S Matt Estrada
Close...

edit - pic WAY TOO BIG
:thumb:
GrizMadman
I am a fan of: UM, UNLV

Re: EARLY LOOK AT 2011 FCS NFL DRAFT PROSPECTS

Post by GrizMadman »

Willie wrote:Chase Reynolds from Montana. He may not have the speed and size to compete for a starting job (right away), but I think he has the vision and athletic ability to be a short yardage back.
Don't forget Trumaine Johnson CB/WR, more discussed as an NFL prospect on the Griz board than Chase, alho' I agree Chase is a good prospect.
SouthDakotaGrizzly
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by SouthDakotaGrizzly »

GrizMadman wrote:
Willie wrote:Chase Reynolds from Montana. He may not have the speed and size to compete for a starting job (right away), but I think he has the vision and athletic ability to be a short yardage back.
Don't forget Trumaine Johnson CB/WR, more discussed as an NFL prospect on the Griz board than Chase, alho' I agree Chase is a good prospect.
Tru is the best NFL prospect on the team right now, but he'll be a junior next year so wouldn't go until the 2012 draft (assuming he doesn't leave early, but I doubt he will).
FIRST DOWN.....MMMMOOOONNNNTTTTAAAANNNNAAAA!!!!

Stubbins
I am a fan of: University of Montana
A.K.A.: Always Stubbins

Post by Stubbins »

JConnolly wrote:What about Brandon Ward, DE from Elon? He might be undersized for a DE in the NFL, but at 6'5" 235 lbs, he might be able to play OLB
I think that is plenty of size...I don't think Kroy was that big when he got to the falcant's. He's huge now.
JConnolly
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Elon Phoenix

Post by JConnolly »

Stubbins wrote:
JConnolly wrote:What about Brandon Ward, DE from Elon? He might be undersized for a DE in the NFL, but at 6'5" 235 lbs, he might be able to play OLB
I think that is plenty of size...I don't think Kroy was that big when he got to the falcant's. He's huge now.
I think if he can put on about 15 pounds he'll be good size for a OLB. May favorite OLB in the NFL is Tully Banta-Cain from the Patriots and he's 6'2" 250
EU, You Know
BigSkyFootball
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by BigSkyFootball »

NAU QB Michael Herrick, a Walter Payton Award finalist last season, and the best passer in the FCS, will be a lower round draft selection in 2011 due to his size (6-1/205). But he's every bit as good as some of the BCS QBs they're touting for high draft picks. The Ole Miss transfer is as accurate as anybody in the draft and is compared to Drew Brees of the Saints in many areas. Watch out for Herrick!
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Post by bluehenbillk »

jstclmet wrote: Staying on the offensive side, Chris Whitney (QB) could go as high as 4th/5th round, or he could slip and find his way on a team as an UFA.
Really?!? Whitney is a very good college QB, but then again so was Eric Crouch. A guy like Armanti Edwards gets drafted late as an athlete/WR. Whitney unless something notable changes his senior year, isn't getting drafted as a QB.....
Make Delaware Football Great Again
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

bluehenbillk wrote:
jstclmet wrote: Staying on the offensive side, Chris Whitney (QB) could go as high as 4th/5th round, or he could slip and find his way on a team as an UFA.
Really?!? Whitney is a very good college QB, but then again so was Eric Crouch. A guy like Armanti Edwards gets drafted late as an athlete/WR. Whitney unless something notable changes his senior year, isn't getting drafted as a QB.....
Yeah. I mean, not taking anything away from his accomplishments, but he does not have a pro delivery.

Regarding our own guy Devlin, I don't see where he has a sniff at the top three rounds unless he takes us to Chatty. He doesn't have near the size or arm strength of Joe, though his accuracy and smarts are phenomenal. I could see Pat going anywhere from F/A to maybe third round with a good year. :twocents:
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
slycat
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Texas State

Post by slycat »

SmallCollegeFBFan wrote:
txstatebobcat wrote:I'm curious as what you think of TxSt's Karrington Bush's chances of getting drafted. Last year he was hampered with injuries until he blew out his knee half way through the season. With all that said he is a special player when healthy.
Without going into great detail there are some things killing him that I can't talk about on here. I will re-check him in the fall but I don't think he is going to be a guy many teams would even leave on their board as a player they would bring in, let alone draft.
Can't say I like the sound of that.
Saint3333
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Saint3333 »

ASU:

6-7th round - Legree
FA - DJ Smith

FA looks but probably do not make rosters - Moore, Hillary
slulionsfan
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Southeastern Louisiana

Post by slulionsfan »

Kevin Hughes, Left Tackle, 6-4, 296, Southeastern Louisiana, has been drawing quite a bit of interest from scouts this spring...while he doesn't possess ideal size, he's a great athlete who can run, has excellent feet and excels in pass protection...played well against Ole Miss and shut down UCA's Larry Hart and Markel Carter last fall...IMO, he's the best returning OL in the SLC.
Redwyn
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Stony Brook

Post by Redwyn »

Not many 2011s, but some 2012 to look to:

RB Edwin Gowins
QB Michael Coulter
CB Al-Majid Hudgins

Possibly a few of the Hofstra transfers as well
Maysonet
Jacklowski

Will be interesting to see how Priore handles his crowded backfield.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

jstclmet wrote:Will there be Pro football in 2011?? Assuming, all parties can agree on the salary cap and whatever other issues that may lead to a lockout, below is my opinion on who will be playing in the NFL from Nova;

Judging by how high Ducasse went, I'd say Ben Ijalana (LT) has a good shot to go in that same area of the 2nd round if not higher.

