Football Championship Subdivision discussions
SmallCollegeFBFan
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: All
A.K.A.: same

FCS PROSPECT DRAFT NOTES/TIDBITS FROM LEAGUE SOURCES

Post by SmallCollegeFBFan »

Here is some information I have gotten from my sources around the league.

Missouri State TE Clay Harbor has been busy with seven visits and one private workout. The Rams are a team who like him a lot.

Murray State DE Austen Lane was requested to go back to Indianapolis for a medical re-check two weeks ago because they have a second round grade on him and could possibly select him at 57 overall. If they don't and somehow he slides to them at their next pick (156) expect them to take him.

Chicago Bears really love South Dakota State DE Danny Batten and could take him in the 4th round. The Ravens, Bears, Colts, Packers, and Bengals all had him in for a visit while the Lions, Dolphins, Bengals, Eagles, Ravens, and Rams all conducted private workouts with him. There are a couple teams with late 3rd to late 4th round type grades on him and if they really love him might take him there. He wont get past the 5th round in my opinion.

Northwestern State Special Teams/LB Isaiah Greenhouse was called by the Jacksonville Jaguars this week and said if he is undrafted that they really want him. Some teams including Miami, New Orleans, Tennessee, New York Giants, Indianapolis, Kansas City, and Dallas have late round grades on him and there is a legit shot he goes late in the draft. If he doesn't I would be shocked if he is not offered by 5-7 teams as a free agent.

The Patriots and Browns really like Citadel WR Andre' Roberts. He would fit New England very well as their future slot receiver. It would be shocking if he fell below the fifth round.

Appalachian State QB Armanti Edwards has drawn heavy interest from the Panthers, Eagles, Ravens, Patriots, Rams, Colts, Dolphins, and a few others. It is interesting to note that west coast teams either don't like him at all or they are completely sandbagging as teams such as the Raiders, 49ers, etc. have him as a 7th-PFA type prospect. 3rd-5th round is his range.

While my grade of Fordham QB John Skelton is just a 5th round grade there are some teams who have him as a 2nd-3rd round guy. If he goes in the 2nd round I would not be shocked at all. Among teams needing QBs who have shown heavy interest include the Redskins, Seahawks, 49ers, and Bills.

James Madison DE Arthur Moats has received interest from the Bengals, Jaguars, and Patriots as he had private workouts for them. He had visits with the 49ers, Bills, and Eagles. The Jaguars and 49ers stood out as showing the most interest thus far.

Southern Illinois RB Deji Karim is a hot name right now. I had two GMs tell me that he WILL get drafted for sure. He had a private workout with the Eagles and visits with the Eagles, Colts, Chargers, Lions, and Jaguars.

I am not very high on Maine OT Tyler Eastman but his name has come up some. The Falcons, Ravens, Titans, and Dolphins all like him.

William & Mary DT Sean Lissemore is a freak athlete who has gotten interest from several teams. The Colts, Seahawks, Cardinals, Lions, Giants, and Jaguars had him in for a visit while the Jets, Colts, and Eagles had a private workout with him.

Norfolk State WR Chris Bell is either a player that nobody wants or one that people are heavily hiding to try and make him fall on draft day. Surprisingly he has had no visits or workouts with the teams.

Youngstown State WR Donald Jones has gotten a lot of interest from the Cardinals, Bears, Ravens, Jets, and Giants.

Eastern Kentucky OT Derek Hardman had workouts with the Chiefs, Giants, Falcons, 49ers, and Dolphins. He has not had any visits though.

UNI S Quentin Scott would be a better SS than FS at this point in the NFL because he lacks the strength to play linebacker and the cover skills to be a FS. The Bears, Jets, and Patriots all like him a lot.

UNH TE Scott Sicko has gotten interest from the Patriots and more. He could go in the late rounds.

Among my top potential surprises on draft day include Fordham OT Andrew Tyshovnytsky who has gotten a lot of interest from the Jets. EIU OT Chris Campbell whose lack of upper body strength and experience are the only reasons why he might not get drafted. He has had heavy interest as of late and has great upside. He will play 10 years in the NFL. SFA tweener Tim Knicky, Brown DT David Howard, Montana State tweener Dane Fletcher, Montana S Shann Schillinger, Weber State CB Josh Morris, UMASS WR Jeremy Horne-Murdock, Tenn State FS Anthony Levine, William & Mary QB R.J. Archer, and Delaware DE Brandon Gilbeaux are players I like with a shot to go in the late rounds.

