Old Dominion Blue vs. White Spring Game.

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Monarchs, Gators, Huskies

Old Dominion Blue vs. White Spring Game.

Post by ODUalum11 »

Began Spring practice on Friday and had their 2nd practice Saturday morning.

[youtube][/youtube]

In-depth preview done by ODUsports.com...

http://www.odusports.com/sports/m-footb ... 11aaa.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Monarchs begin spring workouts ahead of CAA debut" By Rich Radford....

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/03/monarch ... -caa-debut" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"With dad at sea, recruit checks out ODU practice" By Rich Radford....

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/03/dad-sea ... u-practice" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ODUsports.com recap from the first two days...

http://www.odusports.com/sports/m-footb ... 11aab.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last edited by ODUalum11 on Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3

Re: Old Dominion Begins Spring Workouts...

Post by ODUalum11 »

ODU was supposed to have their 4th practice overall, 1st in full pads today but due to the bad weather had to cancel and reschedule for Sunday...here's a recap through the first 3 practices with video interview with head coach Bobby Wilder...

http://www.odusports.com/sports/m-footb ... 11aac.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
THE ALL-STAR TEAM:
The coaching staff is also taking a different approach to special teams this spring. The Monarch staff isn't using a traditional depth chart, but instead is using teams of offensive players and teams of defensive players with the idea that everyone gets to compete for a starting spot on special teams. In turn, it also allows for more reps for each Monarch.

"By doing that we're saying to everyone `you're on special teams.'," said Wilder. "Last year you might have been on the punt team, but not the punt block team. Now in essence you are staring on both, so you are always competing in practice. It goes back to our philosophy that our special teams is our all-star team - the best of everybody. We want our players to have a mindset that they want to start on special teams before I start on offense or defense."

"That's hard to do," continued Wilder, "because unless you are Jonathan Plisco or Jarod Brown, you were recruited here to play offense or defense. But this mindset has really started to take over on our team where they are thinking `ok, coach wants us to be really good at special teams and I want to compete to get on the field .'"

Wilder also noted it was a big philosophical shift in the team that the coaching staff was excited for.

"That's something we'll keep working on in the spring that's different," he said . "I've never done it before in coaching and neither has anyone on the staff anywhere else. Its something that's unique to what we're trying to do. "

TACKLE FOOTBALL:
Friday's practice will be the Monarchs first in full pads. The quarterbacks - Thomas DeMarco, Rashad Manley, & Nate Ong - who are usually in redshirts and off limits, will be live all spring long. ODU's signal callers will play in game-like situations where they can take off and run the ball, be sacked, or hit after they throw the ball. It also makes it more realistic for the offensive and defensive lines.

"In the past it hasn't been that way," said Wilder. "If Ronnie Cameron broke through for a sack, he'd have to go by the quarterback. It was hard for me, or whenever we had game officials, to know when to blow the whistle. Now, he's got to tackle the quarterback or make the quarterback escape and make a play on the run."

"Now when I'm the official, I may be a little quick on the whistle," quickly noted Wilder.

The only Monarchs you'll see in redshirts this spring will be the kickers and punters.

"That's because we're doing live work on special teams, which we've never done before," continued Wilder. "I've had to make it clear to the team that those guys are off limits."

Wilder also joked that he had to make it clear to his kicker and punters that they can't get in there and tackle anybody either.
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3

Post by ODUalum11 »

ODU will have their first open practice/scrimmage tomorrow at Foreman Field...

From the virginian pilot's Rich Radford...
Stiffle the yawns, Wilder expects some real hits
In the past couple of springs at Old Dominion, spring football was a yawner for a lot of fans.

The roster was thin enough and young enough that coach Bobby Wilder played a dumbed down version of football. Kickoffs? You gotta be kidding. Punts? Well, sure, Jonathan Plisco punted the ball, but there was no coverage team and no returning of punts.

Get ready for the change.

When the Monarchs take the field at Foreman Field today for its first officiated scrimmage (yes, there will be game officials throwing flags and such), the Monarchs will work on all phases of special teams and near full speed.

The Monarchs lost punt returner Monty Smalley when he withdrew from school in December, so they need to find a new punt returner.

"I don't want Aaron Evans returning his first live punt in our first game of the season against Campbell," Bobby Wilder said on the eve of ODU's first real scrimmage of 2011. "So we're going to kick it to him and he's going to catch it and try to return it."

* Hottest competition in spring camp has to be at wide receiver, where eight players are battling it out for three spots, four if the Monarchs decide to play with four receivers.

So far in practice, Prentice Gill has been a big target for all three quarterbacks in camp, Thomas DeMarco, Nate Ong and Rashad Manley.

But who's No. 1 on the depth chart at the three positions? Wilder said the depth chart isn't a fluid chart right now and changes are rapid to happen, but ...

Reid Evans, Marquel Thomas and red-shirted freshman Larry Pinkard are battling for one slot. Gill, red-shirted freshman Antonio Vaughan and Chris Lovitt are vying for the second receiver slot. And Nick Mayers and Dorian Jackson are bumping heads for the third.

How close is the competition?

"I wouldn't be surprised if any of the eight guys catches a touchdown pass on Saturday," Wilder said.

* John Darr has taken over the No. 1 slot at the backer position, one of ODU's three linebacker slots. Darr is the linebacker who tore up his knee three days into his first fall camp in 2009 and was red-shirted. He played some last year, but just now seems to be getting to where the coaching staff expected him to be. He has supplanted Mike Williams from nearby Norview High in what may be the tighest head-to-head competition on the team. Even Wilder said that Williams is playing well and looking good in workouts. Darr just looks a little better.
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3

Post by ODUalum11 »

Monarchs had their first of three controlled scrimmages at Foreman Field today. Here is a full recap from ODUsports.com with highlight and interview videos....

http://www.odusports.com/sports/m-footb ... 11aab.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Among the highlights of the offense's explosive first set included:

• The offense needing just four plays to reach the end zone following Colby Goodwyn's 50 yard kick return.
• Thomas DeMarco with a 30-yard pass to wide receiver Prenctice Gill followed by a lob to running back Angus Harper into the end zone.
• The PAT unit faked the extra point attempting a two-point conversion.
• After missing a field goal on fourth down, the offense punched back with Mario Crawford talking off down the left sideline and over the goal line.

The defense turned around to dominate the second set. Among the stops from the Monarch defenders:

• Corner J.C. Wiggins breaking up a pass intended for Marquel Thomas.
• Linebacker Rodney Hunter intercepting a pass intended for Chris Lovitt.
• On third down, Nate Ong launched a 30-yard pass to Thomas, but the drive ended on the next play as defensive end Alex Johnson recovered a fumble.
• Fellow linebacker Michael Williams and defensive end Edmon McClam, as well as defensive tackles Ronnie Cameron and Nate Barnes also recorded sacks.

On special teams, during live punt returns, Alex Arain came charging in to force Reid Evans to fumble. Aaron Evans picked up the ball and ran into the end zone.

Both the offense and defense took turns earning points during the third and fourth segments. Quarterback Rashad Manley showed his ability to run the ball when pressured and managed to connect with Antonio Vaughan on a few deep routes. Defensively, defensive end B.J. McLaughlin got into the mix with a sack and Paul Morant and T.J. Cowart both tipped passed, nearly getting the turnovers.
WAVY TV-10 in Norfolk covered the scrimmage as well so there is more highlights/recap to follow....
Last edited by ODUalum11 on Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Old Dominion Begins Spring Football Workouts...

Post by BDKJMU »

WTF is up with ODU's schedule? I see open on Sept 3rd, 11 straight games, no bye week, with last game Nov 12. Outside of the Ivy league who only plays 10 games, I don't know of anyone else who doesn't have have a game on Nov 19th. Looks like your AD f'ed up on that one.

Thats worse than JMU's 09' schedule, when had a "bye" the 1st weekend followed by 11 straight. That caused a lot of grumbling about our AD, but at least weren't done the season the 2nd Sat in Nov like ODU will be (well, it not like ODu is going to make the playoffs...).

A "bye" the 1st or last week of the season should be illegal...
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3

Post by ODUalum11 »

BDKJMU wrote:WTF is up with ODU's schedule? I see open on Sept 3rd, 11 straight games, no bye week, with last game Nov 12. Outside of the Ivy league who only plays 10 games, I don't know of anyone else who doesn't have have a game on Nov 19th. Looks like your AD f'ed up on that one.

Thats worse than JMU's 09' schedule, when had a "bye" the 1st weekend followed by 11 straight. That caused a lot of grumbling about our AD, but at least weren't done the season the 2nd Sat in Nov like ODU will be (well, it not like ODu is going to make the playoffs...).

Thats one of the first things myself and other ODU fans noticed when the schedule was first released. We had something similar like this happen in our first year as well. Realistically we might not make the playoffs but you never know.....

Anyway in regards to spring ball, here are some more practice photos from earlier in the week.....

Maxine
I am a fan of: UCLA
A.K.A.: kagaw

Post by Maxine »

awesome pics! keep it up guys.
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3

Post by ODUalum11 »

Virginian Pilot recap...

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/04/trio-od ... ows-skills" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"In the Colonial Athletic Association, you need a stable of running backs. And I think we have three CAA-caliber running backs and a fourth on the way in Tyree Lee."

Lee was the state Player of the Year at Phoebus High this past season.

Crawford said he felt great - and faster - on Saturday.

"Our offseason conditioning program really has a lot to do with it," Crawford said. "The way Angus and Colby are playing, I can't take a play off. If I do, I risk my spot on the depth chart. They are playing that well."

DaBigBlue
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Old Dominion

Post by DaBigBlue »

BDKJMU wrote:WTF is up with ODU's schedule?...A "bye" the 1st or last week of the season should be illegal...
I guess the CAA figure they would give the new kid on the block, the no break schedule.
GA St. MBB Fan
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Georgia State
A.K.A.: GSU Mens BB Fan

Post by GA St. MBB Fan »

futureodualum11 wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:WTF is up with ODU's schedule? I see open on Sept 3rd, 11 straight games, no bye week, with last game Nov 12. Outside of the Ivy league who only plays 10 games, I don't know of anyone else who doesn't have have a game on Nov 19th. Looks like your AD f'ed up on that one.

Thats one of the first things myself and other ODU fans noticed when the schedule was first released. We had something similar like this happen in our first year as well. Realistically we might not make the playoffs but you never know.....

Anyway in regards to spring ball, here are some more practice photos from earlier in the week.....

What are those spires in the backgrounds of pics 2-4?
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3

Post by ODUalum11 »

GA St. MBB Fan wrote:
futureodualum11 wrote:
What are those spires in the backgrounds of pics 2-4?

ummmm? not quite sure. :?

Anyway, front page of ODUsports.com...

CANNOT WAIT!
GA St. MBB Fan
Level1
Level1

Post by GA St. MBB Fan »

futureodualum11 wrote:
GA St. MBB Fan wrote:

ummmm? not quite sure. :?
Ha Ha...well some of them are power lines obviously...but I couldn't tell what the other ones were...I thought maybe they were funnels or communication tower of ships, perhaps naval ships...if so its pretty cool that your guy's practice facility is next to the ocean like that.
Tribe4SF
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: William and Mary

Post by Tribe4SF »

Those are probably loading cranes for container ships. The Powhatan Complex is close to the harbor.
Go Tribe!!!
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

The opposite side of the fence is a mess. It is a rail yard used primarily for coal which abuts the Elizabeth River (which connects the Norfolk Harbor to the Chesapeake Bay).

The property is such that we don't have two full fields. We have one full field and the other is only about 50 yards long with an added trapezoidal shape where the other half of the field would be. Between the practice fields and the River is a nine hole golf course and a City football stadium for high schools. Not sure how to post a screen shot from Google Maps but it gives you a great view if you feel like doing the search.
GA St. MBB Fan
Level1
Level1

Post by GA St. MBB Fan »

CAA Flagship wrote:The opposite side of the fence is a mess. It is a rail yard used primarily for coal which abuts the Elizabeth River (which connects the Norfolk Harbor to the Chesapeake Bay).

The property is such that we don't have two full fields. We have one full field and the other is only about 50 yards long with an added trapezoidal shape where the other half of the field would be. Between the practice fields and the River is a nine hole golf course and a City football stadium for high schools. Not sure how to post a screen shot from Google Maps but it gives you a great view if you feel like doing the search.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 2&t=h&z=17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I see that. Very interesting.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

11 teams in the CAA means that someone is not playing a conference game every week. Somebody had to be off on 11/19, so it looks like us. Since our 3 out of conference foes are part of home-and-home series, not much of a chance to move the game to 11/19. I don't see this as a fault from our side. It's the price we pay for being the new team in an odd-numbered conference. At least we can rest up before the playoffs. When you count the bye week, we will have two weeks to rest before our first playoff game. :lol:

http://www.caasports.com//pdf8/756844.p ... EM_ID=8500" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3

Post by ODUalum11 »

Virginian Pilot's Rich Radford's update....
Notes on a frayed white cuff
Sights and sounds from this week's practice field:

* It's always funny watching the offensive linemen work on catching kickoffs. The other day at practice, the linemen lined up in the end zone and caught replicated kickoffs from a ball machine. There wasn't much success until No. 83 and No. 92 made it through the line. Who were those guys? Oh, that's right, those were tight ends Kai Blanco and Tyler Damato. They're supposed to be able to catch.

* Defensive back T.J. Cowart, ODU's boundary cornerback, is out for the remainder of the spring with a sprained posterior crutiate ligament in his left knee. Team officials don't believe it's serious. In fact, Cowart said that if the spring lasted one more week he'd probably be back by then.

* The practice field at Powhatan Complex has a new line on it, a painted line that is five yards from the sideline. And in the back corners of the end zones are 5-yard painted boxes. What are they for? They are to give the quarterbacks and receivers a more defined idea about where the coaches want fade passes to be thrown.

* Defensive lineman Jagger Blehm is back to working out full speed after missing the first two weeks of spring workouts with a concussion. He looks pretty good and very agile. Blehm played at Virginia Beach's Green Run High and many are interested to see what the local kid can do with the Monarchs.

* So much for the quarterbacks wearing blue jerseys and being fair game for defenders. After backup quarterback Nate Ong left Saturday's scrimmage with a concussion, quarterbacks Thomas DeMarco and Rashad Manley were wearing red jerseys this week.

* The Monarchs are slated to hold their second open-to-public scrimmage Saturday at Foreman Field at 1 p.m.
http://hamptonroads.com/2011/04/notes-frayed-white-cuff" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ODUsports.com update, with video....

WEDNESDAY'S TWO-MINUTE DRILLS:

The two-minute drill saw the defense up by two points and the offense starting its drive at the defensive 40 with 1:10 to go and one timeout remaining.

On the first set, Mario Crawford was Thomas DeMarco's intended target on the first three plays and pushed the ball up a total of 15 yards. Saftey Devon Simmons then put pressure on DeMarco to get rid of the ball, but the rising senior signal caller managed to connect with redshirt receiver Antonio Vaughan to move the chains to the 25. The defense responded pushing back the line of scrimmage as Craig Wilkins came flying in for a sack. The next two plays did not have the offense advance, forcing Jarod Brown to hit a field goal to win it for the offense.

The second set also resulted in Brown having to hit a field goal after the offense was unable to move downfield. The defense won the second set after Browns kick went wide right. Among the defensive stops was defensive end Alex Johnson getting into Rashad Manley's passing lanes.
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3

Post by ODUalum11 »

Tomorrow's open scrimmage at Foreman Field moved from 1 pm to 12. :ohno:
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3

Post by ODUalum11 »

Recap with highlights, interviews, and pics with more to follow from today's second open scrimmage...

Remember this quote if you watch the interviews...
We have a potent offense. They're going to be one of the best in the CAA.
--Defensive End #97 Eddie McClam. :D

∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Didn't go, but damn our lines have gotten big! Two years ago some of those guys were skinny ragdolls beating up on even skinnier ragdolls. Can't wait for this season! Been REALLY fun watching this program grow from the very start.
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3

Post by ODUalum11 »

∞∞∞ wrote:Didn't go, but damn our lines have gotten big! Two years ago some of those guys were skinny ragdolls beating up on even skinnier ragdolls. Can't wait for this season! Been REALLY fun watching this program grow from the very start.
especially rising sophomore David Born...6'8", 355 lbs. :shock:
...Garnered offers or interest from UTEP, UTSA, Idaho, Idaho State, Portland State, Bethune Cookman, Missouri, UCLA and USC...
In high school...
Played three seasons of varsity football...Blocked for current San Diego Charger Ryan Mathews his sophomore season... Named to the Division I All-State First Team by Cal-Hi Sports as a senior...Also garnered First Team All-Area honors from the Bakersfield Californian...Was a First Team All-Southwest Yosemite League selection...Also played on the defensive line for the Vikings where he tallied eight tackles and blocked a kick in four games...
Virginian Pilot's recap from yesterday's scrimmage...
Eriq Lewis, a redshirt freshman from Coolidge High in Washington, D.C., might have made the biggest strides. The 6-foot, 175-pound cornerback was in on a number of plays. And while his overzealous approach cost the defense a 5-yard encroachment penalty late in the scrimmage, it was something coach Bobby Wilder didn't mind all that much.
Still, it was a grizzled veteran who had the biggest day up front. Andrew Turner, a rising redshirt junior, was in on a number of tackles and had a tackle for loss and a sack.
The only healthy running back was Mario Crawford, who late in the scrimmage turned a curl route pass from Rashad Manley into a 48-yard touchdown during a final two-minute drill.
Redshirt freshman Antonio Vaughan had the day's only other touchdown, turning a quick crossing route from Manley into a 63-yard score.... Jarod Brown had a solid day kicking the ball, connecting on field goals of 48 and 37 yards.... Reid Evans, ODU's leading receiver the past two years, has been suspended from the team for the remainder of spring workouts for a "breach of team rules."
http://hamptonroads.com/2011/04/freshma ... -scrimmage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3

Re: Old Dominion Spring Football Workouts

Post by ODUalum11 »

ODU completed their Spring Football workouts today with their annual Blue-White (or Offense vs. Defense) Spring Game. Defense won by a stunning 42-3 score. Not surprised by the outcome since the defense for any program is usually a step ahead of the offense and defense is more reaction to the ball rather than correct blocking assignments and correct routes.

As for the turnout, probably anywhere from 3,500 to 4,000 in attendance. There were a couple pop warner teams who attended and the athletic department opened up the suites and hospitality area in the gameday faciliy.

Here are a few blog updates from Rich Radford...
McGeorge considering move to TE? Can you have an April Fool's moment at the end of the month?
Ellett McGeorge spent last fall red-shirting as he grew into his body. The 6-foot-7, 275-pound McGeorge spent Friday totally abusing the competition in a game of Razzle Dazzle.

Razzle dazzle is like free-form football. You can throw it to yourself. You can throw the ball forward multiple times on one play. The ball is live as long as the ball doesn't hit the ground, go out of bounds, or you are touched by the defense.

In four 10-minute games, McGeorge caught 17 passes for 472 yards. That may or may not be an exaggeration. Those were the statistics provided by McGeorge, who caught a variety of deep-route passes as he ran past defensive backs who were supposed to be faster than he is.

(They might not have been paying attention to McGeorge on the first 15 receptions; I mean seriously, who's going to throw the ball to McGeorge? He's an offensive lineman, for crying out loud!).

Once it became obvious to everyone that McGeorge was his squad's main weapon, he was quadruple-teamed. Only then did he slow down in his production.

"My dad was a receiver in college," McGeorge said. "I think I might have missed my calling."

Coach Bobby Wilder, watching from the sidelines, grimmaced with every catch.

"I can see it now," Wilder said. "He'll be in my office demanding a position switch."

McGeorge confirmed that to be his plan.

"I need to move to tight end. I'll be in his office Monday morning at 8," McGeorge said. "We need to talk about this."

McGeorge was kidding, naturally.

The Monarchs have accomplished so much this spring ball season that Wilder wanted to give them a day to just have a little fun and relax. Today, it's back to business in the Spring Game at 1 o'clock at Foreman Field.
An extra dollar for the Shriners
So now we know why season tickets are $151 this season.

For 61 years the Oyster Bowl was a staple at Foreman Field. Now, it's coming back.

The Khedive Temple of Shriners International -- oh, please tell me the clown cars are coming back -- will host the 62nd Oyster Bowl this coming fall when Old Dominion plays James Madison on Oct. 29. That extra dollar cost of season tickets is going to the Shriners.

“Growing up literally blocks from Foreman Field, I learned to value and appreciate the annual Oyster Bowl football game. It was an annual fall highlight for not only the local neighborhoods, but for football fans throughout the area,” said ODU athletic director Dr. Wood Selig.

“The Oyster Bowl always supported such a wonderful cause in the Shriners Children’s Hospitals," Selig added. "It just makes sense to bring back the Oyster Bowl each year to Norfolk and now tie this wonderful event to ODU football and our football fans across the region. I look forward to exposing a new generation of football fans to the Oyster Bowl, its surrounding festivities, and all the great qualities that have come to be associated with the Oyster Bowl."

More to follow....
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3

Re: Old Dominion Blue vs. White Spring Game.

Post by ODUalum11 »

Here's a recap from ODUsports.com. A lot more to follow...

Highlights, Head Coach Bobby Wilder interview, and recap...
NORFOLK, Va. -- Nearly 3,100 12th Monarchs were in attendance at Foreman Field at S.B. Ballard Stadium to witness the Monarch defense take a 42-3 win in Saturday's annual Spring Game.
Also don't forget to check out WAVY (Ch. 10), WVEC (Ch. 13), and WTKR (Ch. 3) in the Hampton Roads area during tonight's newscast. All three stations came out to cover the spring game this afternoon.
http://www.odusports.com/sports/m-footb ... 11aaa.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Daily Press Recap...
Evans' interception was part of a dominating defensive effort in the annual intrasquad scrimmage for the Monarchs, who begin their third season of FCS play on Sept. 3 at home against Campbell. In a modified scoring system that awarded points for turnovers, forced punts and missed field goals, ODU's defense scored 42 points, made two interceptions and had eight tackles for loss.

The Monarchs' only offensive points came on a 47-yard field goal from Jarod Brown, who was 1-of-5.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt ... 2751.story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sirloinburger
I am a fan of: ODU

Post by Sirloinburger »

GA St. MBB Fan wrote:What are those spires in the backgrounds of pics 2-4?

That's the Portsmouth Terminal on the other side of the Elizabeth River.