How Long Will The Next Shutdown Last? (Feb 2019)

Political discussions

Call It

Shut down won't happen after this CR - another will be passed in time
11
61%
One week
1
6%
Two weeks
2
11%
Three weeks
0
No votes
Four weeks
0
No votes
Five weeks
0
No votes
Six weeks
2
11%
Until Trump resigns
2
11%
 
Total votes: 18

User avatar
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 51659
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:03 pm
Location: Slower Delaware

Re: RE: Re: How Long Will The Next Shutdown Last? (Feb 2019)

Postby 93henfan » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:59 am

SDHornet wrote:
93henfan wrote:
I was kind of hoping Trump had some balls. I could use another five weeks off. With back pay and tax return I was good until the DoD shutdown deadline on September 30. :D

Yeah but the shutdown avoidance means we don't have your insufferable whiney ass bitch routine on these boards during that time. :coffee:

:kisswink:


Also, the bill that will go to Trump's desk this week overrides his pay freeze and gives feds a well-deserved retroactive raise for 2019. With backpay, a step increase that was retroactive to Jan 20, my tax return, and now this unexpected raise (which is even higher for DC locality), it's a good life. :D

I will continue to bitch when it pays off like this! :thumb:

User avatar
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 11621
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:50 pm
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: RE: Re: How Long Will The Next Shutdown Last? (Feb 2019)

Postby SDHornet » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:04 am

93henfan wrote:
SDHornet wrote:Yeah but the shutdown avoidance means we don't have your insufferable whiney ass bitch routine on these boards during that time. :coffee:

:kisswink:


Also, the bill that will go to Trump's desk this week overrides his pay freeze and gives feds a well-deserved retroactive raise for 2019. With backpay, a step increase that was retroactive to Jan 20, my tax return, and now this unexpected raise (which is even higher for DC locality), it's a good life. :D

I will continue to bitch when it pays off like this! :thumb:

:lol:

You realize that this justifies all my ribbing aimed at you during the shutdown, right? :lol:

houndawg
Level5
Level5
Posts: 16392
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:14 pm
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg
Location: Egypt

Re: RE: Re: How Long Will The Next Shutdown Last? (Feb 2019)

Postby houndawg » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:13 am

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
You and your ilk are doing your damnest to make that an impossibility. :dunce:


Yep they want you disarmed so they can be "progressive" and stuff


First they grab you by the pussy then they take your gun...
Subvert the dominant paradigm

User avatar
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 51659
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:03 pm
Location: Slower Delaware

Re: RE: Re: How Long Will The Next Shutdown Last? (Feb 2019)

Postby 93henfan » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:13 am

SDHornet wrote:
93henfan wrote:
Also, the bill that will go to Trump's desk this week overrides his pay freeze and gives feds a well-deserved retroactive raise for 2019. With backpay, a step increase that was retroactive to Jan 20, my tax return, and now this unexpected raise (which is even higher for DC locality), it's a good life. :D

I will continue to bitch when it pays off like this! :thumb:

:lol:

You realize that this justifies all my ribbing aimed at you during the shutdown, right? :lol:


But wait, THERE'S MORE!
Companion legislation has been introduced in the House that would provide impacted federal workers not only back pay, but interest as well.

Like its counterpart bill in the Senate, The Back Pay Fairness Act (H.R. 1051) would provide federal workers back pay with interest matched to the Treasury Prompt Payment policy, the same interest rate federal agencies pay on late payments to vendors and contractors. The prompt payment interest rate for January 1, 2019 – June 30, 2019 is 3.625%. The legislation would apply not just to the recent shutdown but to future shutdowns as well.

https://www.fedsmith.com/2019/02/12/lawmakers-want-back-pay-plus-interest-shutdown/

IT'S BEAUTIFUL, MAN!!!
Image

houndawg
Level5
Level5
Posts: 16392
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:14 pm
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg
Location: Egypt

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: How Long Will The Next Shutdown Last? (Feb 2019)

Postby houndawg » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:16 am

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:
mainejeff wrote:
Stop being such a faggot. :roll:

:coffee:
Go **** yourself douchebag

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk



:ohno:

Surely we can communicate on a higher plane than this.......





:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Subvert the dominant paradigm

User avatar
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 50027
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:16 pm
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: How Long Will The Next Shutdown Last? (Feb 2019)

Postby Ibanez » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:31 am

BDKJMU wrote:
Ibanez wrote:But...it's still less than the deal that was on the table for Border Security in December.

Again WRONG.
Dec deal on the table had 1.6 billion increase for border security, zero for fencing/wall.
Deal now reportedly has over 3 billion increase for border security: 1.7 billion increase for border security other than fencing/wall, + 1.375 billion for fencing/wall.

Again, you aren't looking at the entire issue.

Dec deal had zero money for the wall. Trump pissed his panties and wanted $5B. He shut down the government, causing massive problems for ordinary Americans. He caved. Now he's signing a bill that is for substantially less than $5B.

He negotiated for less.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17

houndawg
Level5
Level5
Posts: 16392
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:14 pm
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg
Location: Egypt

Re: How Long Will The Next Shutdown Last? (Feb 2019)

Postby houndawg » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:57 am

Ibanez wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:Again WRONG.
Dec deal on the table had 1.6 billion increase for border security, zero for fencing/wall.
Deal now reportedly has over 3 billion increase for border security: 1.7 billion increase for border security other than fencing/wall, + 1.375 billion for fencing/wall.

Again, you aren't looking at the entire issue.

Dec deal had zero money for the wall. Trump pissed his panties and wanted $5B. He shut down the government, causing massive problems for ordinary Americans. He caved. Now he's signing a bill that is for substantially less than $5B.

He negotiated for less.


And if he pulls that **** again Nancy will make the third "offer" even lower. :lol:
Subvert the dominant paradigm

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 21897
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:22 pm
I am a fan of: Salisbury University
Location: Dela-Where?

Re: How Long Will The Next Shutdown Last? (Feb 2019)

Postby Ivytalk » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:57 am

houndawg wrote:
Ibanez wrote:Again, you aren't looking at the entire issue.

Dec deal had zero money for the wall. Trump pissed his panties and wanted $5B. He shut down the government, causing massive problems for ordinary Americans. He caved. Now he's signing a bill that is for substantially less than $5B.

He negotiated for less.


And if he pulls that **** again Nancy will make the third "offer" even lower. :lol:

Fifty cent. 8-)
Anything I post passes any rational test. — John StOnge 7/12/19

houndawg
Level5
Level5
Posts: 16392
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:14 pm
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg
Location: Egypt

Re: How Long Will The Next Shutdown Last? (Feb 2019)

Postby houndawg » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:00 am

SDHornet wrote:I like how everyone was crowing about "compromise" then when compromise hits everyone on both sides screams bloody murder. :lol:

I agree with Ibanez (and others) that conks should have got border funding done in the first 2 years, but conks never had 60 votes in the Senate so it probably never would have gotten passed anyways.

No doubt Trump caved in round 1, but he got the dems to cave on "no wall money" in round 2. The only thing significant that happened between rounds 1 and 2 was the SOTU. Interesting ain't it?

Also Trump got some wall funding without budging an inch on DACA, which is a loss (or at a minimum a missed opportunity) for donks to appease Team Brown. If conks were smart (they aren't) they would highlight this issue to the Brown vote next election cycle.

I don't think Trump will go the emergency route now that donks caved in round 2 on wall/fence/metal slats/barrier funding. I think he (should) uses wall/barrier/fence/metal slats funding as a sticking point during the CR negotiations.


