Clinton e-mailgate

Political discussions

How big a problem is this for Hillary in '16?

Meh, not a big deal
13%
Moderate, along the lines of Christie's Bridgegate
8%
Huge
59%
Pee in GATW's butt
21%

Total votes: 39

ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Clinton e-mailgate

Post by ASUG8 »

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/02/politics/ ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Washington (CNN)Hillary Clinton did not have a State Department email account while she served as America's top diplomat, a senior state department official said Monday, and instead used a personal email account during her four years on the job.

Using personal email as a sole method of communication appears to break rules outlined by the National Archives and Records Administration. The government agency stipulates that personal email can only be used in "emergency situations," and when used, the emails "are captured and managed in accordance with agency record-keeping practices."

According to the Times report, Clinton's "aides took no actions to have her personal emails preserved on department servers at the time."
"For government business, she emailed them on their Department accounts, with every expectation they would be retained," he said in an emailed statement. "When the Department asked former Secretaries last year for help ensuring their emails were in fact retained, we immediately said yes."

Despite Clinton using a personal email address, all of her emails to official government accounts would be archived as received mail by the people on the other end of the email. Her communication with people not using government emails, however, would likely not be automatically kept.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Clinton e-mailgate

Post by kalm »

ASUG8 wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/02/politics/ ... index.html
Washington (CNN)Hillary Clinton did not have a State Department email account while she served as America's top diplomat, a senior state department official said Monday, and instead used a personal email account during her four years on the job.

Using personal email as a sole method of communication appears to break rules outlined by the National Archives and Records Administration. The government agency stipulates that personal email can only be used in "emergency situations," and when used, the emails "are captured and managed in accordance with agency record-keeping practices."

According to the Times report, Clinton's "aides took no actions to have her personal emails preserved on department servers at the time."
"For government business, she emailed them on their Department accounts, with every expectation they would be retained," he said in an emailed statement. "When the Department asked former Secretaries last year for help ensuring their emails were in fact retained, we immediately said yes."

Despite Clinton using a personal email address, all of her emails to official government accounts would be archived as received mail by the people on the other end of the email. Her communication with people not using government emails, however, would likely not be automatically kept.
The Lois Lerner school of email management.
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ASUG8 »

kalm wrote:
The Lois Lerner school of email management.
:lol:
Kind of what I was thinking. Fortunately we have the NSA spying on everybody so there shouldn't be any problem digging these emails up, right? :lol:
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

I'm exhausted of Hillary. I would like to think I'm not alone. Her baggage of Bill fucking up on the Island of Underage Whores, the artist of his official WH portrait admitting he included Monica's dress and no wedding ring, all all this BS under Obama. You have to think her ship has sailed, right? I mean why put yourself through all the misery and humiliation? She's got money in the bank. Just let it go. That's what I would do. But I'm lazy.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

I'm gonna go out on a sturdy limb and suggest that she's not the first government official to do this.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

andy7171 wrote:I'm exhausted of Hillary. I would like to think I'm not alone. Her baggage of Bill **** up on the Island of Underage Whores, the artist of his official WH portrait admitting he included Monica's dress and no wedding ring, all all this BS under Obama. You have to think her ship has sailed, right? I mean why put yourself through all the misery and humiliation? She's got money in the bank. Just let it go. That's what I would do. But I'm lazy.
If not her who would the Democrats run? There's a dearth of decent candidates as it is and Hillary is by far one of the better candidates out there. I wouldn't be disappointed with a Clinton/Bush or a Clinton/Walker race. Compared to what we've had in the past few years both sides of the ticket could be pretty decent.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ASUG8 »

GannonFan wrote:
andy7171 wrote:I'm exhausted of Hillary. I would like to think I'm not alone. Her baggage of Bill **** up on the Island of Underage Whores, the artist of his official WH portrait admitting he included Monica's dress and no wedding ring, all all this BS under Obama. You have to think her ship has sailed, right? I mean why put yourself through all the misery and humiliation? She's got money in the bank. Just let it go. That's what I would do. But I'm lazy.
If not her who would the Democrats run? There's a dearth of decent candidates as it is and Hillary is by far one of the better candidates out there. I wouldn't be disappointed with a Clinton/Bush or a Clinton/Walker race. Compared to what we've had in the past few years both sides of the ticket could be pretty decent.
That's a good point. I think post-2008 the Dems all collectively hitched their wagons to Clinton in '16. If something blows up there isn't another truly viable candidate waiting in the wings to take the nomination.
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

If Hillary was murdering children with a chain saw and uploaded the video to YouTube women will still vote for her, they are not smart enough to not have tunnel vision and will try to elect her solely based on Clinton being the same gender.

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

For the life of me, I can't imagine why Hilary would even CONSIDER using personal email for work. Personal email is supposed to be just that: communication with family and friends. There's supposed to be an expectation of privacy there. I wouldn't want Joe Schmo at work having my personal info so he can blow up my home inbox with trivial chain emails.

Stupid!

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ASUG8 »

SuperHornet wrote:For the life of me, I can't imagine why Hilary would even CONSIDER using personal email for work. Personal email is supposed to be just that: communication with family and friends. There's supposed to be an expectation of privacy there. I wouldn't want Joe Schmo at work having my personal info so he can blow up my home inbox with trivial chain emails.

Stupid!
You know you can have multiple email accounts, right?
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly

Post by andy7171 »

SuperHornet wrote:For the life of me, I can't imagine why Hilary would even CONSIDER using personal email for work. Personal email is supposed to be just that: communication with family and friends. There's supposed to be an expectation of privacy there. I wouldn't want Joe Schmo at work having my personal info so he can blow up my home inbox with trivial chain emails.

Stupid!
Yeah. Hillary is worried about chain mails. :clap: :clap: :clap:
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ASUG8 »

You'd think someone in government would be a little suspicious about getting an email from hilla2016@aol.com or fupotus@yahoo.com when everybody else is using a .gov email.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

ASUG8 wrote:You'd think someone in government would be a little suspicious about getting an email from hilla2016@aol.com or fupa@yahoo.com when everybody else is using a .gov email.
Accuracy.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly

Post by andy7171 »

Grizalltheway wrote:
ASUG8 wrote:You'd think someone in government would be a little suspicious about getting an email from hilla2016@aol.com or fupa@yahoo.com when everybody else is using a .gov email.
Accuracy.
GD it!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: W&M

Post by tribe_pride »

Not being political in this response but I am shocked that the White House (or any real employer for that matter) would allow work e-mails to be sent by personal e-mails except in exceptional circumstances. Forget the government transparency reasons. Securitywise, her job made her deal with very secure information that the government servers were more equipped to handle than a third party. In addition, being able to track e-mails can be important for an employer and using personal e-mails prevents this especially when e-mailing 3rd parties.

I will say the same if I later hear that Rice or Powell did the same when they were in that position.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

tribe_pride wrote:Not being political in this response but I am shocked that the White House (or any real employer for that matter) would allow work e-mails to be sent by personal e-mails except in exceptional circumstances. Forget the government transparency reasons. Securitywise, her job made her deal with very secure information that the government servers were more equipped to handle than a third party. In addition, being able to track e-mails can be important for an employer and using personal e-mails prevents this especially when e-mailing 3rd parties.

I will say the same if I later hear that Rice or Powell did the same when they were in that position.
Bingo. You're not talking about some GS-7 Secretary/Admin Assistant. You're taking the Sec of f'ing State receiving and sending info, at least some of it undoubtedly highly classified info, using a not very secure personal e-mail account, EXCLUSIVELY for 4 years as Sec State. Heck, Petraus just pled guilty to "unauthorized removal and retention of classified material." In addition The Federal Records Act requiremes that officials’ correspondence be retained as part of the agency’s record. Any other govt employee did this they would be hosed. But since it's Hillary she'll just plead ignorance, blame it on the vast right wing conspiracy, and get away with it..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

AZGrizFan wrote:I'm gonna go out on a sturdy limb and suggest that she's not the first government official to do this.
Colin Powell did the same when he was Sec of State
:thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

tribe_pride wrote:Not being political in this response but I am shocked that the White House (or any real employer for that matter) would allow work e-mails to be sent by personal e-mails except in exceptional circumstances. Forget the government transparency reasons. Securitywise, her job made her deal with very secure information that the government servers were more equipped to handle than a third party. In addition, being able to track e-mails can be important for an employer and using personal e-mails prevents this especially when e-mailing 3rd parties.

Which they did
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

BDKJMU wrote:

Bingo. You're not talking about some GS-7 Secretary/Admin Assistant. You're taking the Sec of f'ing State receiving and sending info, at least some of it undoubtedly highly classified info, using a not very secure personal e-mail account, EXCLUSIVELY for 4 years as Sec State. Heck, Petraus just pled guilty to "unauthorized removal and retention of classified material." In addition The Federal Records Act requiremes that officials’ correspondence be retained as part of the agency’s record. Any other govt employee did this they would be hosed. But since it's Hillary she'll just plead ignorance, blame it on the vast right wing conspiracy, and get away with it..
So are you upset that Powell did the same thing?

And why are you so upset about her violating a law that was passed AFTER she left office?
Rob Iola
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Lurking

Post by Rob Iola »

GannonFan wrote:
Warren.
Proletarians of the world, unite!
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Rob Iola wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Warren.
Not electable at this point. She's a populist right now, but without any substance.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

dbackjon wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:

And why are you so upset about her violating a law that was passed AFTER she left office?
Technically speaking, the Presidential Records Act was passed in 1978, and at that time, included language such as "documentary materials … created by the President or his immediate staff.” In turn, the term documentary materials includes all books, correspondence, memorandums, documents, papers, pamphlets, works of art, models, pictures, photographs, plats, maps, films, and motion pictures, including, but not
limited to, audio, audiovisual, or other electronic or mechanical recordations."

The ammendments you are referring to, which ammended the PRA and were passed in 2014, did not substantially alter the general idea that electronic correspondence needed to be archived or archivable, just clarified where it was to be kept.

I really don't care greatly as I think this is a pretty trivial thing unless she was using something really weak in terms of security, but it would appear to be a violation of the PRA, technically speaking.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

dbackjon wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:

Fail.
Hillary Clinton's Personal Email Use Differed from Other Top Officials
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/electio ... ls-n316611" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

BDKJMU wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

Fail.
Hillary Clinton's Personal Email Use Differed from Other Top Officials
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/electio ... ls-n316611" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From your article:

As Clinton aides have noted, Colin Powell did regularly use a personal e-mail account while Secretary of State.

A Powell aide confirmed that information, saying, "General Powell used a personal email account during his tenure as Secretary of State. He was not aware of any restrictions nor does he recall being made aware of any over the four years he served at State."

You failed, again.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

GannonFan wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

Technically speaking, the Presidential Records Act was passed in 1978, and at that time, included language such as "documentary materials … created by the President or his immediate staff.” In turn, the term documentary materials includes all books, correspondence, memorandums, documents, papers, pamphlets, works of art, models, pictures, photographs, plats, maps, films, and motion pictures, including, but not
limited to, audio, audiovisual, or other electronic or mechanical recordations."

The ammendments you are referring to, which ammended the PRA and were passed in 2014, did not substantially alter the general idea that electronic correspondence needed to be archived or archivable, just clarified where it was to be kept.

I really don't care greatly as I think this is a pretty trivial thing unless she was using something really weak in terms of security, but it would appear to be a violation of the PRA, technically speaking.
That is not what happened. Prior to 2014, there was no law against using personal email. Only that it be archived. Which it was.

There is no scandal. There is no impropriety. Just the typical right-wing media FAKE scandals.

1. Clinton was not the first Secretary to use a private email account. In fact, John Kerry is the first Secretary to use “a standard government email address,” according to The Washington Post.

2. Clinton turned over her emails to the State Department. It’s not clear whether her predecessors did the same.

3. The Times article says the “existence of Mrs. Clinton’s personal email account was discovered by a House committee investigating the attack on the American Consulate in Benghazi.” This is incorrect. Gawker reported this first, in March 2013.

4. At the time Clinton was Secretary, the Federal Records Act didn’t require federal employees to use government accounts, only to preserve records of their communications. This, Clinton seems to have done.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... -fast.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;