Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:48 am
Winterborn wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:56 am

Peer nations? :suspicious: :lol:

Crony capitalism works about as well as social welfare. In that it doesn't.

IMHO the best way to create a strong working class and foster innovation is to get the government out of peoples lives. More social programs, higher taxes, and more red tape by an already bloated government does not do that.

It ALL needs to be cut. :twocents:
Yeah…you know like similar countries with a higher standard of living and happier people.

Again…show me when austerity has led to an increased standard of living. I genuinely am interested of actual examples and not just theories.
So? Freebies will always receive better ratings. Kinda of like the saying "There is no bad free beer."

And who said anything about austerity?

You live within your means and you have self-control on your spending. If you don't, you deal with the consequences. No work, no eat. And maybe you don't get that 80" TV you been lusting after.

I have no problem with helping those that need a helping hand. Just believe it is the role of private parties and not the government to do so. You should really take a read at the private aid organizations that existed in the first 100 year or so of America. They filled the need without government involvement and much more efficiently as well.

The government has taken "helping" people out to "providing" for on a permanent basis. But hey, aleast they vote the way they are told.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:01 am
CID1990 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:18 am
I’m not bitching about anything. I’m applauding the Democrats right now. And you’re floundering around.

Throw some more strawmen at me I like whack a mole on a slow Tuesday
This would be fine if none of us had a history of where we stand politically.

In this case…you’re applauding a “corruptocrat” because he scratches your limited government itch over an “abortion of a bill”. The irony… :lol:
And you applaud a “corruptocrat” because she scratches your prosecute the rioters itch over the “January 6 insurrection”. The irony… :lol:

IMO the corruptocrat from West Virginia did this country and our grandchildren and great-grandchildren a huge favor.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

In other news, Virginians stuck on the Interstate blame Youngkin, who won't become Governor until Jan 15th.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

I vote for idiot.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Was looking for a word to explain a story my brother told me last week.

Neiman Marxist fits the bill.
A college-educated vaguely bohemian liberal (usually female and white) who, while shopping for $400 jeans and planning visits to exclusive Vegas nightclubs, espouses Marxist revolution, loves Che and/or anti-WTO protests, and claims empathy for the poor and oppressed as long as they don't move in next door. He or she will have traveled to a relatively safe city in the developing world with Starbucks, like Dubai, Buenos Aires, or Cape Town. Will have a piece of "ethnic" art in his or her condominium and/or suburban house in a gated community.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... %20Marxist

My brother's future sister-in-law fits the above. Turned down a Christmas gift from them (in front of their family) as it was "cultural appropriation". The gift in question was a set of handmade earrings form a local Native American artists that makes custom jewelry while you watch.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Winterborn wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:39 am Was looking for a word to explain a story my brother told me last week.

A college-educated vaguely bohemian liberal (usually female and white) who, while shopping for $400 jeans and planning visits to exclusive Vegas nightclubs, espouses Marxist revolution, loves Che and/or anti-WTO protests, and claims empathy for the poor and oppressed as long as they don't move in next door. He or she will have traveled to a relatively safe city in the developing world with Starbucks, like Dubai, Buenos Aires, or Cape Town. Will have a piece of "ethnic" art in his or her condominium and/or suburban house in a gated community.

My brother's future sister-in-law fits the above. Turned down a Christmas gift from them (in front of their family) as it was "cultural appropriation". The gift in question was a set of handmade earrings form a local Native American artists that makes custom jewelry while you watch.
Buying that custom jewelry helps the Native American artist put food on their table. She sounds like a dumbass who doesn't understand the difference between cultural appropriation and cultural appreciation.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:00 pm
Winterborn wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:39 am Was looking for a word to explain a story my brother told me last week.

Buying that custom jewelry helps the Native American artist put food on their table. She sounds like a dumbass who doesn't understand the difference between cultural appropriation and cultural appreciation.

She is just straight up an idiot. Her life choices prove that on a weekly basis. Logic does not compute with her.

Interesting thing is that her younger sister is a hard core fiscal conservative/libertarian (as is my brother's fiance). The only difference in their life experiences, is that Mom and Dad bailed out the middle child out of every mistake she made and continues to make.

CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:18 am I’m not bitching about anything. I’m applauding the Democrats right now. And you’re floundering around.

Throw some more strawmen at me I like whack a mole on a slow Tuesday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This would be fine if none of us had a history of where we stand politically.

In this case…you’re applauding a “corruptocrat” because he scratches your limited government itch over an “abortion of a bill”. The irony… :lol:
No, I am applauding Manchin because I do not want the government spending that much money, period.

