Best rivalry

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
SouthDakotaGrizzly
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Montana

Re: Best rivalry

Post by SouthDakotaGrizzly »

Willie wrote:I know a lot of people are saying if/when the Griz move up that the Cat/Griz game will cease to exist...well I call straight bullshit on that. They will make it happen. It's in the top 5 for longest running rivalries, it won't die.
The concern is whether or not the WAC would allow it to happen (assuming that IF the Griz move up, they move to the WAC). Supposedly, the reason the Idaho-Montana rivalry died out was because the WAC enacted a bylaw saying that their member schools could not play road games at FCS schools (or maybe it was because Idaho got sick of losing to the Griz :lol: ). Just as Montana doesn't want to travel to Moscow every year to play the Vandals, I imagine the Cats wouldn't want to visit Wa-Griz for eternity. Of course, others say that UM and MSU are essentially attached at the hip and that if one goes up the other will follow, in which case the rivalry could continue.

In any case, my vote is for Griz-Cat (and I'll always call it that as long as the Griz lead the series.....so, forever :thumb: ).
FIRST DOWN.....MMMMOOOONNNNTTTTAAAANNNNAAAA!!!!

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

tampajag wrote:
SpeedkingATL wrote:Personally I have to go with App State and Georgia Southern. Both high profile programs where there is good ole fashioned hate involved. Regardless of which team is "up" most games are highly contested bloodbaths both on and off the field. I have more fun going to Statesboro that any other away game just because of the passion of both schools supporters. As someone else said "hillbillies vs. rednecks" has got to be fun.

From what I know Montana vs Montana State might be the biggest on a national basis. I'm not that knowledgeable about the history of some of the historically black colleges and universities but I would guess matchups like Grambling and Southern would have a lot of history behind them too. :thumb: Don't they draw more than 40K for their biggest matchups?
Bayou Classic attendance has been dropping but over the last 5 years the average is still 53K.
I believe Griz/sCat would draw 50k if there were a stadium large enough....
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
GOKATS
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by GOKATS »

SouthDakotaGrizzly wrote:
Willie wrote:I know a lot of people are saying if/when the Griz move up that the Cat/Griz game will cease to exist...well I call straight bullshit on that. They will make it happen. It's in the top 5 for longest running rivalries, it won't die.

In any case, my vote is for Griz-Cat (and I'll always call it that as long as the Griz lead the series.....so, forever :thumb: ).
Another dyslexic griz so noted. It's Cat/griz and always has been, live with it. :nod:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

GOKATS wrote:
SouthDakotaGrizzly wrote:

Another dyslexic griz so noted. It's Cat/griz and always has been, live with it. :nod:
Maybe in Bozo-land, but in the football heartland, it'll always be Griz/scat.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BigSkyFootball
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by BigSkyFootball »

Montana State vs Montana is the best FCS rivalry, bar none. Take your pick on the best rivalry on any level:
USC vs UCLA, Michigan vs Ohio State, Florida vs Georgia, Harvard vs Yale, Texas vs Oklahoma, Alabama vs Auburn and my choice . . .Army vs. Navy
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

JMU-ODU

:coffee:
GOKATS
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by GOKATS »

AZGrizFan wrote:
GOKATS wrote:
One more dyslexic griz duly noted, but I already knew your head was fucked up. :kisswink:

The dylexia among griz fans has only been around for the last ten years or so there's no history to it. If it makes you feel better go for it but it's a better fit for griz band wagon fans who have no background anyway.
green&gold75
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: WILLIAM & MARY

Post by green&gold75 »

bandl vs andy7171. Montana State vs Montana pales by comparison.
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana Grizzlies
A.K.A.: Bill Brasky

Post by Ursus A. Horribilis »

GOKATS wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
One more dyslexic griz duly noted, but I already knew your head was fucked up. :kisswink:

The dylexia among griz fans has only been around for the last ten years or so there's no history to it. If it makes you feel better go for it but it's a better fit for griz band wagon fans who have no background anyway.
:lol:

It's been around for the last 10 yrs.

