Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: poontang
A.K.A.: Rainman

Re: Charlotte declines full CAA membership, wants football-o

Post by Fresno St. Alum »

dbackjon wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote: That's longer than NAU! If you can't win a fair fight kick him in the nuts :lol:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I might add that the Summit only has 11 bids. Clearly, Big Sky is 4 times better than the Summit
The A10 might have more bids if you add WVU, Rutgers, VT and Penn St. who were all A10 members.

Plus how many have Hofstra, N'eastern got since being in the CAA. None. So it works more to CAA's benefit than it does A10.

Hey, I think the Big Sky is better. But ORU and Oakland have done such a great job in the tourney it puts the Sky to shame :roll:
collegesportsinfo
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: UMass
A.K.A.: Quinn, KingCal

Post by collegesportsinfo »

Ok, wow, I just skimmed over these posts here. What the F' happened to the nice discussion about Charlotte and CAA football?

Director's cup standings? If you're going to discuss/debate the basketball product (i.e. the REVENUE product), then one can't retreat back from the hard facts about basketball into the refuge of "directors cup standings". Come on now. Those secondary sports are fine to have, but if GA St. has a strong feltching team this year and gets directors cup points and Duquesne has a bad year in ring-around-the-rosy league play, it means diddlely-poo.

Look, the numbers are what they are. The A10 has had a much higher RPI since Mason made the Final Four, with this year one of the worst A10 years and THE best CAA year, yet the A10 was still higher (and the A10 has Fordham in it!). The CAA has had 3 at-large bids since the Mason Final four to the A10's 10 at-large bids. And the A10 has the CBS TV contract while the CAA has regional cable games. I'm happy for VCU and their fans. And I'm happy for the piggybacking CAA fans. Enjoy the week, enjoy the tourney and all the buzz. But it would be great if at some time, there could be a discussion on the forums where CAA fans just take a step back, enjoy themselves, but still embrace the reality. Be happy, but be realistic. I'm not trying to rain on any parades, and my apologies if it's taken that way. But really, facts are facts. Doesn't take away from the entertainment that is college basketball.

Especially since this thread was supposed to be about Charlotte and CAA football membership since they have made it clear they are not interested in full CAA membership.

89hen, you want Albany? I'm very surprised to see that. Especially when Stony Brook is making a real commitment and is a closer drive for UD road games. In the perfect world, I'd rather see Hofstra and Stonybrook swap spots right now...and swap NU for Albany...one step closer to your "all-sports" dream scenario.
- Quinn

CollegeSportsInfo.com:
NCAA Message Board Directory, Conference Realignment Forums & Expansion News

dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

I might add that the Summit only has 11 bids. Clearly, Big Sky is 4 times better than the Summit
The A10 might have more bids if you add WVU, Rutgers, VT and Penn St. who were all A10 members.

Plus how many have Hofstra, N'eastern got since being in the CAA. None. So it works more to CAA's benefit than it does A10.

Hey, I think the Big Sky is better. But ORU and Oakland have done such a great job in the tourney it puts the Sky to shame :roll:
True on the current lineup...

And huh on the rest. Current summit members have to NCAA wins other than a play in win since the 70's.
:thumb:
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3

collegesportsinfo wrote:Ok, wow, I just skimmed over these posts here. What the F' happened to the nice discussion about Charlotte and CAA football?

Director's cup standings? If you're going to discuss/debate the basketball product (i.e. the REVENUE product), then one can't retreat back from the hard facts about basketball into the refuge of "directors cup standings". Come on now. Those secondary sports are fine to have, but if GA St. has a strong feltching team this year and gets directors cup points and Duquesne has a bad year in ring-around-the-rosy league play, it means diddlely-poo.

Look, the numbers are what they are. The A10 has had a much higher RPI since Mason made the Final Four, with this year one of the worst A10 years and THE best CAA year, yet the A10 was still higher (and the A10 has Fordham in it!). The CAA has had 3 at-large bids since the Mason Final four to the A10's 10 at-large bids. And the A10 has the CBS TV contract while the CAA has regional cable games. I'm happy for VCU and their fans. And I'm happy for the piggybacking CAA fans. Enjoy the week, enjoy the tourney and all the buzz. But it would be great if at some time, there could be a discussion on the forums where CAA fans just take a step back, enjoy themselves, but still embrace the reality. Be happy, but be realistic. I'm not trying to rain on any parades, and my apologies if it's taken that way. But really, facts are facts. Doesn't take away from the entertainment that is college basketball.

Especially since this thread was supposed to be about Charlotte and CAA football membership since they have made it clear they are not interested in full CAA membership.

89hen, you want Albany? I'm very surprised to see that. Especially when Stony Brook is making a real commitment and is a closer drive for UD road games. In the perfect world, I'd rather see Hofstra and Stonybrook swap spots right now...and swap NU for Albany...one step closer to your "all-sports" dream scenario.
Hen's responses are like me responding with "so the Packers won the super bowl" Quinn The D-Cup(I thank you) is what got Nebraska in the B10 :roll:

Dback I forgot to add Delaware, Drexel, Towson, Georgia St. to Hofstra and N'eastern who have a combined 1 invite since joining the CAA. Hofstra in 2001 their first year.
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3

dbackjon wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

And huh on the rest. Current summit members have to NCAA wins other than a play in win since the 70's.
If you ask the avg. fan who knows nothing about anything but BCS conf. on Summit vs. Sky. Weber St. over N.Carolina is the only real win out of the 2 conf. making the Sky better in the eye of the avg. fan.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

If you ask the avg. fan who knows nothing about anything but BCS conf. on Summit vs. Sky. Weber St. over N.Carolina is the only real win out of the 2 conf. making the Sky better in the eye of the avg. fan.

That is the signature win recently. Avg fan would not associate (since they are gone, and the conference has a different name) Valpo's NCAA heroics with the Summit
:thumb:
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3

collegesportsinfo wrote:Ok, wow, I just skimmed over these posts here. What the F' happened to the nice discussion about Charlotte and CAA football?

They wanted to focus on when I pointed out that Richmond left. Not the part where Charlotte said no this year. Homers do that. They point out 2006 & 2011. I guess only the last 5 years matter in basketball if you're a CAA fan. Not money not the life of the contract, not exposure. I notice hen left once I posted the #s. You even debunked the last five year thing. CAA is a good conf. but I think they should use SoCon as their compare/contrast conf. where neither would be able to raid the other, as far as we've seen. Plus both have FCS football
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3

dbackjon wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote: If you ask the avg. fan who knows nothing about anything but BCS conf. on Summit vs. Sky. Weber St. over N.Carolina is the only real win out of the 2 conf. making the Sky better in the eye of the avg. fan.

That is the signature win recently. Avg fan would not associate (since they are gone, and the conference has a different name) Valpo's NCAA heroics with the Summit
That was 1998. 1999 more recent damnit. Plus Fla St. & Miss < UNC.!
collegesportsinfo
Level1
Level1

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

Yeah, that page could use a major tweak because schools/bids need to be added from a year by year basis.

But you'd need to review the NCAA tourney year by year and view schools by conference for that year if the source did not indicate. Because I'd venture that the only conference that would be correct for sure would be the Ivy. Every conference has had changes at some level, some dont' exist anymore, etc. A10 had VA Tech, Penn St., Rutgers and wVU, but also Pitt and their 15 appearances ;) It's like the electoral college.
- Quinn

CollegeSportsInfo.com:

Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3

collegesportsinfo wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

Yeah, that page could use a major tweak because schools/bids need to be added from a year by year basis.

But you'd need to review the NCAA tourney year by year and view schools by conference for that year if the source did not indicate. Because I'd venture that the only conference that would be correct for sure would be the Ivy. Every conference has had changes at some level, some dont' exist anymore, etc. A10 had VA Tech, Penn St., Rutgers and wVU, but also Pitt and their 15 appearances ;) It's like the electoral college.
I didn't make the page I just edit it along with one other guy. Some random fuckers mess it up by deleting tourney wins from Monmouth using big words like erroneous making it look like the should be right. Then I show them the score of the opening round game where they beat Hampton and show that the NCAA counts those as victories. I had to add it to the beginning of the article so they'd stop deleting an opening round win. Soon I'll have to move more schools over and add and subtract invites by conf. MWC gonna take a huge hit from UU, BYU being gone. WCC is gonna get an extra 26. :shock:
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: I'm sure if both disagree, this is exactly how the conversation would go:

Prez: "I want us to move to this new conference."
AD: "No, this is a bad move and I completely disagree."
Prez: "We need to make a decision fast."
AD: "I can't support this. Sorry."
Prez: "There's gonna be a nice little pay raise if you go along with my decision in public."
[pause]
AD: "I completely support your decision."
Prez:
Pretty much. The AD at UN-Omaha was behind the move to D-I and dropping football. It was his plan, he got the prez on board. The coaches were against it, obviously :lol: They are awaiting final approval from the UN board, if they haven't been approved already. My guess would be most ADs would be pushing for the "better" conf. they probably have to get the Prez on board more times than the other way. Just a guess though.
UNO was approved for D-I today. A formality really.

http://www.sify.com/news/nu-regents-ok- ... bacib.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Fresno St. Alum wrote:They wanted to focus on when I pointed out that Richmond left. Not the part where Charlotte said no this year. Homers do that. They point out 2006 & 2011. I guess only the last 5 years matter in basketball if you're a CAA fan. Not money not the life of the contract, not exposure. I notice hen left once I posted the #s. You even debunked the last five year thing. CAA is a good conf. but I think they should use SoCon as their compare/contrast conf. where neither would be able to raid the other, as far as we've seen. Plus both have FCS football
:lol: Yeah, sorry I went home at 6:30 for dinner. :roll:

Of course Charlotte said no, it would be a lateral move at best. Why move your sports from their home for an even, and I've admitted, a slightly lower dollar total? Your ENTIRE premise that has been disputed here is that YOU claim ANY CAA team would JUMP at an invite from the A10. Everyone is entitled to their OPINION, but it's FAR from FACT. Hopefully you finally understand. 8-)
GA St. MBB Fan
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Georgia State
A.K.A.: GSU Mens BB Fan

Post by GA St. MBB Fan »

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
collegesportsinfo wrote:
No man. 3 bids is what we expect and what seems to be the average. More than 3 is great, but 3 is in no way a disappointment almost any year.

But you're right about the CAA. George Mason has a historic run to the Final Four in 2008. But in 2009 and 2010, they got zero at-large bids, with both auto qualifiers getting 11 seeds. The CAA, just like any other conference on the outside of the BCS-6, need momentum. Success is gauged over time. And in time, if there is some momentum built, than there will be a reason for Charlotte to consider the CAA.

In the meantime, I think eventually, the CAA will extend a football-only invite to Charlotte. Just playing hardball now. But if UMass and Nova follow URI out, and the CAA needs football-only replacements, there are really only 3 options:

Charlotte: wants football-only, plans on upgrading to FBS eventually
Stony Brook: wants football only or all-sports, would jump at chance for football only invite
Fordham: wants schoolies, means out of Patriot, wants to remain in A10 for other sports...CAA best option

Others:
YSU: sure, CAA might want them for football only but would YSU leave the MVFC? doubtful.
App St: would need to be all sports but AD gone public ag. CAA, saying they'll only leave SoCon for FBS conference
GA St.: would need to be all-sports, but CAA not looking all-sports :shock:
Liberty: likely same boat...would need to be all sports CAA since Big South has football
Coastal Carolina: similar to Liberty

list can go on, but really you've got 3 candidates

Maine, UNH, Towson, Delaware, JMU, W&M, ODU, GA St
If youre comfortable at 8, it's all set. If you want 9-10, I see Fordham and Stonybrook as the best bets as you can try to schedule the 4 northern schools vs each other most years.
Georgia St. is a full member of the CAA. You know this :coffee:
Yeah. I was wondering about that too.
collegesportsinfo
Level1
Level1

I know it must be real hard to just post "I assume it was a mistype and you meant GSU or GA Southern". So I'll do it for you. Obviously, it was a mistype, and meant GSU/GA Southern.
- Quinn

CollegeSportsInfo.com:

GA St. MBB Fan
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Georgia State
A.K.A.: GSU Mens BB Fan

Post by GA St. MBB Fan »

collegesportsinfo wrote:I know it must be real hard to just post "I assume it was a mistype and you meant GSU or GA Southern". So I'll do it for you. Obviously, it was a mistype, and meant GSU/GA Southern.
Initially, I thought that's what it was. But then you stated it again, so I thought you were trying to make a point or imply something about GA State's status in the CAA (maybe referring to FBS or something).
odu1986
I am a fan of: Old Dominion

Post by odu1986 »

Time for me to chime in....

No Virginia CAA school would leave for the A-10 period. Most of us know a "gentlemens agreement" was made between all five schools that they would stay together. And thet happened right after Richmond unexpectedly split and almost came very close to killing the CAA.

As far as Charlotte is concerned, I think the revenue streams between the A10 and CAA have become close enough that you really need to look deeper than that. What is the added gate revenue from playing CAA Football ? And what is the impact on travel?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

odu1986 wrote:Time for me to chime in....

No Virginia CAA school would leave for the A-10 period. Most of us know a "gentlemens agreement" was made between all five schools that they would stay together. And thet happened right after Richmond unexpectedly split and almost came very close to killing the CAA.

As far as Charlotte is concerned, I think the revenue streams between the A10 and CAA have become close enough that you really need to look deeper than that. What is the added gate revenue from playing CAA Football ? And what is the impact on travel?
No, you're wrong. The mighty Quinn and Fresno have already said that any CAA team would absolutely accept an invite. You're really not even entitled to an opinion on this one. ;)
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

The "any CAA Virginia team" ship to the A-10 has sailed! If it doesn't involve football, then JMU and ODU won't even listen.......and VCU and George Mason aren't going anywhere now either. The CAA is now the best run non-BCS conference and it shows. No doubt that they have some pretty bad bottom feeders, but so do all of the other conferences. It's only a matter of time before things change, but it's gonna take a SOLID, fool-proof situation for ANYONE (all-sports members) to leave the CAA right now. :thumb:
Go Black Bears!
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3

89Hen wrote:
odu1986 wrote:Time for me to chime in....

No, you're wrong. The mighty Quinn and Fresno have already said that any CAA team would absolutely accept an invite. You're really not even entitled to an opinion on this one. ;)
I stand by that. It has happened before, but has not happened the other way around. You also had 2 leave for the Patriot. Forham left the PL for the A10. Am I wrong? Nope. But go ahead and post your little D-cup stats and all your little ratings that don't mean shit.
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3

mainejeff wrote:The "any CAA Virginia team" ship to the A-10 has sailed! If it doesn't involve football, then JMU and ODU won't even listen.......and VCU and George Mason aren't going anywhere now either. The CAA is now the best run non-BCS conference and it shows. No doubt that they have some pretty bad bottom feeders, but so do all of the other conferences. It's only a matter of time before things change, but it's gonna take a SOLID, fool-proof situation for ANYONE (all-sports members) to leave the CAA right now. :thumb:
No one is leaving, I think I've posted that 10 times on this thread. The A10 aint going to 15. So it's pointless. If a spot opened I'd bet Butler gets a call before any CAA. Even if any CAA school with football left for the A10 they could stay in CAA for football like Richmond.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Fresno St. Alum wrote:I stand by that. It has happened before, but has not happened the other way around. You also had 2 leave for the Patriot. Forham left the PL for the A10. Am I wrong? Nope. But go ahead and post your little D-cup stats and all your little ratings that don't mean shit.
You are entitled to your opinion, but teams leaving the CAA in the 1990's - 2001 is what doesn't mean shit.
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3

89Hen wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:I stand by that. It has happened before, but has not happened the other way around. You also had 2 leave for the Patriot. Forham left the PL for the A10. Am I wrong? Nope. But go ahead and post your little D-cup stats and all your little ratings that don't mean shit.
You are entitled to your opinion, but teams leaving the CAA in the 1990's - 2001 is what doesn't mean shit.
Okay, it was the 2000's. Charlotte was 2011 on the rejection But keep going you grumpy old fart. I like how you push aside that the money is better. More is more is it not. The was pre-CBSC deal so it's even more now.
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3

89Hen wrote:
Teams leaving the WAC in 1999 for the MWC didn't mean shit to the WAC until 2010, when happened again. Your slightly better comment doesn't hold water. Unless you're Nova, UConn who are BE members for all other sports. all moves up will only be slightly better than the previous conf. Montana can't go to the MWC w/o going to the WAC first. If they choose to stay in the sky because of money, etc. Going from the A-Sun to the Big South is a slight move up so Campbell did it.
Last edited by Fresno St. Alum on Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Fresno St. Alum wrote:Okay, it was the 2000's. Charlotte was 2011 on the rejection But keep going you grumpy old fart. I like how you push aside that the money is better. More is more is it not. The was pre-CBSC deal so it's even more now.
I suggest you go check out 93's thread about taking a job for more money. :coffee:
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3

89Hen wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:Okay, it was the 2000's. Charlotte was 2011 on the rejection But keep going you grumpy old fart. I like how you push aside that the money is better. More is more is it not. The was pre-CBSC deal so it's even more now.
I suggest you go check out 93's thread about taking a job for more money. :coffee:
I suggest you talk about Delaware football because you don't know shit about conf. movement. :nod: