Political discussions
hank scorpio
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: UM

A Welfare Check and a Voting Card

Post by hank scorpio »

A Welfare Check and a Voting Card

After years of deliberate neglect, the Justice Department is finally beginning to enforce the federal law requiring states to provide voter registration at welfare and food stamp offices. The effort not only promises to bring hundreds of thousands of hard-to-reach voters into the electorate, but it could also reduce the impact of advocacy organizations whose role in registering voters caused such a furor in 2008.

The National Voter Registration Act of 1993, better known as the motor-voter law, is well-known for making it possible to register to vote at state motor vehicle offices. However, the law also required states to allow registration at offices that administer food stamps, welfare, Medicaid, disability assistance and child health programs. States were enthusiastic about the motor-vehicle section of the law, and millions of new voters got on the rolls while getting a driver’s license. But registration at public assistance offices proved far less popular.

In part, that was because of additional paperwork at those offices, but in many states, Republican officials did not want to provide easy entry to the voting rolls for low-income people whom they considered more likely to vote Democratic. The Bush administration devoted its attention to seeking out tiny examples of voter fraud and purging people from the rolls in swing states. It did little to enforce the motor-voter law despite years of complaints from civic groups and Democratic lawmakers.

In April, however, President Obama’s Justice Department sent the states a set of guidelines making it clear that it expected full compliance with the public-assistance office section of the law — the first time in the 15-year history of the motor-voter law that the Justice Department has explained what kinds of offices are covered and what procedures are to be used. The guidelines make it clear that people applying for benefits must not only be offered the chance to register but must be given help in filling out the forms if they ask. If states do not comply voluntarily, lawsuits are likely to follow.

The administration will undoubtedly be accused of acting in a self-serving political way by making it easier for more Democrats to vote. The effort may have that effect. But it is worth remembering that the recession has brought millions of new people to food stamp and other welfare offices in the last two years, many of whom may not be traditional Democrats. In addition, government offices are much more likely to provide reliable registrations than Acorn or other advocacy groups that were widely accused of fraudulent sign-ups in the last cycle. Welfare offices generally have extensive methods of verifying identities in order to provide benefits, and it is illegal to provide false records there.

But the best reason to applaud the Justice Department’s new posture is that it will bring more voters into public life. When advocacy groups sued Ohio and Missouri to force their public assistance offices into complying, huge groups of new voters surged onto the rolls — more than 100,000 in Ohio, and more than 200,000 in Missouri. Nationwide enforcement by the Justice Department could add millions more. The more people who have access to the ballot, the better the country will be.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/10/opini ... ef=opinion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What say ye?
UCABEAR
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Central Arkansas
A.K.A.: UCABEAR

Re: A Welfare Check and a Voting Card

Post by UCABEAR »

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

This country doesn't need more uneducated voters living off the government. :roll: :roll: :roll:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
TheDancinMonarch
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Old Dominion

Post by TheDancinMonarch »

We need more voters who decide who to vote for based on what benefits they will receive or even worse how a candidate smiles or parts his hair. Let the disinterested and ignorant stay home on election day.
Appaholic
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana, WCU & FCS
A.K.A.: Rehab-aholic

Post by Appaholic »

AZGrizFan wrote:This country doesn't need more uneducated voters living off the government. :roll: :roll: :roll:
TheDancinMonarch wrote:We need more voters who decide who to vote for based on what benefits they will receive or even worse how a candidate smiles or parts his hair. Let the disinterested and ignorant stay home on election day.
Amen to both.....ought to require a civics test before handing out voter cards.... :coffee:
http://www.takeahikewnc.com

“It’s like someone found a manic, doom-prophesying hobo in a sandwich board, shaved him, shot him full of Zoloft and gave him a show.” - The Buffalo Beast commenting on Glenn Beck

Consume. Watch TV. Be Silent. Work. Die.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

I'm always shocked by how many people both don't know how to register to vote and how to actually go and cast a vote. We've made both processes so incredibly easy that if you aren't already able to do both then you have to wonder what can you do.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Post by ASUG8 »

Seems to me you should just go ahead and swear in BHO as emperor. If I'm on the welfare rolls, I'm not going to foul my own nest by voting the Donks out of power since they won't hold me accountable for trying to find work.
From the class of 09
I am a fan of: Liberty

Post by From the class of 09 »

If you don't pay a net income tax you shouldn't be able to vote.
LeadBolt
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by LeadBolt »

Do they need to prove citizenship?
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

From the class of 09 wrote:If you don't pay a net income tax you shouldn't be able to vote.
Fuck it, let's just go back to only letting white male property owners vote. :jack:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Grizalltheway wrote:
From the class of 09 wrote:If you don't pay a net income tax you shouldn't be able to vote.
Fuck it, let's just go back to only letting white male property owners vote. :jack:
sounds good to me. Although there are a LOT fewer of them in recent months, given the foreclosure rate recently... :coffee:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
hank scorpio
Level2
Level2

Post by hank scorpio »

LeadBolt wrote:Do they need to prove citizenship?
In theory, yes. It really depends on what a state would accept as an ID, and how easily said document can be forged.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

hank scorpio wrote:
LeadBolt wrote:Do they need to prove citizenship?
In theory, yes. It really depends on what a state would accept as an ID, and how easily said document can be forged.
regardless of the document, the answer to that question is "very easily". :coffee: :ohno:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

If I was the state AG I's say to the fed we'll comply in full- as soon as you send us the check to pay for it.

Another case of the fed trying to force on the states an unfunded fed mandate.... :ohno:
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:
sounds good to me. Although there are a LOT fewer of them in recent months, given the foreclosure rate recently... :coffee:

So, does your mortgage lender get your vote?
:thumb:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

dbackjon wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

:? :? :?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

AZGrizFan wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

:? :? :?
Oh, I get it now. :lol: :lol: :lol:

True....being 20% underwater probably nullifies my vote. :coffee: :coffee:

Thanks, Obama. :ohno: :ohno:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

AZGrizFan wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote: :? :? :?
Oh, I get it now. :lol: :lol: :lol:

True....being 20% underwater probably nullifies my vote. :coffee: :coffee:

Thanks, Obama. :ohno: :ohno:
Took you long enough...
:thumb:
citdog
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: THE Citadel
A.K.A.: Pres.Jefferson Davis

Post by citdog »

Grizalltheway wrote:
Fuck it, let's just go back to only letting white male property owners vote.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
"Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language"
"Save in defense of my native State I hope to never again draw my sword"
Genl Robert E. Lee
Confederate States of America
Wedgebuster
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNC BEARS
A.K.A.: OB55

Post by Wedgebuster »

Grizalltheway wrote:
But could they still vote for ignorant bitches with big tits?
mrklean
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern Uni.

Post by mrklean »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:
**** it, let's just go back to only letting white male property owners vote. :jack:
Too bad that will NEVER HAPPEN IN THIS COUNTRY. :thumb:
ImageImage
FROM DA DURTY SOUTH!
mrklean
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern Uni.

Post by mrklean »

citdog wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:
**** it, let's just go back to only letting white male property owners vote.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Hey they did not include Jewish Men as White.............. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
ImageImage
FROM DA DURTY SOUTH!
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Wedgebuster wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:
But could they still vote for ignorant bitches with big tits?
as opposed to an ignorant bastard with a penis? :tothehand:
Bronco
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Griz

Post by Bronco »

Here's a Frenchman who had it figured out 100 years ago

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back. Al Swearengen
http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/tv/childr ... bronco.wav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hank scorpio
Level2
Level2

Post by hank scorpio »

AZGrizFan wrote:
hank scorpio wrote:
regardless of the document, the answer to that question is "very easily". :coffee: :ohno:
I agree and disagree at the same time.