Things that be all racist n' sheit

Political discussions
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: Things that be all racist n' sheit

Post by UNI88 »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:41 am Not surprised but Kate Clarke left out in the dark

Didn’t make Olympic team
Who's Kate Clarke?

Sabrina Ionescu, Kelsey Plum, and Breanna Stewart will probably make it.

Are you trying to manufacture reasons to be butt hurt?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm

MAQA - putting the Q into qrazy qanon qonspiracy theories since 2015.
Caribbean Hen
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: DELAWARE

Post by Caribbean Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:16 am
Caribbean Hen wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:41 am Not surprised but Kate Clarke left out in the dark

Didn’t make Olympic team
Who's Kate Clarke?

The real question is who are those players you mentioned?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 1:08 pm
UNI88 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:16 am
Who's Kate Clarke?

If you don't know who they are then you probably don't know enough to comment on Caitlin Clark not making the team.

Caribbean Hen
Level3
Level3

Post by Caribbean Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:09 pm
Caribbean Hen wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 1:08 pm

If you don't know who they are then you probably don't know enough to comment on Caitlin Clark not making the team.
Everyone knows who Caitlin Clark is now and I know a shooter when I see one, should she be on the Olympic team? I don’t know how good she has been at the WNBA level

She’s the only female basketball player I can name minus Greiner though… ok add Del Donne

That’s because the media went crazy with Clark and the WNBA is not something I watch at all
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:02 am
UNI88 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:09 pm
Everyone knows who Caitlin Clark is now and I know a shooter when I see one, should she be on the Olympic team? I don’t know how good she has been at the WNBA level

She’s the only female basketball player I can name minus Greiner though… ok add Del Donne

That’s because the media went crazy with Clark and the WNBA is not something I watch at all
You dropped this nugget in the Things that be all racist n' sheit thread.

Didn’t make Olympic team
So the inference seemed to be that she was left off the team for racist reasons (she's white).

Sabrina Ionescu (NY Liberty, Oregon), Kelsey Plum (LV Aces, Washington), and Breanna Stewart (NY Liberty, UConn) are also white so that inference doesn't hold water.

Should Caitlin Clark have made it? Debateable. I'm not sure she's better at this point than any of the women who did. Her greatest asset right now is popularity. She'd bring more eyeballs to watch the games. Good for NBC but probably not the right way to put together a team.

Caribbean Hen
Level3
Level3

Post by Caribbean Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:32 am
Caribbean Hen wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:02 am

You dropped this nugget in the Things that be all racist n' sheit thread.

Didn’t make Olympic team
So the inference seemed to be that she was left off the team for racist reasons (she's white).

Sabrina Ionescu (NY Liberty, Oregon), Kelsey Plum (LV Aces, Washington), and Breanna Stewart (NY Liberty, UConn) are also white so that inference doesn't hold water.

Should Caitlin Clark have made it? Debateable. I'm not sure she's better at this point than any of the women who did. Her greatest asset right now is popularity. She'd bring more eyeballs to watch the games. Good for NBC but probably not the right way to put together a team.
It could have been racially motivated

I really don’t know
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Caribbean Hen wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:32 am You dropped this nugget in the Things that be all racist n' sheit thread.

It could have been racially motivated

I really don’t know
So ask a question rather than insinuating something you don’t know.

The more relevant question is why didn’t Arike Ogunbowale make the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

J. D. Vance Has a Point About Mountain Dew
The soft drink has long been associated with the joy and despair of white America.
What the heck is Vance on about, with his supposedly racist Diet Mountain Dew? But don’t underestimate the power of the Dew. By invoking this bright-yellow, hyper-caffeinated soda, Vance invoked a whole history of symbolism for white, rural America.
Way to prove jd right Atlantic.

This is racist just like associating fried chicken and bbq with black America.

Bobcat
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by Bobcat »

Neither of those are racist
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 1:38 pm J. D. Vance Has a Point About Mountain Dew
The soft drink has long been associated with the joy and despair of white America.
What the heck is Vance on about, with his supposedly racist Diet Mountain Dew? But don’t underestimate the power of the Dew. By invoking this bright-yellow, hyper-caffeinated soda, Vance invoked a whole history of symbolism for white, rural America.
Way to prove jd right Atlantic.

