SHOULD COLLEGE FB PLAYERS GET PAID (STIPEND)/PROFIT SHARE?

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

SHOULD COLLEGE FB PLAYERS GET PAID (STIPEND)/PROFIT SHARE?

Post by BlackFalkin »

Here's the thing guys, and I really struggled with this when I was at Eastern. When I say struggled, I mean I thought it was really unfair. You look around the country at D1 college fb and, if you are paying attention, you continue to see players doing unnecessary things for money. Breaking in houses, stealing laptops, making beanies. selling things on ebay & craigslist etc.. Point is, if you play for Auburn and you have been a key factor in winning big games or a key factor in higher attendance/monies may by the institution. Doesn't said player or full team regardless of input deserve a few extra bucks? Were not talking about getting rich. Maybe an extra 200 bucks/quarter for example.
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: SHOULD COLLEGE FB PLAYERS GET PAID (STIPEND)/PROFIT SHAR

Post by 89Hen »

They already do. Scholarships + getting into schools that they would NEVER get into without athletics + a launching pad to professional sports = PAID.
49RFootballNow
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Charlotte

Post by 49RFootballNow »

89Hen wrote:They already do. Scholarships + getting into schools that they would NEVER get into without athletics + a launching pad to professional sports = PAID.
No, they shouldn't be paid; but if they were to be paid it should be minimum wage and equivalent to the hours that they "work" at practice, team meetings, and game day.

Yet on the flip side of that coin college coaches' salaries should also be capped nationally. If they want to make super big bucks then they should work in the free market known as the NFL.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

89Hen wrote:They already do. Scholarships + getting into schools that they would NEVER get into without athletics + a launching pad to professional sports = PAID.
This.

And BF don’t use not being paid as an excuse for player’s committing criminal activity. They get room, board and education for their talents. If players need a laptop, tv, etc…I am sure they don’t have to look to far to find available places on campus that offer these items for use. :twocents:
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

This times a billion.

Plus the connections many of the players will leave with to get jobs outside of sports.
TwinTownBisonFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by TwinTownBisonFan »

thing is - they get the necessities tuition, room, board, books - access to incredible technology in tech labs, access to the best athletic training facilities in the country - as well as strength coaches, doctors, nutritionists, etc...

they want to wear thousands of dollars of clothes, buy tons of personal electronics, smoke and drink the best shit... that's their problem. considering the 50-80k/year already invested in these kids - whom, let's be clear, the university is taking a risk on too... if the kid is on scholarship and can't hack it... that's money out the door that won't be recouped.

this shit from athletes of "we're always broke"... well no shit sherlock - YOU ARE A COLLEGE STUDENT... YOU'RE ALL BROKE... welcome to "living like the rest of us 101"
North Dakota State University Bison 2011 and 2012 National Champions

bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Post by bluehenbillk »

I don't think players should be paid but I think they should be able to retain agents and do endorsement deals. Why not? Look at some of the $$ that these players generate in advertising/merchandise revenue for schools? If they're good enough to do that - give them a piece.
Make Delaware Football Great Again
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Give a man a fish and he can eat for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he can eat for a lifetime.

So "schools" are getting rich from athletics? Seems to me that they put that money right back into athletics. These athletes can try playing at a D-III school and see the difference it makes. They are on a 4-5 year "vacation" at a luxury sports resort. Any money that passes from athletics to academics, helps improve the reputation of the diploma they have the FREE opportunity of obtaining. No Pay for Play.

High School is designed for everyone. College is not. :twocents:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

bluehenbillk wrote:I don't think players should be paid but I think they should be able to retain agents and do endorsement deals. Why not? Look at some of the $$ that these players generate in advertising/merchandise revenue for schools? If they're good enough to do that - give them a piece.
I don't think schools can sell merch of current players, can they?
TwinTownBisonFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by TwinTownBisonFan »

89Hen wrote:
bluehenbillk wrote:I don't think players should be paid but I think they should be able to retain agents and do endorsement deals. Why not? Look at some of the $$ that these players generate in advertising/merchandise revenue for schools? If they're good enough to do that - give them a piece.
I don't think schools can sell merch of current players, can they?
it's a fine line...
they sell jerseys with numbers on them... but no names... :roll:
they sell "team posters" and "action posters" but it's clearly one player...

but i disagree about agents... no they shouldn't. that "piece" is paying for all the things I listed above
North Dakota State University Bison 2011 and 2012 National Champions

BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3

Post by BlackFalkin »

Hey, cut the crap about SCHOLARSHIPS, bc when i got my statement from EWU, two days later i would get another statement from the athletic department saying for example:

Tuition ........................................15,000/-15,000=0
Fees...............................................800/-800=0
Blah................................................250/-250=0
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Fb blah.............................................3,500+
=================================================
Amount Owed.......................................-3,500

So don't give me that crap about "The tuition money wont be recouped" bc NO MONEY CHANGES HANDS AS FAR AS TUITION, BOOKS, FEES, LAB FEES, etc. AND IF U LIVE IN THE DORMS (REQUIRED FOR FIRST YEAR) THEY TAKE MORE MONEY OUT FOR ROOM & BOARD, EAGLE CARD, PHONE, INTERNET etc. Players should at least get a stipend.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

$250 for blah and $3500 for Fb blah seems like a lot
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Athletes on full scholarship get plenty. I couldn't spend my food allowance each semester. Ended up with a closet full of food at the end of each semester so I didn't waste any. :lol:

They don't need anything else.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3

Post by BlackFalkin »

Skjellyfetti wrote:Athletes on full scholarship get plenty. I couldn't spend my food allowance each semester. Ended up with a closet full of food at the end of each semester so I didn't waste any. :lol:

They don't need anything else.

Wow 48$ worth of Gatorade & Snickers. While the coaches make millions.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

BlackFalkin wrote: Wow 48$ worth of Gatorade & Snickers. While the coaches make millions.
A lot more than that.

And, coaches are overpaid, especially the ones at the top making 4+ million a year. That is ridiculous. But, the fact that they're overpaid doesn't mean players should be paid. :?
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Post by ASUG8 »

Can't summarize it any better than this. :nod:

Players are commodities at the college level - you could try to shop your services elsewhere, but I doubt it will make much difference. If you're Tim Tebow I can understand having a bit of an ego about the situation since he was pretty instrumental in their wins - Bubba on the sideline on 3rd string who plays 12 minutes a year not so much, but they're both getting a pretty huge gift in exchange for playing a game they played for free all their lives up to the point they signed with their university.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
BlackFalkin wrote: Wow 48$ worth of Gatorade & Snickers. While the coaches make millions.
A lot more than that.

And, coaches are overpaid, especially the ones at the top making 4+ million a year. That is ridiculous. But, the fact that they're overpaid doesn't mean players should be paid. :?
I'm not sure I agree they are overpaid. They work pretty much year round, are on the hook for the performance of the team and have to juggle the incredibly dificult task of balancing NCAA rules and still getting players who are eligible without paying them. Coaches are not overpaid IMO.

But if they are, your second point is valid.
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ASUG8 »

Skjellyfetti wrote:

Agreed - but it's the employment market, you don't have to work there if the pay is unfair - very few people run around saying "I make too much money" and won't take a job paying more if the duties are reasonable to them. A lot of coaches are overpaid, but the same argument can be made for most professional players. You make what your abilities afford you and the market is willing to pay.
Chemhen
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Delaware

Post by Chemhen »

They should, but its not feasible. You'd have to pay athletes in other sports, like WBB or golf, which wouldn't be a big deal at OSU or Auburn, but would cause most schools to cut even more sports than they're already doing. And you can't make it optional for only some schools to pay athletes or only some guys to get paid (although you can make the case that that would just legitimize what's already going on). But I think there is something fundamentally wrong with supposedly not for profit schools making millions off the backs of mostly poor black kids while paying lip service to their education.
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3

Post by BlackFalkin »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
A lot more than that.

Ok so for example: you're basically Armanti Edwards of Sacramento State and you lead CSUS to 4 straight National Championships. Crushing Portland State, Cal Poly & UC Davis all 4 years. You win the Payton 4 times. You dont deserve a little something extra besides 48$ worth of fruit roll ups & Jello Snacks? GTFOH
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

BlackFalkin wrote:Ok so for example: you're basically Armanti Edwards of Sacramento State and you lead CSUS to 4 straight National Championships. Crushing Portland State, Cal Poly & UC Davis all 4 years. You win the Payton 4 times. You dont deserve a little something extra besides 48$ worth of fruit roll ups & Jello Snacks? GTFOH
Pretty sure that kid would be drafted and do just fine. :coffee:
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Pretty sure Armanti Edwards received a lot more than $48 in fruit roll ups and jello snacks while he was here.
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Skjellyfetti wrote:Pretty sure Armanti Edwards received a lot more than $48 in fruit roll ups and jello snacks while he was here.
He also got a $710,000 signing bonus and a $2.5M contract upon leaving AppSt.
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ASUG8 »

BlackFalkin wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:
A lot more than that.

Ok so for example: you're basically Armanti Edwards of Sacramento State and you lead CSUS to 4 straight National Championships. Crushing Portland State, Cal Poly & UC Davis all 4 years. You win the Payton 4 times. You dont deserve a little something extra besides 48$ worth of fruit roll ups & Jello Snacks? GTFOH
If I had a full ride to Harvard and graduated magna cum laude with an MBA I'd be very fortunate to start out at NFL league minimum. How many kids a year that otherwise wouldn't have that opportunity get it annually, including basketball, baseball, and football?
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

89Hen wrote: He also got a $710,000 signing bonus and a $2.5M contract upon leaving AppSt.
Damn. Appalachian is truly loaded if we could offer a 140-pound high school QB 5x the money Auburn signed Cam Newton for. :shock:
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)