DO YOU THINK THE EWU GATEWAY PROJECT WILL BE BUILT?

Football Championship Subdivision discussions

DO YOU THINK THE EWU GATEWAY PROJECT WILL BE BUILT?

Yes, for sure
27%
Yes, IF there is state funding
13%
Yes, IF there is corperate naming rights
3%
Yes, BUT not in the next 10 years
20%
No, it wont get built. Why?
37%

Total votes: 30

HenZoneNation
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: The Dude

Re: DO YOU THINK THE EWU GATEWAY PROJECT WILL BE BUILT?

Post by HenZoneNation »

What was Montana's attendance prior to WaGriz?

We've pretty much averaged a sell out for the last 3 years, so demand is increasing. I know a number of people who watched games from home because they literally couldn't get tickets. The jump to 16,000 is a big one, but with increased enrollment, and the fact you'd have guaranteed sellouts for at least the Montana, MSU, and homecoming games, I think it makes sense to look into the future.

If you build it...[/quote]

This is a very good point and brings up a question I think a lot of colleges are asking themselves...how valuable are these stadiums to promoting the programs? I can tell you as NY giants fans, I hate our new stadium. They jacked up our ticket prices, forced us to purchase PSL's, and in return we got a dull gray stadium with one escalator per entrance (it's literally a twenty minute ordeal to get from the entrance to the top level of the stadium). The result has been a massive decline in season ticket holders. They still sell out, but that 65 year waiting list is gone and they actively have to recruit fresh season ticket holders every year. The corporate boxes always struggle to sell out. But they went about it the wrong way.

I think Stadiums in college can, when done well, really add to the atmosphere. Love the red turf or hate, you can't argue that it wasn't good for EWU in regards to national attention. Having this project go through and making the stadium around it look more impressive can only help. The question though is how much will it help? Will the pros eventually out weigh the cons.

I know at UD, our administration has historically dragged their feet when it comes to football. Our Football program reads like bad fiction. From being one of the last schools to offer scholarships, allow freshmen to play, give adequate resources to the facilities, we have managed to put ourselves squarely in the shadows of programs like Rutgers, Temple, and UConn. Even now, with all the excitement that other FCS schools are generating with upgrades, we still struggle to keep up. To be fair, they have added indoor facilities, beer gardens, and tried to make the pre-game atmosphere more inviting, but aside from a few banners, we have really dropped the ball when it comes to football and I think it has had SOME, NOT ALL, to do with the lack of interest in the program.

I hope you guys get this done...Would look really cool.
The Dude Abides

Blue Hens Football
671-435-46
ewudood
I am a fan of: The Eastern Washington U.

Post by ewudood »

Interesting points HenZoneNation. EWU has been selling out their stadium so with averaging about 9k in attendance, it's not that much of a stretch to get to 15k to 16k. Traditionally they only saw large crowds with UM and MSU, but the last few years even games against Sac and Weber State have sold beyond official capacity. Add a glitzy new stadium to replace our current one that screams "small time!" and the Spokane fanbase would show up. Not that I support it, but I bet EWU could hit 15k if they immediately moved their games to downtown Joe Albi stadium next year.

I personally get the feeling that EWU is moving quicker than us Eagle fans think on this project. From my understanding they had no problem getting the millions they needed to get the plans finished. Of course, we'll never get a peep out of the admin in regards to the fundraising but that's expected. Even if they're doing great, it wouldn't be in their best interest to announce that. Why would prospective donors step up of they get the impression others have already donated to the cause?

In EWU's case, the pros of the stadium far outweigh the cons. Their stadium capacity is already maxed out and they have good, solid data to show upward trends in attendance. The Gateway Project was also smartly designed so that while football is the main beneficiary, it also includes other uses for the student body. Although the final cost is around 70 million (pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things for a stadium), I believe they won't need to have the entire amount raised before construction would start. EWU also has seen spikes in enrollment interest after reaching the NCAA tournament and winning the FCS, so they've gotten a taste and some proof that athletic success is a great form of advertisement.
grizcountry420
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: The University of Montana

Post by grizcountry420 »

ewudood wrote:Interesting points HenZoneNation. EWU has been selling out their stadium so with averaging about 9k in attendance, it's not that much of a stretch to get to 15k to 16k. Traditionally they only saw large crowds with UM and MSU, but the last few years even games against Sac and Weber State have sold beyond official capacity. Add a glitzy new stadium to replace our current one that screams "small time!" and the Spokane fanbase would show up. Not that I support it, but I bet EWU could hit 15k if they immediately moved their games to downtown Joe Albi stadium next year.

I personally get the feeling that EWU is moving quicker than us Eagle fans think on this project. From my understanding they had no problem getting the millions they needed to get the plans finished. Of course, we'll never get a peep out of the admin in regards to the fundraising but that's expected. Even if they're doing great, it wouldn't be in their best interest to announce that. Why would prospective donors step up of they get the impression others have already donated to the cause?

In EWU's case, the pros of the stadium far outweigh the cons. Their stadium capacity is already maxed out and they have good, solid data to show upward trends in attendance. The Gateway Project was also smartly designed so that while football is the main beneficiary, it also includes other uses for the student body. Although the final cost is around 70 million (pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things for a stadium), I believe they won't need to have the entire amount raised before construction would start. EWU also has seen spikes in enrollment interest after reaching the NCAA tournament and winning the FCS, so they've gotten a taste and some proof that athletic success is a great form of advertisement.

Dood! That has to be one of the most sugar coated posts ive seen in a long time.

:lol:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

grizcountry420 wrote:
ewudood wrote:Interesting points HenZoneNation. EWU has been selling out their stadium so with averaging about 9k in attendance, it's not that much of a stretch to get to 15k to 16k. Traditionally they only saw large crowds with UM and MSU, but the last few years even games against Sac and Weber State have sold beyond official capacity. Add a glitzy new stadium to replace our current one that screams "small time!" and the Spokane fanbase would show up. Not that I support it, but I bet EWU could hit 15k if they immediately moved their games to downtown Joe Albi stadium next year.

Dood! That has to be one of the most sugar coated posts ive seen in a long time.

Footsteps....
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern Washington

Post by EWURanger »

grizcountry420 wrote:

Interesting, I didn't think it was sugar coated at all. Good post.
grizcountry420
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: The University of Montana

Post by grizcountry420 »

To say that you guys can get 15k to 16k to show up on Saturdays is like saying Montana should be able to draw 40k to 50k each home game, its not going to happen other than that, it was a pretty good post..

I wish you guys the best of luck.

8-)
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter

Post by EWURanger »

grizcountry420 wrote:To say that you guys can get 15k to 16k to show up on Saturdays is like saying Montana should be able to draw 40k to 50k each home game, its not going to happen other than that, it was a pretty good post..

8-)
Not really. EWU resides in a metro area of over 600k. Missoula is a fraction of that. Potential for increased attendance has more to do with population base than what you're drawing right now, or the size of your current stadium...I.E. Montana owns the majority of the share of their market...EWU doesn't, but even if we gain small increases in that market share our attendance could easily get to a 15k average with a better facility.
GoApps70
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Appalachian State
A.K.A.: Apps

Post by GoApps70 »

Who was the genius that thought up this project.
Bet they worked for the BO administration.
Appalachian State University
Boone, North Carolina
Just below Virginia, just next to Tennessee, but
up above all universities.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GoApps70 wrote:Who was the genius that thought up this project.
Bet they worked for the BO administration.
Cough, cough, red turf, cough cough...
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

EWURanger wrote:
grizcountry420 wrote:To say that you guys can get 15k to 16k to show up on Saturdays is like saying Montana should be able to draw 40k to 50k each home game, its not going to happen other than that, it was a pretty good post..

8-)
Not really. EWU resides in a metro area of over 600k.
And with a title and multiple deep playoff runs/top 5 finishes/award winners you still haven't taped that market.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

clenz wrote:
EWURanger wrote:
Not really. EWU resides in a metro area of over 600k.
And with a title and multiple deep playoff runs/top 5 finishes/award winners you still haven't taped that market.
It's been tapped but...

1) These things take time and we have shown considerable improvement in ticket sales and local media coverage over the last three years.

2) Stadium improvements that take us from a "high school/small college" perception to legitimate DI venue help immensely.

3) The other competing handles (WSU, GU, Chiefs, Shock) are still there. It takes time to get the stick in the mud Bud Light drinker (WSU fan) to try a craft brew. But it's happening more and more every year. :nod:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

A.D. Bill Chaves just announced that 2014 season ticket sales have already surpassed 2013. :thumb:
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

Post by BlackFalkin »

:nod: :nod: :nod: :coffee:
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter

Post by EWURanger »

One thing that's been stated in the past is that the program needs to stabilize attendance at around 10k per game to go forward. We're right around that number right now and word is that the 2014 season ticket sales will greatly surpass the 2013 mark which will also help that a great deal. I'm just getting tired of the "quiet phase" and am ready to see something happen.
GAD_SU
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Southern U.
A.K.A.: GAD

Post by GAD_SU »

EWURanger wrote:

8-)
Not really. EWU resides in a metro area of over 600k. Missoula is a fraction of that. Potential for increased attendance has more to do with population base than what you're drawing right now, or the size of your current stadium...I.E. Montana owns the majority of the share of their market...EWU doesn't, but even if we gain small increases in that market share our attendance could easily get to a 15k average with a better facility.
What percent of that 600k identifies with EWU? Just cause you're in a large metro area doesn't always mean the people will follow your team (Georgetown, Howard, Towson, Morgan State)are in large metro areas but none are known for having large fan followings
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GAD_SU wrote:
EWURanger wrote:
What percent of that 600k identifies with EWU? Just cause you're in a large metro area doesn't always mean the people will follow your team (Georgetown, Howard, Towson, Morgan State)are in large metro areas but none are known for having large fan followings
I've read upwards of 30k EWU alumni reside in Spokane County. More so than Gonzaga, Idaho, and WSU alumna combined.

As mentioned before, EWU was a commuter school for much of the 80's and 90's with little school identification. That has changed dramatically in the past decade.

Couple that with 6 times the population of Missoula and unaffiliated fans, and it's not hard to see Ranger's point.
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter

Post by EWURanger »

kalm wrote:
GAD_SU wrote: What percent of that 600k identifies with EWU? Just cause you're in a large metro area doesn't always mean the people will follow your team (Georgetown, Howard, Towson, Morgan State)are in large metro areas but none are known for having large fan followings
I've read upwards of 30k EWU alumni reside in Spokane County. More so than Gonzaga, Idaho, and WSU alumna combined.

As mentioned before, EWU was a commuter school for much of the 80's and 90's with little school identification. That has changed dramatically in the past decade.

Couple that with 6 times the population of Missoula and unaffiliated fans, and it's not hard to see Ranger's point.
Most recent figures put 35k alumni in the greater Spokane area.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

kalm wrote:Couple that with 6 times the population of Missoula and unaffiliated fans, and it's not hard to see Ranger's point.
UM's base of support is much larger than just Missoula County—try most of the western half of the state. Following the Griz (or the 'Cats) is more than just school affiliation, it's a state pride thing. That's why Griz/Cat is such a huge deal in a way that is disproportionate to the two schools' enrollments or the state's population. I doubt you'll see that level of "nationalism" for EWU anytime soon.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
kalm wrote:Couple that with 6 times the population of Missoula and unaffiliated fans, and it's not hard to see Ranger's point.
UM's base of support is much larger than just Missoula County—try most of the western half of the state. Following the Griz (or the 'Cats) is more than just school affiliation, it's a state pride thing. That's why Griz/Cat is such a huge deal in a way that is disproportionate to the two schools' enrollments or the state's population. I doubt you'll see that level of "nationalism" for EWU anytime soon.
Probably not, but the population base within a half hour could make up for that.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

EWURanger wrote:One thing that's been stated in the past is that the program needs to stabilize attendance at around 10k per game to go forward. We're right around that number right now and word is that the 2014 season ticket sales will greatly surpass the 2013 mark which will also help that a great deal. I'm just getting tired of the "quiet phase" and am ready to see something happen.
What happens when Baldwin leaves? And he WILL leave...and the next coach isn't so successful? :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

AZGrizFan wrote:
EWURanger wrote:One thing that's been stated in the past is that the program needs to stabilize attendance at around 10k per game to go forward. We're right around that number right now and word is that the 2014 season ticket sales will greatly surpass the 2013 mark which will also help that a great deal. I'm just getting tired of the "quiet phase" and am ready to see something happen.
What happens when Baldwin leaves? And he WILL leave...and the next coach isn't so successful? :coffee:
Then we'll be on UM's level. :coffee:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Only 11 more conference championships in a row, 13 more playoff appearances, in a row, and six more national championship appearances and then and ONLY then will you be on Montana's level. :coffee:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
Only 11 more conference championships in a row, 13 more playoff appearances, in a row, and six more national championship appearances and then and ONLY then will you be on Montana's level. :coffee:
Yeah...that was an amazing run. While it lasted. :coffee:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Yeah...that was an amazing run. While it lasted. :coffee:
When is EWU going to have a "run"? :coffee:
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
Appearances... :rofl:

Moving to TX has got you sounding like a SHSU fan. :?