All other college sports!
EPJr
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: VCU/A-10
A.K.A.: BigE

Mexican interests inquire about NCAA Division II membership

Post by EPJr »

The first NCAA membership division to accommodate Canadian members now has been asked to look the other way − as in Mexico.

The examination is in an extremely preliminary stage, but the Division II Membership Committee will consider a letter from a Mexican government official inquiring about possible NCAA membership for at least one school in that country.

Bernardo de la Garza Herrera, director general of the National Sports Commission of Mexico, expressed interest in Division II membership since the “perspective, goals and dimensions of this program suits our abilities and (interests).”

Simon Fraser University from Canada currently is in its final year of Division II provisional membership and is expected to become the NCAA’s first active international member. International membership became possible through a pilot program that was approved at the 2008 Convention.

“We know about the proceedings recently initiated by Canadian universities,” wrote de la Garza Herrera, “and Mexico would like to follow up in this pilot program.”

All NCAA institutions in Puerto Rico also are affiliated with Division II.

Division II Presidents Council chair Drew Bogner of Molloy College said it’s too early to tell how the Mexican request will turn out.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/pub ... s%20Direct" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: Mexican interests inquire about NCAA Division II members

Post by AZGrizFan »

Mexico is too unstable to consider this at this point. No WAY would I want to take my team into Mexico for any sports contest.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

AZGrizFan wrote:Mexico is too unstable to consider this at this point. No WAY would I want to take my team into Mexico for any sports contest.
This. times a billion.

Hell, even cruise liners aren't stopping in Mexico anymore, and they stop at the nice parts....I can't imagine taking a team to the heart of Mattamorros, or some of these other "cities"
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Y'all are a bunch of vaginas.
clenz wrote: Hell, even cruise liners aren't stopping in Mexico anymore, and they stop at the nice parts...
You're full of shit. Which cruise lines don't stop in Mexico anymore? Just checked every major one I've ever heard of... and they all still stop in Mexico.

Tourism in Mexico has been up every year since the drug war escalated in 2006.
Mexico's international image may be taking hits because of the violence produced by drug cartels, but it hasn't hurt its tourism industry, officials say. International tourism to Mexico has increased 2.1% in the first five months of 2011 compared to 2010, and it remains the top destination for Americans traveling abroad.

Statistics from the U.S. Department of Commerce show that fewer Americans are traveling abroad, but a bigger percentage of those who do are going to Mexico. Mexico also reported double-digit increases in the percentage of visitors from Russia, Brazil and China, among others.

"The data doesn't lie," Mexico's deputy secretary for tourism, Ricardo Anaya, told CNN. "Tourists keep choosing Mexico."
http://articles.cnn.com/2011-07-26/trav ... =PM:TRAVEL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sure, I wouldn't want to go to the slums of Juarez, Matamoros, or Culiacan... but, the vast majority of the country is quite safe.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote:Y'all are a bunch of vaginas.
clenz wrote: Hell, even cruise liners aren't stopping in Mexico anymore, and they stop at the nice parts...
You're full of shit. Which cruise lines don't stop in Mexico anymore? Just checked every major one I've ever heard of... and they all still stop in Mexico.

Tourism in Mexico has been up every year since the drug war escalated in 2006.
Mexico's international image may be taking hits because of the violence produced by drug cartels, but it hasn't hurt its tourism industry, officials say. International tourism to Mexico has increased 2.1% in the first five months of 2011 compared to 2010, and it remains the top destination for Americans traveling abroad.

Statistics from the U.S. Department of Commerce show that fewer Americans are traveling abroad, but a bigger percentage of those who do are going to Mexico. Mexico also reported double-digit increases in the percentage of visitors from Russia, Brazil and China, among others.

"The data doesn't lie," Mexico's deputy secretary for tourism, Ricardo Anaya, told CNN. "Tourists keep choosing Mexico."
http://articles.cnn.com/2011-07-26/trav ... =PM:TRAVEL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sure, I wouldn't want to go to the slums of Juarez, Matamoros, or Culiacan... but, the vast majority of the country is quite safe.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011 ... s-alarmin/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Results Princess Cruises became the latest to alter its routes involving Mexico when it announced last week that it would bypass Puerto Vallarta on three Sapphire Princess cruises in November and December. The Sapphire Princess is based out of Los Angeles.

“The decision to cancel three upcoming calls to Puerto Vallarta was taken in the best interest of our passengers after careful consideration,” said Karen Candy, spokeswoman for Princess Cruises. “ It reflects our best judgment of the current State Department Warning and our own security assessment. “

The U.S. State Department issued a travel warning in April regarding areas of Mexico including the state of Jalisco, where Puerto Vallarta is located.

The company has not altered any schedule stops in San Diego, Candy said. The Sapphire Princess will port in San Diego in the fall during California Coastal tours.

The move by Princess and other cruise lines to alter calls in Mexico has been felt at the San Diego Port as well as by Mexico’s Tourism Board.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Uhm. The only cruise line mentioned in that article still goes to Mexico. And they really sell it well on their website. :lol:

The Mexican Riviera has always been an accessible place for sun seekers. A cruise to Mexico makes it that much more simple to see it all; each port of call has its own unique personality and charm. The La Quebrada cliff divers of Acapulco will leave you amazed at their daredevil flying feats. The cobbled streets of Puerto Vallarta's Malécon are ideal for a relaxing stroll. And the deep-water lagoons, coconut groves and laid-back attitude of Zihuatanejo provide a delightful taste of Old Mexico. Of course, you can’t forget Mazatlán's long sandy beaches and whale-watching opportunities off Cabo San Lucas. There's always plenty to see and do on a Mexico cruise.
http://www.princess.com/learn/destinati ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
TwinTownBisonFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by TwinTownBisonFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote:Uhm. The only cruise line mentioned in that article still goes to Mexico. And they really sell it well on their website. :lol:

The Mexican Riviera has always been an accessible place for sun seekers. A cruise to Mexico makes it that much more simple to see it all; each port of call has its own unique personality and charm. The La Quebrada cliff divers of Acapulco will leave you amazed at their daredevil flying feats. The cobbled streets of Puerto Vallarta's Malécon are ideal for a relaxing stroll. And the deep-water lagoons, coconut groves and laid-back attitude of Zihuatanejo provide a delightful taste of Old Mexico. Of course, you can’t forget Mazatlán's long sandy beaches and whale-watching opportunities off Cabo San Lucas. There's always plenty to see and do on a Mexico cruise.
http://www.princess.com/learn/destinati ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dude - face facts:

Northern Mexico still has State Department warnings regarding travel. None of the northern states in Mexico are REMOTELY safe. This no school (esp. in DII) whose insurance would ever DREAM of covering a road-trip there, and for good cause.
North Dakota State University Bison 2011 and 2012 National Champions

clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

TwinTownBisonFan wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:Uhm. The only cruise line mentioned in that article still goes to Mexico. And they really sell it well on their website. :lol:

dude - face facts:

Northern Mexico still has State Department warnings regarding travel. None of the northern states in Mexico are REMOTELY safe. This no school (esp. in DII) whose insurance would ever DREAM of covering a road-trip there, and for good cause.
This x10000
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

TwinTownBisonFan wrote:

dude - face facts:

He'd rather get caught up in the details of proving he's right about cruise lines still going to Mexico than face the reality that it's like the fucking wild West all over again down there, only with automatic weapons.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

TwinTownBisonFan wrote:

dude - face facts:

There are plenty of urban areas in the good ol' US that SHOULD have travel warnings from State. :coffee:
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Grizalltheway wrote:
TwinTownBisonFan wrote:
dude - face facts:

There are plenty of urban areas in the good ol' US that SHOULD have travel warnings from State. :coffee:
Being that they are in America most people know what areas to avoid.

How many NCAA schools do you see in those neighborhoods?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Grizalltheway wrote:
TwinTownBisonFan wrote:
dude - face facts:

Is there ANY thread where you won't throw a diversionary red herring argument into? :ohno: :roll:
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:
Is there ANY thread where you won't throw a diversionary red herring argument into? :ohno: :roll:
How is it diversionary? Are there not times when NCAA teams have to travel through less than ideal areas to get to an event? I'm not saying it's on the same level as what's going on in Mexico, just making an observation. :thumb:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Grizalltheway wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
How is it diversionary? Are there not times when NCAA teams have to travel through less than ideal areas to get to an event? I'm not saying it's on the same level as what's going on in Mexico, just making an observation. :thumb:
"less than ideal" and "multiple mass graves with beheaded bodies" is hardly comparable. :roll: :roll: When was the last time 20 tourists just "disappeared" while visiting a town in America? When was the last time a towns police force resigned enmasse out of fear for their own safety and the lives of their families?

