How Will Conks Spin Obama's Triumph Into A Scandal?

Political discussions
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Re: How Will Conks Spin Obama's Triumph Into A Scandal?

Post by JohnStOnge »

The only scandalous thing about this episode is the idea that who the President is at the time made a difference in the CIA and military getting the guy. Yes, it may have happened at a somewhat different time in a somewhat different way. But who the President was, I think, had very little to do with the fact that the quarry was located and eliminated.

Like I was watching MSNBC the day after. The line was that "It all began" with Obama telling Leon P. to get Ben Laden. Please. As though the nation's intelligence and military apparatus needed to be told by Obama to get Ben Laden.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

JohnStOnge wrote:The only scandalous thing about this episode is the idea that who the President is at the time made a difference in the CIA and military getting the guy. Yes, it may have happened at a somewhat different time in a somewhat different way. But who the President was, I think, had very little to do with the fact that the quarry was located and eliminated.

Like I was watching MSNBC the day after. The line was that "It all began" with Obama telling Leon P. to get Ben Laden. Please. As though the nation's intelligence and military apparatus needed to be told by Obama to get Ben Laden.
Obviously, it all began when the outgoing Clinton administration warned the Bush administration that getting Bin Laden should be their number one priority.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

The twisting and turning here began with one of the Doobie Brothers (AKA D1B and Cap'n Cat) who asked how the right would spin this.

I thought that was ironic, given that the facts here are so juicy and ripe that no spin is needed. At the time of the post, I was just enjoying the fact that we got the guy, not really caring that Obama will RIGHTFULLY get some credit for this. He is the President, and he gave the order, and it was a ballsy one given the intelligence on that compound.

That being said, Fatboy Troll threw down the gauntlet and I responded. Since that post, no one single Obama supporting poster has come even close to addressing the central issue I brought up, which is that the road to OBL began with intelligence gleaned from detainees at Gitmo, specifically two detainees who were subjected to every form of interrogation we had at our disposal at one time or another.

The best any of you have been able to do is silly pictures. Only SK was dumb enough to actually try to play games with the semantics.

I'm glad Obama got the guy. Just don't come on here claiming everything short of that he fast roped into the place himself and personally buggered OBL in the butt before putting one in his head. It was a team effort that began in 2001, and the irony here is that Obama and the rest of the screamy head anti-Gitmo people were on the wrong side of the issue concerning one of Bush's most unpopular GWT measures.

So if anyone cares to have a substantive discussion on the matter, or somehow make a lucid argument that we would have gotten OBL without the intelligence stream that began at Gitmo, then let's have at it.
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Bronco
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Griz

Post by Bronco »

Hard to argue when their own man is on video saying its so.

CIA Director Says Intel from Waterboarding Led to Bin Laden Raid (video at source)
Fox Nation ^ | May 3, 2011

On the role of interrogation:

BRIAN WILLIAMS: Can you confirm that it was as a result of water boarding that we learned what we needed to learn to go after Bin Laden?

LEON PANETTA: Brian, in the intelligence business you work from a lot of sources of information and that was true here... It's a little difficult to say it was due just to one source of information that we got... I think some of the detainees clearly were, you know, they used these enhanced interrogation techniques against some of these detainees. But I'm also saying that, you know, the debate about whether we would have gotten the same information through other approaches I think is always going to be an open question.

(Excerpt) Read more at nation.foxnews.com ...
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back. Al Swearengen
http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/tv/childr ... bronco.wav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Bronco wrote:Hard to argue when their own man is on video saying its so.

CIA Director Says Intel from Waterboarding Led to Bin Laden Raid (video at source)
Fox Nation ^ | May 3, 2011

On the role of interrogation:

BRIAN WILLIAMS: Can you confirm that it was as a result of water boarding that we learned what we needed to learn to go after Bin Laden?

LEON PANETTA: Brian, in the intelligence business you work from a lot of sources of information and that was true here... It's a little difficult to say it was due just to one source of information that we got... I think some of the detainees clearly were, you know, they used these enhanced interrogation techniques against some of these detainees. But I'm also saying that, you know, the debate about whether we would have gotten the same information through other approaches I think is always going to be an open question.

(Excerpt) Read more at nation.foxnews.com ...
I think that if the answer to Brian Williams' question was "NO", Panetta would have answered that way before Williams even finished the question.
Bronco
Level3
Level3

Post by Bronco »

What's going on with Panetta

Panetta: Obama Couldn't Watch Bin Laden's Death but Heard 'Geronimo' Signal(video)
PBS ^ | May 3, 2011

In a newsmaker interview with Jim Lehrer on Tuesday, CIA Director Leon Panetta describes the final tense seconds of the commando raid on the compound housing Osama bin Laden in Pakistan.

(Excerpt) Read more at youtube.com ...

I've seen that Obummer is a pussy but strange that his boys are starting to talk about it.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back. Al Swearengen
http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/tv/childr ... bronco.wav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bronco
Level3
Level3

Post by Bronco »

This one is hearsay but still a strange string of Panetta stories

Obama Hesitated: Panetta Issued Order to Kill bin Laden
socyberty.com ^ | 5.3.2011 | Ulsterman

"I was told – in these exact terms, “we overruled him.” (Obama) I have since followed up and received further details on exactly what that meant, as well as the specifics of how Leon Panetta worked around the president’s “persistent hesitation to act.” There appears NOT to have been an outright overruling of any specific position by President Obama, simply because there was no specific position from the president to do so. President Obama was, in this case, as in all others, working as an absentee president."

(Excerpt) Read more at socyberty.com ...
TwinTownBisonFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by TwinTownBisonFan »

Bronco wrote:This one is hearsay but still a strange string of Panetta stories

Obama Hesitated: Panetta Issued Order to Kill bin Laden
socyberty.com ^ | 5.3.2011 | Ulsterman

"I was told – in these exact terms, “we overruled him.” (Obama) I have since followed up and received further details on exactly what that meant, as well as the specifics of how Leon Panetta worked around the president’s “persistent hesitation to act.” There appears NOT to have been an outright overruling of any specific position by President Obama, simply because there was no specific position from the president to do so. President Obama was, in this case, as in all others, working as an absentee president."

(Excerpt) Read more at socyberty.com ...
my favorite conk conspiracy thusfar in all of this... :rofl:
North Dakota State University Bison 2011 and 2012 National Champions

clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
blueballs wrote:Simple answer... if they don't release the video or photographic evidence that is indisputable of the takedown a scandal will ensue.
They've decided to release a photo.

Now the teabaggers will demand a death certificate.
When does the photo come out?
Bronco
Level3
Level3

Post by Bronco »

Barack Obama kept military commanders hanging by declaring he would 'sleep on it' before taking 16 hours to give the go-ahead to raid Bin Laden's compound.

But the president stunned officials when he told a national security meeting that he wanted more time to think - and disappeared out of the room.

'I'm not going to tell you what my decision is now - I'm going to go back and think about it some more,' said Obama, according to the New York Times. He then added 'I'm going to make a decision soon.'

The head of the CIA and other senior intelligence officers who were keen to proceed were left tense as they waited for the president's decision.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1LLe3bKnt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
eagleskins
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern
A.K.A.: eagleskins

Post by eagleskins »

Sunday night marked the end of Baldy's brand new Formica table.
BigApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Appalachian
A.K.A.: Thread Killer

Post by BigApp »

more importantly, what will Van Jones and his merry band of "Truthers" have to say about this
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

ImageImage

Follow Barack Obama's Teleprompter Blog http://baracksteleprompter.blogspot.com/
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

eagleskins wrote:Sunday night marked the end of Baldy's brand new Formica table.
Speaking of trolls... :lol:

Sorry, Sport. I already gave Obama props. It only took 2.5 years, but he finally did get something right. :nod:
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

A great victory for the School of the Americas! I'll bet them ragheads wisht they hadn't messed with us now. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

JohnStOnge wrote:The only scandalous thing about this episode is the idea that who the President is at the time made a difference in the CIA and military getting the guy. Yes, it may have happened at a somewhat different time in a somewhat different way. But who the President was, I think, had very little to do with the fact that the quarry was located and eliminated.

Stop hating our freedoms, John. The President is in charge of the military. :ohno:

Bush in charge of military = eight years of miserable failure and futility and a resurgence of the Taliban.

Obama in charge of the military = Public enemy #1 dead.

'
Now lets hope he is smart enough to declare victory and gtfo.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

houndawg wrote:

Stop hating our freedoms, John. The President is in charge of the military. :ohno:

Bush in charge of military = eight years of miserable failure and futility and a resurgence of the Taliban.

Obama in charge of the military = Public enemy #1 dead.

'

I have yet to see any military failures either under Bush or Obama. Not sure what you are talking about.

How about drum up a bunch of links for us or something?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

houndawg wrote:Bush in charge of military = eight years of miserable failure and futility and a resurgence of the Taliban.
You're such a liberal lemming. :lol:
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

houndawg wrote: Stop hating our freedoms, John. The President is in charge of the military. :ohno:

Obama in charge of the military = Public enemy #1 dead.'

WRONG. Having the Playstation Network go down is what caught Osama.
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern