Will Appalachian State to Win It All In 2008?

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
TigerStripe
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Clemson

Will Appalachian State to Win It All In 2008?

Post by TigerStripe »

Do you expect Appalachian State to win the national title again in 2008?
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: Will Appalachian State to Win It All In 2008?

Post by SuperHornet »

Appy is done.
SuperHornet wrote:Next few national champs:

'08: Montana
'09: Montana
'10: Sac State
'11: Manure Pile
'12: Montana
'13: Cow Poly
'14: Hofstra
'15: Liberty

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
OpieGSU
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern
A.K.A.: Opie

Post by OpieGSU »

Montana isn't the powerhouse they used to be.
Welcome to the club. :geek:
MrTitleist
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by MrTitleist »

It's a long and distinguished list, though!
ImageImageImageImageImage
OpieGSU
Level1
Level1

Post by OpieGSU »

MrTitleist wrote:It's a long and distinguished list, though!
Not really.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Appalachain State? Who?

Seriously folks, it's way to early to even say if they can or not. Remember how mid season '07, some were saying that AppState won't make it to the playoffs?

I think it's time for Western Carolina to start winning...it's thier time!
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
OpieGSU
Level1
Level1

Post by OpieGSU »

MarkCCU wrote:I think it's time for Western Carolina to start winning...it's thier time!
HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAA!
putter
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by putter »

App proved this year that as long as there is that guy named Edwards calling the shots they will be the favorites. They got a little lucky this year but everyone does.
‎"Born in other countries, yet believing you could be happy in this, our laws acknowledge, as they should do, your right to join us in society, conforming, as I doubt not you will do, to our established rules. That these rules shall be as equal as prudential considerations will admit, will certainly be the aim of our legislatures, general and particular." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Hugh White, 1801
BigApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Appalachian
A.K.A.: Thread Killer

Post by BigApp »

MarkCCU wrote: I think it's time for Western Carolina to start winning...it's thier time!
:stupid:
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

ImageImage

Follow Barack Obama's Teleprompter Blog http://baracksteleprompter.blogspot.com/
skinny_uncle
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: SIU

Post by skinny_uncle »

No.
"You know you are getting old when time flies whether you are having fun or not."

BigApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BigApp »

skinny_uncle wrote:No.
didn't you say that last year?? :lol:
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

ImageImage

Follow Barack Obama's Teleprompter Blog http://baracksteleprompter.blogspot.com/
TigerStripe
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Clemson

Post by TigerStripe »

Does anyone know how many players they'll lose out of this year's team?
ASU Kep
I am a fan of: ASU

Post by ASU Kep »

TigerStripe wrote:Does anyone know how many players they'll lose out of this year's team?
Most of our losses are in our secondary and O-Line. We lose Lynch, Touchstone, Howard, and Wozeah in the seconday. On O-Line we lose Kerry Brown, John Holt, Scott Suttle, and Nic Cardwell at TE. We also lose a few other impact players like K-Rich, back-up QB Trey Elder, our kicker Julian Rauch, WR's Hans Batichon (probably best hands on the team) and SI coverman Dexter Jackson, and our under-rated long snapper Russell Wilson.

While a lot of those guys are All-American type players, we do have a LOT of guys with lots of talent and at least a little experience ready to fill in. Honestly, the massive rash of injuries we experienced this year will probably pay off next year as a LOT of our new starters next year saw significant PT this year.

Even taking what is shaping up to be a great looking recruiting class out of the picture, we're looking fine at filling the O-Line back out with good players, and we're already so deep at the WR position we should be set. The kicking game will probably be something of a question mark until we see the new guy get some actual game time, but the biggest question will undoubtably be our secondary.

Leonard Love and Cortez Gilbert both have seen a lot of playing time, and should do well filling two of the spots. Sophomores Mark Lagree and Jared Reine look (as of now) to be the frontrunners in filling in the other spots. I've heard a great deal about the athleticism of these guys, but as far as experience and the uncanny ability to pick off some passes that guys (especially the maybe not-so-athletic Lynch had), it's anyone's guess.

Overall, I'm not too concerned about our offense. We need to lock down a solid #2 behind Armanti, but our starters should be fine. Devon Moore should fill in great for K-Rich with a little less speed but more power. On the defensive side of the ball, our front seven looks to be one of (if not THE) nastiest group we've ever had here. We return the entire D-Line and starting LB-core, and have several more extremely talented guys that'll challenge for a spot/provide depth. It should be awfully tough to run on us next year, and we should get excellent pressure on opposing QBs. The biggest Q-mark, again, is our secondary. In addition to the potential replacements I already mentioned, we've already got a commit for a pretty solid DB who should definitely see some time next year. Look for one or two more of those guys as we fill out our class.

Not to sound cocky, but the general consensus (at least amongst ASU fans) is that if this group can "gel" together and replace some of the awesome LEADERSHIP of some of the guys that we're losing, we should be very much in the hunt for a title again next year. On paper at least, we look good. Who knows?
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

ASU Kep wrote:
TigerStripe wrote:Does anyone know how many players they'll lose out of this year's team?
Most of our losses are in our secondary and O-Line. We lose Lynch, Touchstone, Howard, and Wozeah in the seconday. On O-Line we lose Kerry Brown, John Holt, Scott Suttle, and Nic Cardwell at TE. We also lose a few other impact players like K-Rich, back-up QB Trey Elder, our kicker Julian Rauch, WR's Hans Batichon (probably best hands on the team) and SI coverman Dexter Jackson, and our under-rated long snapper Russell Wilson.

While a lot of those guys are All-American type players, we do have a LOT of guys with lots of talent and at least a little experience ready to fill in. Honestly, the massive rash of injuries we experienced this year will probably pay off next year as a LOT of our new starters next year saw significant PT this year.

Even taking what is shaping up to be a great looking recruiting class out of the picture, we're looking fine at filling the O-Line back out with good players, and we're already so deep at the WR position we should be set. The kicking game will probably be something of a question mark until we see the new guy get some actual game time, but the biggest question will undoubtably be our secondary.

Leonard Love and Cortez Gilbert both have seen a lot of playing time, and should do well filling two of the spots. Sophomores Mark Lagree and Jared Reine look (as of now) to be the frontrunners in filling in the other spots. I've heard a great deal about the athleticism of these guys, but as far as experience and the uncanny ability to pick off some passes that guys (especially the maybe not-so-athletic Lynch had), it's anyone's guess.

Overall, I'm not too concerned about our offense. We need to lock down a solid #2 behind Armanti, but our starters should be fine. Devon Moore should fill in great for K-Rich with a little less speed but more power. On the defensive side of the ball, our front seven looks to be one of (if not THE) nastiest group we've ever had here. We return the entire D-Line and starting LB-core, and have several more extremely talented guys that'll challenge for a spot/provide depth. It should be awfully tough to run on us next year, and we should get excellent pressure on opposing QBs. The biggest Q-mark, again, is our secondary. In addition to the potential replacements I already mentioned, we've already got a commit for a pretty solid DB who should definitely see some time next year. Look for one or two more of those guys as we fill out our class.

Not to sound cocky, but the general consensus (at least amongst ASU fans) is that if this group can "gel" together and replace some of the awesome LEADERSHIP of some of the guys that we're losing, we should be very much in the hunt for a title again next year. On paper at least, we look good. Who knows?
The biggest word in the english language...IF.....
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
ASU Kep

Post by ASU Kep »

Col Hogan wrote: The biggest word in the english language...IF.....
I agree. I was just pointing out who we're replacing and the fact the ON PAPER, we look like we could be scary good. We also could be mediocre. Leadership and team chemistry are extremely important. Staying focused and humble is important too, but I think our coaches do a good job of instilling that stuff.

...it also would help a lot if we can hang onto our assistants for another year or two. :twisted:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

ASU Kep wrote:
I agree. I was just pointing out who we're replacing and the fact the ON PAPER, we look like we could be scary good. We also could be mediocre. Leadership and team chemistry are extremely important. Staying focused and humble is important too, but I think our coaches do a good job of instilling that stuff.

...it also would help a lot if we can hang onto our assistants for another year or two. :twisted:
On PAPER, the Griz were supposed to be scary good this year too, returning 19 of 22 starters, senior laden, favorable schedule., etc., etc., etc. Obviously we all know how things worked out. I think every year is a crapshoot, but I won't ever rule out a team led by AE...as lone as he's healthy, ASU has a chance, in my book.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

ASU Kep wrote:

Trust me...it was not a slam...

On paper...and on the field...are sooo different...as you point out...

While you still have AE :evil: ...you have enough "holes" to fill that the sharks will be circling...looking for that weak point...

The chemistry and leadership better come together quick...good luck... :)
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
ASU Kep

Post by ASU Kep »

Col Hogan wrote: Trust me...it was not a slam...

On paper...and on the field...are sooo different...as you point out...

While you still have AE :evil: ...you have enough "holes" to fill that the sharks will be circling...looking for that weak point...

The chemistry and leadership better come together quick...good luck... :)
I'm might be going out on a limb here, but I doubt you really mean that. :mrgreen:

btw, rampant rumor has it that we are playing LSU nov. 13th next year in a "battle of the champions" game to be televised on ESPN.
PSUVikings
I am a fan of: Portland State

Post by PSUVikings »

In the post season App is unbeatable. If they get there(and they will) they will embarrass everyone, no team can play with them right now and no one will until Edwards graduates.
PSUVikings, PSUFansForum.BigSkyFans.com Admin
dmb805
I am a fan of: Appalachian State

Post by dmb805 »

i wouldnt say we are unbeatable in the playoffs. one fumble from jmu was the difference between a national championship and getting beat in the first round. luckily for us, it happened. although i will say, with jerry moore's experience and armanti's post season play and composure we will be very hard to beat as long as they are around.
BigApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BigApp »

dmb805 wrote: one fumble from jmu was the difference between a national championship and getting beat in the first round. luckily for us, it happened.
no, the difference in the game was Armanti's 5 yard TD run with 1:10 to go. A TD that gave us the LEAD. WE WERE AHEAD :!:

Their fumble prevented them from ATTEMPTING a fg to take the lead (and win).

Unless of course, you think a FG would have been automatic. Given the play of our FG defense unit over the last 3 years, that definitely would NOT have been the case.

ImageImage

dmb805

Post by dmb805 »

it wouldn't have been automatic at all. he did miss an extra point earlier (or blocked i can't remember) but what i was trying to point out was if they had not fumbled they could have had a legitimate shot at beating us. if we were to block it it wouldn't have surprised me at all, but inside the 10 you can't say they didn't have a chance.

do you remember what down it was?
BigApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BigApp »

fumbled on 3rd down I think

ImageImage

GoApps70
Level1
Level1
A.K.A.: Apps

Post by GoApps70 »

Ho-hum......even if JMU had kicked a field goal.....Appalachian scored in just over 20 seconds against Michigan AND Delaware.....no reason to expect we could not have done it again.
Appalachian State University
Boone, North Carolina
Just below Virginia, just next to Tennessee, but
up above all universities.
Appaholic
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana, WCU & FCS
A.K.A.: Rehab-aholic

Post by Appaholic »

Of course we'll win.....who's going to beat us? Montana? They can't get out of Missoula.....Ga South? Welcome to the world without Foster......,JMU? Don't even have a coach do they?
http://www.takeahikewnc.com

“It’s like someone found a manic, doom-prophesying hobo in a sandwich board, shaved him, shot him full of Zoloft and gave him a show.” - The Buffalo Beast commenting on Glenn Beck

Consume. Watch TV. Be Silent. Work. Die.