If he's not playing baseball, and depending on the team need and who's drafting where, I can see Matt Szczur (WR/KR) going as high as late 2nd also.

Staying on the offensive side, Chris Whitney (QB) could go as high as 4th/5th round,
or he could slip and find his way on a team as an UFA.

Aaron Ball (RB) depending on what kind of year he has this year could be a middle to late round pick, or be an UFA.

Angelo Babbaro (RB) UFA

Brant Clouser (OL) should get drafted in the late rounds, but may slip to UFA.

On the defense, Terence Thomas (LB) will probably be a 5th round pick or slip to UFA.

Marquis Kirkland (LB) UFA.

John Dempsey (S) UFA.
No way Sczcur goes as high as the 2nd round. If he does get drafted, it will be late.

You're on crack if you think Whitney is an NFL QB. He won't get drafted, and I'd be shocked if he got offered a UFA contract.

Ijalana is Nova's only lock to get drafted, and I agree he could go 1st day.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SmallCollegeFBFan
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: All
A.K.A.: same

Post by SmallCollegeFBFan »

jstclmet wrote:Will there be Pro football in 2011?? Assuming, all parties can agree on the salary cap and whatever other issues that may lead to a lockout, below is my opinion on who will be playing in the NFL from Nova;

Judging by how high Ducasse went, I'd say Ben Ijalana (LT) has a good shot to go in that same area of the 2nd round if not higher.

If he's not playing baseball, and depending on the team need and who's drafting where, I can see Matt Szczur (WR/KR) going as high as late 2nd also.

Staying on the offensive side, Chris Whitney (QB) could go as high as 4th/5th round, or he could slip and find his way on a team as an UFA.

Aaron Ball (RB) depending on what kind of year he has this year could be a middle to late round pick, or be an UFA.

Angelo Babbaro (RB) UFA

Brant Clouser (OL) should get drafted in the late rounds, but may slip to UFA.

On the defense, Terence Thomas (LB) will probably be a 5th round pick or slip to UFA.

Marquis Kirkland (LB) UFA.

John Dempsey (S) UFA.
Ijalana is the top guy by far. 2nd-4th round range I would say.

Whitney is a tryout type player. Don't see him getting drafted. Ball is just a productive back. There are so many of them. Free agent at best.

Clouser is an FA.

Thomas and Kirkland are free agents I think.

Dempsey is a marginal tryout player. I could see FA but not a definite one.
SpiderFan5
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Richmond Spiders

Post by SpiderFan5 »

Rogers
McBride
Parker
Grayson (Maybe)
ImageImage
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

SIU will be young this year, but All-American CB Korey Lindsey is a certain draft pick. QB Chris Dieker has NFL size, 6'5"/ 230, and a cannon arm, but missed half of last year with a broken collarbone and is learning his 3rd offense in 4 years. I don't know if he'll get drafted but he'll be in some camps.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
SmallCollegeFBFan
Level2
Level2

SpiderFan5 wrote:Rogers
McBride
Parker
Grayson (Maybe)
Parker is a good player but mostly a pass rusher right now and lacks the bulk to play inside at the NFL level. He is a definite free agent though because I have seen him wreak havoc on opponents. He is an explosive, fast, and strong player worth a look.

McBride lacks the bulk in my mind but he is a productive player that could get serious looks if he bulks up. I was told he ran pretty decent at his junior pro day.

Grayson is stiff and not explosive. Free agent at best right now. He also has some injury issues in the past.

Rogers is just show but a heck of a player with versatility, speed, and good explosion. I think he's a solid PFA.
SmallCollegeFBFan
Level2
Level2

houndawg wrote:SIU will be young this year, but All-American CB Korey Lindsey is a certain draft pick. QB Chris Dieker has NFL size, 6'5"/ 230, and a cannon arm, but missed half of last year with a broken collarbone and is learning his 3rd offense in 4 years. I don't know if he'll get drafted but he'll be in some camps.
To me Lindsey is the best SIU prospect since Brandon Jacobs and I was high on Karim last year. Dieker is a free agent in my mind. I consider a cannon arm to be Flacco and Skelton. His arm is a little below both of them but is strong for sure.
syncerepapi
I am a fan of: William & Mary
A.K.A.: The Tribe

Post by syncerepapi »

Tribe4SF wrote:The sleeper at W&M is DE Bryan Jean-Pierre. He has not realized his potential, and hopefully will this year. At 6'4" 275 he has an explosive burst, and is very athletic. Has played mostly at DT, but will get time this year at DE.

