Football Championship Subdivision discussions
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Congrats to the CAA

Post by dbackjon »

http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-state-spor ... ate_sports" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:thumb:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: Congrats to the CAA

Post by SuperHornet »

Well, well, well.
GA St just relgated themselves to perpetual anonymity.

Their complaint about the CAA was that it was too stretched out N-S and therefore cost athletes class time, yet they join a conference that is stretched out E-W. Now, that makes about as much sense as eating eggs soaked in boys' urine.

:rofl:

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Jawjuh State, we hardly knew ye! :rofl:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
jmufan
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: The Dukes

Post by jmufan »

I guess it is cheaper to fly east west then north south. It could be that Yankee confederate thing.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
MrTitleist
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by MrTitleist »

http://www.georgiastatesports.com/ViewA ... M_ID=12700" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ImageImageImageImageImage
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Only Georgia State fans think that this is an upgrade. They just relegated all their sports to irrelevancy just so they can make some crappy bowl once every decade. Good riddance...they never brought anything to this conference...the most useless school to ever play under the CAA banner.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

∞∞∞ wrote:Only Georgia State fans think that this is an upgrade. They just relegated all their sports to irrelevancy just so they can make some crappy bowl once every decade. Good riddance...they never brought anything to this conference...the most useless school to ever play under the CAA banner.

Yup - all seven of them are crowing about how this makes them relevant... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
:thumb:
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

There's another GSU? :? :coffee:
TribeFanInNC
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: William & Mary Tribe

Post by TribeFanInNC »

Here is an excerpt of CAA Commissioner Tom Yeager's comments about the GaST departure (Emphasis added)

"Georgia State's withdrawal from the CAA and CAA Football is predicated on the university's desire to reclassify to FBS football which requires membership in an FBS league. We've been aware that GSU was having discussions with the Sun Belt Conference as the CAA could not accommodate that desire within GSU's timeframe."

http://www.caasports.com/ViewArticle.db ... EM_ID=8500" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, does that mean that it is the long-term intent of CAA football to reclassify as an FBS conference?
TheDancinMonarch
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Old Dominion

Post by TheDancinMonarch »

∞∞∞ wrote:Only Georgia State fans think that this is an upgrade. They just relegated all their sports to irrelevancy just so they can make some crappy bowl once every decade. Good riddance...they never brought anything to this conference...the most useless school to ever play under the CAA banner.
Couldn't have said it any better.
Grizpsych
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: That Guy

Post by Grizpsych »

SuperHornet wrote:Well, well, well.

Their complaint about the CAA was that it was too stretched out N-S and therefore cost athletes class time, yet they join a conference that is stretched out E-W. Now, that makes about as much sense as eating eggs soaked in boys' urine.

This came out of your brain! Maybe I will hang out here more often.
ImageImageImageImage
rebla 49er
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: The 49ers

Post by rebla 49er »

TribeFanInNC wrote:Here is an excerpt of CAA Commissioner Tom Yeager's comments about the GaST departure (Emphasis added)

"Georgia State's withdrawal from the CAA and CAA Football is predicated on the university's desire to reclassify to FBS football which requires membership in an FBS league. We've been aware that GSU was having discussions with the Sun Belt Conference as the CAA could not accommodate that desire within GSU's timeframe."

http://www.caasports.com/ViewArticle.db ... EM_ID=8500" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, does that mean that it is the long-term intent of CAA football to reclassify as an FBS conference?
That is a good read, Tribefan
A countryman between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.
-Benjamin Franklin
Seawolf97
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: StonyBrook
A.K.A.: SBU

Post by Seawolf97 »

Good for them ! Now maybe the door will open for Stonybrook who has meetings scheduled this summer with CAA officials.
jmufan
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: The Dukes

Post by jmufan »

I think it is just a matter of time.
GA St. MBB Fan
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Georgia State
A.K.A.: GSU Mens BB Fan

Post by GA St. MBB Fan »

4 schools within a 5.5 hour drive to Atlanta. The closest CAA FB school? ODU at 9 hrs. and 49 mins. Plus, we'll actually be put in a division that makes geographic sense. Not like being put in the CAA North Division like Yeager's plan.
Irrelevancy? Is that why Sun Belt schools: North Texas, FIU, and Middle Tennessee are all considered candidates for a C-USA invite? With some reporting that North Texas and FIU are as good as gone? (see: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). What's ODU's plan? Hope that the Big East doesn't realize that they're still an FCS school when they look to expand again?
collegesportsinfo
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: UMass
A.K.A.: Quinn, KingCal

Post by collegesportsinfo »

The Sun Belt will be split into 2 divisions though, to ease with travel. And unlike some of the other conferences, the members of the Sun Belt are more similar to the SEC in agreeing to a regional split, versus say, the ACC where Virginia refused to be in the "north". In the CAA, there is another school that is "blue" when proposed with being in a CAA northern division.