Seriously dude, there's some rough neighborhoods in America, sure. But to try and compare it to what's going on across Mexico right now is fucking laughable. :dunce:
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:
"less than ideal" and "multiple mass graves with beheaded bodies" is hardly comparable. :roll: :roll: When was the last time 20 tourists just "disappeared" while visiting a town in America? When was the last time a towns police force resigned enmasse out of fear for their own safety and the lives of their families?

Seriously dude, there's some rough neighborhoods in America, sure. But to try and compare it to what's going on across Mexico right now is fucking laughable. :dunce:
Compton would be the "upper east side" in the vast majority of Mexico
TwinTownBisonFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by TwinTownBisonFan »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:

THIS.

The WORST parts of the WORST cities in America would be considered SAFE in most of northern Mexico. There is what amounts to a low-level civil or sectarian war going on there... and while East St. Louis and South Central Los Angeles are "bad neighborhoods" a team bus could almost certainly roll through unscathed. Not so in Juarez or Nuevo Laredo or Mexicali. BIG difference.
North Dakota State University Bison 2011 and 2012 National Champions

Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

AZGrizFan wrote:
He'd rather get caught up in the details of proving he's right about cruise lines still going to Mexico than face the reality that it's like the fucking wild West all over again down there, only with automatic weapons.
No, what I'd rather do is dispel myths and hyperbole about the country like...

"it's like the fucking wild West all over again down there, only with automatic weapons." or "even cruise liners don't stop in Mexico anyomre"

When was the last time you were in Mexico, AZ? You don't know what you're talking about.
Last edited by Skjellyfetti on Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

TwinTownBisonFan wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

THIS.

The WORST parts of the WORST cities in America would be considered SAFE in most of northern Mexico. There is what amounts to a low-level civil or sectarian war going on there... and while East St. Louis and South Central Los Angeles are "bad neighborhoods" a team bus could almost certainly roll through unscathed. Not so in Juarez or Nuevo Laredo or Mexicali. BIG difference.
This. No way should Mexican universities be considered due to the security issues.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
No, what I'd rather do is dispel myths and hyperbole about the country like...

"it's like the fucking wild West all over again down there, only with automatic weapons." or "even cruise liners don't stop in Mexico anyomre"

When was the last time you were in Mexico, AZ? You don't know what you're talking about.
Given where he lives, works, etc... I'd think he has a pretty good idea of what the area is like.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

TwinTownBisonFan wrote: THIS.

Any universities in those cities suck anyway.

The universities that should be brought into D-II athletics are: UNAM in Mexico City, UDLAP in Cholula, UAG in Guadalajara, and Tecnologia de Monterrey in Monterrey.

These are the only universities with sports programs comparable to D-II US universities (a couple more comparable to D-I). Monterrey has recently seen violence increase.. so, fine, throw them off the list.

But, Mexico City, Cholula, Guadalajara, etc. aren't problems.
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
TwinTownBisonFan wrote: THIS.

Any universities in those cities suck anyway.

The universities that should be brought into D-II athletics are: UNAM in Mexico City, UDLAP in Cholula, UAG in Guadalajara, and Tecnologia de Monterrey in Monterrey.

These are the only universities with sports programs comparable to D-II US universities (a couple more comparable to D-I). Monterrey has recently seen violence increase.. so, fine, throw them off the list.

But, Mexico City, Cholula, Guadalajara, etc. aren't problems.
Throw them all off the list. Who the fuck wants to travel to Mexico to see college athletics. If my ass is heading into Mexico to see anything it would be a Chivas game.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

clenz wrote: Given where he lives, works, etc... I'd think he has a pretty good idea of what the area is like.
He has a good idea about Arizona where he lives and works.

I spent 6 months traveling through Mexico last year... from cities to remote villages... from the north to the south...
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

SDHornet wrote:If my ass is heading into Mexico to see anything it would be a Chivas game.
But, haven't you heard??.... you'll just be beheaded by those bloodthirsty Mexicans!! :cry:
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
SDHornet wrote:If my ass is heading into Mexico to see anything it would be a Chivas game.
But, haven't you heard??.... you'll just be beheaded by those bloodthirsty Mexicans!! :cry:
Yes there would be a chance of that if a trip was made. That is one of the reasons I stay north of the border.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Surely there would be a few Mexican schools in safe areas. I'm not sure if they'd be close enough to the border to be a good "fit" in any existing D-II conferences, but they could be an outlier like Hawai'i and Chaminade. Particularly if they're in some exotic place like Puerto Vallarta.

:mrgreen:

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.