UNI DE James Ruffin has not fared well in the postseason but still has some late round grades. He is 50/50 to get drafted.

EWU QB Matt Nichols could now go as high as the 4th or 5th round although I think he is more of a PFA to me.

UC Davis WR Chris Carter is rumored to be a medical reject and it would shock me if he was drafted.

I don't expect William & Mary S David Caldwell, Weber State WR Tim Toone, or EIU OT Otis Hudson to get drafted but they have risen up boards and will at the worst case get strong interest as free agents.

SDSU LB Chris Johnson and UNH LB Sean Ware put up freakish pro days and are now strong PFA types.

Richmond DT Pierre Turner ran a 4.70 at 288 pounds and could become a high PFA.

FAMU DE Joseph Wims had little production in college but measured in at 6'4, 265 pounds, and ran a 4.92 at his pro day and has NFL bloodlines so he might get a shot in camp.

Among other risers to watch out for are SCSU WR Trey Young, UNH RB Chad Kackert, SDSU WR Glen Fox, Northeastern DE Jason Vega, and UT Martin OT Joe Gibbs.
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Re: FCS PROSPECT DRAFT NOTES/TIDBITS FROM LEAGUE SOURCES

Post by Silenoz »

Seeing as how this board is like 50% Griz fans I'll just go ahead and ask: anything new on Mariani?
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

Did I miss something on Vlad Ducasse???

Where do you think he'll land???
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
danefan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UAlbany

Post by danefan »

Thanks for the updates SCFBF
SmallCollegeFBFan
Level2
Level2

Silenoz wrote:Seeing as how this board is like 50% Griz fans I'll just go ahead and ask: anything new on Mariani?
He is 50/50 to get drafted. It seems Montana always has someone who gets taken. Many area scouts were not thoroughly impressed with him but I have to think a GM or director is going to look at him and feel the same way I do and take him in the 6th or 7th. If not then 32 teams have made a mistake.
SmallCollegeFBFan
Level2
Level2

Col Hogan wrote:Did I miss something on Vlad Ducasse???

Nothing new to report. OL coaches LOVE HIM. I would not at all be surprised to see the Colts, Steelers, or someone picking in the 20-35 range pull the trigger. He is 50/50 to go in the first round.

I have some more tidbits I could tell and some info on him was one of them but I was going to spread it out and report some more info tomorrow night. :)
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

SmallCollegeFBFan wrote:
Col Hogan wrote:Did I miss something on Vlad Ducasse???

Nothing new to report. OL coaches LOVE HIM. I would not at all be surprised to see the Colts, Steelers, or someone picking in the 20-35 range pull the trigger. He is 50/50 to go in the first round.

I have some more tidbits I could tell and some info on him was one of them but I was going to spread it out and report some more info tomorrow night. :)
Thanks for all your efforts to keep us informed... :thumb:
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
SmallCollegeFBFan
Level2
Level2

Col Hogan wrote:
SmallCollegeFBFan wrote:

Thanks for all your efforts to keep us informed... :thumb:
No problem. Glad to do it. I am starting on 2010 preseason stuff already. I might bust out my early All-America team here next week. :)
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana Grizzlies
A.K.A.: Bill Brasky

Post by Ursus A. Horribilis »

Nice work again SCFBF!
SmallCollegeFBFan
Level2
Level2

Ursus A. Horribilis wrote:Nice work again SCFBF!
Thanks! I have more tidbits and names but I won't blow my whole load too quickly but instead save some more for another day. :)
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana Grizzlies
A.K.A.: Bill Brasky

Post by Ursus A. Horribilis »

SmallCollegeFBFan wrote:
Ursus A. Horribilis wrote:Nice work again SCFBF!
Thanks! I have more tidbits and names but I won't blow my whole load too quickly but instead save some more for another day. :)
Alright then, I'll keep my eyes peeled. :D
JConnolly
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Elon Phoenix

Post by JConnolly »

I just read on a Boston sports blog that the Patriots have shown interest in Deji Karim. They say he's the most likely RB to be taken by the Pats. http://boston.barstoolsports.com/random ... ing-backs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EU, You Know
DukeJack
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: JMU, NAU
A.K.A.: 08Duke

Post by DukeJack »

Scotty McGee?

Apparently the Colts think he's a third to seventh rounder:

http://www.whsv.com/jmufootball/headlines/90712284.html
SmallCollegeFBFan
Level2
Level2

DukeJack wrote:Scotty McGee?

That does not make him look very good. He blew off someone? I mean the fact a player is cocky and blowing people off in general at all before making it is stupid and tells you the type of person they are going to be in the NFL. I would stay away from guys like him but his pro day results were good and someone I was going to post about with a PFA grade on some boards tomorrow night.

You can honestly believe about 20 percent of what teams say in general at this point anyway. Teams tell every player they like them. The Colts could be telling him nothing but great things hoping that when/if they call him in the 7th round to sign him as a free agent he will feel like they really want him based on what they said just before the draft and go with them over a better offer from another team.
GrizFan5
Level1
Level1

Post by GrizFan5 »

Levi Horn of Montana? I saw he was listed on nfldraftscout.com as the 17th rated tackle recently.

I truly don't know how a scout could not have been impressed with Mariani. He has great hands, nice speed and acceleration, nice athleticism, gets alot of yards after catch, runs nice patterns, is a good blocker, great work ethic, and is not small at almost 6'1", 189. He was also a game changer the past 2 years.
SmallCollegeFBFan
Level2
Level2

GrizFan5 wrote:Levi Horn of Montana? I saw he was listed on nfldraftscout.com as the 17th rated tackle recently.

I truly don't know how a scout could not have been impressed with Mariani. He has great hands, nice speed and acceleration, nice athleticism, gets alot of yards after catch, runs nice patterns, is a good blocker, great work ethic, and is not small at almost 6'1", 189. He was also a game changer the past 2 years.
They are dropping him, if they have not already. He has off field issues and the 40-time posted by Gil Brandt is wrong. I won't say how I know but I know. He got it confused with the Morehouse OT. That kid is going 4th-6th and Horn is a PFA.
GrizFan5
Level1
Level1

Post by GrizFan5 »

SmallCollegeFBFan wrote:
GrizFan5 wrote:Levi Horn of Montana? I saw he was listed on nfldraftscout.com as the 17th rated tackle recently.

They are dropping him, if they have not already. He has off field issues and the 40-time posted by Gil Brandt is wrong. I won't say how I know but I know. He got it confused with the Morehouse OT. That kid is going 4th-6th and Horn is a PFA.
Horn doesn't have off-field issues. The NFL doesn't have this right, just like you say they didn't have his 40 time right. Why can't they do some simple investigation to get something like this right? One of the NFL scouts at pro day ought to be banned from the NFL, for what some others told me he said to Horn that morning. I'm starting to think some of these NFL types are a bunch of clowns. I think Horn will make in the NFL.

nfldraftscout.com has changed his 40 time to 5.48, but has only dropped him to 21st tackle from 17th, and now has him at a projected 6-7 round draft choice.
DukeJack
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: JMU, NAU
A.K.A.: 08Duke

Post by DukeJack »

SmallCollegeFBFan wrote:
DukeJack wrote:Scotty McGee?

That does not make him look very good. He blew off someone? I mean the fact a player is cocky and blowing people off in general at all before making it is stupid and tells you the type of person they are going to be in the NFL. I would stay away from guys like him but his pro day results were good and someone I was going to post about with a PFA grade on some boards tomorrow night.

You can honestly believe about 20 percent of what teams say in general at this point anyway. Teams tell every player they like them. The Colts could be telling him nothing but great things hoping that when/if they call him in the 7th round to sign him as a free agent he will feel like they really want him based on what they said just before the draft and go with them over a better offer from another team.
Fair enough, but most of our guys the last few years we felt were good enough to be drafted (Landers, Holloman, etc) had been told they were being looked at as PFAs and not as draft picks. Given that Scotty wasn't much more than an average corner with blazing speed I thought he would be in the same boat as a FA, I was really surprised to hear that the Colts were looking at drafting him.

And if you're going to judge him off something that happened his freshmen year you should really take a look into what his coaches and teammates had to say about his character the last couple years. That will not be an issue for him, period.
SmallCollegeFBFan
Level2
Level2

GrizFan5 wrote:
SmallCollegeFBFan wrote:
Horn doesn't have off-field issues. The NFL doesn't have this right, just like you say they didn't have his 40 time right. Why can't they do some simple investigation to get something like this right? One of the NFL scouts at pro day ought to be banned from the NFL, for what some others told me he said to Horn that morning. I'm starting to think some of these NFL types are a bunch of clowns. I think Horn will make in the NFL.

nfldraftscout.com has changed his 40 time to 5.48, but has only dropped him to 21st tackle from 17th, and now has him at a projected 6-7 round draft choice.
There has to be something because if not the NFL could get sued by him for slander. The NFL had his 40-time right. A writer for NFL.com, who is in his 80s, just happened to read it wrong. I am sure when I get his age I will read some of the small print wrong as well.

I don't expect him to drop much more than that, if any, because of his size someone might take a shot late. I am just saying that Horn is a PFA in my mind. To be honest I thought Horn flashed draftable talent at times but also looked really silly a few times too.
SmallCollegeFBFan
Level2
Level2

DukeJack wrote:
SmallCollegeFBFan wrote:

Fair enough, but most of our guys the last few years we felt were good enough to be drafted (Landers, Holloman, etc) had been told they were being looked at as PFAs and not as draft picks. Given that Scotty wasn't much more than an average corner with blazing speed I thought he would be in the same boat as a FA, I was really surprised to hear that the Colts were looking at drafting him.

And if you're going to judge him off something that happened his freshmen year you should really take a look into what his coaches and teammates had to say about his character the last couple years. That will not be an issue for him, period.
Really the only JMU players I have seen in the last 5 years that I thought were draftable were Akeem Jordan and I had thought McGee would have a chance this year but I knew Jordan was a PFA because of size and McGee had a down year this season. It would not shock me to see him go in the 6th or 7th round but I would be flabbergasted if he went higher than pick 200 based on his film this year. Had he ran 4.3s after 2008 and come out I would have been willing to bet that someone will take him. If you flip flopped his 40 for Leroy Vann then Vann would be a 4th rounder and McGee would be a true free agent. The problem with both of them is that they can't play CB in the NFL and are only return guys. The NFL does not take 5'8 CBs in the top 5 rounds from small schools that are return men only. If he went higher than the 6th round it would be the first time from what I have found in the last 10 years.
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Silenoz »

SmallCollegeFBFan wrote:
GrizFan5 wrote:

There has to be something because if not the NFL could get sued by him for slander. The NFL had his 40-time right. A writer for NFL.com, who is in his 80s, just happened to read it wrong. I am sure when I get his age I will read some of the small print wrong as well.

I don't expect him to drop much more than that, if any, because of his size someone might take a shot late. I am just saying that Horn is a PFA in my mind. To be honest I thought Horn flashed draftable talent at times but also looked really silly a few times too.
I think I recall some character issues being mentioned on egriz last season. Take that for what it's worth
SmallCollegeFBFan
Level2
Level2

Silenoz wrote:
SmallCollegeFBFan wrote:

I think I recall some character issues being mentioned on egriz last season. Take that for what it's worth
Exactly. There is some issue there. Seems like Montana OL always have issues. There have been some really good ones the last 4 years and none drafted all because of either bad pro days or off field concerns. Horn falls in line with both of those two things. That is why I don't think he gets taken but I would say he has a 40 percent chance.
BigDawgPop
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Gardner Webb
A.K.A.: drm7336

Post by BigDawgPop »

Have you heard either Kyle Weber (OL) or Stan Doolittle (QB) names mentioned anywhere? I hear they are getting some interest from some teams.

SmallCollegeFBFan
Level2
Level2

BigDawgPop wrote:Have you heard either Kyle Weber (OL) or Stan Doolittle (QB) names mentioned anywhere? I hear they are getting some interest from some teams.
Possible free agents but that is about it. There are a lot of QBs with Stan's size, arm strength, and production in college. I think it is 50/50 depending on if a team likes him and he is their top guy available after the draft.
SmallCollegeFBFan
Level2
Level2

BigDawgPop wrote:Have you heard either Kyle Weber (OL) or Stan Doolittle (QB) names mentioned anywhere? I hear they are getting some interest from some teams.
Possible free agents but that is about it. There are a lot of QBs with Stan's size, arm strength, and production in college. I think it is 50/50 depending on if a team likes him and he is their top guy available after the draft.