Another sleeper at W&M is DT Harold Robertson who is a force inside, physical, strong, and quick at 6'2 290lbs. I have watched him play the 4-3 and the nose tackle in a 3-4. He has proven to be very effective and take on countless double teams. This spring he and Bryan Jean-Pierre pretty much stole the show on defense and were constantly in the backfield. I think with the loss of our heralded seniors, these guys are now able to showcase their abilities. He had been hampered by some injuries but he is now at 100%. I think Harold may be listed as a Junior though so I guess he would be a 2012 prospect if true.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Welcome syncerepapi!
:thumb:
syncerepapi
A.K.A.: The Tribe

Post by syncerepapi »

Thanks dbackjon!
BigGreen
A.K.A.: Tribe

Post by BigGreen »

David Miller, W&M's rising senior punter, is no dark horse...he is already on the lists of many NFL clubs.

Miller's booming, high punts have consistently hit the magic NFL hang time standard of from five seconds up to a remarkable 5.3 seconds and rarely are his punts returned. He also excels at shorter punts that start opposing teams within their twenty-yard line and uses directional out-of-bounds pooch kicks where the situation demands.

He is the best William and Mary punter in memory and possibly the best ever in the CAA.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

BigGreen wrote:David Miller, W&M's rising senior punter, is no dark horse...he is already on the lists of many NFL clubs.

Miller's booming, high punts have consistently hit the magic NFL hang time standard of from five seconds up to a remarkable 5.3 seconds and rarely are his punts returned. He also excels at shorter punts that start opposing teams within their twenty-yard line and uses directional out-of-bounds pooch kicks where the situation demands.

He is the best William and Mary punter in memory and possibly the best ever in the CAA.
One of the most underrated players on a team!

A good punter last year would have possibly won UNI at least 1, maybe 2, games last year.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

JMU:
-Theo Sherman, OT, listed last season at 6'4", 300: Same thing. Started the last 3 seasons for JMU at OT. Was All CAA 3rd team, should be JMU's only other pre season 1st team selection. Shot at PFA
-Ronnell Brown, DT, last season listed at 6'2", 260: was 3rd team All CAA, should be preseason 1st team. Too small for DT at next level. Probably not quick enough for DE. Long shot PFA.

Could be the biggest sleeper in the CAA, as noone outside of JMU has likely heard of him, and who could certainly be a PFA:
Nick Emmons, who will start at DT opposite Brown:
-07'- started for Army at DE as a soph.
-08'- Started 1st game I believe as a junior then left West Point.
-09- Transferred to JMU, sat out due to transfer issue, took a redshirt.
-10- will start at JMU as a rSr.

This was in the Harrisonburg Daily News Record at the end of last season in an article talking about what JMU lost and has coming back for 2010 (can't give link since its subscription only):

"...In addition, Army transfer Nick Emmons looked like a beast-in-waiting while practicing with the team this season. Matthews expected Emmons to play this year, but the NCAA ruled he had to sit out a year after transferring from West Point.

Matthews declined to say why, pointing to privacy issues, but said Emmons is "close to a 4.0 student."

"He continued working," Matthews said. "He practiced very hard this fall. It'd break my heart every Tuesday watching him rush the passer and thinking he was not going to play on Saturday."..."

From article at end of March:

"...Even the defensive line, which loses a pair of all-conference performers in Moats and Daniels, appears solid. Army transfer Nick Emmons (6-foot-3, 262 pounds) could play at either end or tackle and, Matthews believes, has a chance to be a dominating player.

"We thought last year in August, he was our second-best defensive lineman," Matthews said. "Nick just has tremendous ability."

Emmons expected to play right away at JMU, but the NCAA ruled he had to sit out a year. He spent that time impressing the coaching staff with his ability and effort on the scout team. Now, he's eager to show what he can do in an actual game.

"I actually have something to play for," Emmons said Tuesday. "I've been champing at the bit for quite a while."..."

JMU lost 3 of 4 DTs off the 2 deep: 1 starting DT, 2nd team All CAA Sam Daniels, and both 2nd teamers, one a senior and the other rising rJr Max Alexandre who tore his ACL this spring and will miss the 2010 season. That means Emmons will be at DT instead of DE.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

SmallCollegeFBFan wrote:Alright guys I was going to post on some names and tidbits I have for next year already. Who do you think has a shot on your team to play in the NFL? Also, if you guys want some info on next year let me know or I will let this thread die. I will go ahead and throw out there that I have 8 players firmly on the draft board and another 6-8 guys that I really like to possibly move into the draft.