As for the potential Sun Belt divisions:

EAST:
FAU
FIU
* Georgia St.
WKU
MTSU
Troy

WEST:
South Alabama
ULL
ULM
North Texas
Arkansas St.
~UALR (non-football member)

And as we know, the Sun Belt is looking at other schools as well for their #12 spot:
Charlotte
UTSA
LA Tech
App St.
to name a few

And that said, North Texas and FIU are expected to join the CUSA/MWC alliance, which is why the Sun Belt is expected to expand by 3 more, even with the GA St. addition.

A very potential 2014 Sun Belt lineup...assuming App St. is not in the mix:

EAST:
FAU
* Georgia St.
* Charlotte
WKU
MTSU
Troy

WEST:
South Alabama
ULL
ULM
* LA Tech
Arkansas St.
* UTSA
- Quinn

CollegeSportsInfo.com:
NCAA Message Board Directory, Conference Realignment Forums & Expansion News

collegesportsinfo
Level1
Level1

TribeFanInNC wrote:Here is an excerpt of CAA Commissioner Tom Yeager's comments about the GaST departure (Emphasis added)

If by "timeframe", TY means his "lifetime", then he is accurate.

Let's see here...

The conference, even if it had the appropriate membership, would need to ask the NCAA to change their rules just for the CAA. And that requires a vote. Do you think that the other FBS conferences are going to vote in favor of more schools being added to the mix at the risk of those conferences losing money in the process?

But that's moot because the CAA isn't anywhere near having the number of schools that would be needed for an FBS conference.

In the CAA, you have 3...only 3...that have a chance: 2 are very deserving and are ideal examples of how a program should be run (and what is needed to be successful on and off the field): Delaware and JMU.

ODU is the 3rd if only because of the strong push out of the gate with FCS football. ODU is as real a candidate as any upgrade candidate would be.

That's it. 3 schools. We can exclude Towson, W&M...just don't have the level of support needed for FBS. W&M is great in FCS and again, an ideal prototype for the level of football.

For the associate members, Richmond is not in the mix. Neither is Maine. UNH might be, but a long shot.

For non-CAA members, you have UMass in FBS, Charlotte gearing up for it, and then App St. and Georgia Southern as schools that have put in the time to explore, but haven't pulled the trigger. App St. is closer to an upgrade than GA Southern, it would appear.

So how exactly is the CAA in any position to "upgrade" to FBS, even if there wasn't a specific NCAA rule saying they can't (even if they had the membership numbers)?

So what, does Yeager think that UMass and Charlotte are going to leave the multi-bid A10 for a baskebtall downgrade? That App St. and GA Southern will leave the SoCon for the CAA? Now, that I could see.

But wouldn't a more practical idea be for a NEW conference to form, get the basketball autobid in time, if FBS as a conference were an option?

That way, you could get: UMass, Delaware, JMU, ODU, Charlotte, App St., GA Southern, the only 7schools available for football at this time. But you could also pick-and-choose the best non-football schools as well...rather than be stuck with all those CAA bottom feeders as well as A10 lacklusters. Xavier, Dayton, St. Louis, GW, GMU, Richmond, VCU come to mind.

UMass, Delaware, JMU, ODU, Charlotte, App St., GA Southern
Xavier, Dayton, St. Louis, GW, GMU, Richmond, VCU

Hell of a lot better than Northeastern, Drexel, Towson, W&M, UNCW.

But it's all moot, sorry TY. NCAA rules exist to prohibit "conference" upgrades. And if you want to lure the number of schools you need to even get the membership numbers, you need to cut the dead weight in the CAA.
- Quinn

CollegeSportsInfo.com:

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

collegesportsinfo wrote:Let's see here...

The conference, even if it had the appropriate membership, would need to ask the NCAA to change their rules just for the CAA. And that requires a vote. Do you think that the other FBS conferences are going to vote in favor of more schools being added to the mix at the risk of those conferences losing money in the process?

But it's all moot, sorry TY. NCAA rules exist to prohibit "conference" upgrades. And if you want to lure the number of schools you need to even get the membership numbers, you need to cut the dead weight in the CAA.
The weakest part of your post is the perceived roadblock of the NCAA rules. Those rules are fairly recent and wouldn't stand up well in court if it went that far, exactly for the reason you say above - the rules exist so that the current FBS schools don't lose money to other schools that would add to the number of teams competing for those dollars. A rule is only as strong as it can be enforced, and that rule stands little to no chance of being enforceable, especially in court.

The CAA may very well not move up as a group, for many reasons including the other ones you cited, but that recent NCAA rule isn't going to be one of them.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
collegesportsinfo
Level1
Level1

GannonFan wrote:
collegesportsinfo wrote:Let's see here...

The weakest part of your post is the perceived roadblock of the NCAA rules. Those rules are fairly recent and wouldn't stand up well in court if it went that far, exactly for the reason you say above - the rules exist so that the current FBS schools don't lose money to other schools that would add to the number of teams competing for those dollars. A rule is only as strong as it can be enforced, and that rule stands little to no chance of being enforceable, especially in court.

The CAA may very well not move up as a group, for many reasons including the other ones you cited, but that recent NCAA rule isn't going to be one of them.

Then feel free to use reasons #1 - #99 as to why it will not happen and just omit reason #100 since you think that a FBS football conference with the likes of Towson, W&M, Richmond, all of whom would never come close to being considered FBS quality in the NCAA deciding factors.

