Football Championship Subdivision discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Red turf at EWU?

Post by kalm »

Silenoz wrote:I personally think the red and black would look cool as hell (/duck)

Besides, EWU may as well try something to make their stadium stand out from those of AA high schools.
:nod:

The first issue was; we needed stadium improvements. Field turf was one of the options along with increased and improved seating. The seating improves the experience for the fans, while the turf helps with recruiting and on field performance for a program built on speed (Woodward Field's natural turf is like U.S. Open rough in September, and a monster truck rally in November). We average 5500 attendance in a 10,000 seat capacity stadium. So I'm ok with the turf decision until the attendance numbers come up.

The second issue is that even with a terrific product on the field, playoff teams, and the occassional NFL athlete, we are still losing fans, including alumni, who drive an extra hour down the road to watch Idaho or a 1-12 WSU team because they have larger marketing budgets and are WAC and PAC-10.

So while the marketing factor may not amount to much nationally, it should create a substantial amount of press locally, perhaps even regionally which can make all the difference in the world. Get local football fans, high school players and coaches from Spokane to take the short, 20 minute drive out to Cheney to see a very entertaining and successful product, and they just might return. And better name recognition within our recruiting region can't hurt. I'm also guessing there will be a whole bunch more video clips of EWU home games on FSN and NW Cable News at least for this upcoming year than before which, again, can't hurt.

We'll see about ugly. As mentioned earlier, sometimes ugly is beautiful as in Montana's copper and gold (ugliest and best uni's ever) and can become a sense of pride.

I just hope they move the track.
T-Dog
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: App St
A.K.A.: tdog231

Post by T-Dog »

I'll allow it!

Just stay out of the black turf parts when the temp is above 80.

The sidelines boxes shouldn't be black, just for safety reasons.
twitter.com/tdogappst

App State's Final SoCon Record: 204-87-5

All Time W-L-T - 567-321-28
youngterrier
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: the option
A.K.A.: Boss the Terrier

Post by youngterrier »

Since no one has mentioned it before I'll mention it now: The NCAA made a rule that all new fields must be green (Boise is the exception because they were already Blue)
JMU DJ
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Leeeeeeroy Jeeeenkins

Post by JMU DJ »

youngterrier wrote:Since no one has mentioned it before I'll mention it now: The NCAA made a rule that all new fields must be green (Boise is the exception because they were already Blue)

I don't believe that rule actually exist... I feel like someone posted the actual wording/rule that pertains to this.
Grizzle Bear
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Grizzle Bear »

youngterrier wrote:Since no one has mentioned it before I'll mention it now: The NCAA made a rule that all new fields must be green (Boise is the exception because they were already Blue)
I seem to recall hearing that is a myth. I thought when the EWU idea first came up someone posted the NCAA rules which don't directly forbid the odd turf colors (I think it was in a thread in the now extinct site.) Since New Havens turf and EWU being given permission I think the NCAA only really regulates the color thing to make sure it isn't too extreme, such as multi colors, or even the all black field for safety reasons.
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana Grizzlies
A.K.A.: Bill Brasky

Post by Ursus A. Horribilis »

I'm not sure you got that one right YT. I've seen it get holes shot in it once before when it was brought up. If you can find that rule it would be interesting to read but I think you are dealing with a rumor there.
GOKATS
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by GOKATS »

Wrong!!! The reason noone mentioned it is because it isn't true.
Last edited by GOKATS on Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter

GOKATS wrote:
Wrong!!!
I didn't think it was right but you run into people all the time that think it's a fact so it went around the country at a pretty good clip.
JMU DJ
Level4
Level4

Post by JMU DJ »

Ursus A. Horribilis wrote:
I'm not sure you got that one right YT. I've seen it get holes shot in it once before when it was brought up. If you can find that rule it would be interesting to read but I think you are dealing with a rumor there.

Dude, Wikipedia totally denies the existence of this rule... so it must be right, right? I mean, Sears is run by aliens and Lane Kiffin is a Douche bag so they must be doing something right over at Wikipedia.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

The heat is a non-issue you. We occassionally host a couple of games in early September where it might get above 80 but from late septmember on, the highs are 70 degrees and dropping each week. And september games can be played at night.

Besides, Hoopfest, the largest 3 on 3 basketball tournament in the world, is played every year in late June in mid 80 degree weather on black top.

Our's is a dry kind of heat. :thumb:

What bunch of a Nancies. :ohno: :coffee: ;)
Willie
Level4
Level4

Post by Willie »

If I had a nickel for every time I had to say this...

