WORLD CUP 2010

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
YoUDeeMan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Fleecing the Stupid
A.K.A.: Delaware Homie

Re: WORLD CUP 2010

Post by YoUDeeMan »

BlueHen86 wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:Disappointing snoozefest.

Too many fouls and too much diving (as usual). Not the way I wanted to see things end. :|
The ref was horrible. He lets a play go on for several seconds and then gives a yellow when the actor er... I mean player stays on the pitch. If it was a foul he should have called it immediately.

Ref's like him are the reason that players flop and stay on the ground: it works.
That call was particularly offensive. :nod:

If I am a ref, here are some of my rules:

If you go down and you "show a lot of pain", then you better farking stay down for quite some time or I will call your bluff and red card you. And when you get up, you better limp around the field for at least 5-10 minutes during live play and not get creatively involved in any play - essentially taking your team down to 10 men for a bit due to your injury, because if you suddenly "recover" from the agony, I'm going to red card you.

One more thing, if you ask me to give another player a card, I will give you one.

Then again, FIFA loves the controversy of the bad calls so I would be thrown out of the league pretty quickly for exposing their stars as the cry baby sissies they really are.
These signatures have a 500 character limit?

What if I have more personalities than that?
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
TigerStripe wrote:Spain takes a 1-0 lead in extra time.
I was really looking forward to the penalty kick shootout too. :(
Why? Terrible way to end a game, especially a WC final. :nod:
BlueHen86
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: The McManus Brothers
A.K.A.: Duffman

Post by BlueHen86 »

Cluck U wrote:
BlueHen86 wrote:
The ref was horrible. He lets a play go on for several seconds and then gives a yellow when the actor er... I mean player stays on the pitch. If it was a foul he should have called it immediately.

Ref's like him are the reason that players flop and stay on the ground: it works.
That call was particularly offensive. :nod:

If I am a ref, here are some of my rules:

If you go down and you "show a lot of pain", then you better farking stay down for quite some time or I will call your bluff and red card you. And when you get up, you better limp around the field for at least 5-10 minutes during live play and not get creatively involved in any play - essentially taking your team down to 10 men for a bit due to your injury, because if you suddenly "recover" from the agony, I'm going to red card you.

One more thing, if you ask me to give another player a card, I will give you one.

Then again, FIFA loves the controversy of the bad calls so I would be thrown out of the league pretty quickly for exposing their stars as the cry baby sissies they really are.
You'd be my kind of ref. :thumb:
BlueHen86
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BlueHen86 »

Grizalltheway wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
Why? Terrible way to end a game, especially a WC final. :nod:
I agree. They are exciting, but not the way a world championship should be decided - except, of course, the World Penalty Kick Championships. :lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Well soccer, it was fun while it lasted. I'll be caring/watching you again in about 4 years. :coffee:
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

SDHornet wrote:Well soccer, it was fun while it lasted. I'll be caring/watching you again in about 4 years. :coffee:
Don't let the door hit ya'... :kisswink:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Grizalltheway wrote:
SDHornet wrote:Well soccer, it was fun while it lasted. I'll be caring/watching you again in about 4 years. :coffee:
Don't let the door hit ya'... :kisswink:
I won't. :mrgreen:
Rob Iola
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Lurking

Post by Rob Iola »

BlueHen86 wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:Disappointing snoozefest.

Too many fouls and too much diving (as usual). Not the way I wanted to see things end. :|

You guys completely miss the point - gotta treat this almost like it's wrestling - competed on reasonably honest terms at the amateur/school levels, and then becomes a big acting job at the professional levels, complete with blind refs. Now they just need to work in some soap opera story lines...
Proletarians of the world, unite!
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

The Germany-Uraguay game mas much better then yesterdays snooze-a-thon. It was like Spain and Netherlands were both playing to not lose.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
YoUDeeMan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Fleecing the Stupid
A.K.A.: Delaware Homie

Post by YoUDeeMan »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
Huh?

Soccer has some issues...a world championship decided on penalty kicks sucks.

How about if the NBA Championship were decided with the teams taking 5 free throws after two overtimes?

Soccer should play the 2 regular overtimes and then drop to 7 or 9 players for 5 minute overtimes until the game is decided. The reduced number of players would certainly open things up and teams would need to display their depth. Perhaps you could add one additional substitution for each additional overtime.

Almost anything would be better than the pernaly kicks.
These signatures have a 500 character limit?

What if I have more personalities than that?
griz8791
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by griz8791 »

Cluck U wrote:If I am a ref, here are some of my rules:

:notworthy: Good post.
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

+1

And GATW, I will let the door hit my ass on the way out, just so I can fall to the ground and grab my leg, writhing in pain. :D
BlueHen86
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BlueHen86 »

Cluck U wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
Huh?

Soccer has some issues...a world championship decided on penalty kicks sucks.

How about if the NBA Championship were decided with the teams taking 5 free throws after two overtimes?

Soccer should play the 2 regular overtimes and then drop to 7 or 9 players for 5 minute overtimes until the game is decided. The reduced number of players would certainly open things up and teams would need to display their depth. Perhaps you could add one additional substitution for each additional overtime.

Almost anything would be better than the pernaly kicks.
Drop to 7 or 9 players and get rid of offsides.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
+1

And GATW, I will almost let the door hit my ass on the way out, just so I can fall to the ground and grab my leg, writhing in pain. :D
FIFY :mrgreen:

My wife, who played soccer in college, walked in and thought the end of the world was coming when she saw me sitting alone willingly watching the game yesterday. Her first question was WTF is that noise? Her second question was WTF is a vuvuvzela? :lol: Her third question was what was that guy writhing in pain? She couldn't believe the yellow cards that were being tossed around from overacting.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
DukeJack
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: JMU, NAU
A.K.A.: 08Duke

Post by DukeJack »

Well when this isn't a straight red:

what the hell is going to get called? I'm not saying it's justified, but the Spanish players weren't going anywhere near the Dutch after that.

Also, in a more somber note, Paul the Octopus was given his own WC trophy after going 8 for 8, and is now retired.

The English are claiming him since he was born there he should retire there, but the Italians think he was caught in Italian waters so he's theirs, the French say he was caught off Elba so he's theirs, and the Spanish have given him political asylum.

Europeans are fucking retarded.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/Discov ... hip-begins
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
+1

And GATW, I will let the door hit my ass on the way out, just so I can fall to the ground and grab my leg, writhing in pain. :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

DukeJack wrote: The English are claiming him since he was born there he should retire there, but the Italians think he was caught in Italian waters so he's theirs, the French say he was caught off Elba so he's theirs, and the Spanish have given him political asylum.

Europeans are **** retarded.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/Discov ... hip-begins
Wasn't one of the World Wars started over something along these lines? :lol:
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

:lol:
EPJr
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: VCU/A-10
A.K.A.: BigE

2010 World Cup rankings

Post by EPJr »

Fifa's rankings take into account group stage results, progress in the competition and the quality of opposition. The top four rankings mirrored the final positions in the tournament.

Fifa 2010 World Cup standings:

1 Spain,
2 Netherlands,
3 Germany,
4 Uruguay,
5 Argentina,
6 Brazil,
7 Ghana,
8 Paraguay
9 Japan,
10 Chile,
11 Portugal,
12 United States,
13 England,
14 Mexico,
15 South Korea,
16 Slovakia
17 Ivory Coast,
18 Slovenia,
19 Switzerland,
20 South Africa,
21 Australia,
22 New Zealand,
23 Serbia,
24 Denmark
25 Greece,
26 Italy,
27 Nigeria,
28 Algeria,
29 France,
30 Honduras,
31 Cameroon,
32 North Korea

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 814195.stm
http://www.a10talk.com/forums/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.basketballforum.com/atlantic-10-conference/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/Atlantic10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://twitter.com/atlantic10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rob Iola
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Lurking

Re: 2010 World Cup rankings

Post by Rob Iola »

EPJr wrote:Fifa's rankings take into account group stage results, progress in the competition and the quality of opposition. The top four rankings mirrored the final positions in the tournament.

1 Spain,
2 Netherlands,
3 Germany,
4 Uruguay,
5 Argentina,
6 Brazil,
7 Ghana,
8 Paraguay
9 Japan,
10 Chile,
11 Portugal,
12 United States,
13 England,
14 Mexico,
15 South Korea,
16 Slovakia
17 Ivory Coast,
18 Slovenia,
19 Switzerland,
20 South Africa,
21 Australia,
22 New Zealand,
23 Serbia,
24 Denmark
25 Greece,
26 Italy,
27 Nigeria,
28 Algeria,
29 France,
30 Honduras,
31 Cameroon,
32 North Korea

Well I guess it goes without saying that results matter, but IMHO Italy, Nigeria, France, and even Greece are ranked way too low here. Are we ranking the actual side that took the field in the most recent match or are we talking about the overall national team program?
Proletarians of the world, unite!
BlueHen86
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BlueHen86 »

Rob Iola wrote:
EPJr wrote:Fifa's rankings take into account group stage results, progress in the competition and the quality of opposition. The top four rankings mirrored the final positions in the tournament.

1 Spain,
2 Netherlands,
3 Germany,
4 Uruguay,
5 Argentina,
6 Brazil,
7 Ghana,
8 Paraguay
9 Japan,
10 Chile,
11 Portugal,
12 United States,
13 England,
14 Mexico,
15 South Korea,
16 Slovakia
17 Ivory Coast,
18 Slovenia,
19 Switzerland,
20 South Africa,
21 Australia,
22 New Zealand,
23 Serbia,
24 Denmark
25 Greece,
26 Italy,
27 Nigeria,
28 Algeria,
29 France,
30 Honduras,
31 Cameroon,
32 North Korea

Well I guess it goes without saying that results matter, but IMHO Italy, Nigeria, France, and even Greece are ranked way too low here. Are we ranking the actual side that took the field in the most recent match or are we talking about the overall national team program?
I think France is about right. If it weren't for a handball they might not have even qualified for the WC, and then they completely sucked when they got there. Right now I don't know if they would beat any of the teams ranked ahead of them.

Brazil should be higher, maybe as high as third, but definetly ahead of Argentina.
bandl
Towson
Towson

Post by bandl »

Rob Iola wrote:

1 Spain,
2 Netherlands,
3 Germany,
4 Uruguay,
5 Argentina,
6 Brazil,
7 Ghana,
8 Paraguay
9 Japan,
10 Chile,
11 Portugal,
12 United States,
13 England,
14 Mexico,
15 South Korea,
16 Slovakia
17 Ivory Coast,
18 Slovenia,
19 Switzerland,
20 South Africa,
21 Australia,
22 New Zealand,
23 Serbia,
24 Denmark
25 Greece,
26 Italy,
27 Nigeria,
28 Algeria,
29 France,
30 Honduras,
31 Cameroon,
32 North Korea

This is based only on the World Cup games and their results.
bandl
Towson
Towson

Post by bandl »

BlueHen86 wrote:
Rob Iola wrote: Well I guess it goes without saying that results matter, but IMHO Italy, Nigeria, France, and even Greece are ranked way too low here. Are we ranking the actual side that took the field in the most recent match or are we talking about the overall national team program?
I think France is about right. If it weren't for a handball they might not have even qualified for the WC, and then they completely sucked when they got there. Right now I don't know if they would beat any of the teams ranked ahead of them.

Brazil should be higher, maybe as high as third, but definetly ahead of Argentina.
Brazil was knocked out in the quarters, so their highest possible ranking would be #5.
The top 4 are self-explanatory based on final game and the third place game.
Ranks #5-#8 are quarterfinalists
Ranks #9-#16 are knockout finalists
Ranks #17-#32 are teams that didn't make it out of the group stage
Etc, etc. etc.