What do yall think of the playoff bracket?

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
SFA Fan!!!
I am a fan of: Stephen F. Austin
A.K.A.: SFA Jacks

What do yall think of the playoff bracket?

Post by SFA Fan!!! »

Ok, Me being a SFA fan i really didn't like the way the playoff seeding went down... Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to be playing the defending N. Champs Villanova, but i just think the whole thing is set up for certain teams to face each other for Primetime match ups. I can only speak for SFA, how can a team who have been ranked inside the top 10 throughout the entire season and just last week was ranked 5th in the SN polls ad two of the four teams in front of us loose final week of the season and for some reason we do not end up being seeded??? :thumbdown: I mean i watched the Special on ESPNU and one of their analyst said that "they know App St lose but it does not count against them because it was to a FBS team...Are You Serious??? If that's the case, We should of never dropped when we lose our FBS game against Texas A&M by a similar score App St lose to Florida, & to mention the aggies are in the top 25 Florida isn't. I have alot of respect for App St, but couple weeks ago when they lost to Georgia Southern they dropped from #1 to #3, and now they lose again and jump to #1 and have home field advantage throughout the playoffs? Also i feel bad for the 10-1 teams that didn't get in... I mean we have a 6-5 team in this tourney but a 10-1 team couldn't get in... Good Seasons Dayton & Jacksonville! You both deserve spots in the tourney. Also Good Luck to everyone in the tournament.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: What do yall think of the playoff bracket?

Post by clenz »

I should have known better than to expect more from this post before I opened it.
bandl
Towson
Towson

Post by bandl »

I'M EXCITED!!!

HEY, PASS THE COCAINE!!!
SFA Fan!!!

Post by SFA Fan!!! »

clenz wrote:I should have known better than to expect more from this post before I opened it.
NEXT TIME, DONT OPEN IT... SUCKA!!! :D
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

They didn't say they only ignored App's loss to Florida. They ignored everyone's FBS loss. They ignored your loss to Texas A&M.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
SFA Fan!!!

Post by SFA Fan!!! »

Skjellyfetti wrote:They didn't say they only ignored App's loss to Florida. They ignored everyone's FBS loss. They ignored your loss to Texas A&M.
Your Incorrect, If Thats the case why did all teams drop in the polls when they lost to a FBS opponent... I mean hell, William & Mary lost to UNC 21-17 and they dropped? So why didnt App State? I guess everyone should try to schedule FBS opponents the last game of the season then...Right?
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

SFA Fan!!! wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:They didn't say they only ignored App's loss to Florida. They ignored everyone's FBS loss. They ignored your loss to Texas A&M.
Your Incorrect, If Thats the case why did all teams drop in the polls when they lost to a FBS opponent... I mean hell, William & Mary lost to UNC 21-17 and they dropped? So why didnt App State? I guess everyone should try to schedule FBS opponents the last game of the season then...Right?
Human polls don't determine seeds.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

SFA Fan!!! wrote:
You're talking about polls. I'm talking about the playoff committee.

They said they didn't look at any external polls. They said they didn't look at any FBS losses.
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
SouthDakotaGrizzly
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by SouthDakotaGrizzly »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
SFA Fan!!! wrote: Your Incorrect, If Thats the case why did all teams drop in the polls when they lost to a FBS opponent... I mean hell, William & Mary lost to UNC 21-17 and they dropped? So why didnt App State? I guess everyone should try to schedule FBS opponents the last game of the season then...Right?

They said they didn't look at any external polls. They said they didn't look at any FBS losses.
Obviously they didn't look at any external polls because those don't come out until today and the selections are made on Saturday evening. Eastern Washington is #1 in the new TSN poll, but got a #5 seed in the playoffs. MSU is #6 in the poll but #4 in the playoffs. And NDSU, #25 in the poll, got in ahead of Montana, who is #15 (that's what 7 D1 wins will do for ya). Obviously, the committee has their own criteria.
FIRST DOWN.....MMMMOOOONNNNTTTTAAAANNNNAAAA!!!!

SFA Fan!!!

Post by SFA Fan!!! »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
SFA Fan!!! wrote: Your Incorrect, If Thats the case why did all teams drop in the polls when they lost to a FBS opponent... I mean hell, William & Mary lost to UNC 21-17 and they dropped? So why didnt App State? I guess everyone should try to schedule FBS opponents the last game of the season then...Right?

