Football Championship Subdivision discussions
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

Three sophomore linebackers leave MSU

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

One of the thinnest positions on Montana State's football roster got a little thinner on Friday, when head coach Rob Ash confirmed that Bobcat sophomore linebackers Jared Rohrback, Jimmy Ekumah and Brad Daly have decided to leave the program.
Their reasons are all unique and "not really about football," Ash said.

"None of them were guys involved in disciplinary situations where we terminated them," he said. "All three were kind of different situations. It's just a coincidence that it hit at that one position."

Read More
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: Three sophomore linebackers leave MSU

Post by AZGrizFan »

That sucks. :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern Washington

Post by EWURanger »

Hate to see kids have to leave programs because of off the field circumstances and have to miss out on a free education. Really sucks for MSU. :ohno:
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

EWURanger wrote:Hate to see kids have to leave programs because of off the field circumstances and have to miss out on a free education. Really sucks for MSU. :ohno:
I don't think it was so much off the field circumstances, rather they just didn't want to play anymore. At least that's what I gathered.
GOKATS
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by GOKATS »

EWURanger wrote:Hate to see kids have to leave programs because of off the field circumstances and have to miss out on a free education. Really sucks for MSU. :ohno:
What off the field circumstances? Sometimes it helps to read the article. Two of them are still in school but left the FB program because of injury, etc. The other one (the one with the best potential) just isn't sure college is what he wants right now so he's going to try working for awhile. He's young and will hopefully realize that college and FB is where he should be, but for now his heart isn't in it, that's his choice to make.

Will they be missed? Hell yes, but they're all sophs so there is plenty of other talent on the team.
lizrdgizrd
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Appalachian State

Post by lizrdgizrd »

GOKATS wrote:Will they be missed? Hell yes, but they're all sophs so there is plenty of other talent on the team.
If there's plenty of other talent then why did the article start with:
One of the thinnest positions on Montana State's football roster got a little thinner on Friday
GOKATS
Level2
Level2

Post by GOKATS »

lizrdgizrd wrote:
GOKATS wrote:Will they be missed? Hell yes, but they're all sophs so there is plenty of other talent on the team.
If there's plenty of other talent then why did the article start with:
One of the thinnest positions on Montana State's football roster got a little thinner on Friday

As a rule the Cats have been pretty deep at LB and the position is a bit thin this year due to graduation. It might also have something to do with tha fact that most other positions are pretty deep this year. The LB coach says we're in good shape, just a bit inexperienced, so I feel ok about the position.
Catattack
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: MSU

Post by Catattack »

Just wondering how many LB's teams that run a 4-3 defense carry on their roster? Including incoming fresh. the Bobcats will have 11. The Griz run a 4-3 and will have 12 LB's this fall.
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern Washington

Post by EWURanger »

GOKATS wrote:
What off the field circumstances? Sometimes it helps to read the article. Two of them are still in school but left the FB program because of injury, etc. The other one (the one with the best potential) just isn't sure college is what he wants right now so he's going to try working for awhile. He's young and will hopefully realize that college and FB is where he should be, but for now his heart isn't in it, that's his choice to make.

Will they be missed? Hell yes, but they're all sophs so there is plenty of other talent on the team.
Their reasons are all unique and "not really about football," Ash said.

Not really about football - I.E. "off the field", or personal. I wasn't implying they were crack addicts or anything.
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

GOKATS wrote:

Ultimately, Ash said, he decided his heart was at Montana State, it just wasn't in football any longer.
"He's happy here and is going to stay in school," Ash said. "He just doesn't want to play anymore," Ash said.
He just didn't like playing for MSU I guess. Don't blame the guy. :lol:
Catattack
Level1
Level1

Post by Catattack »

So if Taiwan Jones blew his knee out beyond repair this fall or maybe got a sickness that lowered his weight 30 lbs. and then got a couple concussions and decided to hang up his cleats, would you be saying the same thing?
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

Catattack wrote:So if Taiwan Jones blew his knee out beyond repair this fall or maybe got a sickness that lowered his weight 30 lbs. and then got a couple concussions and decided to hang up his cleats, would you be saying the same thing?
If those things happened, he'd not only still be playing, but get 800 yds instead of 1200+. :mrgreen:

Plus, if he (or any player, MSU included) blew out his knee "beyond repair," it wouldn't be a choice to leave the team. He'd have to. Jones played through injuries to both of his shoulders, his hand, and a sports hernia last year and still put up those numbers. :twocents:
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana Grizzlies
A.K.A.: Bill Brasky

Post by Ursus A. Horribilis »

Tough break for the early part of the season but MSU always fill in that defense real well so I imagine the difference won't be real noticeable after first 5 or 6 games.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ursus A. Horribilis wrote:Tough break for the early part of the season but MSU always fill in that defense real well so I imagine the difference won't be real noticeable after first 5 or 6 games.
True. They'll still probably tear down the goal posts after another 6-5 season and another loss to the Griz. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Catattack
Level1
Level1

Post by Catattack »

mlbowl
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by mlbowl »

GOKATS wrote:
What off the field circumstances? Sometimes it helps to read the article.

"He played sporadically at both linebacker and defensive end as a true freshman but had been suspended for most of the spring due to eligibility issues."...Seems kinda like off the field circumstances. :twocents:
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. - Coach Finstock
Obzerver
I am a fan of: EWU

Post by Obzerver »

I wouldn't say a "free education" when a Football player gets a scholarship. The school basically owns them year round. What players endure may surprise many that haven't gone thru the rigors of college Football.
Catattack
Level1
Level1

Post by Catattack »

When someone says that a player has had some "off-field" issues, is grades the first thing that pops into your heads?
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana Grizzlies
A.K.A.: Bill Brasky

Post by Ursus A. Horribilis »

Catattack wrote:When someone says that a player has had some "off-field" issues, is grades the first thing that pops into your heads?
NO. Being from Montana that shouldn't be the first thing that pops into either of our minds. :lol:
bpcats
Level1
Level1

Post by bpcats »

With those three leaving it does leave the position thin, but we have two returning starters at the weakside and mlb spots. The linebacker that had the injury had the best shot of taking over the Sam LB position. MSU did sign a JC transfer for the starting position so we shouldn't lose too much there.

With the lack of depth it did allow the coaches to get one of the senior linebackers trained at all three positions and they were able to coach up a lot of the young guys to develop the two deep roster. One of those players (Grosulak FR from Billings Central) is an instinctive playmaker and made some good strides this last spring.

What is more of a concern is that most of our starting cornerbacks that were forced into action last year were all recovering from injuries and didn't get the instruction that they needed this spring.
mlbowl
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by mlbowl »

Catattack wrote:When someone says that a player has had some "off-field" issues, is grades the first thing that pops into your heads?
That's not the point...GOKATS specifically asked "what off-field circumstance?"and implied that EWURanger didn't read the article...Well, I did... and the following quote was taken right from the article...."had been suspended for most of the spring due to eligibility issues.".......Sounds a lot like an "off-field circumstance" ;)
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. - Coach Finstock
bpcats
Level1
Level1

Post by bpcats »

Lost 1 to injury.

Lost 1 to not wanting to play football

Lost 1 to grades/dropping out of school.