That's pretty good stuff. :thumb:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

∞∞∞ wrote:JMU-ODU

:coffee:
This thread is about men's sports. Football, to be even more specific.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
tampajag
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: whooties
A.K.A.: hamburger pimp

Post by tampajag »

AZGrizFan wrote:
tampajag wrote: Bayou Classic attendance has been dropping but over the last 5 years the average is still 53K.
I believe Griz/sCat would draw 50k if there were a stadium large enough....
I wouldn't disagree with that, I'm know both teams have bigger fanbases than grambling does. :lol:
GAD
I am a fan of: Southern University

Post by GAD »

BigSkyFootball wrote:Montana State vs Montana is the best FCS rivalry, bar none. Take your pick on the best rivalry on any level:
USC vs UCLA, Michigan vs Ohio State, Florida vs Georgia, Harvard vs Yale, Texas vs Oklahoma, Alabama vs Auburn and my choice . . .Army vs. Navy
In a few major magazines I have seen Lehigh vs. Lafayette and Southern vs. Grambling ranked right there with the mojor FBS rivalries
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana Grizzlies
A.K.A.: Bill Brasky

Post by Ursus A. Horribilis »

GAD wrote:
BigSkyFootball wrote:Montana State vs Montana is the best FCS rivalry, bar none. Take your pick on the best rivalry on any level:
In a few major magazines I have seen Lehigh vs. Lafayette and Southern vs. Grambling ranked right there with the mojor FBS rivalries
UM/MSU has over 150 Satellite viewing parties that cover all 50 states. For not being nationally televised that's a hell of a rabid fan base for this game. There is really no other point of focus in the state for that week.

For us it really isn't about the pageantry, it's about THIS game.

I really can't give a lot of weight to the opinions of those magazines as I don't think they do much more than just give some props without really going and finding out for themselves but I have not been to the Lehigh/Layfayette game but I have seen the Grambling/Southern game and so forth and that really looks to be as much about the pomp & circumstance as anything else.

Course I could never see any other rivalry like I see the Griz/Cat rivalry as they just don't mean what this does to me so I ain't a good source either. :)
Grizo406
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UM, MSU, GSU, ASU
A.K.A.: A true ICON/HOF'er

Post by Grizo406 »

dbackjon wrote:Brawl of the Wild - Montana/Montana State
True dat', dback! :thumb:

Scrap your Cuba plans, come on back to Missoula this season and watch The Brawl! You'll be glad you did!

Cuba is always gonna' be there, but from the looks of things, this epic rivalry ain't always gonna' be here!
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

89Hen wrote:
93henfan wrote:Can't believe everyone's missed the elephant in the room:
I thought West Chester was our rival?

Beat me to it! :lol:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
tampajag
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: whooties
A.K.A.: hamburger pimp

Post by tampajag »

Ursus A. Horribilis wrote:
GAD wrote: In a few major magazines I have seen Lehigh vs. Lafayette and Southern vs. Grambling ranked right there with the mojor FBS rivalries
UM/MSU has over 150 Satellite viewing parties that cover all 50 states. For not being nationally televised that's a hell of a rabid fan base for this game. There is really no other point of focus in the state for that week.

For us it really isn't about the pageantry, it's about THIS game.

I really can't give a lot of weight to the opinions of those magazines as I don't think they do much more than just give some props without really going and finding out for themselves but I have not been to the Lehigh/Layfayette game but I have seen the Grambling/Southern game and so forth and that really looks to be as much about the pomp & circumstance as anything else.

Course I could never see any other rivalry like I see the Griz/Cat rivalry as they just don't mean what this does to me so I ain't a good source either. :)
It's hard to describe to an outside eye, yeah there's a lot of other activities that surround the game, but it all boils down to that Saturday at around 1 PM and seeing Grambling losing by 4 PM. Coaches lose their jobs over this game or get extensions. (I sure that happens in other rivalries as well) We were just fortunate to have two great minds in Eddie Robinson and Collie Nichloson push for something special. I'm not knocking anybody else's rivalry but it's something that must be witnessed to truly understand. I look at it this way if you don't feel like your rivalry isn't the sh*t then who will. :lol:
Yote53
I am a fan of: South Dakota

Post by Yote53 »

89Hen wrote:Top 5 in no order...