Ok, Well If Thats The Case, What Do The Playoff Committee Go Off Of Then? If Not The Polls!
DSUrocks07
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Delaware State
A.K.A.: phillywild305

Post by DSUrocks07 »

[youtube][/youtube]
MEAC, last one out turn off the lights.

@phillywild305 FB
mcveyrl
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: mcveyrl

Post by mcveyrl »

SFA Fan!!! wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:

Ok, Well If Thats The Case, What Do The Playoff Committee Go Off Of Then? If Not The Polls!

Is this the name of a book? Sounds like a real page turner.
UNHWildCats
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: New Hampshire
A.K.A.: UNHWildCats

Post by UNHWildCats »

SFA Fan!!! wrote:Ok, Me being a SFA fan i really didn't like the way the playoff seeding went down... Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to be playing the defending N. Champs Villanova, but i just think the whole thing is set up for certain teams to face each other for Primetime match ups. I can only speak for SFA, how can a team who have been ranked inside the top 10 throughout the entire season and just last week was ranked 5th in the SN polls ad two of the four teams in front of us loose final week of the season and for some reason we do not end up being seeded??? :thumbdown: I mean i watched the Special on ESPNU and one of their analyst said that "they know App St lose but it does not count against them because it was to a FBS team...Are You Serious??? If that's the case, We should of never dropped when we lose our FBS game against Texas A&M by a similar score App St lose to Florida, & to mention the aggies are in the top 25 Florida isn't. I have alot of respect for App St, but couple weeks ago when they lost to Georgia Southern they dropped from #1 to #3, and now they lose again and jump to #1 and have home field advantage throughout the playoffs? Also i feel bad for the 10-1 teams that didn't get in... I mean we have a 6-5 team in this tourney but a 10-1 team couldn't get in... Good Seasons Dayton & Jacksonville! You both deserve spots in the tourney. Also Good Luck to everyone in the tournament.
Appalachian State, Delaware, William & Mary, Montana State and Eastern Washington play in tough competitive conferences... SFA plays in a conference that only had one team playoff eligible... Seeding advantage to the 5 seeded teams.

The determination of seeds is not based on what a team did last week or the week before, but as a whole of the season from week 1 through week 12.

SFA does not have a single win that stands out as anywhere near as impressive as the teams who were seeded aside from Eastern Washington. EWU beat Montana as its most impressive win compared to SFA beating UNI... kind of a wash, EWU had better losses, to an FBS and conference champion where as SFA lost to last place Texas State.

That is why SFA is not seeded and the other 5 teams are... Had nothing to do with inside politics or stacking the bracket to force wanted matchups.

Also perhaps breaking up your thoughts a but instead of leaving it in one large clump... really makes for difficult reading.
UNHWildCats
Level4
Level4

Post by UNHWildCats »

Skjellyfetti wrote:

the use the Sports Network and Coaches Poll along with the modified GPI as part of the process of selecting the field.
UNHWildCats
Level4
Level4

Post by UNHWildCats »

SouthDakotaGrizzly wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:

Obviously they didn't look at any external polls because those don't come out until today and the selections are made on Saturday evening. Eastern Washington is #1 in the new TSN poll, but got a #5 seed in the playoffs. MSU is #6 in the poll but #4 in the playoffs. And NDSU, #25 in the poll, got in ahead of Montana, who is #15 (that's what 7 D1 wins will do for ya). Obviously, the committee has their own criteria.
the committee knew very well who was #1 in the polls... but that doesnt mean that team deserves the #1 seed. Polls fluctuate as the season progresses and in reality show what team has done recently... where as seeds are based one the whole of a season. Regardless of what EWU did recently and having the #1 poll ranking, its hard to argue against App State as the #1 seed. Tougher conference schedule than EWU... both had a FBS loss and both lost to a playoff team... App State had a much closer loss in that game where as Montana State mauled Eastern Washington.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

UNHWildCats wrote: the use the Sports Network and Coaches Poll along with the modified GPI as part of the process of selecting the field.
The committee did not use the GPI - or any other external polls - to select, pair or seed any of the championship teams.
http://www.ncaa.com/chat/111710aaa.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
UNHWildCats
Level4
Level4

Post by UNHWildCats »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
UNHWildCats wrote: the use the Sports Network and Coaches Poll along with the modified GPI as part of the process of selecting the field.
The committee did not use the GPI - or any other external polls - to select, pair or seed any of the championship teams.
http://www.ncaa.com/chat/111710aaa.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
your right... sorry.. the polls and modified GPI are used to determine if a team such as a Pioneer team is eligible for automatic selection.

