Political discussions
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Obama snubs VFW

Post by BDKJMU »

Its usually the President or the Vice President addressing their annual convention. For the first time in its 112-year history, no one from the White House has committed to making an appearance. :ohno:

"VFW Accuses White House of Snubbing Annual Convention

The Veterans of Foreign Wars convention this week will not feature a top-tier official from the Obama administration, a breach in tradition that the group's commander described as an "insult of the highest magnitude."

However, an administration official claimed Monday that the White House made "every effort" to provide a speaker for the event, offering up a range of top officials.

"In all instances, the VFW declined those offers," the official said.

The veterans group is accustomed to playing host to the nation's most powerful people at its national conference. Obama addressed the VFW in 2009, followed by Vice President Biden in 2010.

But the 2-million strong VFW accused the administration of snubbing its members by not providing a "first-tier speaker" for the first time in VFW history.

"The VFW has had a long-standing tradition of inviting the sitting president to address our convention," Richard Eubank, national commander of the organization, said in a statement, adding that the White House typically chooses a "high-level administration official" to speak if the president cannot attend.

"It is an insult of the highest magnitude that for the first time in the history of the VFW, the White House has apparently decided that this great and iconic organization of combat veterans and all of its members are not worthy of its notice by not at least offering a first-tier speaker from the administration."

The senior administration official said the White House did offer several potential speakers, including U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice. The Air Force pitched its secretary and chief of staff; the National Guard offered the Army National Guard director.

It's not clear why they were turned down. The VFW did not return requests for comment.

Deputy White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest said Monday that W. Scott Gould, deputy secretary of Veterans Affairs, will be addressing the convention. He noted that Obama will address the American Legion -- on Tuesday -- but explained that the president simply can't honor every speaking request.

"The president and his administration continue to have deep respect and appreciation for our servicemembers and veterans, and this can be clearly seen in this administration's policies and actions," Earnest said. "The president receives many speaking requests throughout the year but he is unable to meet them all. ... And while the president will not be attending the VFW conference in person, he has transmitted to VFW a written message to be relayed to all conference attendees."

Perhaps incidentally, Republican presidential candidate Rick Perry was speaking at that conference Monday.

The Texas governor's office initially did not respond to the VFW's invitation -- after Eubank last week chided Perry, along with Obama, the governor told the VFW he was able to adjust his schedule and attend.

At the convention in San Antonio Monday, Perry stressed that American soldiers should be "led by American commanders," griping about international coalitions he described as "multilateral debating societies."

Asked about the VFW convention Monday, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney did not comment other than to say he doesn't think Perry's invitation factored into the administration's difficulty in fitting VFW into its schedule.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, another top GOP presidential candidate, is also scheduled to address the group this week."
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/08 ... onvention/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: Obama snubs VFW

Post by AZGrizFan »

I'm sure he'd feel differently if we were actually involved in any foreign wars at the moment. :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

You know how badly the VFW wanted to hear him speak, poor guys..
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote:I'm sure he'd feel differently if we were actually involved in any foreign wars at the moment. :coffee:
Did somebody declare war? :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

houndawg wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:I'm sure he'd feel differently if we were actually involved in any foreign wars at the moment. :coffee:
Did somebody declare war? :coffee:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

War on Terror
War on Drugs
War on Poverty
War on Obesity
War on Illiteracy
War on ......
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
TwinTownBisonFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by TwinTownBisonFan »

So they WERE offered a speaker - and turned them down...
The senior administration official said the White House did offer several potential speakers, including U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice. The Air Force pitched its secretary and chief of staff; the National Guard offered the Army National Guard director.

It's not clear why they were turned down. The VFW did not return requests for comment.
North Dakota State University Bison 2011 and 2012 National Champions

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

TwinTownBisonFan wrote:So they WERE offered a speaker - and turned them down...

Those arenn't SENIOR WHITE HOUSE officials, as it has been the last 112 years. Its usually the President or VP. Short of that, it should have been at least a Cabinet Secretary like Sec Def or Chairman of the JSOC.

Instead, the WH snubs the VFW by offering a number of names that are several notches down on the totem pole
Wedgebuster
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNC BEARS
A.K.A.: OB55

Post by Wedgebuster »

VFW (very frail warriors) kind of piss me off with their attitudes. They can suck it.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

:lol:

How soon the Donks forget their whining and crying when Bush "snubbed" the NAACP in favor of speaking at the Urban League.

But, I'm sure that's much different.....somehow. :roll: :coffee:
BlueHen86
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: The McManus Brothers
A.K.A.: Duffman

Post by BlueHen86 »

Baldy wrote::lol:

How soon the Donks forget their whining and crying when Bush "snubbed" the NAACP in favor of speaking at the Urban League.

But, I'm sure that's much different.....somehow. :roll: :coffee:
It is different, I think this might be worse. Nothing against the NAACP, but I rate the VFW a little higher.
TwinTownBisonFan
Supporter
Supporter

Obama was at the American Legion national convention in Minneapolis today...

VFW seems like they're pissed they got one-upped.

Rob Iola
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Lurking

Post by Rob Iola »

I understand that Muammar Qaddafi is available...
Proletarians of the world, unite!
Cap'n Cat
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Mostly myself.
A.K.A.: LabiaInTheSunlight

Post by Cap'n Cat »

TwinTownBisonFan wrote:Obama was at the American Legion national convention in Minneapolis today...

Exactly.

All over the news here, too, you dumb fvcking Conks...........

:ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Cap'n Cat
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Cap'n Cat »

Yeah, and nice news source, too, dumbfvck.

:coffee:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Cap'n Cat wrote:
TwinTownBisonFan wrote:Obama was at the American Legion national convention in Minneapolis today...

Exactly.

American Legion must be headed by a donk donor. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cap'n Cat
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Cap'n Cat »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Cap'n Cat wrote:

Exactly.

Buncha warmonger fvcks like your friend, Cheney. Obama cast a spell over them.....again.

:coffee:
TwinTownBisonFan
Supporter
Supporter

AZGrizFan wrote:
Cap'n Cat wrote:

Exactly.

Legion tends to be non-partisan... VFW leans pretty hard to the right - Obama going there a few years ago was a big story.

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

TwinTownBisonFan wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

Legion tends to be non-partisan... VFW leans pretty hard to the right - Obama going there a few years ago was a big story.
Same thing. He picked the one most closely aligned with his platform, so when he makes what essentially amounts to s stump speech he won't get booed off the stage. :lol:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Wedgebuster wrote:VFW (very frail warriors) kind of piss me off with their attitudes. They can suck it.
1st of all its pretty repugnant that anyone would harbor that attitude towards those American war vets who are very frail- the WWII and Korean War vets. :ohno: :ohno:

2nd of all, they're not all frail. The VFW is for vets of ALL foreign wars the US has been involved in. Most of the Vietnam vets are in their 60s. Most of the Desert Storm Vets are in their 40s. And most of the vets from Iraq and Afghanistan are in their 20s-30s. There's probably more vets alive today from Vietnam & the 1st & 2nd Gulf Wars & Afghanistan than from WWII and Korea.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

BDKJMU wrote:
Wedgebuster wrote:VFW (very frail warriors) kind of piss me off with their attitudes. They can suck it.
1st of all its pretty repugnant that anyone would harbor that attitude towards those American war vets who are very frail- the WWII and Korean War vets. :ohno: :ohno:

2nd of all, they're not all frail. The VFW is for vets of ALL foreign wars the US has been involved in. Most of the Vietnam vets are in their 60s. Most of the Desert Storm Vets are in their 40s. And most of the vets from Iraq and Afghanistan are in their 20s-30s. There's probably more vets alive today from Vietnam & the 1st & 2nd Gulf Wars & Afghanistan than from WWII and Korea.
So, are you going to address the fact that he was already speaking at another vet organization's conference?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Grizalltheway wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:

So, are you going to address the fact that he was already speaking at another vet organization's conference?
I wonder which one asked first.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote: So, are you going to address the fact that he was already speaking at another vet organization's conference?
Why don't you or BDK tell us?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Grizalltheway wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
I have no idea. Why all the pent up anger? :coffee:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Grizalltheway wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
It doesn't matter. Their keynote addresses weren't on the same day.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

BDKJMU wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote: Why don't you or BDK tell us?
It doesn't matter. Their keynote addresses weren't on the same day.
How far apart were they? Last time I checked, you guys were saying he should be devoting 24 hours a day to creating jobs, anyway.