Harvard/Yale
Montana/Montana St
Grambling/Southern
Lehigh/Lafayette
NDSU/UND, SDSU/USD
NDSU/SDSU, UND/USD
Fixed it for you. As good as you guys think SDSU/NDSU it doesn't compare to the rivalries they have with their in-state brethren.

As for the UM/MSU game never going away, look what happened in the Dakotas. 100 year rivalries can be dispatched pretty quickly.
University of South Dakota, Sitting Bull Trophy winners: 1956, 59, 68, 71, 74, 76, 78, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 89, 95...Retired

BEAT THE SIOUX!!!
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

There are a lot of great rivalries across the country. But for the Dakotas it has to be the NDSU/SDSU Border Marker. There are some that would tear away at it like it was invented but the games have been going on for 100 years. This is no small deal. But what makes it great?

Both schools have been down the path of the "hated rival" deal. I know the history. A lot of it comes from shared experiences from the ancestors. I keep the history after all.

Both schools have, in the past, done what they could to defeat the other, to humiliate them, to destroy them. But now both have become brothers. They whale the shit out of each other on the field or the court but afterwards there doesn't seem to be any animosity. To me thats what makes it great.

I have to say I almost enjoy the games at SDSU more the games at NDSU. Its our chance to play them in their environment. To meet people and have a great time. Our stands were rocking last year at Caughlin. I saw friends there I hadnt seen in several years. We had a blast, but we lost. It was fun though and the SDSU fans couldn't have been more gracious. I hope the NDSU fans will leave the same impression after the big win in Fargo this year.
Dear Lord, We come before you and humbly ask you to grant our prayer for a veil of protection to be placed over Donald Trump. May your will be done. In Jesus name we pray. Amen
Yote53

Post by Yote53 »

Funny JBB, since the U's have been seperated from the SU's the South Dakota v North Dakota games have taken on the exact feelings you just described when discussing the NDSU/SDSU games. I'd say UND v USD is just as important, as heated, as fierce, and as stoked in history (over 100 years) and tradition as the Marker Game. While you guys have been playing for the Rock, the U's were fighting over conference titles and (D2) playoff berths. Now we've taken that to the next level and it is THE GAME on the schedule every year.

See you in Fargo this fall. The Yotes get to sink their teeth into both NoDak schools this season.
University of South Dakota, Sitting Bull Trophy winners: 1956, 59, 68, 71, 74, 76, 78, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 89, 95...Retired

BEAT THE SIOUX!!!
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

I would agree. The Jr. Bowl is important.
Dear Lord, We come before you and humbly ask you to grant our prayer for a veil of protection to be placed over Donald Trump. May your will be done. In Jesus name we pray. Amen
SloStang
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Cal Poly

Post by SloStang »

We all know the "REAL" universities in the Dakotas are the UXD's in both academics and athletics.
Yote53

Post by Yote53 »

JBB wrote:I would agree. The Jr. Bowl is important.
Jr, Bowl, haha. Straight from the SU talking points. How Jr. will it be when the Coyotes roll into Fargo and whip some Bison a**??? You two cowbell ringing schools go play for your "rock". Just remember we U's had a "real" rivalry with a "real" trophy for about half a century.

Dang political correctness. :ohno:

BEAT THE SIOUX!!!
SUUTbird
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Southern Utah
A.K.A.: SUU T-Birds

Post by SUUTbird »

Yote53 wrote:See you in Fargo this fall. The Yotes get to sink their teeth into both NoDak schools this season.
I am definitely rooting for the Yotes in that game, kick some Bison ass and represent the Great West! :thumb:
OL FU
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Furman

Post by OL FU »

I have said it before, the best rivalry is the one that your school participates in :nod:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

How cool is this site? How many people in the world can say they witnessed people from four colleges in the Dakotas get into an argument? This should be on NatGeo or TLC. They could have Jewel do the soundtrack. She's from the Dakotas, right?
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-