6. For those conferences that qualify for automatic qualification but do not receive it, a guaranteed at-large position shall be awarded in any year in which its conference champion team meets all of the following conditions:
a. Team wins a minimum of eight Division I games during the season;
b. Team wins a minimum of two non-conference games against Division I teams
representing a conference that has earned an automatic qualification in that year;
and
c. Team finishes the season ranked 20 or higher in an average of the last regularseason
media, coaches and/or computer polls (which will be determined by the
committee on an annual basis). For 2010, the media poll will be the Sports
Network Poll, the coaches poll will be the FCS Coaches poll and the computer
poll will be a variation of the Gridiron Power Index – using only the following
computer rankings: The Massey Ratings, Wolfe Rankings, Ashburn Rankings,
Self Rankings and the Laz Index.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Like many, I'm not thrilled with those chosen. But everyone knows I wanted Liberty in. Others probably saw my issues with the BSC teams getting stuck in the same quadrant and Delaware's precipitous drop. On to my OTHER issue with the bracket.

That's the structure. I really dislike seeding only a portion of the field and leaving the rest essentially to a lottery. Seed EVERYONE.

In your opinion, given the same group of teams, would seeding everyone have affected the arrangement? Would seeding everyone have changed who got in? How would a 2- or 4-region set-up have affected this?

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
ttgwm02
I am a fan of: William and Mary

Post by ttgwm02 »

Honestly, I think that if anyone got screwed, it was SFA. Yes, they play in a weak conference, but Villanova is far better than they are placed in the tournament. SFA will be running into a buzz saw, particularly with Szczur having two more weeks to get healthy. If he is even 80 percent, he'll be the best player they've seen all year.

I also think the bottom side of the 1-4 bracket was done geographically. Montana State and EWU both have pretty good shots at winning their first round games, I cannot say the same for SFA. That game will be good test for the caliber of football in SFA's conference v. the CAA. Honestly, MSU and EWU both should be praising the FCS gods. Neither team faces a CAA team at all unless Nova beats Ap State. I think if you swap SE Missouri with New Hampshire, you have a better overall bracket AND you give EWU a REAL test.

Havent seen Wofford, but i have watched JSU a few times and I think JSU is nowhere near a bye week team. They are getting a LOT of mileage out of that Ole Miss win. I can see Wofford winning this game. W+M hasnt seen a triple option all year, so GSU would be an interesting match up.

For some reason, I think the team with the hardest road to the final 4 is the #1 seed Ap State. The presence of Villanova out there - if Szczur continues to get healthy, means they will have to again (like Richmond last year) beat the defending national champions to get to the semi finals; while WM and Delaware are playing teams from less competitive conferences than the CAA until the semi finals.
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

I would've LOVED for them to send UNH or Nova across the country to EWU for that second round game. If their players are only a fraction as arrogant as you are about the superiority of the CAA to the top teams in the BSC, they would be blown out after having to travel across 3 times zones. :nod:
ttgwm02
I am a fan of: William and Mary

Post by ttgwm02 »

The time zone argument is valid. It isnt arrogant to state that UNH and Nova are two of the top ten teams in the country and both have played brutal schedules and made the playoffs. And neither team is arrogant. CAA teams dont get through their schedule by being arrogant.
FWJack
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: SFA Lumberjacks

Post by FWJack »

