Football Championship Subdivision discussions
BigApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Appalachian
A.K.A.: Thread Killer

Re: UMASS goes to the MAC...

Post by BigApp »

SuperHornet wrote:Great. UMASS goes from a shot at a REAL National Championship to a shot at three crap bowls that will cost them $$ in the long run.

:ohno:
  • Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl
    GoDaddy.com Bowl
    Humanitarian Bowl
how 'real' is the championship when 1/3 of the eligible teams don't want to play for it?
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

ImageImage

Follow Barack Obama's Teleprompter Blog http://baracksteleprompter.blogspot.com/
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

BigApp wrote:
SuperHornet wrote:Great. UMASS goes from a shot at a REAL National Championship to a shot at three crap bowls that will cost them $$ in the long run.

GoDaddy.com Bowl
    Humanitarian Bowl
how 'real' is the championship when 1/3 of the eligible teams don't want to play for it?
Their choice. Whether from snobbery (IVY) or Financial (SWAC).

that is only 20 of 110 or so, so far less than 1/3.
:thumb:
DJH
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: The MVC

Post by DJH »

BigApp wrote:

GoDaddy.com Bowl
    Humanitarian Bowl
As apposed to FBS where only 1/3 even has a remote chance of playing for the title?
UNI FIGHT
DJH
Level3
Level3

Post by DJH »

JBB wrote:clenzy is exactly the type of idiotic fan Im talking about. Such a know it all and so well spoken. Emotional. Not a strong thinker. :lol:
You mean, people that live in the real world?
UNI FIGHT
BigApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BigApp »

dbackjon wrote:
BigApp wrote:
Their choice. Whether from snobbery (IVY) or Financial (SWAC).

that is only 20 of 110 or so, so far less than 1/3.
10 more in the PFL...
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

ImageImage

Follow Barack Obama's Teleprompter Blog http://baracksteleprompter.blogspot.com/
BigApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BigApp »

DJH wrote:
As apposed to FBS where only 1/3 even has a remote chance of playing for the title?
how is that any different than FCS? (or any other college sport)

ImageImage

Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

JBB wrote:They averaged 13,005 last season. #20 in the FCS. i have no idea what kind of upside they have. This is just more evidence that FBS football is within reach for any team that is in the top 20 attendance in the FCS. That includes NDSU, Montana State, YSU any of the schools that are mentioned when you talk about the top teams in the FCS. It all depends on the situation you get offered. Its difficult to take any FBS naysayers seriously after what we have seen this off season.

In supporting this move some have mentioned the advantage to the OOC games, more money, bigger crowds. True and it applies to any FCS team that makes the move. Extra TV money. True and it applies to any FCS school making the move. Bowl games. True and just as good or better than money losing FCS playoff games.
Have you read anything other than the headlines??? Starting in 2012, we will play at Gillette Stadium, home of the N.E Patriots, which is in the heart of Alumni country...

Last year, we drew 30,000 plus to a game at the Razor...which is in eastern Massachusetts, where the vast majority of our alumni are located...not in the western part of the commonwealth where the University is located...

Playing at a pro facility near the alumni base, I predict we'll draw minimum 20 - 22K per game, and if we win, more...and that's with less student support because of the 94 mile one-way trip from the campus...

So, throw out the FCS attendance average, beause we'll do better... :nod:
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

grizzaholic wrote:
Col Hogan wrote:
You're not getting off that easy... :kisswink: :mrgreen:

Griz Nation would like to solicit your services as a bandwagon fan.
:lol: Thanks for the invite, but I'll be staying in the CAA for my FCS football...my daughter and SIL are both William and Mary grads (I spent a lot more money on a W&M education than I ever did on UMass)...so I'll be pulling for the Tribe... :kisswink:

DJH
Level3
Level3

Post by DJH »

BigApp wrote:
DJH wrote:
Its different because in FCS you can win your conference, go to the playoffs, and win a championship.

Whereas in FBS, you can win every game on your schedule, and you will not play for any championship.
UNI FIGHT
FargoBison
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by FargoBison »

DJH wrote:
BigApp wrote:
Its different because in FCS you can win your conference, go to the playoffs, and win a championship.

Whereas in FBS, you can win every game on your schedule, and you will not play for any championship.
Yep, in the FCS there is Colgate who didn't win a title but at least they got a chance to play in the title game. No Colgate's are going to get a chance to win the FBS title.
lakesbison
Level2
Level2
A.K.A.: lakesbison

Post by lakesbison »

Fcs is dying people.....ndsu and others who will average 18000-19000 + need to stay ahead of impending death
BigApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BigApp »

FargoBison wrote:
Yep, in the FCS there is Colgate who didn't win a title but at least they got a chance to play in the title game. No Colgate's are going to get a chance to win the FBS title.
tell us, how did Jacksonville and Grambling fare in the playoffs this year?

If winning a National Championship is what you're all about, then why does your school field basketball, swimming or softball teams?

Do you really think your Women's golf team is going to win a National championship?

ImageImage

CatBlitz22
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by CatBlitz22 »

Have fun being the next Western Kentucky.
FargoBison
Level2
Level2

Post by FargoBison »

BigApp wrote:
FargoBison wrote:
tell us, how did Jacksonville and Grambling fare in the playoffs this year?

If winning a National Championship is what you're all about, then why does your school field basketball, swimming or softball teams?

Do you really think your Women's golf team is going to win a National championship?
Our softball team has reached the super regionals and they've only been eligible for two years. Our women's golf team has one of the top golfers in DI. We might not ever win a title but we've certainly competed at a high level and at least our best teams and student athletes had the shot. Something that can't be said for many FBS schools, only the chosen few are allowed to win the coveted crystal trophy. What a joke.

Why do I care about Grambling? Not my fault they chose not to participate in the playoffs.
mgbison
I am a fan of: ndsu

Post by mgbison »

our women's softball team is pretty damn good. We beat oklahoma and lost to arizona state to go to the softball world series two years ago. so, don't knock on our softball squad, its solid.

Our women't track and field squad is pretty solid also. i believe we are #36 in the nation. our 400 runner finished runner up in the 400 a couple years ago. Laura Hermanson (married now)

We have one of the best female college golfers. Amy anderson is her name. you can find out more about her at gobison.com.

The thing that all 3 of those teams mentioned have in common is that they at least could participate in post season tourney's to win a national championship. Will they ever do that? probably not, but at least there is a chance.

Good luck UMASS. but the mac?
citdog
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: THE Citadel
A.K.A.: Pres.Jefferson Davis

Post by citdog »

so glad the flagship school of that cesspool of inequity and abolition known as massachusetts will no longer be of any interest. good riddance to yankee rubbish.
"Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language"
"Save in defense of my native State I hope to never again draw my sword"
Genl Robert E. Lee
Confederate States of America
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

There is just way too much ego invested in "playing for a national title". Financially the FCS football playoffs are a losing proposition. They dont seem to draw well at most schools and are certainly not a hot item for the TV networks. Any "No-Name Bowl" is far better than any playoff game including the NC game.

13,000 with strong upside makes UMass a solid MAC team. If they do get the 30,000 or so they will be a top MAC team. Playing football at the top of the MAC (NDSU is 2-0 in the MAC) is far better than playing football at the top of any FCS conference, especially now as the FCS seems to be fading before our eyes.

There arent that many FBS spots left. The WAC is now in a good position to pick and choose who they want.
Dear Lord, We come before you and humbly ask you to grant our prayer for a veil of protection to be placed over Donald Trump. May your will be done. In Jesus name we pray. Amen
TribeFanInNC
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: William & Mary Tribe

Post by TribeFanInNC »

Col Hogan wrote: :lol: Thanks for the invite, but I'll be staying in the CAA for my FCS football...my daughter and SIL are both William and Mary grads (I spent a lot more money on a W&M education than I ever did on UMass)...so I'll be pulling for the Tribe... :kisswink:
We thank you for your support! :thumb:
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Re: UMASS goes to the MAC...

Post by Col Hogan »

citdog wrote:so glad the flagship school of that cesspool of inequity and abolition known as massachusetts will no longer be of any interest. good riddance to yankee rubbish.
Yea...now we'll only play real military schools like West Point, Annapolis or the Colorado Reform Academy ...

citdog
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: THE Citadel
A.K.A.: Pres.Jefferson Davis

Re: Re: UMASS goes to the MAC...

Post by citdog »

Col Hogan wrote:
citdog wrote:so glad the flagship school of that cesspool of inequity and abolition known as massachusetts will no longer be of any interest. good riddance to yankee rubbish.
Yea...now we'll only play real military schools like West Point, Annapolis or the Colorado Reform Academy ...
that's hudson high school, canoe u, and the colorado springs school of golf instruction. so long mass......time to "cross the river and rest in the shade of the trees"
"Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language"
"Save in defense of my native State I hope to never again draw my sword"
Genl Robert E. Lee
Confederate States of America
slycat
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Texas State

Post by slycat »

The problem with NDSU is that conferences are interested in TV markets.

Texas St - Austin/San Antonio
UTSA - San Antonio
Villanova - Philly
UMass - Boston

And while these teams won't be top draw in these markets like NDSU would be in Fargo, they still have a lot of potential tv sets.

App St is a great team with great support but I have trouble seeing an invite to CUSA for them if a spot opens just because that conference is all about big markets. And I'm not sure of App Sts presence in the big markets.
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

The FCS needs to rid itself of members that don't want to be in the FCS. Until that happens, the FCS will always be on a "death watch". The sooner that the App States, JMUs, Georgia States, etc leave.......the better off that the FCS will be. :thumb:

:coffee:
Go Black Bears!
slycat
Level3
Level3

Post by slycat »

JBB wrote:There is just way too much ego invested in "playing for a national title". Financially the FCS football playoffs are a losing proposition. They dont seem to draw well at most schools and are certainly not a hot item for the TV networks. Any "No-Name Bowl" is far better than any playoff game including the NC game.

13,000 with strong upside makes UMass a solid MAC team. If they do get the 30,000 or so they will be a top MAC team. Playing football at the top of the MAC (NDSU is 2-0 in the MAC) is far better than playing football at the top of any FCS conference, especially now as the FCS seems to be fading before our eyes.

There arent that many FBS spots left. The WAC is now in a good position to pick and choose who they want.
If NDSU is really interseted in a move then they need to be blowing of Bensons phone at the WAC. That is probably NDSUs best shot at a FBS invite.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

slycat wrote:The problem with NDSU is that conferences are interested in TV markets.

UTSA - San Antonio
Villanova - Philly
UMass - Boston
FWIW, Temple keeps getting kicked around, so that may not always be the case.
slycat
Level3
Level3

Post by slycat »

89Hen wrote:
slycat wrote:The problem with NDSU is that conferences are interested in TV markets.

UTSA - San Antonio
Villanova - Philly
UMass - Boston
FWIW, Temple keeps getting kicked around, so that may not always be the case.
Good point. But I've seen the TV market come up quite a bit in WAC and CUSA expansion talk. I think its the idea of potential TVs that gets conferences all excited.