I am applauding Democrats in general for demonizing moderation, misjudging what most Americans want, and consigning themselves to the political wilderness for the next 20 years.

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:03 am
kalm wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:48 am

Yeah…you know like similar countries with a higher standard of living and happier people.

Again…show me when austerity has led to an increased standard of living. I genuinely am interested of actual examples and not just theories.
So? Freebies will always receive better ratings. Kinda of like the saying "There is no bad free beer."

You live within your means and you have self-control on your spending. If you don't, you deal with the consequences. No work, no eat. And maybe you don't get that 80" TV you been lusting after.

I have no problem with helping those that need a helping hand. Just believe it is the role of private parties and not the government to do so. You should really take a read at the private aid organizations that existed in the first 100 year or so of America. They filled the need without government involvement and much more efficiently as well.

The government has taken "helping" people out to "providing" for on a permanent basis. But hey, aleast they vote the way they are told.
So if not austerity, how do we reduce the debt?

I agree on what people SHOULD do to live within their means. I’m also concerned about the work ethic of the younger generations. I’m curmudgeonly too. But don’t forget that a big chunk of our economy is based on the opposite. We need them to spend beyond their means. We need them to buy objects that make life “convenient”.

It’s just not that realistic especially in a nation of 333 million. That’s millions of dumb, lazy people.

:mrgreen:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:23 pm
Winterborn wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:03 am

I agree on what people SHOULD do to live within their means. I’m also concerned about the work ethic of the younger generations. I’m curmudgeonly too. But don’t forget that a big chunk of our economy is based on the opposite. We need them to spend beyond their means. We need them to buy objects that make life “convenient”.

It’s just not that realistic especially in a nation of 333 million. That’s millions of dumb, lazy people.

So we have to coddle them and take care of them in retirement because they're dumb and lazy? How does that end? Do they learn to take care of themselves or do they learn to rely on the government? What happens to the government's income stream if the number of people relying on the government increases over time? What happens to our productivity, innovation and quality of life.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

UNI88 wrote:
kalm wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:23 pm So if not austerity, how do we reduce the debt?

So we have to coddle them and take care of them in retirement because they're dumb and lazy? How does that end? Do they learn to take care of themselves or do they learn to rely on the government? What happens to the government's income stream if the number of people relying on the government increases over time? What happens to our productivity, innovation and quality of life.
History has already answered most of those questions.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:42 pm

Or we could, you know, swing a little bit back to a more stable, and sustainable economic system that serves all the people.

Nah….. :lol:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:07 pm

Or we could, you know, swing a little bit back to a more stable, and sustainable economic system that serves all the people.

What, exactly does a “more stable and sustainable economic system” look like, oh Wise One…? :coffee: :coffee: We already have the greatest economy in the world. We have the richest rich and the richest poor (by a considerable margin, I might add)…
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

:+1:

Cid beat me too it but history shows what happens when you coddle and take away responsibility from the citizens. And it only seems like "austerity" because they been feed wagyu beef and now they might* have to cut back to, gasp, a casserole.

*And to be a bit realistic their pork train is not ending anytime soon. Both sides need to keep up the appearances and pull in votes.

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:26 pm

What, exactly does a “more stable and sustainable economic system” look like, oh Wise One…? :coffee: :coffee: We already have the greatest economy in the world. We have the richest rich and the richest poor (by a considerable margin, I might add)…
America was built on the idea that everybody would be given the opportunity to succeed not that everybody would succeed.

No system is perfect but the one we have is the best by far, warts and all. It just has jumped the shark a bit due to conflating the difference in the two ideas.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:15 am

America was built on the idea that everybody would be given the opportunity to succeed not that everybody would succeed.

No system is perfect but the one we have is the best by far, warts and all. It just has jumped the shark a bit due to conflating the difference in the two ideas.
That's the crux...so many conflate those two ideas. Yes, this country has kept blacks, women and other minorities down. But those days are long gone and we've been rectifying that issue for over a century. We're making strides to ensure that those that were denied opportunities are brought up to the same level. They're given preferential treatment and have gov't loans, grants, programs specifically for them. Progressives think we should be in a utopia and that just isn't realistic. We're always going to be imperfect and run by imperfect people. The goal is to make sure we're upholding that promise that all those that wish to succeed, have the opportunity to.

What you do with that opportunity is up to you
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:52 am
Winterborn wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:15 am

That's the crux...so many conflate those two ideas. Yes, this country has kept blacks, women and other minorities down. But those days are long gone and we've been rectifying that issue for over a century. We're making strides to ensure that those that were denied opportunities are brought up to the same level. They're given preferential treatment and have gov't loans, grants, programs specifically for them. Progressives think we should be in a utopia and that just isn't realistic. We're always going to be imperfect and run by imperfect people. The goal is to make sure we're upholding that promise that all those that wish to succeed, have the opportunity to.

From what I've been told, our system was built off and ingrained in white supremacy. That is why it must be destroyed and replaced with a system that is more equitable and fair for all. :nod:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:52 am
Winterborn wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:15 am America was built on the idea that everybody would be given the opportunity to succeed not that everybody would succeed.

kalm wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:14 am
UNI88 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:54 pm [url=https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/rooftop ... experiment]Rooftop Revelations: Chicago's South Side is a failed experiment in the pursuit for equality of outcome[/url

I've argued against equality of outcomes for years.
Tough to argue with.
Equality of Outcome doesn't work. Kalm knows this but has trouble letting go of the concept so he tries to advocate for it piecemeal.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:59 am

Cid beat me too it but history shows what happens when you coddle and take away responsibility from the citizens. And it only seems like "austerity" because they been feed wagyu beef and now they might* have to cut back to, gasp, a casserole.

*And to be a bit realistic their pork train is not ending anytime soon. Both sides need to keep up the appearances and pull in votes.
History has also shown what happens to plutocracies. Whether the unfairness is just perceived or real.

Again…part of the pork train continuing, is so much of our economy relies upon the masses spending. Amazon and it’s producers want/need the working poor to spend beyond their means.

And can we include defense contractors as part of the working poor?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:01 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:52 am That's the crux...so many conflate those two ideas. Yes, this country has kept blacks, women and other minorities down. But those days are long gone and we've been rectifying that issue for over a century. We're making strides to ensure that those that were denied opportunities are brought up to the same level. They're given preferential treatment and have gov't loans, grants, programs specifically for them. Progressives think we should be in a utopia and that just isn't realistic. We're always going to be imperfect and run by imperfect people. The goal is to make sure we're upholding that promise that all those that wish to succeed, have the opportunity to.

Tough to argue with.
Equality of Outcome doesn't work. Kalm knows this but has trouble letting go of the concept so he tries to advocate for it piecemeal.
Open mindedness bad! Hurts ear balls!
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

The US for 60 years after the Great Depression and WWII. The nordics. Costa Rica.

Success and greatest can be measured in different ways.

You’re the young bull to my old bull in this scenario. :mrgreen:
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

I wanna hear more about Fascism and Joe Manchin!

That was such an awesomely goofy doodle I’m hoping the left keeps pushing all the oppo research on a moderate Dem senator!

And here’s the real idiocy that nobody is mentioning…

Joe Manchin has 4 or 5 other Dem senators hiding behind his skirt, who also won’t vote for this ridiculous bill

Mark Kelly
Catherine Cortez Masto
Jon Tester
Maggie Hassan
Kirsten Sinema

Maybe the media should ask them like they ask ol King Joe

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:01 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:52 am That's the crux...so many conflate those two ideas. Yes, this country has kept blacks, women and other minorities down. But those days are long gone and we've been rectifying that issue for over a century. We're making strides to ensure that those that were denied opportunities are brought up to the same level. They're given preferential treatment and have gov't loans, grants, programs specifically for them. Progressives think we should be in a utopia and that just isn't realistic. We're always going to be imperfect and run by imperfect people. The goal is to make sure we're upholding that promise that all those that wish to succeed, have the opportunity to.

Tough to argue with.
At least it gives us something to argue about. Board would get stale.

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:03 am
Winterborn wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:59 am

History has also shown what happens to plutocracies. Whether the unfairness is just perceived or real.

Again…part of the pork train continuing, is so much of our economy relies upon the masses spending. Amazon and it’s producers want/need the working poor to spend beyond their means.

And can we include defense contractors as part of the working poor?
You are great at shifting topics. :lol:

And back to the original premise I stated. If it all needs to be cut, kinda of implies that most people/companies are going to be unhappy. Which I am perfectly fine with. They can adapt or choose not to.

:kisswink:

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:07 am

The US for 60 years after the Great Depression and WWII. The nordics. Costa Rica.

Success and greatest can be measured in different ways.

You’re the young bull to my old bull in this scenario. :mrgreen:
Right. So only countries that fall under the US’s protective umbrella. Got it. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12