Poll: After The Virus?

Political discussions

Have you or your spouse had income interruption due to the virus shutdown?

Poll runs till Fri May 08, 2020 11:18 am

I have lost my income source
9%
My spouse has lost their income source
6%
Both have lost income source
No votes
Neither have been affected at this point
84%

Total votes: 32

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Poll: After The Virus?

Post by AZGrizFan »

What does the country/economy look like after this shit's past? Because it WILL pass....

Most of the financial industry is giving 90-day deferments on all loans if you can prove interruption of income. Those can almost certainly be extended to 180 days if this thing drags out beyond early Summer. But what then? How many businesses survive? How many employees are out of work? My fear is that we (financial services) are just kicking the can down the road 90-180 days, with no concept of how big that "can" is going to be when we come back around to it. That could lead to another wave of "bailouts" for the big boys that us smaller institutions aren't eligible for...

What about the rest of the country/industries? Will we see failure of large companies? Will we see a return of critical manufacturing to our shores? Will we see extended high (20-25%) unemployment? Are we entering a recession? A depression?

And finally, is there ANYBODY on this board who has had interruption of income because of this virus?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Poll: After The Virus?

Post by GannonFan »

We're still good here. Wife is a teacher who was on a sabbatical anyway - teachers are still being paid. I'm in a life-essential business so even with PA "shut down" I go to work everyday. Like I said in the other thread, I just worry for the folks that have lost everything - small business owners, contractors, etc, who can't go to work and don't get paid. They're the ones we need to watch out for and get something passed now for. I don't see the urgency in protecting these people.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:28 am
We're still good here. Wife is a teacher who was on a sabbatical anyway - teachers are still being paid. I'm in a life-essential business so even with PA "shut down" I go to work everyday. Like I said in the other thread, I just worry for the folks that have lost everything - small business owners, contractors, etc, who can't go to work and don't get paid. They're the ones we need to watch out for and get something passed now for. I don't see the urgency in protecting these people.
:thumb: Our elected officials are so worried about forgiving student loan debt or creating a slush fund to "help" big corporations that they're not focusing on the small business owners and employees who have bills but little or no income.

CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:18 am
What does the country/economy look like after this shit's past? Because it WILL pass....

Most of the financial industry is giving 90-day deferments on all loans if you can prove interruption of income. Those can almost certainly be extended to 180 days if this thing drags out beyond early Summer. But what then? How many businesses survive? How many employees are out of work? My fear is that we (financial services) are just kicking the can down the road 90-180 days, with no concept of how big that "can" is going to be when we come back around to it. That could lead to another wave of "bailouts" for the big boys that us smaller institutions aren't eligible for...

What about the rest of the country/industries? Will we see failure of large companies? Will we see a return of critical manufacturing to our shores? Will we see extended high (20-25%) unemployment? Are we entering a recession? A depression?

And finally, is there ANYBODY on this board who has had interruption of income because of this virus?
Many businesses will become casualties, but I think banks have learned that they do not want to take over "ownership" of assets due to default like they did a decade ago. That was the playbook back then, but I believe it has changed. My guess is that there will be further agreements to keep those businesses going somehow.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

We're good. I can easily WFH and not skip a beat. MrsCCU works from home, teaching grad school online. She teaches sewing around town and has had to cancel her classes but aside from that, we're good. SO..wife has lot SOME income source. Ut it's negligible and has zero impact on our ability to do anything. Lil CCU is at home now instead of school so we're teaching her. Aside from that, it's BAU over here.

Last week Lil CCU's dance class was cancelled. This week it's on Zoom (she's currently taking her lesson in the living room). So that's been cool.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17

Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

We design and build Enterprise Grade Networks... we've never been busier
and are considered an essential service

(even though the federal government does not consider the publicly-owned broadband infrastructure an essential service
the guys who design them build them and fix them are considered essential services)

Go figure
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: klam

Post by kalm »

Chizzang wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:01 pm

(even though the federal government does not consider the publicly-owned broadband infrastructure an essential service
the guys who design them build them and fix them are considered essential services)

Go figure
Ive heard a rumor that ISP’s are already throttling service due to traffic. Any truth to this?

ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

Chizzang wrote:

Go figure
You probably use Cisco overpriced junk. Figures

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe

Winterborn
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

I am not affected (considered an essential industry).

I think there will be some failure of a few (non-critical businesses) but overall it was too short for any lasting change. Especially do not think companies will more production back to the States unless it is mandated.

Small business will suffer a big hit as there is nobody lobbying for them a handout and they usually seem to be forgotten. Here in the midwest, I don't think the impact will be that big (as of right now) as we seem to be able to shrug things off a bit better than others. Not sure if that is due to culture where one tends to have a rainy day fund or what. At least that is for the small business owners I know.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

"Cynicism is the smoke that rises from the ashes of burned out dreams.” - Anon

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein

89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Mini refi boom has been nice for me, but I'd much rather be doing purchases, which have been crushed by this. Hopefully when this blows over, like every other panic we've had, the markets will pick up and folks will go back to buying homes.

Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:52 pm
Chizzang wrote:

Go figure
You probably use Cisco overpriced junk. Figures
It depends on the job requirement...
some companies are Cisco Certified and want Cisco hardware - we have no problem building what they ask for

When Cisco isn't a requirement we typically use hardened super high MTBF stuff like Brocade Ruckus ICX
most of our proposals require 100,000 MTBF hardware as a minimum spec per line item

so we can't use Aruba and HP based core stuff - doesn't hit the minimum MTBF

Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

kalm wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:41 pm
Chizzang wrote:

Go figure
Ive heard a rumor that ISP’s are already throttling service due to traffic. Any truth to this?
Ya... traffic is way up
they are throttling at the HUB and not the mac address (Modem)
which we haven't seen in a while

capping the HUB allows them to throttle an entire neighborhood
relaxes the critical servers stress a little

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Blah, blah, :blah:

The important thing is, this outbreak was perfectly timed for my daily trip to UPenn for four weeks straight. Haven't hit a lick of traffic. :clap:
"Hell yes we're going to take your AR-15, your AK-47." - Beta O'Rourke

CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

89Hen wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:20 pm
Mini refi boom has been nice for me, but I'd much rather be doing purchases, which have been crushed by this. Hopefully when this blows over, like every other panic we've had, the markets will pick up and folks will go back to buying homes.
You know anyone from First Heritage?

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

No change in our life except kids being home.
Everything is better with Montana.

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

No change here. House is a bit more tidy now though. Will get to the outside of my house later this week. Saving a good chunk of money by not eating out these past few weeks.

HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

No changes for income. Daughter is home from college and son not in high school either. 3 of us are essential - healthcare, electric utility, and grocery store worker. Actually trying to eat out a little bit more to help out the restaurants.
All my posts are satire.

Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

HI54UNI wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:09 pm
No changes for income. Daughter is home from college and son not in high school either. 3 of us are essential - healthcare, electric utility, and grocery store worker. Actually trying to eat out a little bit more to help out the restaurants.
Are there any cases of COVID-19 on your county?
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

93henfan wrote:Blah, blah, :blah:

The important thing is, this outbreak was perfectly timed for my daily trip to UPenn for four weeks straight. Haven't hit a lick of traffic. :clap:
Preach, sister

My commute to and from Bangkok used to run around an hour and sometimes closer to 2

Now its 25 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

CID1990 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:25 pm
93henfan wrote:Blah, blah, :blah:

Preach, sister

My commute to and from Bangkok used to run around an hour and sometimes closer to 2

Now its 25 minutes

Can't those little boys that pull the little wagon taxis run any faster?

AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

93henfan wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:47 pm
Blah, blah, :blah:

:lol: Little victories!

AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

We've gone to half time here, so yeah some lost income. Hopefully this is short term and half time doesn't become no time.

Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

No issues here whatsoever.

I'm an "essential" state employee, as are pretty much all state employees. I have 13+ people working for me and they are all home teleworking, while I'm all alone in the office. :thumb:

My wife is a microbiologist and works in the hospital laboratory. Business has never been better for her, but its about to get even better. They're going to start COVID-19 testing in a couple of weeks. :clap:

CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

SDHornet wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:25 pm
Preach, sister

Now its 25 minutes

You’re funnay

It’s little girls with fake titties

Get your quips straight
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: klam

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:12 am
SDHornet wrote:
You’re funnay

It’s little girls with fake titties

Get your quips straight
You went through the turnstile sideways, didn’t ya?