There is NO NCAA rule saying teams cannot use turf in any color other than green. Just a bunch of gobbledygook.
Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne
youngterrier
Level3
Level3

Post by youngterrier »

It's on one of the loading screens for Boise State on one of the NCAA Football games...
youngterrier
Level3
Level3

Post by youngterrier »

GOKATS wrote:
:hater:
youngterrier
Level3
Level3

Post by youngterrier »

OK it's officially a myth (my bad)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smurf_Turf
JMU DJ
Level4
Level4

Post by JMU DJ »

youngterrier wrote:OK it's officially a myth (my bad)

Told you, Wikipedia doesn't lie. Ever. :mrgreen:
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter

As JMU DJ said YT, don't trust wiki implicitly but let it guide you. Where was the loading page you referenced earlier?
youngterrier
Level3
Level3

Post by youngterrier »

Ursus A. Horribilis wrote:
As JMU DJ said YT, don't trust wiki implicitly but let it guide you. Where was the loading page you referenced earlier?
Either NCAA football 2008 or 2009 on the Xbox360
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter

youngterrier wrote:
Ursus A. Horribilis wrote: As JMU DJ said YT, don't trust wiki implicitly but let it guide you. Where was the loading page you referenced earlier?
Either NCAA football 2008 or 2009 on the Xbox360
:lol:

Holy shit buddy, I thought you were talking about a webpage! I must not have paid enough attention to what you wrote. In that case...I would stick with wiki for now.
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter

youngterrier wrote:It's on one of the loading screens for Boise State on one of the NCAA Football games...

Yeah, I need to look a little closer cuz that will keep me from asking for a link. :oops: :lol:
GOKATS
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by GOKATS »

youngterrier wrote:
GOKATS wrote:
:hater:
OK, pup. I didn't equate my being right with being a hater..............
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

kalm wrote:
Silenoz wrote:I personally think the red and black would look cool as hell (/duck)

Besides, EWU may as well try something to make their stadium stand out from those of AA high schools.
:nod:

The first issue was; we needed stadium improvements. Field turf was one of the options along with increased and improved seating. The seating improves the experience for the fans, while the turf helps with recruiting and on field performance for a program built on speed (Woodward Field's natural turf is like U.S. Open rough in September, and a monster truck rally in November). We average 5500 attendance in a 10,000 seat capacity stadium. So I'm ok with the turf decision until the attendance numbers come up.

The second issue is that even with a terrific product on the field, playoff teams, and the occassional NFL athlete, we are still losing fans, including alumni, who drive an extra hour down the road to watch Idaho or a 1-12 WSU team because they have larger marketing budgets and are WAC and PAC-10.

So while the marketing factor may not amount to much nationally, it should create a substantial amount of press locally, perhaps even regionally which can make all the difference in the world. Get local football fans, high school players and coaches from Spokane to take the short, 20 minute drive out to Cheney to see a very entertaining and successful product, and they just might return. And better name recognition within our recruiting region can't hurt. I'm also guessing there will be a whole bunch more video clips of EWU home games on FSN and NW Cable News at least for this upcoming year than before which, again, can't hurt.

We'll see about ugly. As mentioned earlier, sometimes ugly is beautiful as in Montana's copper and gold (ugliest and best uni's ever) and can become a sense of pride.

I just hope they move the track.
+1
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

Well since you didn't watch the Shrine game, I'll fill you in. Todd McShay announced during the game when Nichols came in that we just got the clearance from both the Big Sky and the NCAA to put in red turf if we wanted. I'd put my money on Todd McShay having his facts straight.
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

eagles nest wrote:Sounds like a done deal, turf will be red with black end zones and will be in for the Montana game in early Sept!
Good to see another EWU poster, stick around! :thumb:
youngterrier
Level3
Level3

Post by youngterrier »

GOKATS wrote:
youngterrier wrote: :hater:
OK, pup. I didn't equate my being right with being a hater..............
rhetoric is everything
JConnolly
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Elon Phoenix

Post by JConnolly »

clenz wrote:
JConnolly wrote:What if they did an all black field with red endzones? Less of an eyesore, and less of a distraction. I mean it would get really hot in the sun, but all of those fieldturf fields get really hot in the sun anyways.
I played for a school that had black field turf endzones, just the endzones, and the trainers wouldn't let us practice in the endzones until the temp dropped late in the season due to the head from it. I can't imagine a field made black could be safe at all
I figured it would probably be too hot, but thanks for the added insight.
EU, You Know