Red turf at EWU?

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
Willie
Level4
Level4

Red turf at EWU?

Post by Willie »

EWU has received the OK from the NCAA and the Big Sky Conference to install red turf in their stadium, if they wish to.

Would this be the design?

Remember, this isn't set in stone at this point.
Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne
JayJ79
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: myself

Re: Red turf at EWU?

Post by JayJ79 »

Willie wrote:Remember, this isn't set in stone at this point.
nor will it ever be. though it might perhaps be set in "high tech polymer" or whatever that fake grass stuff is made of..... :mrgreen:
[/smartass]
Willie
Level4
Level4

Post by Willie »

JayJ79 wrote:
Willie wrote:Remember, this isn't set in stone at this point.
nor will it ever be. though it might perhaps be set in "high tech polymer" or whatever that fake grass stuff is made of..... :mrgreen:
[/smartass]
:kissass:
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

I hope not. Then again, if hope they get it and it looks like complete shit and people bitch about it non stop. Maybe schools will start to learn. I would never attend a game there.
TheGreek
I am a fan of: Florida Gators
A.K.A.: TheGreek

Post by TheGreek »

Ridiculous...buffoonery...and unoriginal.

Boise State has become a punchline with their "Smurf Turf"...and Eastern Washington doesn't even have the program that Boise State does...and I use the term program loosely when referring to both...
Willie
Level4
Level4

Post by Willie »

TheGreek wrote:Ridiculous...buffoonery...and unoriginal.

Boise State has become a punchline with their "Smurf Turf"...and Eastern Washington doesn't even have the program that Boise State does...and I use the term program loosely when referring to both...
Then what about the University of New Haven (Div-II)?

Boise isn't necessarily the "punchline" of colored turf.
TheGreek
I am a fan of: Florida Gators
A.K.A.: TheGreek

Post by TheGreek »

For one...EWU has more of a chance of appearing on a National Broadcast than New Haven does.

IMHO...colored turf is like a gimmick offense...only there because the fundamentals are lacking...and although colored turf really has nothing to do with the type of play or the strength of the program...even mighty Boise State is looked at in a different light..

Just sayin'
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana Grizzlies
A.K.A.: Bill Brasky

Post by Ursus A. Horribilis »

Willie wrote:
TheGreek wrote:Ridiculous...buffoonery...and unoriginal.

Then what about the University of New Haven (Div-II)?

Boise isn't necessarily the "punchline" of colored turf.
The kinda are the punchline Willie cuz there has to be recognition or the recipient of the joke will just say WTF? Boise State is known and New Haven is not.
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

TheGreek wrote:For one...EWU has more of a chance of appearing on a National Broadcast than New Haven does.

IMHO...colored turf is like a gimmick offense...only there because the fundamentals are lacking...and although colored turf really has nothing to do with the type of play or the strength of the program...even mighty Boise State is looked at in a different light..

Just sayin'
The fundamentals certainly aren't lacking at either Boise or EWU. Both usually feature fairly prolific offenses in their respective divisions.

I couldn't give a shit what others think about the red turf, it will bring a lot of publicity to our program which will help with recruiting. I just hope they get it done soon, so TJ can run on it for a season before he gets drafted. :nod:
DJH
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: The MVC

Post by DJH »

HORRENDOUS. I would be embarassed to have something like that at my school.
UNI FIGHT
slycat
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Texas State

Post by slycat »

This would be interesting if it happens.
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

DJH wrote:HORRENDOUS. I would be embarassed to have something like that at my school.
I'd be embarrassed if my school colors were pussy purple and gay gold... :lol:
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter

DJH wrote:HORRENDOUS. I would be embarassed to have something like that at my school.
Purple uni's.
Willie
Level4
Level4

Post by Willie »

:coffee:
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter

Oops, shouldn't have sat on that one so long. :thumb:
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

Ursus A. Horribilis wrote:Oops, shouldn't have sat on that one so long. :thumb:
Yeah, I was all over that one like Rosie O'Donnell on a doughnut.
GOKATS
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by GOKATS »

I've said it before and I'll say it again, pug fucking ugly!!!!!!! :ohno: :ohno: They'll be laughing at that eyesore from the space station. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
JMU DJ
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Leeeeeeroy Jeeeenkins

Post by JMU DJ »

I'm kind of partial to Red and Black for certain undisclosed reasons... but I would never want to see my school make a mockery of their football field. There's some lame group on Facebook trying to get JMU to get Purple turf. Look at this! THE DUMB TARDS EVEN LEFT THE TRACK IN THERE!

If I ever attended a University who's colors were Red and Black, I would be pissed if they wanted to put down an eyesore for field turf.
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

A lot of discontent from fans of schools with homo colors.

Hmmm....
JMU DJ
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Leeeeeeroy Jeeeenkins

Post by JMU DJ »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:A lot of discontent from fans of schools with homo colors.

Hmmm....

Says the resident homophobe... Wasn't knockin' your colors as an FYI. Enjoy burning out your corneas staring at your red turf :thumb:
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:A lot of discontent from fans of schools with homo colors.

Hmmm....
I don't think it will look good and it seems like a bit of a cry for attention but if it brings the attention then good for EWU. I think it would be much more classic if they had the field the traditional green and outline the white bird and the endzone lettering with the red. To me you want attention on the program for reasons other than they jumped on some fashion train that technology has allowed and they are gonna look pretty hack in a couple of years with it. There is an opportunity to make the field look first rate and visually stunning without going with red fieldturf.

That being said, sometimes things like this can become a real sense of pride like Montana's Copper Uni's...most others don't like them and I could see how they look like shit to everyone else but to a Griz fan they are pure beauty.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

JMU DJ wrote:

Hmmm....

Says the resident homophobe... Wasn't knockin' your colors as an FYI. Enjoy burning out your corneas staring at your red turf :thumb:
No shit...recruiting tool my ass. Good luck getting recruits to sign because you turf is red, especially when it causes all sorts of eye soreness by looking at it.
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter

JMU DJ wrote:

Hmmm....

That's also why I don't care for it. It ain't gonna help attention to the product on the field when you will be naturally distracted by the playing field. I'm just spit ballin' here and can't back it up in any fashion but the Griz will play there every other year and only have to deal with it on those occasions but the EWU players will be dealing with a constantly changing contrast every other week. It probably won't mean shit but I would wonder if it changes any kind of perception on the field.
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

Ursus A. Horribilis wrote:

Hmmm....
I don't think it will look good and it seems like a bit of a cry for attention but if it brings the attention then good for EWU. I think it would be much more classic if they had the field the traditional green and outline the white bird and the endzone lettering with the red. To me you want attention on the program for reasons other than they jumped on some fashion train that technology has allowed and they are gonna look pretty hack in a couple of years with it. There is an opportunity to make the field look first rate and visually stunning without going with red fieldturf.

That being said, sometimes things like this can become a real sense of pride like Montana's Copper Uni's...most others don't like them and I could see how they look like shit to everyone else but to a Griz fan they are pure beauty.
Red turf would bring attention to the program due to the uncharacteristic color, which ultimately puts the team and how we perform in the spotlight. EWU is a program on the rise within the ranks of FCS, making the playoffs 4 times out of the last 6, and I think the national exposure we'd get because of the red turf (good or bad), would help EWU football. FCS teams as a whole fail to be recognized in the national college football spotlight unless they upset a big name team (aka Appy beating Michigan), or do something audacious.
Mountaineer
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Mountaineer »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
Red turf would bring attention to the program due to the uncharacteristic color, which ultimately puts the team and how we perform in the spotlight. EWU is a program on the rise within the ranks of FCS, making the playoffs 4 times out of the last 6, and I think the national exposure we'd get because of the red turf (good or bad), would help EWU football. FCS teams as a whole fail to be recognized in the national college football spotlight unless they upset a big name team (aka Appy beating Michigan), or do something audacious.
I think you're giving the media and average football fans waaaaaaaaay too much credit. :lol: In all honesty, I doubt anyone is going to much care that there's a red field somewhere in Washington. Your school and program should speak for themselves without the gimmicks. :nod:

Lookin' forward to seein' how it turns out though. :thumb: