UMASS goes to the MAC...

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
catdaddy2402
I am a fan of: SC FCS Teams

Re: UMASS goes to the MAC...

Post by catdaddy2402 »

49RFootballNow wrote:
TwinTownBisonFan wrote: BCS programs have shown a patern of NOT playing (or not wanting to play till forced to) non-BCS FBS programs in their "local" recruiting zones.
South Carolina has played East Carolina 15 times going back to 1977.
Virginia Tech has played East Carolina 16 times going back to 1956 (with most of the games being played from 1987 on)
Ole Miss played Memphis every year from 1976-2009
Ohio State has played at least one of the Ohio MAC schools (or Cincy when they were CUSA) since 1997.
LSU plays regional non-BCS teams every year, mostly the Louisiana schools with a North Texas and Troy mixed in.

There are some BCS teams that don't play local non-BCS teams (primarily the Alabama and Mississippi SEC teams refusing to play in-state non-BCS schools) but I wouldn't say it was a "pattern".
49RFootballNow
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Charlotte

Post by 49RFootballNow »

catdaddy2402 wrote:
49RFootballNow wrote:
South Carolina has played East Carolina 15 times going back to 1977.
Virginia Tech has played East Carolina 16 times going back to 1956 (with most of the games being played from 1987 on)
Ole Miss played Memphis every year from 1976-2009
Ohio State has played at least one of the Ohio MAC schools (or Cincy when they were CUSA) since 1997.
LSU plays regional non-BCS teams every year, mostly the Louisiana schools with a North Texas and Troy mixed in.

There are some BCS teams that don't play local non-BCS teams (primarily the Alabama and Mississippi SEC teams refusing to play in-state non-BCS schools) but I wouldn't say it was a "pattern".
I didn't say they NEVER played each other. There are exceptions to every rule. I'd also say that ECU and the 2 BCS programs you mention aren't usually in direct competition for recruits except maybe the Tidewater area of VA. As for the MAC Ohio schools and THE Ohio St. University I think that example holds little water due to most MAC programs being little more than FCS level quality in the first place. Not sure but I believe I heard somewhere that LSU recieved some form of official "encouragement" to play regional programs? ECU had to use legislative pressure to get Chapel Hill and NC State to play them.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

49RFootballNow wrote:Think I fixed that for you. BCS programs have shown a patern of NOT playing (or not wanting to play till forced to) non-BCS FBS programs in their "local" recruiting zones. UConn and BC can't even agree to play each other so it would be a major coup if UMass can land either.
Not sure that holds water. In the last 4-5 years:

Michigan vs Western Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Central Michigan, Bowling Green, Miami (OH), Toledo...
Ohio State vs Ohio, Eastern Michigan, Toledo...
Texas vs Rice, UTEP, LA-Monroe, Ark St, TCU...

There aren't any non-BCS FBS programs besides UConn and BC in New England. You'd have to go to Buffalo or Temple to find one and UConn's been playing Temple regularly.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

49RFootballNow wrote:I didn't say they NEVER played each other. There are exceptions to every rule.
I see Catdaddy already chimed in, but I think the exceptions outnumber the rule in this case.
GA St. MBB Fan
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Georgia State
A.K.A.: GSU Mens BB Fan

Post by GA St. MBB Fan »

∞∞∞ wrote:
89Hen wrote:I'm wondering how much of a step up this is... :|
Not really sure, but in the long run, it does give UMass a stronger position for a BCS conference to notice them. But then again, I'm one who thinks that the BCS is not long for this world.
Yep and that is the strongest reason to move "up" to the MAC or SunBelt for any school. No one (apparently not even Villanova) is going to be invited from the FCS to the BCS...without spending time in a non-BCS FBS conference.
catdaddy2402

Post by catdaddy2402 »

49RFootballNow wrote: I didn't say they NEVER played each other.
So which is it?
BCS programs have shown a patern of NOT playing (or not wanting to play till forced to) non-BCS FBS programs in their "local" recruiting zones.
While ECU doesn't typically compete with VT and/or South Carolina for their top tier recruits, they do actively compete with them on a regular basis for the second and third tier recruits that make up the majority of every recruiting class.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

This sucks for UMass. They're down 25-6 in the series to Delaware with no chance of ever evening things up.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

So, will UMass be an FBS transitional this year (& therefore ineligible for the playoffs)?

The article makes it seem that way, though it's kinda short notice for a move-up.
PenthouseClosedEnd
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Richmond

Post by PenthouseClosedEnd »

Well, this was the worst kept secret in the world.

Here's hoping the rest of us can lay the wood to the Minutemen this fall on their way out the door. :o
Seawolf97
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: StonyBrook
A.K.A.: SBU

Post by Seawolf97 »

Good for UMass :thumb:
danefan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UAlbany

Post by danefan »

FargoBison wrote:
49RFootballNow wrote:
Think I fixed that for you. BCS programs have shown a patern of NOT playing (or not wanting to play till forced to) non-BCS FBS programs in their "local" recruiting zones. UConn and BC can't even agree to play each other so it would be a major coup if UMass can land either.
I could see both playing them at Gillette, having that option will be a nice advantage for UMass in their transition.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110419/ap_ ... umass_move" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gillette will be the home field for 2012 on I'd say it's a distinct possibility of getting a home game against the Northeast BCS teams. Bob Kraft will make it happen. He wants the revenue base at Gillette.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

danefan wrote:
FargoBison wrote:
I could see both playing them at Gillette, having that option will be a nice advantage for UMass in their transition.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110419/ap_ ... umass_move" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gillette will be the home field for 2012 on I'd say it's a distinct possibility of getting a home game against the Northeast BCS teams. Bob Kraft will make it happen. He wants the revenue base at Gillette.
Massachusetts currently plays its home games at the 17,000-seat McGuirk Stadium on campus. Gillette seats just under 69,000 people and is 93 miles from Amherst.
93 miles from campus. For comparison purposes, that is the equivalent of the University of Delaware playing home games at Fed Ex Field, home of the Washington Redskins. And yes, I do realize how many UMass alums are closer to Foxboro than Amherst.
proasu89
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by proasu89 »

Good Luck!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Great. UMASS goes from a shot at a REAL National Championship to a shot at three crap bowls that will cost them $$ in the long run.

:ohno:
  • Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl
    GoDaddy.com Bowl
    Humanitarian Bowl

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
catdaddy2402

Post by catdaddy2402 »

SuperHornet wrote:Great. UMASS goes from a shot at a REAL National Championship to a shot at three crap bowls that will cost them $$ in the long run.

GoDaddy.com Bowl
    Humanitarian Bowl
Say what you want about the bowls being "crap", but the MAC bowl with the least attendance last season almost doubled the attendance of the FCS title game.
AppMan
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: App State

Post by AppMan »

GA St. MBB Fan wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: Not really sure, but in the long run, it does give UMass a stronger position for a BCS conference to notice them. But then again, I'm one who thinks that the BCS is not long for this world.
Yep and that is the strongest reason to move "up" to the MAC or SunBelt for any school. No one (apparently not even Villanova) is going to be invited from the FCS to the BCS...without spending time in a non-BCS FBS conference.
Gotta learn how to walk before you can run.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:So, will UMass be an FBS transitional this year (& therefore ineligible for the playoffs)?

The article makes it seem that way, though it's kinda short notice for a move-up.
My understanding is that once we announce it officially we become transitional...ineligible for the playoffs this season...

And while any transfer from an FBS team prior to the announcement can play this year...any transfers after the announcement must sit out a year and lose a year of eligibility...
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

danefan wrote:
FargoBison wrote:

I'll be shocked if we play every game at the Razor.....two a season, maybe the teams we're trying to develop rivalries with...will move to Foxboro

Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

proasu89 wrote:Good Luck!
Thank you...we'll need it... :nod:

Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

SuperHornet wrote:Great. UMASS goes from a shot at a REAL National Championship to a shot at three crap bowls that will cost them $$ in the long run.

GoDaddy.com Bowl
    Humanitarian Bowl
At least we've won one...how's that doing for Sac State???

You left out the TV contract with a real sports network that brings in $$$...and the higher pay out for money games...all that will help build the program...

Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

93henfan wrote:This sucks for UMass. They're down 25-6 in the series to Delaware with no chance of ever evening things up.
If the Hens ever stopped playing North East Southern Chester School for the Handicapped and played a real money game, you might just get a few more trips to Amherst... :kisswink:

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Col Hogan wrote:
93henfan wrote:This sucks for UMass. They're down 25-6 in the series to Delaware with no chance of ever evening things up.
If the Hens ever stopped playing North East Southern Chester School for the Handicapped and played a real money game, you might just get a few more trips to Amherst... :kisswink:
We make more money off West Chester than you guys could afford to pay us with your 13K average. :kisswink:

Btw, I believe our last game with WCUPA is next year, praise the Lord.
Last edited by 93henfan on Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
slycat
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Texas State

Post by slycat »

Col Hogan wrote:
Mvemjsunpx wrote:So, will UMass be an FBS transitional this year (& therefore ineligible for the playoffs)?

My understanding is that once we announce it officially we become transitional...ineligible for the playoffs this season...

And while any transfer from an FBS team prior to the announcement can play this year...any transfers after the announcement must sit out a year and lose a year of eligibility...
You are correct. The December window was the last time transfers could come to San Marcos and not sit out a year. And no playoffs as well. Maybe Texas St should set up a game with UMass and call it the transitional championship.
Catattack
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: MSU

Post by Catattack »

Col Hogan wrote: You left out the TV contract with a real sports network that brings in $$$...and the higher pay out for money games...all that will help build the program...

What is the MAC tv contract worth per team ?
LastMinuteman
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: UMass

Post by LastMinuteman »

The TV money isn't that great. It will pay for 2 or 3 long distance road games. But that's 2 or 3 more flights paid for than we'd have in the CAA. And the exposure and production values of ESPN beat CSN-NE. That will pay dividends in less easily measured ways.