UNHWildCats wrote:
SFA Fan!!! wrote:Ok, Me being a SFA fan i really didn't like the way the playoff seeding went down... Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to be playing the defending N. Champs Villanova, but i just think the whole thing is set up for certain teams to face each other for Primetime match ups. I can only speak for SFA, how can a team who have been ranked inside the top 10 throughout the entire season and just last week was ranked 5th in the SN polls ad two of the four teams in front of us loose final week of the season and for some reason we do not end up being seeded??? :thumbdown: I mean i watched the Special on ESPNU and one of their analyst said that "they know App St lose but it does not count against them because it was to a FBS team...Are You Serious??? If that's the case, We should of never dropped when we lose our FBS game against Texas A&M by a similar score App St lose to Florida, & to mention the aggies are in the top 25 Florida isn't. I have alot of respect for App St, but couple weeks ago when they lost to Georgia Southern they dropped from #1 to #3, and now they lose again and jump to #1 and have home field advantage throughout the playoffs? Also i feel bad for the 10-1 teams that didn't get in... I mean we have a 6-5 team in this tourney but a 10-1 team couldn't get in... Good Seasons Dayton & Jacksonville! You both deserve spots in the tourney. Also Good Luck to everyone in the tournament.
Appalachian State, Delaware, William & Mary, Montana State and Eastern Washington play in tough competitive conferences... SFA plays in a conference that only had one team playoff eligible... Seeding advantage to the 5 seeded teams.

The determination of seeds is not based on what a team did last week or the week before, but as a whole of the season from week 1 through week 12.

SFA does not have a single win that stands out as anywhere near as impressive as the teams who were seeded aside from Eastern Washington. EWU beat Montana as its most impressive win compared to SFA beating UNI... kind of a wash, EWU had better losses, to an FBS and conference champion where as SFA lost to last place Texas State.

That is why SFA is not seeded and the other 5 teams are... Had nothing to do with inside politics or stacking the bracket to force wanted matchups.

Also perhaps breaking up your thoughts a but instead of leaving it in one large clump... really makes for difficult reading.
I have to disagree here. One is a playoff team the other is not, one is a conference champion the other was not, SFA went on the road to get their win, EWU did not.

Nothing against EWU here, I don't have much else to debate that SFA deserved the bid over them. Just that you could have cut this thing a lot of different ways for a lot of different reasons. Regardless, I'm ok with this bracket, we get to play the defending national champ and if we get past them we get to go to App St. Two great teams to be able to experience.
UNHWildCats
Level4
Level4

Post by UNHWildCats »

FWJack wrote:
UNHWildCats wrote: Appalachian State, Delaware, William & Mary, Montana State and Eastern Washington play in tough competitive conferences... SFA plays in a conference that only had one team playoff eligible... Seeding advantage to the 5 seeded teams.

I have to disagree here. One is a playoff team the other is not, one is a conference champion the other was not, SFA went on the road to get their win, EWU did not.

Nothing against EWU here, I don't have much else to debate that SFA deserved the bid over them. Just that you could have cut this thing a lot of different ways for a lot of different reasons. Regardless, I'm ok with this bracket, we get to play the defending national champ and if we get past them we get to go to App St. Two great teams to be able to experience.
Montana went 7-4, Northern Iowa went 7-4

Montana lost its 4 games by a smaller margin than UNI. Montana lost its conference games by the same margin as UNI despite having 1 more conference loss.

To simply say you cant compare the two teams because one is a playoff team and the other isnt is complete garbage. Two seasons ago the New England Patriots posted the same record as theMiami Dolphins, but due to tie breakers the Patriots didnt make the playoffs... does that mean the Patriots werent as good as them... does that mean we cant compare the two teams as opponents for someone else?
FWJack
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: SFA Lumberjacks

Post by FWJack »

UNHWildCats wrote:
FWJack wrote:

Montana went 7-4, Northern Iowa went 7-4

Montana lost its 4 games by a smaller margin than UNI. Montana lost its conference games by the same margin as UNI despite having 1 more conference loss.

To simply say you cant compare the two teams because one is a playoff team and the other isnt is complete garbage. Two seasons ago the New England Patriots posted the same record as theMiami Dolphins, but due to tie breakers the Patriots didnt make the playoffs... does that mean the Patriots werent as good as them... does that mean we cant compare the two teams as opponents for someone else?
Well to put it simply, thats not all I said. I also pointed out the UNI is a conference champion and Montana is not, also SFA went on the road. Some pretty valid points, not the only ones, but still valid ones.
BlueHen86
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: The McManus Brothers
A.K.A.: Duffman

Post by BlueHen86 »

SFA Fan!!! wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:

Are you serious? If the intent was to use the polls, there would be no need for a playoff committee, just wait for the polls to come out and use them.

The playoff committee uses the same info that the pollsters are supposed to use, only they discuss it as a group and hopefully make a more informed decision.