This is racist just like associating fried chicken and bbq with black America.
I get the fried chicken, but not BBQ.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

I thought about putting this in the Culture Wars thread because of the CRT mention ...

Chicago teachers' union claim that Black kids cannot pass standardized tests doesn't go over well with mom
Stacy Davis Gates, president of the Chicago Teachers Union and executive vice president of the Illinois Federation of Teachers, was asked by a Black radio station last week about public school students' declining reading and math scores. Specifically, criticism that Gates was advocating to boost teachers' contracts with money that would be better served addressing student achievement.

She responded that gauging student achievement through testing was the problem.

"The way in which, you know, we think about learning and think about achievement is really and truly based on testing, which at best is junk science rooted in White supremacy," she said. "Now, if you have another hour, I can get into why standardized tests are born out of the eugenics movement. And the eugenics movement is always thought to see Black people as inferior to those that are non-Black."
However, a Black mom in Chicago called the radio station to firmly disagree with Gates that Black children can't pass the tests.
"Let me say this to you," she continued. "I passed every standardized test, and I want my children to be able to do it even though I'm Black. That does not mean I cannot achieve on standardized tests. And our children need to be able to do so that they can be competitive. Our focus needs to be on the literacy gap that Black children have, this not being addressed."
During the interview, Gates also stressed the importance of teaching critical race theory (CRT).

"This is why being able to teach CRT is important, because it helps us to examine how we come to our conclusions," she said. "CRT is an important function and should be in our education system, which is why the Republicans… are aiming directly for those types of things."

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 8:45 pm I thought about putting this in the Culture Wars thread because of the CRT mention ...

Chicago teachers' union claim that Black kids cannot pass standardized tests doesn't go over well with mom
Stacy Davis Gates, president of the Chicago Teachers Union and executive vice president of the Illinois Federation of Teachers, was asked by a Black radio station last week about public school students' declining reading and math scores. Specifically, criticism that Gates was advocating to boost teachers' contracts with money that would be better served addressing student achievement.

"The way in which, you know, we think about learning and think about achievement is really and truly based on testing, which at best is junk science rooted in White supremacy," she said. "Now, if you have another hour, I can get into why standardized tests are born out of the eugenics movement. And the eugenics movement is always thought to see Black people as inferior to those that are non-Black."
However, a Black mom in Chicago called the radio station to firmly disagree with Gates that Black children can't pass the tests.
"Let me say this to you," she continued. "I passed every standardized test, and I want my children to be able to do it even though I'm Black. That does not mean I cannot achieve on standardized tests. And our children need to be able to do so that they can be competitive. Our focus needs to be on the literacy gap that Black children have, this not being addressed."
During the interview, Gates also stressed the importance of teaching critical race theory (CRT).

"This is why being able to teach CRT is important, because it helps us to examine how we come to our conclusions," she said. "CRT is an important function and should be in our education system, which is why the Republicans… are aiming directly for those types of things."
Well this is right up your alley ‘88.

I love the mom’s response in that it recognizes the hardships but still the need to be that much more of a warrior to overcome the race specific challenges. That chippyness can be a motivating tool.

As long as CRT is accurate, it has a place as well. Not as an excuse but as an explanation, a part of the story, that identifies the why. That too can be motivational opportunity as long as it recognizes that while you may have to work harder, there is pride in the work that will make you cut from stronger cloth.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 5:43 am
UNI88 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 8:45 pm I thought about putting this in the Culture Wars thread because of the CRT mention ...

I love the mom’s response in that it recognizes the hardships but still the need to be that much more of a warrior to overcome the race specific challenges. That chippyness can be a motivating tool.

As long as CRT is accurate, it has a place as well. Not as an excuse but as an explanation, a part of the story, that identifies the why. That too can be motivational opportunity as long as it recognizes that while you may have to work harder, there is pride in the work that will make you cut from stronger cloth.
CRT = Critical Race THEORY, emphasis on the THEORY. Yet people want to teach it as fact to students who most likely aren't ready to be able to tell the difference. IMO, they want to use it to give students and teachers an excuse for poor performance. The only place CRT has in our public schools is an honors or AP history class where it's taught as theory.

As far as testing being "junk science rooted in White supremacy" and standardized tests being "born out of the eugenics movement"? Those are loaded statements - give me proof, examples, something. Otherwise it sounds like political hyperbole. Otherwise those statements seem racist themselves. Isn't trying to set a lower bar for black kids setting them up to not be able to succeed as adults? Isn't that racist?

