Hofstra president had already made up his mind about football.)
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

LastMinuteman wrote:
andy7171 wrote:
Yeah, but I think he was just speaking to schools in the region that could be adding football not just CAA.
Could be, but here's more smoke from an article back in June quoting the president of URI:

http://www.projo.com/uri/content/projo- ... 2a619.html

"“The Colonial keeps expanding . . . and is probably going to add Charlotte,” Carothers said, “and more and more it gets out of our marketing footprint. We’re not recruiting in those states, and it doesn’t do us any good to go there. But on the other hand, what we could do in the New York area . . . The president at Hofstra wants to get out of the Colonial altogether. He’d like to come in the A-10, but there’s not much enthusiasm right now in the A-10 for that, but I would support that.”

And that was back when the CAA was expecting to have 14 teams. (Though apparently the Hofstra president had already made up his mind about football.)
Another quote from that article:
“I’d like to bring back the old Yankee Conference plus a couple of SUNY schools,” Carothers said during an interview in his office in May.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Interesting. Another piece in the coming shake up
:thumb:
wideright82
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Bosco
A.K.A.: Feldman

Post by wideright82 »

dbackjon wrote:Interesting. Another piece in the coming shake up

I think if Nova wins it all this year, you will see us move up. Basketball is too good to risk anything and a National Championship in football would really make a case. there are talks apparently by Villanova insiders about it.
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

wideright82 wrote:
dbackjon wrote:Interesting. Another piece in the coming shake up

I think if Nova wins it all this year, you will see us move up. Basketball is too good to risk anything and a National Championship in football would really make a case. there are talks apparently by Villanova insiders about it.
Does Nova somehow drag Delaware along to the Big East for football?
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly

Post by andy7171 »

danefan wrote:
wideright82 wrote:

Why? Delaware is a counter, could replace the West Chester game as their FBS game. Though not being able to have a home game in this series would not be acceptable for the Blue Hens.
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

andy7171 wrote:
danefan wrote:
Why? Delaware is a counter, could replace the West Chester game as their FBS game. Though not being able to have a home game in this series would not be acceptable for the Blue Hens.
I always just assumed Delaware and Nova are attached at the hip for football.
LastMinuteman
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: UMass

Post by LastMinuteman »

If Nova moved to FBS/Big East football, all talk of splits and expansion would be finished. They wouldn't be interested in Delaware or anyone else below the Penn State/Maryland/Boston College level.
wideright82
Supporter
Supporter

Post by wideright82 »

LastMinuteman wrote:If Nova moved to FBS/Big East football, all talk of splits and expansion would be finished. They wouldn't be interested in Delaware or anyone else below the Penn State/Maryland/Boston College level.

As long as Andy Talley is at Villanova we will play Delaware. I wouldn't even be too shocked to see home and homes with them either. At least for the first couple of years. I won't speak for Delaware, but they could probably move up also with all the CAA commotion.
AppStateAlumQC
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Appalachian State

Post by AppStateAlumQC »

I highly doubt Charlotte ends up in SoCon. This was already discussed earlier in the year and Charlotte was turned away. If anything, the 49ers will be able to recruit well.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

danefan wrote:
andy7171 wrote: Why? Delaware is a counter, could replace the West Chester game as their FBS game. Though not being able to have a home game in this series would not be acceptable for the Blue Hens.
I always just assumed Delaware and Nova are attached at the hip for football.
Attached at what hip? Let Nova move up. See ya.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly

Post by andy7171 »

wideright82 wrote:
LastMinuteman wrote:If Nova moved to FBS/Big East football, all talk of splits and expansion would be finished. They wouldn't be interested in Delaware or anyone else below the Penn State/Maryland/Boston College level.

As long as Andy Talley is at Villanova we will play Delaware. I wouldn't even be too shocked to see home and homes with them either. At least for the first couple of years. I won't speak for Delaware, but they could probably move up also with all the CAA commotion.
I dont see how the Big East would allow an away trip to Newark occuring.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

andy7171 wrote:
wideright82 wrote:

I dont see how the Big East would allow an away trip to Newark occuring.
Maybe because Delaware in the CAA would still draw better than Nova in the Big East?
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly

Post by andy7171 »

93henfan wrote:
andy7171 wrote: I dont see how the Big East would allow an away trip to Newark occuring.
Maybe because Delaware in the CAA would still draw better than Nova in the Big East?
Regardless, doesn't the Sunbelt and MAC have conference rules that ban traveling to FCS stadiums? It doesn't matter whether UD would draw more to their stadium than VU.
wideright82
Supporter
Supporter

Post by wideright82 »

andy7171 wrote:
93henfan wrote:
Regardless, doesn't the Sunbelt and MAC have conference rules that ban traveling to FCS stadiums? It doesn't matter whether UD would draw more to their stadium than VU.

Delaware fans can't talk logically about Nova. I think it has to do with the fact they can draw 20000 to a game but can't seem to beat us.
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports ... 18278.html
Rose said she expects to talk with Tom Yeager, commissioner of the Colonial Athletic Association, in the coming days about the possibility of joining the league for football. Two member schools – Northeastern and Hofstra – announced recently they will discontinue their football programs, potentially opening space in the league.