He'll do as Nancy P sees fit. :nod:
Subvert the dominant paradigm

User avatar
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 50027
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:16 pm
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: How Long Will The Next Shutdown Last? (Feb 2019)

Postby Ibanez » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:37 am

Ivytalk wrote:
houndawg wrote:
And if he pulls that **** again Nancy will make the third "offer" even lower. :lol:

Fifty cent. 8-)

The man has been shot multiple times...I bet he ain't skeered of no cartel
Image


You guys correct me if i'm wrong, but he negotiated for less money. I'm not sure how anyone could reasonable spin it.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17

User avatar
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
Posts: 33282
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:01 pm
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
Location: Pizza Hell

Re: How Long Will The Next Shutdown Last? (Feb 2019)

Postby CAA Flagship » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:30 am

Ibanez wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:Fifty cent. 8-)

The man has been shot multiple times...I bet he ain't skeered of no cartel

Image

User avatar
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 49940
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:40 pm
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate
Location: Just to the right of center

Re: How Long Will The Next Shutdown Last? (Feb 2019)

Postby AZGrizFan » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:38 am

Ibanez wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:Again WRONG.
Dec deal on the table had 1.6 billion increase for border security, zero for fencing/wall.
Deal now reportedly has over 3 billion increase for border security: 1.7 billion increase for border security other than fencing/wall, + 1.375 billion for fencing/wall.

Again, you aren't looking at the entire issue.

Dec deal had zero money for the wall. Trump pissed his panties and wanted $5B. He shut down the government, causing massive problems for ordinary Americans. He caved. Now he's signing a bill that is for substantially less than $5B.

He negotiated for less.


Would you rather he held out for the $5B and we were still shutdown?
"Ah ****. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Image

User avatar
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 50027
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:16 pm
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: How Long Will The Next Shutdown Last? (Feb 2019)

Postby Ibanez » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:07 am

AZGrizFan wrote:
Ibanez wrote:Again, you aren't looking at the entire issue.

Dec deal had zero money for the wall. Trump pissed his panties and wanted $5B. He shut down the government, causing massive problems for ordinary Americans. He caved. Now he's signing a bill that is for substantially less than $5B.

He negotiated for less.


Would you rather he held out for the $5B and we were still shutdown?

I'd rather he not shutdown the government in the first place over $5B. Also, I'd rather he not hold hostage over 1M people on a campaign promise that he can't fulfill. Mexico isn't paying for it. We are.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17

User avatar
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 49940
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:40 pm
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate
Location: Just to the right of center

Re: How Long Will The Next Shutdown Last? (Feb 2019)

Postby AZGrizFan » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:13 am

Ibanez wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Would you rather he held out for the $5B and we were still shutdown?

I'd rather he not shutdown the government in the first place over $5B. Also, I'd rather he not hold hostage over 1M people on a campaign promise that he can't fulfill. Mexico isn't paying for it. We are.


I honestly don't give a **** who pays for it. Just BUILD it. Let El Chappo pay for it. He's a Mexican, ain't he? 8-) 8-)
"Ah ****. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Image

User avatar
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 50027
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:16 pm
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: How Long Will The Next Shutdown Last? (Feb 2019)

Postby Ibanez » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:17 am

AZGrizFan wrote:
Ibanez wrote:I'd rather he not shutdown the government in the first place over $5B. Also, I'd rather he not hold hostage over 1M people on a campaign promise that he can't fulfill. Mexico isn't paying for it. We are.


I honestly don't give a **** who pays for it. Just BUILD it. Let El Chappo pay for it. He's a Mexican, ain't he? 8-) 8-)

I look forward to the crime statistics post construction. :thumb:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17

User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 14938
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: How Long Will The Next Shutdown Last? (Feb 2019)

Postby BDKJMU » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:44 pm

SDHornet wrote:I like how everyone was crowing about "compromise" then when compromise hits everyone on both sides screams bloody murder. :lol:

I agree with Ibanez (and others) that conks should have got border funding done in the first 2 years, but conks never had 60 votes in the Senate so it probably never would have gotten passed anyways.

No doubt Trump caved in round 1, but he got the dems to cave on "no wall money" in round 2. The only thing significant that happened between rounds 1 and 2 was the SOTU. Interesting ain't it?

Also Trump got some wall funding without budging an inch on DACA, which is a loss (or at a minimum a missed opportunity) for donks to appease Team Brown. If conks were smart (they aren't) they would highlight this issue to the Brown vote next election cycle.

I don't think Trump will go the emergency route now that donks caved in round 2 on wall/fence/metal slats/barrier funding. I think he (should) uses wall/barrier/fence/metal slats funding as a sticking point during the CR negotiations.

Yeah, I was thinking Trump was gonna get 2.5-3 billion for the barrier, but was gonna have to cave on DACA and TPS.

I don't get how FY 2020 is going to go. The FY starts 10/1. As I understand it, normally it would be either:
1. A FY budget deal(s) are made by 9/30.
2. Or CR/kick the can down the road is passed by 9/30 (most common scenario) (in which case everything would be the same as FY 2019, including another 1.375 billion for the barrier).
3. Or a partial shutdown.

But for FY 2020 we have the return of these automatic sequestration cuts if a deal isn't made. So does that mean either:
1. A budget deal is made/sequestration caps lifted.
2. Or sequestration automatically kicks in & sets the budget with across the board cuts (which I think would be good).
With no chance at a CR or a shutdown?

Anyone know how this process is going to work?

User avatar
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 50027
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:16 pm
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: How Long Will The Next Shutdown Last? (Feb 2019)

Postby Ibanez » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:02 pm

BDKJMU wrote:
SDHornet wrote:I like how everyone was crowing about "compromise" then when compromise hits everyone on both sides screams bloody murder. :lol:

I agree with Ibanez (and others) that conks should have got border funding done in the first 2 years, but conks never had 60 votes in the Senate so it probably never would have gotten passed anyways.

No doubt Trump caved in round 1, but he got the dems to cave on "no wall money" in round 2. The only thing significant that happened between rounds 1 and 2 was the SOTU. Interesting ain't it?

Also Trump got some wall funding without budging an inch on DACA, which is a loss (or at a minimum a missed opportunity) for donks to appease Team Brown. If conks were smart (they aren't) they would highlight this issue to the Brown vote next election cycle.

I don't think Trump will go the emergency route now that donks caved in round 2 on wall/fence/metal slats/barrier funding. I think he (should) uses wall/barrier/fence/metal slats funding as a sticking point during the CR negotiations.

Yeah, I was thinking Trump was gonna get 2.5-3 billion for the barrier, but was gonna have to cave on DACA and TPS.

I don't get how FY 2020 is going to go. The FY starts 10/1. As I understand it, normally it would be either:
1. A FY budget deal(s) are made by 9/30.
2. Or CR/kick the can down the road is passed by 9/30 (most common scenario) (in which case everything would be the same as FY 2019, including another 1.375 billion for the barrier).
3. Or a partial shutdown.

But for FY 2020 we have the return of these automatic sequestration cuts if a deal isn't made. So does that mean either:
1. A budget deal is made/sequestration caps lifted.
2. Or sequestration automatically kicks in & sets the budget with across the board cuts (which I think would be good).
With no chance at a CR or a shutdown?

Anyone know how this process is going to work?

Sequestration had more to do with the Budget Control Act. Congress failed to produce any legislation which would decrease the deficit. That failure triggered the sequestration.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17

∞∞∞
Level4
Level4
Posts: 9785
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:30 am

Re: How Long Will The Next Shutdown Last? (Feb 2019)

Postby ∞∞∞ » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:18 pm

Trump's declaring a national emergency. Good luck in the courts...

User avatar
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 50027
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:16 pm
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: How Long Will The Next Shutdown Last? (Feb 2019)

Postby Ibanez » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:28 pm

∞∞∞ wrote:Trump's declaring a national emergency. Good luck in the courts...

:ohno:
There were some good articles yesterday about the number of Republicans that don't want the emergency and the awful position it'll put them all in.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17

∞∞∞
Level4
Level4
Posts: 9785
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:30 am

Re: How Long Will The Next Shutdown Last? (Feb 2019)

Postby ∞∞∞ » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:43 pm

Ibanez wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote:Trump's declaring a national emergency. Good luck in the courts...

:ohno:
There were some good articles yesterday about the number of Republicans that don't want the emergency and the awful position it'll put them all in.

It's a ridiculous idea and sets a terrible precedent. And Trump/Turtle aren't even hiding the fact it became an "emergency" the moment Donks took the House (and as illegal immigration is at a 45-year low).

Let's see how many Conks call this executive overreach.

User avatar
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Posts: 42317
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:20 am
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: Killer Snail
Location: Scottsdale

Re: How Long Will The Next Shutdown Last? (Feb 2019)

Postby dbackjon » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:53 pm

CID1990 wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:
What are your thoughts on the imminent domain implications?

I know you're against civil asset forfeiture... but, imminent domain seems an even more egregious abuse of federal power.


Since I’ve already said that I’m not a capital L libertarian on immigration (they are open borders) then it stands to reason that I’m also OK with eminent domain as it pertains to our borders. I do believe in just compensation- double the average asking price per acre. And we’d be talking about a 20-30 foot wide strip.

That’s also subject to the specificity of what the Federal government wants to do - in this case, there is no other place a border barrier can be placed other than on .. the border. A military base or a nuclear facility would be something different altogether because there are location alternatives.

I’m fully opposed to eminent domain for any other purposes - like when somebody wants to put in a Wal Mart.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


the government is taking more than a 20-30 wide strip - they are planning on a 150' clear area on BOTH SIDES.
Image
Image

User avatar
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Posts: 42317
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:20 am
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: Killer Snail
Location: Scottsdale

Re: How Long Will The Next Shutdown Last? (Feb 2019)

Postby dbackjon » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:55 pm

AZGrizFan wrote:
Ibanez wrote:I'd rather he not shutdown the government in the first place over $5B. Also, I'd rather he not hold hostage over 1M people on a campaign promise that he can't fulfill. Mexico isn't paying for it. We are.


I honestly don't give a **** who pays for it. Just BUILD it. Let El Chappo pay for it. He's a Mexican, ain't he? 8-) 8-)



You and your big money, wasteful government spending
Image
Image

User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 14938
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: How Long Will The Next Shutdown Last? (Feb 2019)

Postby BDKJMU » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:03 pm

The bill was just released today. How are in the hell are House members suppose to be able to read an 1169 page bill & know what's in it, before voting on it this evening? And what happened to the 72 hr rule (bill will be posted for 72 hrs before being voted on)?

User avatar
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Posts: 42317
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:20 am
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: Killer Snail
Location: Scottsdale

Re: How Long Will The Next Shutdown Last? (Feb 2019)

Postby dbackjon » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:19 pm

BDKJMU wrote:The bill was just released today. How are in the hell are House members suppose to be able to read an 1169 page bill & know what's in it, before voting on it this evening? And what happened to the 72 hr rule (bill will be posted for 72 hrs before being voted on)?


Ryan/McConnell trashed that last year
Image
Image

User avatar
CID1990
Level5
Level5
Posts: 20123
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 am
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990
Location: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Re: How Long Will The Next Shutdown Last? (Feb 2019)

Postby CID1990 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:01 pm

dbackjon wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
Since I’ve already said that I’m not a capital L libertarian on immigration (they are open borders) then it stands to reason that I’m also OK with eminent domain as it pertains to our borders. I do believe in just compensation- double the average asking price per acre. And we’d be talking about a 20-30 foot wide strip.

That’s also subject to the specificity of what the Federal government wants to do - in this case, there is no other place a border barrier can be placed other than on .. the border. A military base or a nuclear facility would be something different altogether because there are location alternatives.

I’m fully opposed to eminent domain for any other purposes - like when somebody wants to put in a Wal Mart.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


the government is taking more than a 20-30 wide strip - they are planning on a 150' clear area on BOTH SIDES.


Ok, cool story, changes nothing

Was it good for you?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris


Return to “Politics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: catbooster, Hambone, HI54UNI, kalm, Pwns and 64 guests