As for the rule, it's pretty straight forward. The intent is to limit schools from upgrading as independents and requiring them to join an existing FBS conference that has proven to the NCAA that it can manage it's own...or is comprised of longtime FBS schools, ala MWC formation.

It's difficult to use a lawsuit as an argument, when it is not known if all schools seeking to upgrade have been rejected by existing FBS conferences. If UD, JMU and ODU want in the MAC for FB only, for all you know, the MAC could say "yes". App St. is on the CUSA/MWC radar even more than ever due to the alliance planning. Charlotte as well, both in fact also on the Sun Belt radar. It's hard to cry to the NCAA saying there is no room in the inn and we need to sue, when those schools could have a place for them in FBS.
- Quinn

CollegeSportsInfo.com:

∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Irrelevancy....

...What's ODU's plan? Hope that the Big East doesn't realize that they're still an FCS school when they look to expand again?
I don't really care because sports are simply an interest I enjoy discussing. As long as I like ODU, I'm not upset that my school lacks exposure. Why should I care about what someone who has no affiliation with my school thinks about ODU? This whole BCS/FBS/FCS thing is simply to stroke message board dicks and I'd rather enjoy a quality product on the field and a good time with friends instead of joining a shitty conference just to say "more exposure."

In the end, sports accomplishments don't matter in the grand scheme of life unless you're an actual athlete. Ultimately, it is an individual accomplishment even if it's a team sport. No one cares about your school or your school's achievements after the game. GSU could win a BCS Championship, some message boards posters from schools around the country will stroke your dick and congratulate you, talking heads will say nice things, you'll thank everyone acting as if you're the athlete and the coach that won it, and then no one will care and the cycle will repeat. The sport will have accomplished nothing to advance humanity except in the lives of some athletes, countless seasons will come and go, and all you'll have done is use another person's accomplishment to fulfill your ego. Then one day you'll wake up an old man, realize that convincing others your school is awesome in sports didn't matter at all, and die.

Stop being part of the problem where we're all bullshitting ourselves so we can get stroked by strangers. Just enjoy sports as an interest to discuss and stop thinking of it as anything more because it's not.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

collegesportsinfo wrote:As for the potential Sun Belt divisions:

EAST:
FAU
FIU
* Georgia St.
WKU
MTSU
Troy

WEST:
South Alabama
ULL
ULM
North Texas
Arkansas St.
I just threw up a little in my mouth. :x
Cap'n Cat
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Mostly myself.
A.K.A.: LabiaInTheSunlight

Post by Cap'n Cat »

89Hen wrote:
collegesportsinfo wrote:As for the potential Sun Belt divisions:

EAST:
FAU
FIU
* Georgia St.
WKU
MTSU
Troy

WEST:
South Alabama
ULL
ULM
North Texas
Arkansas St.
I just threw up a little in my mouth. :x

Good GAWD, that's an ugly, nowhere conference!

:yikes:
collegesportsinfo
Level1
Level1

Cap'n Cat wrote:
89Hen wrote: I just threw up a little in my mouth. :x

Good GAWD, that's an ugly, nowhere conference!

:yikes:

If wer'e comparing it to conferences in the same region like the SEC and ACC, or across the country like Pac-12, Big Ten and Big 12, you sure are correct. It's a real dog, that's for sure...I think 100% of us would agree. In fact, I'm sure that most Sun Belt ADs would agree :)

That said, if we're comparing it to FBS conferences, then there certainly is more of an argument. Take a look at the Big Sky. It stretches from Sacramento, north to Washington, south to Arizona and east to North Dakota...with Tier 2 athletic programs in most of the states, with only Montana as the state representative where the conference has the state flagship schools for athletics. The Southland isn't exactly a model of excellence right now, relying on the powerful Houston Baptist football program to be, losing 2 football schools (and another non-football school), and eyeing potential D2 upgrades along with the mighty UTPA.

Sun Belt, ugly? For sure, when you compare it to BCS conferences.
- Quinn

CollegeSportsInfo.com:

Purple Reign
I am a fan of: James Madison
A.K.A.: Purple Reign

Post by Purple Reign »

From 1987 thru 1996 Marshall goes 23-6 in the 1AA playoffs. They win two championships and are runner ups 4 times.What and awesome run ! GaSt is just starting it`s first full season in the CAA and then moving up to 1A. Is the Sun Belt that hard up for new teams ? I would rather compete for championships at the 1AA level then go to 1A and never be able to compete with teams like Alabama and Ohio State.I can`t wait for October 27th when GaST comes to Bridgeforth Stadium for the JMU Homecoming . :rofl:
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." - James Madison
Seahawks08
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Villanova

Post by Seahawks08 »

In the CAA, you have 3...only 3...that have a chance: 2 are very deserving and are ideal examples of how a program should be run (and what is needed to be successful on and off the field): Delaware and JMU.

ODU is the 3rd if only because of the strong push out of the gate with FCS football. ODU is as real a candidate as any upgrade candidate would be.

I guess Villanova doesn't play in the CAA anymore. :roll: