YSU to the CAA???

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Re: YSU to the CAA???

Post by ∞∞∞ »

guinzone wrote:Clenz is right...with the exception of William and Mary (8 Hours).
Hey, we're officially CAA members too!

ps. there's also this dude called GSU that hangs out with us. He's kinda that awkward friend we keep around only 'cause he's a nice enough fella that we don't wanna hurt his feelings.
guinzone
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Youngstown State
A.K.A.: Let's Go Guins

Post by guinzone »

∞∞∞ wrote:
guinzone wrote:Clenz is right...with the exception of William and Mary (8 Hours).
Hey, we're officially CAA members too!

ps. there's also this dude called GSU that hangs out with us. He's kinda that awkward friend we keep around only 'cause he's a nice enough fella that we don't wanna hurt his feelings.
8.5 hours.

Michael will be writing a follow-up with statements from the CAA and hopefully YSU's athletic director on this report.
Proud Youngstown State Fan
kemajic
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: Kemajic

Post by kemajic »

DJH wrote: YSU leaves the MVFC, life goes on as normal for the conference, IMO.
Especially if you take UND off our hands; please do.
"People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe." - Andy Rooney
DJH
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: The MVC

Post by DJH »

kemajic wrote:
DJH wrote: YSU leaves the MVFC, life goes on as normal for the conference, IMO.
Especially if you take UND off our hands; please do.
UND would have been in our conference the first time around if we wanted them to be here.

And why would they leave the BSC now? They have a home for all sports right now. If they got into the MVFC, they would not only have to leave the BSC after 1 year, but they would have to find yet another conference for every other sport.
UNI FIGHT
FargoBison
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by FargoBison »

UND kind of burned their bridge with the Summit....The Summit also added Nebraska-Omaha to put the league at 10 teams which is a great number to be it.

You Big Sky guys might be stuck with yearly trips to Grand Forks, enjoy.
Last edited by FargoBison on Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

And so it begins! :popcorn:
PenthouseClosedEnd
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Richmond

Post by PenthouseClosedEnd »

AshevilleApp wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:Already posted here, talking about it bottom of page 6 and on page 7:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23283&start=125" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Who cares? Chickenman needs to post more. What's this thread about again?
:lol:

That's the truth.
guinzone
Level2
Level2

Post by guinzone »

Mike has heard from YSU AD Ron Strollo and the CAA and as of now, no such communication between the two parties has occurred. For now, this story can be put on hold.
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

YSU is a program that has struggled a bit but seems to be on the rise. They are great competitors but an outlier. I like to play them. The first time NDSU played them was in the late 60s or early 70s and lost.

I can see why they would move to the CAA if given the chance. Travel costs are going through the roof and its going to be tough for outlying schools like UND in the BSC. Not only are their budgets going to have to undergo some big changes but the schools traveling to the outlier are going to have some resentment and maybe even start demanding some type of travel allowance.

UND is not welcome in the Summit after their president, AD and anyone else involved with the program trashed it and Commissioner Douple for his anti nickname stance. The fans also sneer at it as the NCC 2.0. They have no heritage and are not part of the Dakota Big 3. They play out west someplace.
The MVFC has anticipated the departure of YSU with the addition of University of South Dakota. I think its a done deal. This was all planned out in the past year or two. :twocents:
Dear Lord, We come before you and humbly ask you to grant our prayer for a veil of protection to be placed over Donald Trump. May your will be done. In Jesus name we pray. Amen
jmufan
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: The Dukes

Post by jmufan »

guinzone wrote:Mike has heard from YSU AD Ron Strollo and the CAA and as of now, no such communication between the two parties has occurred. For now, this story can be put on hold.
I wouldn't think the AD or the CAA would comment on this anyway. Why burn bridges by saying this could be occurring? If anything, if true, this puts a bug in the ears of those who are in control.
bincitysioux
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: North Dakota

Post by bincitysioux »

AZGrizFan wrote:Perhaps if YSU leaves you can take UND like you should have all along.
No thanks..................
collegesportsinfo
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: UMass
A.K.A.: Quinn, KingCal

Post by collegesportsinfo »

guinzone wrote:Mike has heard from YSU AD Ron Strollo and the CAA and as of now, no such communication between the two parties has occurred. For now, this story can be put on hold.
Was it every a "story" though? Wasn't this all based on a fan blog on gopenguins?
- Quinn

CollegeSportsInfo.com:
NCAA Message Board Directory, Conference Realignment Forums & Expansion News

FargoBison
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by FargoBison »

Actually a Fargo sports anchor and SDSU's head coach have both said that it could happen rather recently.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

collegesportsinfo wrote:
Was it every a "story" though? Wasn't this all based on a fan blog on gopenguins?
It's never been a "story" because no one wants to admit to it.

I brought this up right when USD was added, and I was told by many YSU fans (on this board and one of the YSU boards) that I was stupid for thinking the MVFC was doing this as insurance for when YSU leaves (or for when Missouri State or Illinois State act on their many "threats" to move FBS). YSU fans told me I was dumb for suggesting this because it didn't gain them anything. They were an FBS move or nothing because they are above the FCS, bigger and better than the FBS schools in Ohio, moving from one FCS conference to another doesn't make sense, blah blah blah blah blah.

The MVFC has said many many times that 9 teams is an ideal conference size due to being able to play everybody every year and having a "true champion". Why then would they add a 10th team, just days after saying publicly they wanted to stay at 9 teams? Any time anything like that happens it is because they find out a member is looking elsewhere and don't want to drop to 8 teams in the future. There has to be something in the works somewhere, even if it isn't YSU....I have a hard time believing it would be anyone though. The MVFC may be at 10 for 2 or 3 years but something will happen.

Right now the CAA and YSU officials aren't going to say anything, even if it is in the works. YSU doesn't want to alienate the MVFC, as they really aren't in a position to do so. They regularly complain about the travel distance (as does everyone in the conference), haven't really done jack crap to make the conference better since Tressel left, don't fit the MVFC footprint at all, and if they alienate the MVFC and the deal with the CAA falls through the MVFC may tell them to move along (even if that is unlikely).

The CAA isn't going to say anything because that isn't what conferences do. They will deny it until it happens, if at all. The CAA isn't going to want to alienate any other perspective teams either. With trying to work something out with Charolette, have possibly Liberty and Costal Carolina (I've read similar rumors on both) they don't make those schools feel like they aren't as wanted because there is a team with a "bigger name" than those two.

Until the news of UMASS leaving for sure came out, and with the likely Nova move still in the air, other places have been picking up steam on the YSU to the CAA move. I'm not saying I broke the story, however, I am saying that I have been saying it for a long time
GA St. MBB Fan
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Georgia State
A.K.A.: GSU Mens BB Fan

Post by GA St. MBB Fan »

clenz wrote:perspective teams
http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/perspective.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry dude, its just one of my peeves, and I can't let it go.

Otherwise, I pretty much agree with everything else you said.

But I don't see how a school from Ohio could be admitted since Ohio wasn't a colony. But that's just me.
guinzone
Level2
Level2

Post by guinzone »

collegesportsinfo wrote:
When the sports director of WDAY-TV 6 in Fargo is reporting all over the web that the CAA is eyeing YSU, I guess you could argue it is a story.

We'll have our writers watch this closely moving forward, but as of now, YSU is remaining in the MVFC.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

GA St. MBB Fan wrote:
http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/perspective.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But I don't see how a school from Ohio could be admitted since Ohio wasn't a colony. But that's just me.
That's an interesting prospective.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
DJH
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: The MVC

Post by DJH »

GA St. MBB Fan wrote:

I hope you don't actually believe this.
UNI FIGHT
GA St. MBB Fan
Level1
Level1

Post by GA St. MBB Fan »

DJH wrote:
GA St. MBB Fan wrote:

Of course not. In this day and age of college sports? Where there are 12 teams in the Big 10 and Pac 10, and 10 teams in the Big 12?

When divisions are no longer broken up along geographical lines, but instead via the "Atlantic" and the "Coastal;" or the "Legends" and "Leaders."

No.

Besides, Maine wasn't an original colony either (it was part of Mass.) so since they have already set the precedent, we can't hold it against an Ohio team.
GA St. MBB Fan
Level1
Level1

Post by GA St. MBB Fan »

GA St. MBB Fan wrote:
DJH wrote:
Of course not. In this day and age of college sports? Where there are 12 teams in the Big 10 and Pac 10, and 10 teams in the Big 12?

When divisions are no longer broken up along geographical lines, but instead via the "Atlantic" and the "Coastal;" or the "Legends" and "Leaders."

No.

Besides, Maine wasn't an original colony either (it was part of Mass.) so since they have already set the precedent, we can't hold it against an Ohio team.
Oh yeah...just to add...a Texas school in the Big East?
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

I guess the CAA doesn't want Appy or the real GSU because they think we're both headed to FBS soon?
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
tampajag
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: whooties
A.K.A.: hamburger pimp

Post by tampajag »

GA St. MBB Fan wrote:
GA St. MBB Fan wrote:

No.

well they are East of the Rockies :ugeek:
kemajic
Level2
Level2

Post by kemajic »

tampajag wrote:
GA St. MBB Fan wrote:
well they are East of the Rockies :ugeek:
So is Colorado and they're in the PAC.
"People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe." - Andy Rooney
kemajic
Level2
Level2

Post by kemajic »

GA St. MBB Fan wrote:

But you can smell Youngstown from the PA border; that's probably close enough.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

TCU is East of the geographic center of the contiguous USA.