House passes sweeping national service expansion

Political discussions
hank scorpio
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: UM

House passes sweeping national service expansion

Post by hank scorpio »

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The House of Representatives easily passed legislation Tuesday to strengthen national community service efforts by boosting funding for thousands of volunteers in fields ranging from clean energy to health care and education.

The Edward M. Kennedy Serve America Act, recently renamed to honor the Massachusetts senator's sponsorship of the measure, passed the House by a vote of 275-149. Democrats supported it almost unanimously; a strong majority of Republicans were opposed.

The Senate passed identical legislation Thursday by a vote of 78-20. President Obama, who spent several years working as a community organizer, is expected to sign it into law shortly.

"At this time of economic crisis, we need service and volunteering more than ever. This bill will unleash a new era of service for our nation at a time of great need," Sandy Scott, a spokesman for the federally funded community service program AmeriCorps, told CNN.

Among other things, the bill would more than triple the number of positions in the AmeriCorps program, from 75,000 to 250,000, by 2017.

The increase could have a huge ripple effect in national volunteerism rates. Last year, 75,000 AmeriCorps members recruited and supervised 2.2 million community volunteers, according to Scott.

At the same time, the bill would create four new national service corps and several other initiatives, including a so-called "Summer of Service" program to spur greater community outreach by middle and high school students. Older Americans would also be encouraged to volunteer more through the creation of a "Silver Scholars" program, under which individuals 55 and older who perform 350 hours of service receive a $1,000 award.

The legislation would increase the existing AmeriCorps educational stipend offered to volunteers to $5,350 -- the same amount as the maximum Pell college grant.

Critics contend the bill is fiscally irresponsible in light of the current economic downturn. They also argue that the concept of volunteerism is undermined by providing financial compensation for community service.

The bill is expected to cost roughly $6 billion over the next five years
D1B
Chris's Bitch
Chris's Bitch
I am a fan of: Morehead State

Re: House passes sweeping national service expansion

Post by D1B »

Great day for America. Obama scores again. :mrgreen:
"Sarah Palin absolutely blew AWAY the audience tonight. If there was any doubt as to whether she was savvy enough, tough enough or smart enough to carry the mantle of Vice President, she put those fears to rest tonight. She took on Barack Obama DIRECTLY on every issue and exposed... She did it with warmth and humor, and came across as the every-person....it's becoming mroe and more clear that she was a genius pick for McCain."

AZGrizfan - Summer 2008
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

D1B wrote:Great day for America. Obama scores again. :mrgreen:
Question, how does Obama get credit for something a Ed. Kennedy authored and put into legislation?
TwinTownBisonFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by TwinTownBisonFan »

clenz wrote:
Question, how does Obama get credit for something a Ed. Kennedy authored and put into legislation?
It was the White House that wrote the bill... Kennedy was the Senate's chief sponsor.
North Dakota State University Bison 2011 and 2012 National Champions

D1B
Chris's Bitch
Chris's Bitch

Post by D1B »

clenz wrote:

It was the White House that wrote the bill... Kennedy was the Senate's chief sponsor.
"Sarah Palin absolutely blew AWAY the audience tonight. If there was any doubt as to whether she was savvy enough, tough enough or smart enough to carry the mantle of Vice President, she put those fears to rest tonight. She took on Barack Obama DIRECTLY on every issue and exposed... She did it with warmth and humor, and came across as the every-person....it's becoming mroe and more clear that she was a genius pick for McCain."

AZGrizfan - Summer 2008
TwinTownBisonFan
Supporter
Supporter

is there an echo in here?

BigApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Appalachian
A.K.A.: Thread Killer

Post by BigApp »

great, a $6 BILLION victory...
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

ImageImage

Follow Barack Obama's Teleprompter Blog http://baracksteleprompter.blogspot.com/
D1B
Chris's Bitch
Chris's Bitch

Post by D1B »

BigApp wrote:
Better investment than 6 billion to an oil company, civilian defense contractor or the military.
:idea:

AZGrizfan - Summer 2008
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

D1B wrote:
BigApp wrote:
Better investment than 6 billion to an oil company, civilian defense contractor or the military.
Why does it have to go to ANYBODY? Why can't we just keep it ourselves? :roll: :roll: :roll:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Appaholic
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana, WCU & FCS
A.K.A.: Rehab-aholic

Post by Appaholic »

AZGrizFan wrote:
D1B wrote:
Why does it have to go to ANYBODY? Why can't we just keep it ourselves? :roll: :roll: :roll:
:lol: :lol: ohh...AZ, that's cute.... :lol: ....you're killing me here..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.takeahikewnc.com

“It’s like someone found a manic, doom-prophesying hobo in a sandwich board, shaved him, shot him full of Zoloft and gave him a show.” - The Buffalo Beast commenting on Glenn Beck

Consume. Watch TV. Be Silent. Work. Die.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Appaholic wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
:lol: :lol: ohh...AZ, that's cute.... :lol: ....you're killing me here..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I know, I know... :cry: :cry: :cry:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

AZGrizFan wrote:
D1B wrote:
Because it would be selfish and unpatriotic!! -- J. R. Biden, Esq. :P
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
D1B
Chris's Bitch
Chris's Bitch

Post by D1B »

AZGrizFan wrote:
D1B wrote:
Z, why do blow loads every time Reagan is mentioned? He did the same shit - spent his way out of a recession. The difference is Obama aint spending it all on the military. At least there is a return with this program.

AZGrizfan - Summer 2008
TwinTownBisonFan
Supporter
Supporter

D1B wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Z, why do blow loads every time Reagan is mentioned? He did the same shit - spent his way out of a recession. The difference is Obama aint spending it all on the military. At least there is a return with this program.
ba-zing!

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

D1B wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
How much of the stimulus package is being spent on infrastructure, education, etc. Projects with at least a reasonable prospect of real long-term benefits. Vs. how much is being spent on pork projects that provide short-term benefit for political supporters?

And this isn't a criticism of Obama, it's a criticism of all of the short-sighted blowhards in Washington who lack the leadership and vision to do what is best for this country.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
TwinTownBisonFan
Supporter
Supporter

UNI88 wrote:
D1B wrote:
How much of the stimulus package is being spent on infrastructure, education, etc. Projects with at least a reasonable prospect of real long-term benefits. Vs. how much is being spent on pork projects that provide short-term benefit for political supporters?

And this isn't a criticism of Obama, it's a criticism of all of the short-sighted blowhards in Washington who lack the leadership and vision to do what is best for this country.
frankly it's a question of definitions. i think people have vastly different definitions of "pork"

a huge amount is being spent on infrastructure, research, health care, etc. weatherization gets a good chunk of funding with has multiple benefits. a friend of mine is a congressional staffer whose job it is to help local businesses and organziations and homeowners get stim money for all manner of things. The money is already pumping in to the economy - 16 large transportation projects are already underway because of this funding.