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

You could make the argument that standardized tests, years ago, where racially biased. That was back when they had passages about sailing and swimming and country club memberships, etc, that skewed towards things Whites would have more experience with. However, the vast majority of standardized tests, including the bigger national ones with bigger implications, have long been scrubbed of such issues. Basically, the tests aren't racist. If there's a racial gap now in terms of achievement, and there certainly is, then it's really pointing out the reality of the gap in education and retainment of that education that exists. The caller was correct, trying to run away from this problem and blaming the test for shedding light on it isn't the answer, the answer lies in fixing the educational and societal reasons why that gap exists.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 8:05 am
kalm wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 5:43 am

CRT = Critical Race THEORY, emphasis on the THEORY. Yet people want to teach it as fact to students who most likely aren't ready to be able to tell the difference. IMO, they want to use it to give students and teachers an excuse for poor performance. The only place CRT has in our public schools is an honors or AP history class where it's taught as theory.

As far as testing being "junk science rooted in White supremacy" and standardized tests being "born out of the eugenics movement"? Those are loaded statements - give me proof, examples, something. Otherwise it sounds like political hyperbole. Otherwise those statements seem racist themselves. Isn't trying to set a lower bar for black kids setting them up to not be able to succeed as adults? Isn't that racist?
To your 2nd paragraph…you do realize I was agreeing with you and the pushback from the mom, right?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 8:06 am

You could make the argument that standardized tests, years ago, where racially biased. That was back when they had passages about sailing and swimming and country club memberships, etc, that skewed towards things Whites would have more experience with. However, the vast majority of standardized tests, including the bigger national ones with bigger implications, have long been scrubbed of such issues. Basically, the tests aren't racist. If there's a racial gap now in terms of achievement, and there certainly is, then it's really pointing out the reality of the gap in education and retainment of that education that exists. The caller was correct, trying to run away from this problem and blaming the test for shedding light on it isn't the answer, the answer lies in fixing the educational and societal reasons why that gap exists.
:nod:

I would argue that the gap is less racial and more economic. Poor people, regardless of color, tend to attend worse schools, have less access to resources and parents who aren't as involved.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 10:07 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 8:06 am

I would argue that the gap is less racial and more economic. Poor people, regardless of color, tend to attend worse schools, have less access to resources and parents who aren't as involved.
100%.

Lack of male role models, access to recreational facilities and equipment, food deserts, latch key existence transcend race.

Heck even within the Cheney SD the differences are palpable. From some of the best schools in the state to places like Airway Heights which is bookended by Fairchild AFB and a tribal casino on one end and a prison and 2nd casino on the other. I had a teacher friend who started in Airway where 3 parents out of 27 kids in her classroom showed up for parent teacher conferences and she had to deal with an ongoing lice infestation.

Clearly harder to overcome than the idyllic middle class childhood I grew up in. Yet some still do which is truly inspiring.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 10:51 am
UNI88 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 10:07 am

100%.

Lack of male role models, access to recreational facilities and equipment, food deserts, latch key existence transcend race.

Heck even within the Cheney SD the differences are palpable. From some of the best schools in the state to places like Airway Heights which is bookended by Fairchild AFB and a tribal casino on one end and a prison and 2nd casino on the other. I had a teacher friend who started in Airway where 3 parents out of 27 kids in her classroom showed up for parent teacher conferences and she had to deal with an ongoing lice infestation.

Clearly harder to overcome than the idyllic middle class childhood I grew up in. Yet some still do which is truly inspiring.
From my experience, most who overcome their circumstances have parents who support and push them. The ones who overcome it without parental involvement/support typically do so because of teachers who build their confidence and inspire them.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 11:08 am

100%.

From my experience, most who overcome their circumstances have parents who support and push them. The ones who overcome it without parental involvement/support typically do so because of teachers who build their confidence and inspire them.
Yup.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 11:08 am

100%.

It's been said on other threads, but when people look at who succeeds academically (i.e. who routinely makes it through college successfully), the two biggest common denominators are 1) kids who have two parents at home and 2) kids who live in communities where the large majority are employed. Standardized tests don't make either of those things happen or not happen.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Megyn Kelly triggered.

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

If marge is calling a MAQA yahoo racist.